What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball hosts Texas Southern (Tuesday,12/3, 7:00 PM) & visits Xavier (Friday, 5:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
No cubuffs.com preview(s) yet, but thought I'd start this thread today as the 1st game of the week, and the one that is at home in Boulder, is tomorrow.

Go Buffs!

Media links -

Home game vs. Texas Southern (Tuesday, 7:00 PM MT):

Game Notes -

Live video - Match will be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2353&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=730203293809706117

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Visiting Xavier (Cincinnati, Friday, 5:00 PM MT):

Game Notes -
None as I type this.

Live video - Match will be viewable via a live (hopefully free) stream available at https://goxavier.com/watch/?Live=1415&type=Live.

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2354&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=730203293809706117 .

Live stats -

A preview for the Texas Southern game is now available-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/2/womens-basketball-buffs-back-vs-texas-southern.aspx

"
BOULDER. – The Colorado women's basketball team begins the week in a spot they haven't been in for almost three years. The Buffaloes picked up a vote in this week's Associated Press Top-25 poll, marking the first time they've been in the conversation since Jan. 9, 2017.

"The vote is cool," head coach JR Payne admitted. "It's awesome, but that doesn't mean anything. We are just trying to become a better basketball team. There are so many areas, with our youth, that we can improve. I feel like we're just trying to focus on us and focus on our opponent."

The young Buffs are unscathed to start the season, starting 6-0 for the second consecutive year. Colorado has been stellar in November, going 25-1 since Payne took over in 2016. The team's record dips as December grows, going 11-6 in Payne's first three seasons.

"We have a great group of young women that want to push each other to get better," Payne added. "I think that's unique. They are actually pushing each other. I think when you have that sort of consistency in your effort and your mindset you become a better team. We just need to continue to take one day at a time. If we are not getting better someone else is."

The Buffs took a short break over the Thanksgiving holiday and resumed practice on Friday.

"The three games in five days was tiring for us" Payne explained. "We had a couple of days off. A couple of people got to go home but most stayed here and came spent Thanksgiving with us. We've had a couple of really good practices this week. We were able to reset our focus. Our effort has been good. Our bodies are feeling good. It's been a good week for us."

Texas Southern (2-3) will make its second visit to Boulder. The Tigers and Buffs last played in 2007, resulting in a 64-29 win for CU. It will be Texas Southern's sixth consecutive game on the road to start the season. The Tigers have visited Oregon, Iowa State and played Utah in Hawaii last week. Texas Southern ranks 23rd in the NCAA in steals per game (11.6). That number could be troubling to the Buffs who have turned the ball over an average of 17.8 times per game this season.

"The problem they [Texas Southern] pose is forcing turnovers," Payne noted. "We have turned the ball over a fair amount recently. That is something we're talking about. We need to be solid with the ball and make good, simple decisions and try not to force anything. We need to take care of the basketball because one, we play better basketball when we do. Two, they thrive on forcing turnovers. It's really important that we do a better job there."

Tuesday's game is set for a 7 p.m. MT tip. The game will be streamed on CUBuffs.com.
"

Seems like this is the last tune up game before the Buffs travel to Xavier, Denver at home, and that New Orleans tourney. After that, it gets real with the Pac-12 opener at Utah.

Buffs up 29-14 ~1/2 way through the 2nd quarter.

Looks like there was a somewhat different starting lineup tonight.

Article after tonight's win (with a few highlights) .

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/3/womens-basketball-buffs-streak-hits-seven.aspx

"
BOULDER — Sophomore Emma Clarke scored a career-high 17 points and junior Mya Hollingshed finished with a double-double, helping Colorado to 74-50 win over Texas Southern on Tuesday.

Four Buffaloes to finished in double figures on the night. Hollingshed posted 14 points and tied a career-high with 12 rebounds. Redshirt sophomore Aubrey Knight and freshman Charlotte Whittaker snuck into double figures with 11 and 10 respectively.

Colorado (7-0) totaled a season-high 51 rebounds, using its height to its advantage against the smaller Tigers. CU's performance on the glass was the first time the Buffs had 50 ore more rebounds since playing Prairie View A&M last season (58).

The Buffs converted just 27 shots on the night, going 39.7 percent (27-68) from the field. CU's defense held Texas Southern to 10 points in each of the first two quarters and limited TSU to 18-of-58 from the floor on the night.

Colorado did a good job navigating Texas Southern's relentless ball-pressure. The Tigers entered the night No. 23 in the nation with 11.5 steals per game. Both teams finished with 18 turnovers, breaking CU's streak of 20-plus turnovers. The Buffs capitalized on their opportunities, totaling 18 points off the Tigers' mishaps.

