What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #21 WOMEN'S BBALL on the road at ASU (Friday, 2/17/23, 11:00 AM MT; Pac 12 Network) & #18 Arizona (Sunday, Noon MT, Pac 12 Network)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
#21 Women's basketball (20-5 overall; 11-3 in the Pac 12) look to continue their winning ways in the desert as they head off to visit the Arizona schools this coming week, starting with a Friday MORNING (???) game against the (I'm sure) HUNGRY Arizona State Sun Devils (7-16, 0-14) and ending with a noon matchup Sunday vs. the #18 ranked Arizona Wildcats (19-6, 9-5).

Note - As I type this, the Net rankings (dated 2/13/23) have CU at #20, while ASU is #125 and Arizona #27.

Both games are slotted for Pac 12 Network. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview(s) not available as I type this. )

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links to more information on this week's opponents:

ASU:
Roster
- https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://thesundevils.com/documents/2022/11/13/2022-23_WBB_stats_for_website.pdf?path=wbball
Schedule - https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule?path=wbball
Their game(s) preview article - Not available as I type this.

Arizona:
Roster
- https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster?path=wbball
Stats - https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats
Schedule - https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule?path=wbball
Their game(s) preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Vs. ASU:
Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Arizona channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/02/17/colorado-arizona-state.

Live stats -
Live audio - In addition to being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like a free audio stream will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2782&type=Live .

Games notes - Not available as I type this.

Vs. Arizona:
Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National and Arizona channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/02/19/colorado-arizona.

Link to link to live stats -
Live audio - In addition to being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like a free audio stream will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2784&type=Live .

Games notes - Not available as I type this.

Last edited:

JR has earned this with what she has done in coaching this team. To me, people like Geno, Staley, Tara, Bluder, Mulkey are doing what they are expected to do. The other coaches are making dreams come true. I hope but don't expect JR to win this award. I just hope it doesn't go to the same old, same old.

I also hope gets the salary increase she deserves.

Payne Listed as a Candidate for College Coach of the Year​

ATLANTA – Colorado bench boss JR Payne was one of 15 head coaches from across the country listed as potential candidates for the 2023 Werner Ladder Naismith Women's College Coach of the Year Award by the Atlanta Tipoff Club on Wednesday.

Four of the most recent six winners of this award are included in this year's candidates. Geno Auriemma (UConn), Lisa Bluder (Iowa), Dawn Staley (South Carolina), and Tara VanDerveer (Stanford) are all previous winners.

Payne has led the No. 21 Buffs to a 20-5 record this season, including an 11-3 conference mark. The Buffs, who were projected to finish eighth in the Pac-12 preseason polls, have exceeded those expectations and are currently positioned as the No. 3 seed in the Pac-12.

Colorado has spent four weeks in the AP Top 25 this season and reached its highest position this week (21) since Dec. 26, 2016, when the team climbed to No. 20. The Buffs have three top-15 wins this season, defeated then No. 8 Utah, No. 14 Arizona and No. 8 UCLA.

The Werner Ladder Naismith Women's College Coach of the Year award will be narrowed to 10 semifinalists on Wednesday, March 8. The Fan Vote to narrow the field from 10 candidates to four on Monday, March 20. The Fan Vote to help narrow the list down to the final honoree will open Tuesday, March 21, and close Tuesday, March 28. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, March 29 at the Women's Final Four in Dallas.

"The Werner Ladder Naismith College Women's Coach of the Year award has historically been a highly competitive race every season, and this year is no different," said Eric Oberman, executive director of the Atlanta Tipoff Club. "This is a balanced group of former winners, longtime coaches and a few who are just making a strong name for themselves and their programs."

"We're excited to recognize each of these coaches for their outstanding leadership and for coaching their teams to successful seasons thus far," said Stacy Gardella, head of Global Marketing Technology & Operations at WernerCo. "We could not be more proud to honor the coaches on this watch list, and we wish them the best for the rest of their seasons."

2023 Werner Ladder Naismith Women's College Coach of The Year Late Season Watch List

FULL NAMECONFERENCESCHOOL
Geno AuriemmaBIG EASTUConn
Lisa BluderBig TenIowa
Kenny BrooksACCVirginia Tech
Denise DillonBIG EASTVillanova
Lisa FortierWCCGonzaga
Shauna GreenBig TenIllinois
Niele IveyACCNotre Dame
Kara LawsonACCDuke
Kevin McGuffBig TenOhio State
Teri MorenBig TenIndiana
Kim MulkeySECLSU
JR PaynePac-12Colorado
Lynne RobertsPac-12Utah
Dawn StaleySECSouth Carolina
Tara VanDerveerPac-12Stanford

JR has earned this with what she has done in coaching this team. To me, people like Geno, Staley, Tara, Bluder, Mulkey are doing what they are expected to do. The other coaches are making dreams come true. I hope but don't expect JR to win this award. I just hope it doesn't go to the same old, same old.

