What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's bball opens Pac 12 play at Utah (Sunday,12/29, 2:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go Buffs - beat the Utes!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/27/womens-basketball-buffs-start-conference-play-at-utah.aspx

"
SALT LAKE CITY– The 11-0 Colorado women's basketball team opens Pac-12 play with a stretch of three road games before returning to the CU Events Center. The Buffaloes make the short trip to Utah to open the conference season on Sunday (2 p.m. MT).

Colorado remains one of nine undefeated teams in the nation, following its two wins at the Tulane Classic. Of the nine undefeated teams, four of them reside in the Pac-12. The Buffs' wins in New Orleans were good building blocks before headed into tough conference slate.

"Those games were really good for us," head coach JR Payne explained. "Being down, having to come back and having to execute defensive and offensive game plans on the fly—to make in-game adjustments because our stuff was not working. For our young team to be able to do that, I thought was important for us and we can refer back to those games throughout Pac 12 play. Whether it's execution, being down, fighting back or whatever you want to use. Those games were really good for us."

Colorado's record remains perfect, but the team knows it has room to improve on the court. The young Buffs have had issues holding onto the ball throughout the season and cannot afford the same mistakes in the Pac-12 season.

"Everything is elevated," Payne noted. "We've been talking a lot about the details of execution and the details of doing your job. Those things become even more important as your opponent's get better and better. We've played a good preseason schedule. Our RPI is 47 right now. We've played good teams, but we haven't played Pac-12 teams. We have to be airtight with what we're trying to do offensively and defensively."

The conference schedule makers were not kind to Colorado at the start of the Pac-12 season. CU opens at Utah and then heads to No. 2 Oregon and No. 3 Oregon State. A win for the Buffs in Utah would go a long way to helping build confidence during the treacherous stretch.

"Everyone is so good that you have to take one game at a time and pour all of your effort, focus and attention to detail into your next opponent," Payne commented. "Utah's a really good basketball team. They have a lot of great young players that can contribute in a lot of different ways. They always execute and rebound well. It's going to be a tough matchup."

The Buffs' last win at the Huntsman Center was a 69-65 thriller back on Feb. 1, 2018. Former Buff Kennedy Leonard scored 31 points, helping Colorado comeback from a 16-point deficit. Annika Jank and Quinessa Caylao-Do both started that game with Aubrey Knight and Mya Hollingshed coming off the bench. Since then Colorado has gone 1-4 against the Utes.

Sunday's game, along with the remaining Pac-12 schedule, will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Networks. Krista Blunk and Mary Murphy will have the call. Fans can also listen to the Colorado Radio Network through the Tunein app.
"

Media links:
Game Notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/12/27//12_29_Utah.pdf

Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2019/12/29/colorado-utah .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2358&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=739239605199716020 .

Live stats -

If this was at home, I would say it is a must win game. None the less this would be a huge win for he buffs and could really help their confidence for pac 12 play.

The Buffs started off very strong, believe earning an early 19-6 lead, then the utes went on a scoring streak, and now it's a 6 point Buff lead (34-28) with around 3 minutes left in the 1st half

We might have found something with Sherrod that forces an adjustment to expectations. Still early and I don’t want to lay on too much, but she can ball.

Last edited:
I am so impressed with Jaylyn Sherrod. She improves with every game. She is a smart basketball player.

I am liking balanced scoring, too. If somebody has a bad game, it doesn't mean a loss.

A road win in the Pac to open the conference. Happy camper here!

The team should have proved to themselves that they can make mistakes, overcome them and win.

Nice to see this team get themselves back on track after an ugly third quarter in which they forgot that defense is an important part of the game. I think we are seeing their belief in themselves coming through. Not that todays results changes what I expect the results to be next weekend. The Oregon schools are just that much better. But getting this road win in Utah to open conference play was huge.

Nice to see this team get themselves back on track after an ugly third quarter in which they forgot that defense is an important part of the game. I think we are seeing their belief in themselves coming through. Not that todays results changes what I expect the results to be next weekend. The Oregon schools are just that much better. But getting this road win in Utah to open conference play was huge.
Next week is nothing but opportunity. Figure OSU is close to a 20 pt favorite and UO should be able to name its score. An upset would be so amazing to see. You never know.

Article after today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/29/womens-basketball-sherrod-shines-in-pac-12-opener.aspx

"
SALT LAKE CITY — The streak continued for the Colorado women's basketball team on Sunday. The Buffaloes held on in the fourth quarter, picking up the 80-70 win over Utah to start the Pac-12 season.

