What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future at QB?

Armin’sFrozenPeas

So. This is not part of the bench Montez discussion.

Serious question (which from me is weird as I am usually just a smarta$$) Where are we at QB next year?

I mean I know the names. But other than some forum comments I really don’t know much about what we have. I know some of you know more than me...

Considering who we have. Considering recruiting. Considering what Mel wants to do...
If you had to lay odds who would be our starting QB next season?

That is what we were kinda discussing. But I have no idea if we are taking anybody out to dinner, metaphorically speaking.
If it’s a Grad Transfer, it might not be known until next Summer once Spring QB battles have shaken out. I think Brenden Lewis is an early enrollee, so I’m hoping he’s a dude from day one and shows enough to where they are willing to go into year two with “their guy”, similarly to what Herm and ASU are doing with Daniels.

Does anyone have any faith in Lytle. I thought he was a pretty good get coming out of HS. I wonder what is going on there?

Does anyone have any faith in Lytle. I thought he was a pretty good get coming out of HS. I wonder what is going on there?
He’s going to have the spring to show that he’s the man. Otherwise, he may hit the road...

One would think if Lytle was all that, Montez would have been benched at some point by now to see what he can do.

It’s hard when we haven’t seen him play.

I thought as a HS qb that he was poised, patient and threw a very catchable ball.

If he’s still that at the college level, maybe he’d deliver calm consistency from that position. Be nice to see that behind what I think will be a good 2020 running game.

They've kept Steven in because he gives the best chance to make a bowl game, if they aren't bowling, we will find out about lytle.
So if they suffer 5 straight losses from here on, we’ll see Lytle? That puts them through game 10 so that’d give Lytle/Stenstrom the last two games. I guess I could see that, but it’s a lot more likely, IMO, that they’ll still be in bowl contention when they go to Utah.

I still have hopes for Lytle, but we just don't know what he can do. He did surpass Noyer this year, but hasn't had much of a chance to this point. He looked decent against... Utah? where he threw the ball with authority, but then promptly threw the ball with authority to the other team. Stenstrom we also don't know much about.

That said, betting man would probably put money on grad transfer or Lewis. Lewis is the chosen guy this staff wanted, so one would assume they're high on him. And grad transfer will only come in if the staff isn't feeling good about Lytle/Stenstrom, so if one shows up expect them to battle Lewis for the job.

Grad transfer market will be big again after spring ball. Best two option now are Sears from SC pro style. He doesnt do much for me. But he is a four star. There is a dual threat kid from Baylor. Powell. But not as good as Lewis

I think they stay with Lewis. they are very high on Rubley and Marichol the next two years of recruiting cycles. I think the only interest would be a dual threat junior or senior grad transfer with a lot of experience.

how fun would it be if King left Houston for CU With all of our WR weapons, the cat would take home the Heisman

I could see both McCaffrey brothers in the transfer portal. Would we look at one of them?

I could see both McCaffrey brothers in the transfer portal. Would we look at one of them?

I don’t see why Dylan McCafrey would consider a transfer from Michigan. He’s the #2 QB behind a senior, and would be favorite to start next year.

Luke McCaffrey at Nebraska might be more likely to transfer since he’s behind Martinez who is still young, Nebraska is a cruddy school and place, and Frost is struggling. But don’t think a QB that would sit out next year is what CU needs.

Grad transfer with some proven snaps under his belt is most likely in my opinion.

Grad transfer market will be big again after spring ball. Best two option now are Sears from SC pro style. He doesnt do much for me. But he is a four star. There is a dual threat kid from Baylor. Powell. But not as good as Lewis

I think they stay with Lewis. they are very high on Rubley and Marichol the next two years of recruiting cycles. I think the only interest would be a dual threat junior or senior grad transfer with a lot of experience.

how fun would it be if King left Houston for CU With all of our WR weapons, the cat would take home the Heisman
Rubley and Macchiol aren't the answer, Chief. Trust me.

Tucker's legacy starts with Lewis. He's HIS guy.

I understand what you are getting at and would agree that QB is the most important position on the field. With that in mind, think about Sefo and Steven. Statistically above average QBs and where did they take the program? I dont think that the QB will determine his legacy but would certainly help. Battles are won/lost in the trenches fellas. I am a believer that Tucker's legacy will be built on his staff's ability (or lack therof) to recruit DL/OL. With that in mind, very excited about Brendon coming to the Buffs.

The QB role after this season leaves a lot up to speculation. If Lytle and Senstrom aren’t ready to go, I can see the transfer portal/grad transfer pool being an option, depending on who enters. If Lewis enrolls for spring practice, and can get up to speed to that of say Martinez at kNU last year and Daniels at ASU this year...it will make for an interesting fall camp in 2020...

I understand what you are getting at and would agree that QB is the most important position on the field. With that in mind, think about Sefo and Steven. Statistically above average QBs and where did they take the program? I dont think that the QB will determine his legacy but would certainly help. Battles are won/lost in the trenches fellas. I am a believer that Tucker's legacy will be built on his staff's ability (or lack therof) to recruit DL/OL. With that in mind, very excited about Brendon coming to the Buffs.
This

Plenty of examples of teams that have good but not great QBs who win because they win in the trenches. A lot of examples as well of teams who win well below the level of their QB because they don't win on the LOS.

At least in his first year, Tucker has been much more inclined to find a grad transfer to plug a hole versus relying on a freshman.

Back