What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I’m happy that it’s not just @manhattanbuff and me wanting RG gone anymore. Welcome to the train folks. Spoiler: the train runs off a cliff before any changes happen.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
I don't know about the "made of stone" stuff. During the 1st half (?) on Saturday, he went ape **** on the offensive coaching staff when they couldn't get their **** together and dial up a play. I'm trying to remember the exact situation, I think we may have just gotten a first down somewhere around our 35, and for some reason, there was complete confusion about what play to run, or what personnel grouping we wanted to use (maybe it was 3rd and short, I forget). He absolutely lost his **** screaming at the group of guys who were trying to signal in the play.
Getting a first down confused Chev and he didn't have anything beyond 3 scripted plays.
mountain of madness fire GIF

What seems weird to me in the whole Melvin departs, RG panics contract saga, is RG allegedly pressed for terms with Sark and EB (i.e. keeping some AC's) and then completely rolls over for HCKD, a guy that really had no other option than staying as position coach at Miami.

What seems weird to me in the whole Melvin departs, RG panics contract saga, is RG allegedly pressed for terms with Sark and EB (i.e. keeping some AC's) and then completely rolls over for HCKD, a guy that really had no other option than staying as position coach at Miami.
"Well if you accept those things, what can I do for you?"

Well those two didn't accept those terms. KD did, and that's why he got the job. If Sark or EB had accepted those terms (read: Chev) then they too would have likely had a ridiculous buyout if we fired them. Although the chances of us firing either would have been astronomically lower than the chances of firing KD. In that they have managed to stay in prominent coaching positions for a majority of their careers rather than getting one head job and failing before failing even more miserably as an OC.

Well those two didn't accept those terms. KD did, and that's why he got the job. If Sark or EB had accepted those terms (read: Chev) then they too would have likely had a ridiculous buyout if we fired them. Although the chances of us firing either would have been astronomically lower than the chances of firing KD. In that they have managed to stay in prominent coaching positions for a majority of their careers rather than getting one head job and failing before failing even more miserably as an OC.
It seems incredible to me that keeping Chev was so high of a priority.

Read and form your own conclusion as to the success.... https://cubuffs.com/sports/2014/2/19/209411063.aspx

SWEET JESUS. That is embarrassing word salad gobbledegook of the lowest order. D+

Note to any young folks who lurk here - If you're out in the working world and they talk like this at your job, head for the door. It's not going to end well.

Make's you see the beauty of Al Davis'es "Just Win Baby".....

SWEET JESUS. That is embarrassing word salad gobbledegook of the lowest order. D+

Note to any young folks who lurk here - If you're out in the working world and they talk like this at your job, head for the door. It's not going to end well.

Make's you see the beauty of Al Davis'es "Just Win Baby".....
"...compete for and win championships." That is what stood out to me. By my reckoning, RG has been at the helm for 100 FB games, even. CU has won 41 of those games. I didn't bother to discriminate as to how many of the 41 came against the csewe and Texas St.s of the world.....

I had a worse-case scenario thought today.

I think there is a unfortunate possibility that RG agreed to a huge buyout for Dorrell, because his main priority is not having to hire another football coach. Winning is a much lower priority than RG wanting to be comfortable in his job.

He does not want to deal with another Tucker, who was constantly asking for support that the CU AD would not give him. So, with his top priority being to not have to hire a new football coach under any circumstances, he knowingly agreed to a ridiculous buyout to avoid having to fire Dorrell any time soon.

"...compete for and win championships." That is what stood out to me. By my reckoning, RG has been at the helm for 100 FB games, even. CU has won 41 of those games. I didn't bother to discriminate as to how many of the 41 came against the csewe and Texas St.s of the world.....
Stood out to me too- even stepping back to the 10K foot view, it specifically said to do this "for all 17varsity sports."

Since this initiative was started, how close has CU been to a P12 or national championship in ANY of the 17 varsity sports? I would define "competing for a championship" as a championship game appearance or a top 2-3 finish if it's something like golf or T&F:
  • Definitely meet that criteria (5/17):
    • Mens and Women's CC have won multiple P12 titles and have definitely been in the mix for a national title nearly every year, winning 1 each
    • Skiing has won one title and is in the mix every year
    • MBB usually is in the mix for a P12 title, and went to the championship last year
    • Women's lacrosse has constantly been in the top of the standings for the P12, competed for a P12 championship, and won multiple NCAA tourney games
  • Sort of meet that criteria (3/17):
    • Women's golf has usually been a middle of the Pac 12 finisher most years, although they finished 2nd one year and made the NCAA championships the next year
    • Football competed in 2016 for P12 title, but outside of that- LOL.
  • Get close to meeting that criteria (2/17):
    • Volleyball has it rough in a very rugged conference, but has finished no better than 4th, although they did make a Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament one year.
    • Soccer was in the top 3 of the P12 standings a couple of years, won multiple NCAA tourney games
  • Definitely do NOT meet the criteria (7/17):
    • WBB has been middle of the pack, at best.
    • I don't think men's golf has ever even finished in the top half of the Pac12
    • Men's and Women's track count as different varsity sports for both indoor ad outdoor seasons. In outdoor they compete in the Pac12 and in indoor they compete in RMAF- they've won 0 conference titles combined, and I don't think they've been in the mix ever.
    • Women's tennis has not been very competitive as a team despite some standout performers.
Interesting to me that RG has hired coaches for 0 programs in the top group (not counting skiing as his hire hasn't completed a season yet), 1 program in the second group, 1 program in the 3rd group, and 2 programs in the 3rd group.

The most successful hires in that group are Wetmore, Rokos, Boyle, Whidden, and maybe Mahoney and/or Sanchez, and RG hired ONE of them (Mahoney).

