What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball hosts Cal (Friday, 2/14, 7:00 PM MT) & #8/7 Stanford (Sunday, noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs look to get back to some winning ways as they face off against the Bay Area schools this weekend.
(FYI- In the latest RPI rankings (as of 2/12), the Buffs are #66, Cal is #136 and Stanford is #10.)

Go Buffs!!!

Looks like this is also a reunion weekend to help celebrate the 1994/95 team. Hope they all have a great time in Boulder!

Preview for the Cal game and (mainly) info on the 1994/95 team-

"
The 1994-95 Colorado women's basketball team will be honored at a weekend reunion this week in Boulder as the Buffs host a pair of games at the CU Events Center: Friday vs. Cal (7 p.m.) and Sunday vs. Stanford (noon). The reunion weekend will include the presentation of the Jane Wahl Legacy Award to Erin Carson at the Cal game; a Saturday tour of the Events Center and a CU practice and an evening reception with the current coaching staff; and a pregame brunch Sunday before the Stanford game. Fans may purchase a special reunion game deal for Sunday's game that includes two reserve tickets for $19.95. Visit CUBuffs.com/promo and use code 1995.

BOULDER — Twenty-five years later, the bond is still strong, the memories still vivid.

Of course the members of the 1994-95 Colorado women's basketball team have moved on. They are spread out literally around the world. They have family, careers, occupations and passions as varied as their backgrounds. They have taken the lessons and education they earned at CU and applied them to the ensuing chapters of their lives.

But the memories are still there. The long hours in the gym, the hard work, the dedication and discipline — and the success. The success of a very special season that to this day still fills the Colorado women's basketball record book, a season whose memory bank still overflows with deposits from a quarter century ago.

— 30-3.

— No. 2 in the nation.

— A Big Eight regular season title.

— A Big Eight tournament title.

— A 25-game win streak.

— A berth in the NCAA Elite Eight.

Those are memories of a lifetime, successes that put down the foundation for the next chapters of their lives. Here, in their words, is a glimpse of those memories that still burn brightly:

The Game: The Buffs look to snap a four-game losing streak in their return home against California on Friday. The Buffs won the first matchup against the Golden Bears, 62-50, Berkeley. A win against Cal on Friday would mark CU's first sweep of California in the series history.

Rematch: Sophomore Emma Clarke scored 14 points and helped fuel a strong third quarter in Colorado's 62-50 come from behind win over California in the team's first meeting. The win snapped a three-game skid.

Colorado trailed by four after the first quarter and worked its way back to a tie at halftime. The Buffs scored 32 points in the second half on the way to the 12-point win.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live stats
(for both games) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Vs. Cal (Friday, 7:00 PM MT):
Game Notes
(for Cal game) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2020/2/12//2_14_Cal.pdf

Live video - Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2020/02/14/california-colorado .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2370&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=756588674439946192 .

Vs. #7/8 Stanford (Sunday, Noon MT):
Live video
- Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 National and Bay Area channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to either of those Pac 12 channels, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2020/02/16/stanford-colorado .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2371&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=756588674439946192 .

I am debating If I am going or not. I am still upset over the Tucker and the loss to Oregon last night by the mens team. I know it is just Cal but I have very little faith in the Wbb team right now and do not know if I want to see a loss in person

Had plans on going but caught some nasty bug and am down for the count. Would go if I could and support a team that needs some fan love.

The Buffs were up by 7 at the end of the 3rd, and are up 50-39 with ~7 minutes left.

Per the announcers, the Buffs are 0-10 from 3. If that stands, I believe they MAY have (???) said it would be the 1st game since 1997 (???) they wouldn't have made a 3. Thankfully, Cal is only 1-10 from 3 themselves, so that stat hasn't hurt that much. (EDIT - I'm now hearing them say it's "only been 91 games since they've had a game without a 3, which would only be 3 years (2017) or so.)

Last edited:
liked the win. It was an ugly game on both sides. Not real impressed with CU at the moment. Except for transition, they had trouble getting and making shots. As I saw former players talk to Ceal, I thought that I would love to see Mindy Henry again. All those foul line jumpers that people clanked all night long, she made. Now they can go to the NIT but just did not look good tonight

Ya agree it was a ugly game. But think about our expectation as fans before the season, I think a lot of us will be happy about the WNIT. Sure, the very soft OOC helps, but I'm glad to take any help, because postseason is very important for this team. So all in all very happy night!

Ya agree it was a ugly game. But think about our expectation as fans before the season, I think a lot of us will be happy about the WNIT. Sure, the very soft OOC helps, but I'm glad to take any help, because postseason is very important for this team. So all in all very happy night!

agree. I guess I was spoiled because I got back to Co Sheetz freshman year so for a good long time the teams were fun to watch. This game was just not fun to watch for me. I do not know if they know how to attack a defense in the half court.

