What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

Just got a phone call from Brooke with the Buff Club asking for a donation. I usually donate and I felt bad telling Brooke not at this time. I let her know I am disappointed in the trajectory of our football program as my reason for not donating this time. She let me know that we are really close to being good and that they have made BIG steps recently. I let her know I have been following the program for over 30+ years, and am aware of the product us fans are seeing. I feel bad for not donating, but like I said a couple weeks ago, I am done. No more contributions till I see some change.

I do feel bad. These could be the donations that make the difference. I have just been so snake bitten and had to draw a line.
If every person in the state of Colorado would just donate like $10 to the AD every year, we’d be ****ing loaded and could afford to do whatever we want!

Maybe we should start a gofundme for our crippled football program

Just got a phone call from Brooke with the Buff Club asking for a donation. I usually donate and I felt bad telling Brooke not at this time. I let her know I am disappointed in the trajectory of our football program as my reason for not donating this time. She let me know that we are really close to being good and that they have made BIG steps recently. I let her know I have been following the program for over 30+ years, and am aware of the product us fans are seeing. I feel bad for not donating, but like I said a couple weeks ago, I am done. No more contributions till I see some change.

I do feel bad. These could be the donations that make the difference. I have just been so snake bitten and had to draw a line.
I don't supposed you asked what the BIG steps were....

Meme Reaction GIF

did you tell Brook that her reporting of BIG steps is completely contradicting HCKD's message of "subtle changes"? did she elaborate on what these BIG steps were?

If every person in the state of Colorado would just donate like $10 to the AD every year, we’d be ****ing loaded and could afford to do whatever we want!

Maybe we should start a gofundme for our crippled football program
a VT FB group I'm in did the math and calculated that if every member of that group donated $40 we could buy out Justin Fuente's contract

As long as people keep donating regardless of the product they have no reason to fix the product.

What we need is a lot more people doing what you are doing and say no.

#defundthecuad

I'm not yet completely convinced this is a path to football success. I do appreciate why those who donated in the past aren't willing to now.

It's tough love time. It's really the only way alums/fans can make their voices heard. With that, and people like Kelli Brook in the ear of RG, hopefully we'll see some changes soon. But I'm not holding my breath.

Our defunding of the program will not change the direction, it will be the final push into the death spiral.

Stood out to me too- even stepping back to the 10K foot view, it specifically said to do this "for all 17varsity sports."

Since this initiative was started, how close has CU been to a P12 or national championship in ANY of the 17 varsity sports? I would define "competing for a championship" as a championship game appearance or a top 2-3 finish if it's something like golf or T&F:
  • Definitely meet that criteria (5/17):
    • Mens and Women's CC have won multiple P12 titles and have definitely been in the mix for a national title nearly every year, winning 1 each
    • Skiing has won one title and is in the mix every year
    • MBB usually is in the mix for a P12 title, and went to the championship last year
    • Women's lacrosse has constantly been in the top of the standings for the P12, competed for a P12 championship, and won multiple NCAA tourney games
  • Sort of meet that criteria (3/17):
    • Women's golf has usually been a middle of the Pac 12 finisher most years, although they finished 2nd one year and made the NCAA championships the next year
    • Football competed in 2016 for P12 title, but outside of that- LOL.
  • Get close to meeting that criteria (2/17):
    • Volleyball has it rough in a very rugged conference, but has finished no better than 4th, although they did make a Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament one year.
    • Soccer was in the top 3 of the P12 standings a couple of years, won multiple NCAA tourney games
  • Definitely do NOT meet the criteria (7/17):
    • WBB has been middle of the pack, at best.
    • I don't think men's golf has ever even finished in the top half of the Pac12
    • Men's and Women's track count as different varsity sports for both indoor ad outdoor seasons. In outdoor they compete in the Pac12 and in indoor they compete in RMAF- they've won 0 conference titles combined, and I don't think they've been in the mix ever.
    • Women's tennis has not been very competitive as a team despite some standout performers.
Interesting to me that RG has hired coaches for 0 programs in the top group (not counting skiing as his hire hasn't completed a season yet), 1 program in the second group, 1 program in the 3rd group, and 2 programs in the 3rd group.