I also hope gets the salary increase she deserves.

Payne Listed as a Candidate for College Coach of the Year​

ATLANTA – Colorado bench boss JR Payne was one of 15 head coaches from across the country listed as potential candidates for the 2023 Werner Ladder Naismith Women's College Coach of the Year Award by the Atlanta Tipoff Club on Wednesday.

Four of the most recent six winners of this award are included in this year's candidates. Geno Auriemma (UConn), Lisa Bluder (Iowa), Dawn Staley (South Carolina), and Tara VanDerveer (Stanford) are all previous winners.

Payne has led the No. 21 Buffs to a 20-5 record this season, including an 11-3 conference mark. The Buffs, who were projected to finish eighth in the Pac-12 preseason polls, have exceeded those expectations and are currently positioned as the No. 3 seed in the Pac-12.

Colorado has spent four weeks in the AP Top 25 this season and reached its highest position this week (21) since Dec. 26, 2016, when the team climbed to No. 20. The Buffs have three top-15 wins this season, defeated then No. 8 Utah, No. 14 Arizona and No. 8 UCLA.

The Werner Ladder Naismith Women's College Coach of the Year award will be narrowed to 10 semifinalists on Wednesday, March 8. The Fan Vote to narrow the field from 10 candidates to four on Monday, March 20. The Fan Vote to help narrow the list down to the final honoree will open Tuesday, March 21, and close Tuesday, March 28. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, March 29 at the Women's Final Four in Dallas.

"The Werner Ladder Naismith College Women's Coach of the Year award has historically been a highly competitive race every season, and this year is no different," said Eric Oberman, executive director of the Atlanta Tipoff Club. "This is a balanced group of former winners, longtime coaches and a few who are just making a strong name for themselves and their programs."

"We're excited to recognize each of these coaches for their outstanding leadership and for coaching their teams to successful seasons thus far," said Stacy Gardella, head of Global Marketing Technology & Operations at WernerCo. "We could not be more proud to honor the coaches on this watch list, and we wish them the best for the rest of their seasons."

2023 Werner Ladder Naismith Women's College Coach of The Year Late Season Watch List

FULL NAMECONFERENCESCHOOL
Geno AuriemmaBIG EASTUConn
Lisa BluderBig TenIowa
Kenny BrooksACCVirginia Tech
Denise DillonBIG EASTVillanova
Lisa FortierWCCGonzaga
Shauna GreenBig TenIllinois
Niele IveyACCNotre Dame
Kara LawsonACCDuke
Kevin McGuffBig TenOhio State
Teri MorenBig TenIndiana
Kim MulkeySECLSU
JR PaynePac-12Colorado
Lynne RobertsPac-12Utah
Dawn StaleySECSouth Carolina
Tara VanDerveerPac-12Stanford
I am a little different in that I value a coaching result of someone getting a great team to reach its upside. So I'm cool with it if it's Staley. Going undefeated while having that target on your back is an elite coaching job. JR should absolutely be given a ton of consideration, though. Hard to imagine any coach doing better than her in the same situation this season.

Somewhat of a preview for tomorrow's game, although it's mostly a feature on Frida Formann - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/16/womens-basketball-formanns-resurgence-timely-for-buffs.aspx

"
TEMPE, Ariz. – The No. 21 Colorado women's basketball team embarks on a two-game swing through the desert this weekend, heading to Arizona State (Friday, 11 a.m.), and No. 18 Arizona (Sunday, Noon) to wrap up the Buffaloes' road season.

Colorado (20-5, 11-3 Pac-12) has 20 wins in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. The team's mark through 14 conference games is also its best since going 14-0 in the 1994-95 season.

The Buffs are clicking on all cylinders heading into the weekend and are staring down a possible first-round bye as the Pac-12 Tournament approaches.

Colorado has four players averaging double-figure scoring this season, led by senior Quay Miller's 14.2 points per game. Senior Jaylyn Sherrod is the only player in the Pac-12 averaging at least 10.0 points and 5.0 assists per game and newcomer Aaronette Vonleh is putting together a strong case for the Pac-12's Most Improved player, averaging 11.8 points per game.