If the goal is to compete for and win championships, why hasn't there been more accountability for not doing so?

Stood out to me too- even stepping back to the 10K foot view, it specifically said to do this "for all 17varsity sports."

Since this initiative was started, how close has CU been to a P12 or national championship in ANY of the 17 varsity sports? I would define "competing for a championship" as a championship game appearance or a top 2-3 finish if it's something like golf or T&F:
  • Definitely meet that criteria (5/17):
    • Mens and Women's CC have won multiple P12 titles and have definitely been in the mix for a national title nearly every year, winning 1 each
    • Skiing has won one title and is in the mix every year
    • MBB usually is in the mix for a P12 title, and went to the championship last year
    • Women's lacrosse has constantly been in the top of the standings for the P12, competed for a P12 championship, and won multiple NCAA tourney games
  • Sort of meet that criteria (3/17):
    • Women's golf has usually been a middle of the Pac 12 finisher most years, although they finished 2nd one year and made the NCAA championships the next year
    • Football competed in 2016 for P12 title, but outside of that- LOL.
  • Get close to meeting that criteria (2/17):
    • Volleyball has it rough in a very rugged conference, but has finished no better than 4th, although they did make a Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament one year.
    • Soccer was in the top 3 of the P12 standings a couple of years, won multiple NCAA tourney games
  • Definitely do NOT meet the criteria (7/17):
    • WBB has been middle of the pack, at best.
    • I don't think men's golf has ever even finished in the top half of the Pac12
    • Men's and Women's track count as different varsity sports for both indoor ad outdoor seasons. In outdoor they compete in the Pac12 and in indoor they compete in RMAF- they've won 0 conference titles combined, and I don't think they've been in the mix ever.
    • Women's tennis has not been very competitive as a team despite some standout performers.
Interesting to me that RG has hired coaches for 0 programs in the top group (not counting skiing as his hire hasn't completed a season yet), 1 program in the second group, 1 program in the 3rd group, and 2 programs in the 3rd group.

The most successful hires in that group are Wetmore, Rokos, Boyle, Whidden, and maybe Mahoney and/or Sanchez, and RG hired ONE of them (Mahoney).

If the goal is to compete for and win championships, why hasn't there been more accountability for not doing so?
Good analysis. I agree, but would add, FB is the driver. If you fail there, the rest, while interesting, is window dressing. Unfortunately, RG is in charge of a FB team that is not succeeding on any level 7 of the 8 years he has been AD. I fear this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Nice work. If RG was in corporate America performing at that level?
He would have been fired, and bounce job to job.

Good analysis. I agree, but would add, FB is the driver. If you fail there, the rest, while interesting, is window dressing. Unfortunately, RG is in charge of a FB team that is not succeeding on any level 7 of the 8 years he has been AD. I fear this is going to get worse before it gets better.
This is true- if he had hit a HR on any of his FB hires, he'd have a lot of house money to play with in terms of getting the rest of the AD right. As it stands, MT was the stupid ground rule double from the Rays-Red Sox game the other night, and KD is hitting into a double play.

He basically kneecapped himself.

Mel Tucker is big time. No wonder he didn’t want to work for Rick.

“Tucker sets the tone when it comes to Michigan State’s recruiting practices. He believes recruiting should be the lifeblood of any program. He demands that his assistant coaches and support staff view it the same way. The portal was no exception, but it did require a change in approach.

Recruiting out of the portal is different than high school recruiting. When they recruit the high school ranks, programs have to roll out the red carpet. Prospects want to feel valued and wanted. It’s why so many recruiting departments, Michigan State’s included,have dedicated creative teams and employees whose jobs require them to come up with eye-popping graphics, edits and videos to catch a prospect’s attention, which then paves the way for coaches to further sell the program.

But that’s not necessarily the case with a player in the portal. Many already have gone through that, and it may not be important at this stage in their career. When players enter the portal, there may be a greater sense of urgency to make things work the second time around. Maybe the coach who recruited them left. Maybe they were passed up at their previous school. Maybe they wanted a scheme that would better feature their talents.”

Mel Tucker is big time. No wonder he didn’t want to work for Rick.

“Tucker sets the tone when it comes to Michigan State’s recruiting practices. He believes recruiting should be the lifeblood of any program. He demands that his assistant coaches and support staff view it the same way. The portal was no exception, but it did require a change in approach.

Recruiting out of the portal is different than high school recruiting. When they recruit the high school ranks, programs have to roll out the red carpet. Prospects want to feel valued and wanted. It’s why so many recruiting departments, Michigan State’s included,have dedicated creative teams and employees whose jobs require them to come up with eye-popping graphics, edits and videos to catch a prospect’s attention, which then paves the way for coaches to further sell the program.

But that’s not necessarily the case with a player in the portal. Many already have gone through that, and it may not be important at this stage in their career. When players enter the portal, there may be a greater sense of urgency to make things work the second time around. Maybe the coach who recruited them left. Maybe they were passed up at their previous school. Maybe they wanted a scheme that would better feature their talents.”
Yeah, well we have Bob Lopez, so there.

Just got a phone call from Brooke with the Buff Club asking for a donation. I usually donate and I felt bad telling Brooke not at this time. I let her know I am disappointed in the trajectory of our football program as my reason for not donating this time. She let me know that we are really close to being good and that they have made BIG steps recently. I let her know I have been following the program for over 30+ years, and am aware of the product us fans are seeing. I feel bad for not donating, but like I said a couple weeks ago, I am done. No more contributions till I see some change.

I do feel bad. These could be the donations that make the difference. I have just been so snake bitten and had to draw a line.

Back