Richelle Velez led Texas Southern (2-4) with 15 points in the loss.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado snagged 20 offensive boards on the night. It was the second consecutive game CU had 20 or more offensive rebounds. The work on the offensive glass led to a season-high 17 second-chance points.

NOTES: Sherrod got her first start of the season…Knight's 11 points marked a career-high…Hollinghshed's double-double was the sixth of her career…Colorado has scored 30 ore more points in the paint five games this season (34 tonight)…CU's 28-point lead (51-23) was the largest lead the Buffs have held all season…Coach Payne improves to 51-50 at CU.

QUOTES

Head Coach JR Payne

Overall Thoughts
"We knew that this game would be a game of runs and sporadic play. I thought we did some good things and kind of kept our composure for the most part against an athletic team. That was something that we couldn't really simulate as well as we wanted to in practice this week. I thought we did a good job of making some adjustments on the floor. Our rebounding effort was tremendous. To outrebound them by 17—we continue to rebound the basketball. We had a lot of really good sort of smart individual efforts. Certainly, from these two [Mya Hollingshed and Emma Clarke] and several other people. I thought it was a good game tonight."

On Defensive Effort
"We would love to be able to pressure the ball a lot. I think we're significantly longer than we've been in the past. We're able to utilize our length to pressure the ball. It's hard to pressure a team sometimes like this that is so good off the bounce and can stretch you with a couple of shooters. We felt like if we could do it, it would be good for us. But we weren't sure how that would go. I loved our ball pressure. Emma [Clarke] being able to pick up the full court was great. We were able to slow them in transition. I thought our team defense was pretty good when someone wanted to penetrate. I thought our team was good closing gaps and that was important for us."

On 7-0 Start
"We're really happy with who we are. I know that our basketball can be better on both ends of the floor as always. I always like to celebrate things in the stat sheet and then I always say there are things we can do better, which we all know, but I love who we are. We're balanced. We give great effort. Our discipline, I want to be better, but I'm always striving to be the very best. We are striving to be the very best that we can be in. But I love our team. I tweeted something out yesterday, just a picture of them and just said 'I love these people.' It's just a great group of young women right now."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/texas-southern/boxscore/13215

Highlights -

Press conference -

One person voted for Colorado. Probably based solely on their undefeated record without bothering to check the quality(or lack thereof) of the opponents. A lazy voter.

That's exactly what happened. Same voter, covers the Baylor women's team out of Waco, didn't vote for Oregon at #1 when they defeated Team USA. He's admitted he doesn't have a formal process for the different AP votes he participates in. He most likely just threw a dart at the undefeated teams. It was nice that Colorado received the vote. This team isn't anywhere near the caliber of being top-25, yet though.

CU relied way too much on their length in this game. Texas Southern was noticeably smaller, but more athletic at the guard positions. CU was longer and more athletic amongst the bigs. It was troubling just how much more athletic Texas Southern was. They gave Finau fits at times and even got Sherrod into a rookie lapse or two. Texas Southern just didn't have many skilled basketball players. The guards were tenacious putting pressure on the ball, but they really struggle offensively. Mostly, Texas Southern just can't shoot or score effectively. It was troubling how much they affected the CU offense at times. No motion. Hesistancy. Players having trouble making decisions. The difference between Texas Southern and the Pac-12 is that the opponent players will be just as athletic, have length to boot, and will be incredibly skilled.

This game was a great expample of just how much this team has improved since last year. Our backcourt last year would have been exposed defensively by the Texas Southern players, unable to handle their quickness and intensity. It was very refreshing to see Sherrod handle the challenge with aplomb. She is really stepping up as a leader. At one point on an inbound play her teammates had kind of checked out mentally and just kind of assumed she'd be taking the ball out. She became animated and directed traffic, trying to get her teammates to keep their heads in the game and focused. This freshman PG is a straight up leader. Jaylyn had 5 assists in just 22 minutes of playing time, and only 3 turnovers against absolutely relentless and physical defenders. The way Sherrod penetrates only to make breathtaking passes caught some of her teammates off guard around the basket. They are going to have to learn she's playing on a different level than they've seen, and they need to be ready when she's driving because she is very creative. Very very impressed. It was ugly at times, but exciting. Aubrey Knight is a rebounding machine. Charlotte Whittaker had a board tonight that revealed she's very raw and relies too much on her height. A long rebound came right to her, she never left her feet to elevate or even go up on her toes. She just thought she could get it above everyone else. A much smaller TSU player elevated and took it off her outstretched hand. Charlotte is going to have to work on her rebounding technique, and is likely to struggle on the glass in the Pac-12 portion of the schedule. Boards are mostly a hustle stat anyway, and Whittaker could be impactful on the glass if she learns to attack the rebound. Raanee Smith doesn't play a lot, but it is obvious she is a diamond in the rough. Just very impactful in little and nuanced ways that even starters are not. I would really like to see JR get Raanee some more minutes. JR is going to realize she is going to rely on Raanee defensively come the conference schedule. Raanee is one of those players that can help you so many ways that have nothing to do with scoring.