Article and highlights after tonight's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/2/14/womens-basketball-buffs-break-skid-beat-cal.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado put an end to its four-game skid with a 64-57 win over California on Friday. The Buffaloes had four players in double figures, led by junior Mya Hollingshed and her ninth career double-double.

The win marks the 15th of the season for JR Payne and Co. CU now stands at 15-9 on the season and 4-9 in Pac-12 play. Cal drops to 9-15 overall and 1-12 in conference play.

Colorado's defense set the tone early and the offense completed the job in the end. The Buffs led by four at the half, 27-23, and used a 56.5 second-half shooting percentage (13-23) to get out to an 11-point lead in the fourth quarter.

Hollingshed posted 10 points and tied her career-high with 12 rebounds. Redshirt sophomore Aubrey Knight led the team with 12 points off the bench. Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod and sophomore Emma Clarke each finished with 11.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado hit 20-of-24 free throws on the night, matching its season-high in makes (at Wyoming) It as the first time CU shot over 80 percent from the free-throw line since its win at California (Jan. 26).

NOTES: The win gives CU its first sweep over Cal in program history…Colorado did not hit a 3-point shot on the night (0-10), marking the first time in 91 games (Feb 17, 2017) that CU failed to make a 3…CU was 9-for-10 from the free-throw line in the first half…Colorado scored a season-high 19 fast-break points.

NEXT UP: Colorado's celebration of the 1994-94 25-year reunion continues Sunday. The Buffs will host No. 8 Stanford at noon.

Quotes
Head Coach JR Payne
Overall thoughts
"Obviously, we're really happy to come out with the win. I thought we showed a lot of resiliency when we started off flat, which a team never wants to do. I thought we showed some resiliency when things were not necessarily going our way early. I thought we did a great job of staying together and playing together and even when those shots weren't falling the way we would have wanted, I thought we rebounded well, we defended very well at times. Just really happy to come out with a victory over a good team."

On the win setting up postseason play
"It's huge. I told the team we're back in the race. We stumbled last weekend on some games that we felt like we should have been more competitive and come out on top, but we didn't. Now we're in a position where we got to play catch up. This is a great victory. It's a great place to start and we're back in the hunt for the postseason."

On Aubrey Knight
"She missed some layups early. I thought she was playing well and had some really good looks. She's a lefty, they were on the left side of the basket, they were at the rim. She was getting frustrated because she was getting there and not putting them in. I was proud of her for kind of staying mentally dialed in to the game and not being frustrated. She helped spark that better offense once we started transitioning a little bit. She's got a great motor. She can really run the floor. Our point guards do a great job of finding her when she does that and we needed those points. I thought that opened it up gave us a little bit of breathing room."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/california/boxscore/13316
(As I type this, they have the wrong mascot next to the 2 scores at the top (Buffalo next to the 57 instead of the 64), but the rest does look to properly show the stats/ Buff win.)

Highlights (Youtube format; same as in above tweet) -

Press conference -

Pac 12 Post game interview -

I go back to the first game of this program, so I've been through many ups and downs. Of course, the Ceal Barry years define this program.

This program has not been successful in the ways I want it to be successful since Coach Barry retired. I think she would tell you that her last few teams were not up to her standards.

Since then, we've been through the disasters of KMM and Lappe. JR has had to totally rebuild the program. Coaching can't be done in most programs with the kind of discipline Coach Barry had with her teams. Kids today won't stand for it except with the likes of Geno, etc. I don't even know if his players go through what Coach Barry put her players through. It was the norm in her day. It was the reason her teams were so successful from the Erin Carson days to the beginning of the Big 12.

After the first year in the Big 12, CU never finished first or won the Big 12 tournament, so us being great was a long time ago now.

If JR can pull this team together for the rest of the season and get in to the WNIT and win a game or two, it can breed success. We only graduate Q. Q has been struggling the last few games. She had to play the point last night after Sila got hurt. I hope Sila's injury is not serious. The head injury to the Cal player looked a lot more serious, as in perhaps concussion.

I was joking with friends that neither team was playing to win last night. It was played in slow motion as CU again played to the level of the competition.

I do like that it ended up with 4 players in double figures. That is what Coach Barry used to do. Her teams did not rely on only one player to score during the NCAA run. IMO, that doesn't work. And all 4 of the players in double figures is not a senior.

No, it was not a fun game to watch at all. We did make free throws. But between Cal and CU, the two teams were 1 of 24. That is ugly basketball.

What was with the double technical? I listen to the radio broadcast and watch the game. Cory Lopez was going crazy in the 4th quarter about how the officials were way too involved in the game--all of a sudden calling things that had not been called for the entire game. Also, a whistle was blown and everyone except for a Cal player stopped playing. The Cal player shot the ball and made the basket. It counted. That was a crock and was not reviewed.

