What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fix the big mistake and re-hire Dan Hawkins

Buffs4B1G

First time poster, longtime lurker. You guys crack me up with all your opinions and half baked ideas on who should be the CU coach. It's obvious and there's a chance to right one of the biggest wrongs in CU football history.

Since the scandal, Dan Hawkins is the only coach who showed he can recruit a Top 25 class to CU.

Before he came here, he was with Bobby Bowden for winning percentage.

After he left, he has built UC Davis from nothing to finishing with ranked teams 3/5 seasons and making the playoffs twice despite playing in the toughest conference in FCS.

He's the best coach we ever had here other than McCartney and we never gave him a chance.

The season he was fired for was a 5-7 record. Mostly run out of town because Buffs 4 Life and associated boosters turned so hard against him and AD Bohn that there was no program support either from from football alums or from boosters connected to the McCartney and Barnett. All because they couldn't get over Barnett getting fired for destroying the program with his scandals, public mismanagement of the issues, and then losing the team with embarrassing losses.

We had a great situation with Dan Hawkins and we messed it up. If we're serious about CU football being great again, we should do whatever it took to get him to come back.

My one reservation would be that Hawkins is in his early 60s now so I'm not sure how long he would stay if we could even get him agree to come back. But the best thing about that is there's a built-in succession plan with one of the best QBs in CU history, Cody Hawkins, being his Offensive Coordinator. Cody would be able to step in and run CU football for decades once Dan was ready to retire.

Hopefully CU isn't too stupid and stubborn to do the right thing here.

**** you! This is the damn problem. Too many of you so called fans treat people like crud and this is why good people like Dan Hawkins are run out of here and we end up with NFL position coaches destroying the program.
Thanks for your insights Dan. Now go back to wherever you've been since we justifiably fired your 💩 Azz

"Was I Too Unfair to Dan Hawkins?"

-Buffnik
Oh, man. I do think a well-run organization would have been able to weather the DH era and not have its program completely fall apart from it. So I do think we should look in the mirror on that one.

But DH was not cut out for the big stage. I think Davis is the right level for him. At a P5 or that disaster in the CFL when dealing with pro level athletes, he gets exposed as a lightweight with an overblown ego.

Thanks for your insights Dan. Now go back to wherever you've been since we justifiably fired your 💩 Azz
I wish I was Dan Hawkins. Just a long time fan who is sick of the way this program does things.

Fine if people can't get over all the misplaced blame they put on Dan Hawkins. That's what I expected from our idiot fans. He probably wouldn't accept the job anyway after the way he was done wrong.

But at least get back to the good things that were happening back then. We could hire Helfrich and could maybe get Cody as the OC under him to start winning again and have a program we could be proud of. But you've got to call Dan first to see if he'd be willing to return.

might be thread- or poll-worthy topic, but if you had to distill CU's demise down to a single person, who is it?

There is a reason that Dan Hawkins never got a sniff at another BCS level head coaching job and mean CU fans isn't it.

I was one of those who supported Hawkins well into his time here and respect him as an individual and for what he has done at UC-Davis but for a return engagement, NO THANKS!

Always Sunny Troll GIF

First time poster, longtime lurker. You guys crack me up with all your opinions and half baked ideas on who should be the CU coach. It's obvious and there's a chance to right one of the biggest wrongs in CU football history.

Since the scandal, Dan Hawkins is the only coach who showed he can recruit a Top 25 class to CU.

After he left, he has built UC Davis from nothing to finishing with ranked teams 3/5 seasons and making the playoffs twice despite playing in the toughest conference in FCS.

He's the best coach we ever had here other than McCartney and we never gave him a chance.

The season he was fired for was a 5-7 record. Mostly run out of town because Buffs 4 Life and associated boosters turned so hard against him and AD Bohn that there was no program support either from from football alums or from boosters connected to the McCartney and Barnett. All because they couldn't get over Barnett getting fired for destroying the program with his scandals, public mismanagement of the issues, and then losing the team with embarrassing losses.

We had a great situation with Dan Hawkins and we messed it up. If we're serious about CU football being great again, we should do whatever it took to get him to come back.

My one reservation would be that Hawkins is in his early 60s now so I'm not sure how long he would stay if we could even get him agree to come back. But the best thing about that is there's a built-in succession plan with one of the best QBs in CU history, Cody Hawkins, being his Offensive Coordinator. Cody would be able to step in and run CU football for decades once Dan was ready to retire.

Cody, we appreciated your effort as a QB. It wasn't your fault you were 5'5", but we are never bringing you or your dad back.

It ain't intramurals brother!

Brilliant trolling. Well done.

If that was Cody, why wasn't the post swatted down at the line of scrimmage?
Are you guys serious right now? Since CU stopped running the option Cody is the best QB we've had other than Kordell. You're messing with me on this hater stuff. Funny. But let's get serious. We need to make this program great again.

Are you guys serious right now? Since CU stopped running the option Cody is the best QB we've had other than Kordell. You're messing with me on this hater stuff. Funny. But let's get serious. We need to make this program great again.
Joel Klatt?

I liked Dan, I liked Mike - Bohner seems to be the one who really got hosed; look at his track record since... look at D2 Danny's. Hawkins, while admittedly better than most of what followed (hurts to write that), was in over his head. Couldn't keep his good assistants and wouldn't fire his bad ones, it was only going to get worse.

Back