The win for the Buffs marks the 12th of the season, matching last year's total for the entire season. It also marks CU's first road win since beating Utah, 69-65, on Feb. 1, 2018.

Four Buffs hit double figures on the day. Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod had her best game as a Buffs. She recorded her first double-double, finishing with 19 points and 10 assists. The 5-foot-7 point guard also fought for seven rebounds. Mya Hollingshed hit key 3-pointers down the stretch, helping her to 17 points. Emma Clarke and Aubrey Knight finished with 14 and 10, respectively.

The Buffs never trailed in the contest and shot 48.3 percent (29-60) for the game. The Buffs opened the game shooting 57.1 percent (8-14) in the first quarter, helping the team establish an early cushion. Utah finished the day shooting 43.9 percent (25-57).

The Buffs were unable to solve Utah's Lola Pendande. She was 9-for-9 at the end of the third quarter, finishing with a game-high 20 points.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado dominated the rebound column on Sunday. The Buffs outboarded the Utes, 40-27. CU led 9-0 in second-chance points at the half and finished with the 13-7 edge.

NOTES: CU's 12-0 start is the first since the 2011-12 season…it is also CU's first 1-0 start to the Pac-12 season since 2011-12...Colorado hit 8's and shot 47.1 percent from deep…The buffs scored 21 points off Utah's turnovers…the Buffs now have nine wins over 10 points or more…CU Scored 19 points in each of the second, third and fourth quarters.

NEXT UP: The Buffs continue on the road for their next two games. Colorado will be at No. 2 Oregon on Friday and No. 3 Oregon State on Sunday.

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

On Colorado's ability to fight
"I just love that that's what our team makeup is. We've always wanted to have those teams that just never quit, never stop and never stop competing. That's not easy to do in this conference when everyone is so good and so well-coached. This game was no different. I'm really proud of how resilient we were."

On answering Utah's third quarter
"I think the New Orleans tournament really helped prepare us for these kinds of games. We were down. We knew Utah's been down in some games and has come back every single time to make it a game or win. We knew they were going to make a run we knew it would be with 3-points because that's really what they do. We just stayed together and we executed down the stretch when we needed to. I thought our young players, managed the clock pretty well at the end of the game."

On Jaylyn Sherrod
"It's interesting. Jaylyn watched so many Pac 12 games last year as a high school kid that she's prepared for this. She's totally fearless. She's excited. She's a type of person that rises to the challenge and she certainly did that tonight."

On matching last year's win total
"The interesting thing is every single night we have something to prove. No one thought that we would be in a position to be successful like we have been so far. I think that chip on our shoulder is large enough to continue to fight and continue to compete throughout Pac-12 play."
"
__________________________________________________________________________________

Nice to match last year's win total in the first 12 games.

I don't think anyone has any illusions about what these girls have waiting for them ahead, but in some ways, they're already playing with house money. They have already matched expectations. Now they get to surprise people.

Such a nice win for the team today. For the first time in years I do not feel like the world is ending when certain players go to the bench. Sherrod is fun to watch and I think she will be a star in the future. Still think the NIT is what is possible and I do not see them winning next weekend but this team looks so much better than previous years and the fact they won on the road is huge for them

This team has a different attitude. They also appear to be a team, not a couple of scorers surrounded by others.

Picked to finish last in the Pac. I don't believe that is where this team will finish.

They are young and they think the can win. Realistically, they should get run out of the gym this weekend, but will they?

I am going to enjoy the new attitude and confidence.

Just peeked at the women's schedule. 9 games in January, 5 of them against top 10 teams. That's insane. I've never heard of a schedule like that before in women's or men's basketball.

its a brutal conference but this is a different team IMO and I don't think they will be as intimidated as they have been in recent past

This team has a different attitude. They also appear to be a team, not a couple of scorers surrounded by others.

Picked to finish last in the Pac. I don't believe that is where this team will finish.

They are young and they think the can win. Realistically, they should get run out of the gym this weekend, but will they?

I am going to enjoy the new attitude and confidence.
The team is fun to watch and if you've gone to any of the games you know that they actually play a bit mean. They really seem to enjoy getting physical with their opponents. I couldn't agree with @buffgal more, this team won't finish last in the PAC.

I actually have to just come out and say, I was so down on this team before the start of the year and I am happy to say I couldn't have been more wrong.

Back