But one of the driving pieces to CU's success this season has been the resurgence of junior Frida Formann. The Buffs' sharpshooter saw almost instant success as a freshman in the 2020-21 COVID season. She played her way into 19 starts and played in all 23 games in her first season, hitting 62 3-pointers with a 40.8 success rate and an average of 12.4 points per game.

The Bagsværd, Denmark, native, saw her production dip to just 7.5 points per game last season and only shot 27.2% from 3-point range.

"Frida is really unselfish," head coach JR Payne commented after the WSU game. "When teams player her [tight defensively] like that, she's totally willing to be a screener and someone that can pull the defense and things [away from the ball] like that."

Part of that speaks to the leadership role that Formann has openly embraced this season. She credits Sherrod and Miller for stepping up as the vocal leaders who share more of the public spotlight, but that her leadership is subtler and under the radar.

"I take warmups very seriously," Formann used as an example. "That's the space where I know I have a responsibility to ensure we're ready for a game. I think we all contribute different things, but Quay and Jalylyn have been stepping up in terms of vocal leaders. I'm trying to make sure that we are in a good place mentally and spiritually."

Coming off an NCAA Tournament berth last season, the team has continued to its rise this season with success that hasn't been felt in Boulder for some time. CU is on the verge of its best Pac-12 finish the team is growing in its confidence.

"I think this last road trip to the Oregon's was really good for us," Formann noted. "I think it was a very consistent effort. I was proud of how we powered through those games and the way we dominated at Oregon State. That is where I thought that none of these wins have been a coincidence. We have a really good team and we know what we're doing."

The Buffs and Sun Devils are set for an early 11 a.m. MT tip at Desert Financial Arena on Friday. The team will take on the Wildcats in Tucson at Noon MT. Both games will be on the Pac-12 Networks.

Cory Lopez and Hannah Halteman will have the call on the Colorado Radio Network, the Varsity App and CUBuffs.com/Listen. Pregame coverage will begin 30 minutes to tip.
"

I would think the team should be VERY motivated today, irregardless of ASU's record this season. In the Buffzone/ Brian Howell preview (link in below tweet) he notes, among many other things, that the Buffs, outside of the forfeit win earlier this season, have lost 14 straight to the Sun Devils.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Less than an hour until tipoff -

Last edited:
Watching on my phone while working. Close first quarter, Buffs ended up by one (would have been more but a technical foul on Sherrod helped ASU close the gap late). Second quarter has been all Buffs. ASU simply can't keep up with CU's speed. Buffs up 42-31!

Nice win, sucks to be a sun devil!

I wish the women's team could teach the men's team how to make a layup.

Media after today's win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/17/womens-basketball-no-21-buffs-hold-on-in-tempe.aspx

"
TEMPE, Ariz. – It wasn't pretty and it wasn't easy but the No. 21 Colorado women's basketball team picked up its 21st win of the season on Friday afternoon. The Buffaloes led by as many as 15 and held on late for the 70-62 win over Arizona State.

The Buffs (21-5, 12-3 Pac-12) held a 42-31 lead at the half but got outscored 31-28 by the Sun Devils in the second half. Colorado struggled with turnovers throughout the day, coughing the ball up 20 times. ASU took advantage, scoring 18 points directly off the turnovers.

"We felt like we were doing what we needed to do," head coach JR Payne explained after the win. "We had several people in foul trouble so that's tough. They [ASU] are a good, scrappy, defensive-minded team and I thought they did a good job of being disruptive. Some shots that typically fall [for us] didn't. It was sort of a combination of all those things that made for kind of a jumbled game."

Senior Quay Miller led the Buffs with her fifth double-double in the last seven games, closing with 17 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Junior Tameiya Sadler had her best outing in a Colorado uniform, going 6-for-6 from the field and a CU-high of 16 points.

"I thought Tameiya was great," Payne added. "6-for-6 from the floor and not just the scoring but like the aggressive offensive presence that she brought to the table. When we needed a buck, she went and got one. It's not that we had to run something for her she just made a really aggressive effort to produce and we certainly needed every point."

Sadler's performance, which included five rebounds, three assists and two steals, also didn't go unnoticed by her teammates.
"I think we can throw teams off with having some like Tameiya," Miller expressed. "I think she averages like five points but she put up 16 today. That's something she can do. If she's out there, she's going to score and I think that just having those different elements of Kindyll [Wetta] and Tam being able to put up numbers and do big things takes the attention off players like Jaylyn [Sherrod] and Netty [Vonleh]."

