What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

So let’s recap RGs performance:

1) Hiring Karl: horrible, everyone knew it was doomed from the opening presser. No, this wasn’t the only option available to us

2) Negotiation and contracts: horrible, lost Sark, Mel paid us a paltry 3MM to leave, shot himself in both kneecaps with Karl’s guarantees. Paid well above market rate for a coach nobody wanted

3) Marketing, promotion, and community outreach/involvement: absolute bottom of the barrel, this triggers me more than the rest

4) Revenue development: horrible, naming rights? HELLO RICK GET IT DONE WE NEED THE MONEY

5) Shoes: taste of a 7th grader

6) Fundraising: allegedly a strength, but apparently we’re unable to cough up 4-5MM in a negotiated settlement paid out over several years sooooo…… wtf? Clearly that can’t be a strength if we can’t find out how to make that work
#4 is really perplexing ...like WTF !!

So you are only saying I am half correct? The fact that the poster said he was born in '67 (I think) makes him NOT a Boomer. But my comment of "people not being a boomer if they were born in the 60's" is only good from '65-'69.

I will take the 50% win.
moral victories ftmfw!

juice boxes all around!

got a t shirt for you:

Almost!-01.jpeg

oh, and he was born in September of 65, which makes him 9 months away.

He's at the generational cusp where if his parents were greatest gen (served or were of age to serve in ww2) I'd say he's a boomer, but if his parents were silent gen (served or were of the age to serve in Korea) he's gen x.

The idea that he should resign because his boss told him what to do is also absurd. We all do things we don’t agree with when our bosses tell us to do them. None of us know what kind of meddling Phil has been involved with, but it’s a safe bet that he’s had his fingers in a lot of the poor decisions that were made seeing as he is the common thread that runs through all of those poor decisions. Saying “If RG didn’t like it, he should retire” is just silly. Nobody does that. Realistically, his options were very limited. Seeing as he is going to be here for the next coaching hire regardless, the entire debate is kind of pointless. Best case scenario is that Phil is excepted from the process and RG gains some sense of focus and motivation that I think we all would agree that he did have at one point.
Yep.

Only caveat might be at C-Level when it's a vision you don't share and you know is doomed to fail. In that case you might get out because it's a career killer to stay (or if you no longer need the money & can say FU).

Even then, I know some C-Level people very well who have stayed in horrible situations much longer than they should have because they care about the organization and its people. Leaving would mean there would be no one to mitigate the asinine directives from ownership.

Yep.

Only caveat might be at C-Level when it's a vision you don't share and you know is doomed to fail. In that case you might get out because it's a career killer to stay (or if you no longer need the money & can say FU).

Even then, I know some C-Level people very well who have stayed in horrible situations much longer than they should have because they care about the organization and its people. Leaving would mean there would be no one to mitigate the asinine directives from ownership.
Or, you know you’re on the 16th hole of your career and have the opportunity to just ride it out at $1m+/year, an opportunity you don’t have anywhere else, if you just go along with what your boss tells you to do.

What would you guys think of firing LC and bringing back Jashon Sykes in the Assoc AD for Football role + the diversity, alum & NFL relations, player development that LC has or had?

Currently at Nevada in that role.

He was/is a great Buff. I’d like to see us go for people new to Colorado football. We need new energy.

I think I see the disconnect. Nobody is saying RG isn’t responsible. More that he was put in a position where he had little choice but to make a poor decision. Yeah, it was his decision. Phil didn’t tell him to hire Dorrell. Phil *probably* told RG that he expected a coach that had certain characteristics. None of which had much to do with being an actual good football coach.
Again, at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter because RG ain’t going anywhere while Phil is still here. You want to get rid of RG? Get rid of Phil first.

I disagree with this completely.

Its not as if the only options were Mel Tucker, Steve Sarkisian, and Karl Dorrell.

Were the options limited in February? Sure. The coaches who were available in December/January were long gone. But there were still many other good coaches out there. And even if options were limited - that does not excuse the completely atrocious contract which was given. When the options became limited - the contract negotiations should have become limited, as well. You don't take the Pinto but pay for a Porsche.

Or, you know you’re on the 16th hole of your career and have the opportunity to just ride it out at $1m+/year, an opportunity you don’t have anywhere else, if you just go along with what your boss tells you to do.
Yes- I said this elsewhere in this thread. At the time of the KD hire, Rick was 60. He's living in Boulder, where he and his family are happy, and near his granddaughter. He's got 4 years until he can get a full PERA payout.

He's not quitting unless he gets fired, even if he was told to do something stupid that might torpedo his career.

JFC.

Okay boomer.
I've never understood the year range for baby boomers. It makes more sense to define boomers as those who were offspring from WWII vets returning home and making up for lost time. You could have grandchildren of those WWII vets that fit into that date range. Why should they be 'boomers'? Anyway, back to my Pinot Noir. Carry on.

This is where I’m at. Explains the complete lack of initiative as the college football landscape continues to shift.

I think I see the disconnect. Nobody is saying RG isn’t responsible. More that he was put in a position where he had little choice but to make a poor decision. Yeah, it was his decision. Phil didn’t tell him to hire Dorrell. Phil *probably* told RG that he expected a coach that had certain characteristics. None of which had much to do with being an actual good football coach.
Again, at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter because RG ain’t going anywhere while Phil is still here. You want to get rid of RG? Get rid of Phil first.
If Todd Saliman dumps Rick and Karl at the same time.....

Last edited:
Celebrity Big Brother Bbceleb GIF by Big Brother

Another blowout loss….. in Boulder. Just my opinion, but where is the AD today? we’re losing national respect and looking like a joke off a program.

Should we expect a statement or for him to fire the coaching staff tomorrow? Or is it just going to be silence.

do they not see that CU is losing fans, people are leaving or not going to games, the national media is losing respect for our school/team. Can someone from the administration please do something??

Another blowout loss….. in Boulder. Just my opinion, but where is the AD today? we’re losing national respect and looking like a joke off a program.

Should we expect a statement or for him to fire the coaching staff tomorrow? Or is it just going to be silence.

do they not see that CU is losing fans, people are leaving or not going to games, the national media is losing respect for our school/team. Can someone from the administration please do something??
The AD was was standing on the field with the President of the Pac12. Take that for what it’s worth…

The AD was was standing on the field with the President of the Pac12. Take that for what it’s worth…
Guy just needed someone to hang out with who was more miserable than himself.
PAC 12 president to RG probably: "Heh, and I thought things were going bad for me..."

Legit question, do you think RG and/or the rest of the admin know of AllBuffs' existence and how bad they're getting dragged around here?

Guy just needed someone to hang out with who was more miserable than himself.
PAC 12 president to RG probably: "Heh, and I thought things were going bad for me..."

Legit question, do you think RG and/or the rest of the admin know of AllBuffs' existence and how bad they're getting dragged around here?
Yes and…hubris is one hell of a drug

FWIW, from my seats this past Saturday, a fan yelled to Rick George, "HEY RICK, FIRE DORRELL!" To which RG responded with a disgusted look on his face and the "Agggghhhh, GTFOH" hand gesture.

In addition, most of the recruits at the game left (their seats anyway) around halftime and never came back.

Neither situation bodes well for the future. Shocker, I know.

Back