What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I can tell y’all… one person in the AD who doesn’t hate Distefano is Rick George. $1mm per year is the base salary before bonuses and incentives. He also gets a $150K base pay raise through 2026. Second extension.

I don't know the inner workings of the athletic department as well as some, but the fact that there is still not a person who's full-time roll is focused solely on NIL development seems inexcusable. That coupled with the fact that Box State Dorrell and Bob "what would you say you do here" ****ing Lopez are still employed is dumbfounding. Add that to the ever-growing list of RGs shortcomings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 9.20.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 9.20.23 PM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 19
I don't know the inner workings of the athletic department as well as some, but the fact that there is still not a person who's full-time roll is focused solely on NIL development seems inexcusable. That coupled with the fact that Box State Dorrell and Bob "what would you say you do here" ****ing Lopez are still employed is dumbfounding. Add that to the ever-growing list of RGs shortcomings.
How long did it take CU to get a modern facility upgrade? I'd like to be surprised but it's CU at the end of the day, we're 20 years behind the curve on everything.

CU is a great case study on how not to do things.

Someone born in the 60's is NOT a BOOMER you f%$king Generation Crackhead :eek::p
Ok-boomer-1024x564.jpg

I get the general feeling. I generally agree.

I'm not sure you realize that I'm talking about replacing a CU guy for a position that includes connecting the current players with former players, alumni and community relations, etc.

If you're going to hire 1 Buff in the athletic department, this job is probably right behind Cabral's position for where it's almost a job requirement.
If Blake Anderson (using him as a hypothetical because he's in that league) wants to hire Sykes, great. If not, whatever. Two things are true at the same time. Assuming we get a new head coach, its trust that he has a plan until he shows us otherwise.

As much as we might be frustrated with RG, the reality is that it’s extremely unlikely he will be fired any time soon. Probably best for our own mental well being that we forget about trying to get him fired and figure out how to fix this sinking ship with him as the captain.

As much as we might be frustrated with RG, the reality is that it’s extremely unlikely he will be fired any time soon. Probably best for our own mental well being that we forget about trying to get him fired and figure out how to fix this sinking ship with him as the captain.
You are the same person who has argued that it's all pointless until Phil is gone, right?

By your logic we shouldn't even bother fixing the sinking ship. Phil is still there. So just sit back and enjoy the ride.
That’s not my logic at all. By my logic, Phil ain’t going to fire RG under any circumstances, so we better get used to RG until at least Phil is gone.

I will give him slack for making bad decisions on drugs if he at least partially fixes his mistakes by paying CU back the difference between what he agreed to pay Karl and what Karl's market rate was. Or finding a whale that fixes it AND funds a bad ass NIL program.

If not, no, he should own that mistake and resign.

The idea that he should resign because his boss told him what to do is also absurd. We all do things we don’t agree with when our bosses tell us to do them. None of us know what kind of meddling Phil has been involved with, but it’s a safe bet that he’s had his fingers in a lot of the poor decisions that were made seeing as he is the common thread that runs through all of those poor decisions. Saying “If RG didn’t like it, he should retire” is just silly. Nobody does that. Realistically, his options were very limited. Seeing as he is going to be here for the next coaching hire regardless, the entire debate is kind of pointless. Best case scenario is that Phil is excepted from the process and RG gains some sense of focus and motivation that I think we all would agree that he did have at one point.

The idea that he should resign because his boss told him what to do is also absurd. We all do things we don’t agree with when our bosses tell us to do them. None of us know what kind of meddling Phil has been involved with, but it’s a safe bet that he’s had his fingers in a lot of the poor decisions that were made seeing as he is the common thread that runs through all of those poor decisions. Saying “If RG didn’t like it, he should retire” is just silly. Nobody does that. Realistically, his options were very limited. Seeing as he is going to be here for the next coaching hire regardless, the entire debate is kind of pointless. Best case scenario is that Phil is excepted from the process and RG gains some sense of focus and motivation that I think we all would agree that he did have at one point.
You resign if what you’re told to do is unethical. If I quit from corporate America every time I was told to do something dumb….

Hiring a football coach is probably the single most important decision an AD makes. It also gets the most publicity. RG just came off of a successful fundraising campaign, and pulled off an extremely well-received hire by the public in Mel Tucker. If KD was forced on him, he most certainly could have resigned, buried the CU administration, and found another AD job.

Alternatively, if KD was forced on RG, you would think he would lay the groundwork in interviews to distance himself from the hire. Saying it was a team effort with Phil, instead of telling the world, "I like this guy! I'm going to hire him!"

This discussion about RG not being responsible for the Dorrell debacle is preposterous based on the facts that we know.

Hiring a football coach is probably the single most important decision an AD makes. It also gets the most publicity. RG just came off of a successful fundraising campaign, and pulled off an extremely well-received hire by the public in Mel Tucker. If KD was forced on him, he most certainly could have resigned, buried the CU administration, and found another AD job.

Alternatively, if KD was forced on RG, you would think he would lay the groundwork in interviews to distance himself from the hire. Saying it was a team effort with Phil, instead of telling the world, "I like this guy! I'm going to hire him!"

This discussion about RG not being responsible for the Dorrell debacle is preposterous based on the facts that we know.

I think I see the disconnect. Nobody is saying RG isn’t responsible. More that he was put in a position where he had little choice but to make a poor decision. Yeah, it was his decision. Phil didn’t tell him to hire Dorrell. Phil *probably* told RG that he expected a coach that had certain characteristics. None of which had much to do with being an actual good football coach.
Again, at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter because RG ain’t going anywhere while Phil is still here. You want to get rid of RG? Get rid of Phil first.

Back