Arizona State (7-17, 0-15 Pac-12) was led by Tyi Skinner and her game-high 27 points. All but seven of the Sun Devil's 62 points came from their starting five, with Jaddan Simmons (11) and Treasure Hunt (10) finding their way into double figures.

Key Moment
The Buffs were being outscored 15-8 in the third quarter before Wetta's 3-pointer ended the period. The shot put the Buffs up by seven, giving the team a boost of confidence following a down quarter. CU bounced back and hit 54.5% (6-11) in the final quarter.

Notes
Friday's win snapped a 14-game losing streak to the Sun Devils…It was CU's first win over ASU since Feb. 17, 2013…The win was also Payne's first over ASU, going 0-for-9 in previous matchups…CU has its best record through 26 games since 2012-13 (21-5)…It is also the team's best record through 15 games in the Pac-12 (CU twice went 14-0 in the Big Eight…ASU's 21 first-quarter points were the most allowed by CU this season…CU's 29 bench points were the most since its 33 against Southern Utah…Formann passed 800 career points (801)…Miller now has 600 career rebounds (384 at CU).

Quotes
Head coach JR Payne
On CU's turnovers
"We had 11 at the half. We don't typically turn the ball over like that. That's frustrating and leads to clean looks at the basket for them as well. That's not a great game plan."

On the 11 a.m. tip time – "They played at 11 too. We all tipped off at the same time. We didn't get to practice in this gym. But none of that has anything to do with how we play. We need to make sure that no matter what, no matter where and no matter who – we are locked in and understand how we need to play to win."

On Miller's play – "We probably should have made a more concerted effort to get the ball inside to her. We just didn't end up posting her up that much."

On what needs to improve before Arizona – "I think our pace offensively was pretty sluggish here today and in the half court. That doesn't work very well. We need to make sure that we can play with a better pace and move the ball a little bit faster and we need to be able to guard personnel. I mean, Skinner is really hard to guard because she's so fast and draws a foul on almost every possession. That's tough. But we've got to be able to lock into our personnel scout."
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=16137

Media after today's win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/17/womens-basketball-no-21-buffs-hold-on-in-tempe.aspx

"
TEMPE, Ariz. – It wasn't pretty and it wasn't easy but the No. 21 Colorado women's basketball team picked up its 21st win of the season on Friday afternoon. The Buffaloes led by as many as 15 and held on late for the 70-62 win over Arizona State.

The Buffs (21-5, 12-3 Pac-12) held a 42-31 lead at the half but got outscored 31-28 by the Sun Devils in the second half. Colorado struggled with turnovers throughout the day, coughing the ball up 20 times. ASU took advantage, scoring 18 points directly off the turnovers.

"We felt like we were doing what we needed to do," head coach JR Payne explained after the win. "We had several people in foul trouble so that's tough. They [ASU] are a good, scrappy, defensive-minded team and I thought they did a good job of being disruptive. Some shots that typically fall [for us] didn't. It was sort of a combination of all those things that made for kind of a jumbled game."

Senior Quay Miller led the Buffs with her fifth double-double in the last seven games, closing with 17 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Junior Tameiya Sadler had her best outing in a Colorado uniform, going 6-for-6 from the field and a CU-high of 16 points.

"I thought Tameiya was great," Payne added. "6-for-6 from the floor and not just the scoring but like the aggressive offensive presence that she brought to the table. When we needed a buck, she went and got one. It's not that we had to run something for her she just made a really aggressive effort to produce and we certainly needed every point."

Sadler's performance, which included five rebounds, three assists and two steals, also didn't go unnoticed by her teammates.
"I think we can throw teams off with having some like Tameiya," Miller expressed. "I think she averages like five points but she put up 16 today. That's something she can do. If she's out there, she's going to score and I think that just having those different elements of Kindyll [Wetta] and Tam being able to put up numbers and do big things takes the attention off players like Jaylyn [Sherrod] and Netty [Vonleh]."

Arizona State (7-17, 0-15 Pac-12) was led by Tyi Skinner and her game-high 27 points. All but seven of the Sun Devil's 62 points came from their starting five, with Jaddan Simmons (11) and Treasure Hunt (10) finding their way into double figures.

Key Moment
The Buffs were being outscored 15-8 in the third quarter before Wetta's 3-pointer ended the period. The shot put the Buffs up by seven, giving the team a boost of confidence following a down quarter. CU bounced back and hit 54.5% (6-11) in the final quarter.