The most successful hires in that group are Wetmore, Rokos, Boyle, Whidden, and maybe Mahoney and/or Sanchez, and RG hired ONE of them (Mahoney).

If the goal is to compete for and win championships, why hasn't there been more accountability for not doing so?
A quick asterisk for the track and field teams: you can only have 12.5 men's and 18 women's scholarships across track and field *including* cross country.

This generally means it's very hard and borderline impossible to actually compete at a championship level in both cross country and track. Especially if you take Wetmore's approach of developing US distance runners (as opposed to just recruiting from other countries).

Basically, because track and cross country have to share the same scholarship athlete pool, I think you have to combine them as one sport in your analysis.

A quick asterisk for the track and field teams: you can only have 12.5 men's and 18 women's scholarships across track and field *including* cross country.

This generally means it's very hard and borderline impossible to actually compete at a championship level in both cross country and track. Especially if you take Wetmore's approach of developing US distance runners (as opposed to just recruiting from other countries).

Basically, because track and cross country have to share the same scholarship athlete pool, I think you have to combine them as one sport in your analysis.
Thanks- this is super insightful and explains to me why CU is typically dominant in CC and not very competitive in T&F despite a great distance program. I've always wondered about that.

I'd be interested to understand how Oregon does it

Thanks- this is super insightful and explains to me why CU is typically dominant in CC and not very competitive in T&F despite a great distance program. I've always wondered about that.

I'd be interested to understand how Oregon does it

Some names that have lower buyout than Karl Dorrell ($14.8 million) as of 12/1:
Kirby Smart, Dan Mullen, Herm Edwards, Chip Kelly, Mike Grundy, Jess Fisch.
I get that some of these guys have less years left on their contract, but my word, this is inexcusable.

That has nothing to do with the Ducks.
Possibly, but it also raises a lot of questions.

An intricate doping program operated out of Nike HQ, less than 2 hours from campus. Nike and the Oregon T&F have been in a very close relationship for decades, and many of the athletes cross paths with the Oregon Project athletes. So while there is no concrete evidence of the doping extending to the UOTF, it's certainly enough to warrant some questions.

I personally find it hard to believe that Nike would sanction a doping program for elite T&F athletes at their Oregon HQ, and not at least attempt to extend that to their elite runners at the University that is basically an extension of the company.

Great points.

Specific for CU, I would also suspect that training at altitude does a lot more for developing endurance than it does for building fast twitch sprinting muscles.

I get that some of these guys have less years left on their contract, but my word, this is inexcusable.

bbc crying GIF

Karl & his agent:
Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

Rick George:

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Me:

Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

Our defunding of the program will not change the direction, it will be the final push into the death spiral.
What do we have left? 15 years of crummy performance. Has anything else worked? I am serious, not trying to be snarky. Many fans have been there through thin and thin. What else would possibly get the attention of the administration?

What do we have left? 15 years of crummy performance. Has anything else worked? I am serious, not trying to be snarky. Many fans have been there through thin and thin. What else would possibly get the attention of the administration?
We use UncleKen as bait, to lure Rick into an Mob controlled, off track betting ring, that fixes slip and slide competitions?

I was at a banquet up there last night. RG spoke and seemed all in on KD and his staff. I don't look for a change anytime soon. I think they will win tomorrow, maybe that will start something.

An intricate doping program operated out of Nike HQ, less than 2 hours from campus. Nike and the Oregon T&F have been in a very close relationship for decades, and many of the athletes cross paths with the Oregon Project athletes. So while there is no concrete evidence of the doping extending to the UOTF, it's certainly enough to warrant some questions.

I personally find it hard to believe that Nike would sanction a doping program for elite T&F athletes at their Oregon HQ, and not at least attempt to extend that to their elite runners at the University that is basically an extension of the company.
Nike is all in on Bowerman Track Club.

Nike has too much to lose to be deeply involved in that kind of conspiracy.

Back