Hopefully, the 94-95 team can impart some wisdom on this team today when they meet with the team. The members of that team each had a role and each performed her role to the best of her ability. That resulted in the best team to every play for the University of Colorado.

The double technical was odd. Mya and their player seemed to get tangled up. Should have been a no call. Same ref did the thing where Cal called a timeout right before the player shot and made a 3. IMO the three should have been waved off but they counted it plus the time out. The first have seemed good on the officiating front. Second half it seemed everything was called. Killed any flow. To me it just seemed like CU was tentative offensively and if I was the post players I would practice the turn around jump shot at the foul line because it was open all night and most of them clanked them. I really hope they make the NIT, but they need more talent to make the next jump

I was one of the people at the rental car stand at the Shreveport Airport and, yes, I had a job.

This was the only season I attended every game, home and away. I knew this was a special team and I didn't want to miss a single second.

I also had so much faith that I had tickets to the Final Four and I still attended. I was privileged to attend the Kodak All American Banquet. What an honor to meet all of those players.

The double technical was odd. Mya and their player seemed to get tangled up. Should have been a no call. Same ref did the thing where Cal called a timeout right before the player shot and made a 3. IMO the three should have been waved off but they counted it plus the time out. The first have seemed good on the officiating front. Second half it seemed everything was called. Killed any flow.

These were the calls Cory Lopes was talking about on the radio. He said JR was trying to get the officials to look at the shot by the Cal player but they never did. He said the shot was clearly after the whistle blew for the time out. It appeared that way to me from watching online but he was in the front row where the action is.

The last two minutes of the game took about 20 minutes to play because of all the fouls that were not being called in the first half.

I do hope Sila is able to play. The team needs her.

At least Annika Jank got in last night and got a bucket. Still only 3 minutes. I don't understand what is happening there.

It was during the season and going to so many away games with player comp tickets for the games, that I realized how good CU is to their opposing players when it comes to comp tickets. At La Tech, it was crowded but not sold out. The arena had four entrances in to the basketball court. We were seated over one of those, way past the court and up pretty high. Lots of schools player comp tickets are up high and not behind the opponent's bench like at CU.

Learned to appreciate those seats a lot. Thankfully, the seats I had at Allen Fieldhouse for the intentionally missed free throw were right behind the bench. I will never forget the look in Palmer's eyes when she looked over to Coach Barry. Saw Coach Barry nod her head slightly and knew what they were going to try to do it.

Sheetz played for the Xplosion. I had season tickets. Coach Barry's tickets were in my row. A similar situation came up in a game and all of the CU fans in attendance looked at Coach Barry and were yelling "the Palmer missed free throw". I don't remember if they pulled it off as I never got in to the Xplosion like I have as a CU fan since the day I set foot on campus as a grad student.

I always enjoy reading about the love WBB fans have for the program and all the great memories. It must have been so special to have been there to be part of the launch, build and success under Ceal. The social significance of it all for women's opportunities in athletics -- even if that was the backdrop and the focus became simple enjoyment of the game & the players. Cool stuff. The kind of stuff that's why we're all sports fans. (y)

I think most people here Ceal built her program with no money and nothing in the way of facilities besides playing in Coors. They often practiced at the rec center or Balch.

There were no charters then. By 25 years ago, they at least flew to the games. I've chatted with players from the Walseth era and they traveled in vans and stayed in cheap motels.

Watching a program grow from game 1 in 1975 to today has been quite the trip. The team being celebrated this weekend was the pinnacle--so far. It was the best team ever. There have been some great photos on FB, Instagram and Twitter of today's activities. Can't wait to see photos from tomorrow.

My favorite photo is this year's team and the 94-95 team holding hands in a circle after practice today. Priceless.

I had plans to be there this weekend, but between my dad dying and influenza, it was not to be.

CU used to have bus trips to the Big 8 tournament in Salina, Kansas. After CU won it's first Big 8 championship (Tracy Tripp/Bridget Turner team), they threw Ceal in the pool at the Holiday Inn after the game. A bunch of boosters got out of the pool area in a hurry when Ceal said "let's throw the boosters in the pool next"

I did not end up in the pool.

Lifelong friends were made on the bus trips. It was a sad day when CU stopped the trips, but the faithful fans would drive to Salina and hope we wouldn't be driving back to Boulder the next day.

It's a 1 quarter game for the win, as the Buffs have a STRONG 3rd quarter to pull within 1 (50-51).

Pull that big upset Buffs!

Even after 2 rough possessions and 2 straight by the card, it's Buffs up 64-63 as they call a timeout with the ball and 57 seconds left.

C'mon Buffs!

Back