Notes
Friday's win snapped a 14-game losing streak to the Sun Devils…It was CU's first win over ASU since Feb. 17, 2013…The win was also Payne's first over ASU, going 0-for-9 in previous matchups…CU has its best record through 26 games since 2012-13 (21-5)…It is also the team's best record through 15 games in the Pac-12 (CU twice went 14-0 in the Big Eight…ASU's 21 first-quarter points were the most allowed by CU this season…CU's 29 bench points were the most since its 33 against Southern Utah…Formann passed 800 career points (801)…Miller now has 600 career rebounds (384 at CU).

Quotes
Head coach JR Payne
On CU's turnovers
"We had 11 at the half. We don't typically turn the ball over like that. That's frustrating and leads to clean looks at the basket for them as well. That's not a great game plan."

On the 11 a.m. tip time – "They played at 11 too. We all tipped off at the same time. We didn't get to practice in this gym. But none of that has anything to do with how we play. We need to make sure that no matter what, no matter where and no matter who – we are locked in and understand how we need to play to win."

On Miller's play – "We probably should have made a more concerted effort to get the ball inside to her. We just didn't end up posting her up that much."

On what needs to improve before Arizona – "I think our pace offensively was pretty sluggish here today and in the half court. That doesn't work very well. We need to make sure that we can play with a better pace and move the ball a little bit faster and we need to be able to guard personnel. I mean, Skinner is really hard to guard because she's so fast and draws a foul on almost every possession. That's tough. But we've got to be able to lock into our personnel scout."
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=16137

I'll take Mark Johnson's "right between the eyes from downtown" any day over that PBP guy's "Yes sirrrrrrrr"

I'm an other one who doesn't like the "yes sirrrrrrr". This is women's basketball.

I also don't like when he says Wetta with the hezzy.

Carol Callan makes any play by play announcer look good but she isn't always available. I also like that Carol is not afraid to criticize the refs and discuss what it was they missed and what the rules are.

Ugly yes, but it goes in the W column.

I would like to see the utes beat AZ and make it a physical game. Getting an extra eight hours of rest is meaningful in this case.

I watched Arizona beat the Utes. Then I watched Stanford hang on to beat USC. USC gave Stanford everything they could handle.

The Buffs are down 10 to the Wildcats midway through the 3rd quarter. Just looking at live stats, looks like they are having big problems getting any offense going, as they only have 25 points, and are shooting 29% overall, and just recently made their 1st 3 of the whole game (they're 1-7 overall from beyond the arc).

This one's effectively over, as the Buffs went scoreless for over 6 minutes late in the 3rd (until making a basket with 9 seconds left), and it's 27-48 AZ heading into the final period.

Just need to brush this one off, and appreciate the Buffs are going to end up 6-3 on the road this season (if I counted right) in Pac 12 play, and those losses are to teams who are ranked #3, 4 and 18 in the current poll. The Buffs also already defeated 2 of those ranked teams in Boulder, with the opportunity to beat the 3rd (Stanford) in Boulder this coming Thursday.

Last edited:
This one's effectively over, as the Buffs went scoreless for over 6 minutes late in the 3rd (until making a basket with 9 seconds left), and it's 27-48 AZ heading into the final period.

Just need to brush this one off, and appreciate the Buffs are going to end up 6-3 on the road this season (if I counted right) in Pac 12 play, and those losses are to teams who are ranked #3, 4 and 18 in the current poll. The Buffs also already defeated 2 of those ranked teams in Boulder, with the opportunity to beat the 3rd (Stanford) in Boulder this coming Thursday.

Tough loss today but I bet this team is going to be ready to upset Stanford on Thursday. Gonna be fun to watch. The future looks really bright for this team and despite todays loss, this season has been a really nice statement that we’re back. A win Thursday would be a great exclamation point to that effect.

As for a chance at the Pac 12 title… If: UCLA beats Stanford tonight, AND Stanford beats Utah next weekend AND our Buffs beat Stanford on Thursday….. we end up in a tie for first in the pac 12!

As for a chance at the Pac 12 title… If: UCLA beats Stanford tonight, AND Stanford beats Utah next weekend AND our Buffs beat Stanford on Thursday….. we end up in a tie for first in the pac 12!

Obviously not a big deal, but did want to note that the Stanford - UCLA game is tomorrow night (looks like a featured game on ESPN2 starting at 7:00 PM MT).

Not jumping on this bandwagon. Too much consistent under performing against good teams. A familiar look for this squad, unfortunately.

Back