It is nice to see Cynthia Cooper-**** get another head coaching opportunity. She is women's basketball royalty. I don't think it is any coincidence that three Pac-12 teams scheduled games in non-conference with Texas Southern (Oregon, Utah, and Colorado). Additionally, Colorado will be participating in the Tulane Classic with Texas Southern, although not playing them again. This is a beautiful storyline in terms of the humanity of basketball coaches. She was a rival Pac-12 coach, and coaches in the Pac-12 inherently understand how difficult that task actually is. We never saw Linda Lappe get another chance, other than a single season as an assistant at San Francisco. HCooper-**** had coached at Texas Southern for one season previously. That would be like JR returning to Santa Clara. opefully, if things don't work out here in Colorado, JR Payne and Toriano are able to continue coaching in a smaller conference like the WCC where they had success. One thing that women's basketball has to change is the notion that coaches aren't hirable after they've left an elite program where they didn't have the expected success. If you aren't rooting for Cynthia Cooper-**** to be successful at Texas Southern and earn for herself another opportunity at Pac-12 basketball, then you don't love women's basketball.

Last edited:
did not see the game last night, but CU has struggled this year with pressure and quick guards. Sherrod is going to have freshman moments and you have to live with those but the other guards need to take better care of the ball and handle pressure better.

Sherrod is already better than our other point guards, imo. Most of the time, she doesn't play like a freshman. Yes, she will have freshman moments, but I will take them for the promise she shows.

Sherrod is already better than our other point guards, imo. Most of the time, she doesn't play like a freshman. Yes, she will have freshman moments, but I will take them for the promise she shows.

agree. I think all the freshman are a bit raw but I do think she i the best pg on the team.

That's exactly what happened. Same voter, covers the Baylor women's team out of Waco, didn't vote for Oregon at #1 when they defeated Team USA. He's admitted he doesn't have a formal process for the different AP votes he participates in. He most likely just threw a dart at the undefeated teams. It was nice that Colorado received the vote. This team isn't anywhere near the caliber of being top-25, yet though.

CU relied way too much on their length in this game. Texas Southern was noticeably smaller, but more athletic at the guard positions. CU was longer and more athletic amongst the bigs. It was troubling just how much more athletic Texas Southern was. They gave Finau fits at times and even got Sherrod into a rookie lapse or two. Texas Southern just didn't have many skilled basketball players. The guards were tenacious putting pressure on the ball, but they really struggle offensively. Mostly, Texas Southern just can't shoot or score effectively. It was troubling how much they affected the CU offense at times. No motion. Hesistancy. Players having trouble making decisions. The difference between Texas Southern and the Pac-12 is that the opponent players will be just as athletic, have length to boot, and will be incredibly skilled.

This game was a great expample of just how much this team has improved since last year. Our backcourt last year would have been exposed defensively by the Texas Southern players, unable to handle their quickness and intensity. It was very refreshing to see Sherrod handle the challenge with aplomb. She is really stepping up as a leader. At one point on an inbound play her teammates had kind of checked out mentally and just kind of assumed she'd be taking the ball out. She became animated and directed traffic, trying to get her teammates to keep their heads in the game and focused. This freshman PG is a straight up leader. Jaylyn had 5 assists in just 22 minutes of playing time, and only 3 turnovers against absolutely relentless and physical defenders. The way Sherrod penetrates only to make breathtaking passes caught some of her teammates off guard around the basket. They are going to have to learn she's playing on a different level than they've seen, and they need to be ready when she's driving because she is very creative. Very very impressed. It was ugly at times, but exciting. Aubrey Knight is a rebounding machine. Charlotte Whittaker had a board tonight that revealed she's very raw and relies too much on her height. A long rebound came right to her, she never left her feet to elevate or even go up on her toes. She just thought she could get it above everyone else. A much smaller TSU player elevated and took it off her outstretched hand. Charlotte is going to have to work on her rebounding technique, and is likely to struggle on the glass in the Pac-12 portion of the schedule. Boards are mostly a hustle stat anyway, and Whittaker could be impactful on the glass if she learns to attack the rebound. Raanee Smith doesn't play a lot, but it is obvious she is a diamond in the rough. Just very impactful in little and nuanced ways that even starters are not. I would really like to see JR get Raanee some more minutes. JR is going to realize she is going to rely on Raanee defensively come the conference schedule. Raanee is one of those players that can help you so many ways that have nothing to do with scoring.

It is nice to see Cynthia Cooper-**** get another head coaching opportunity. She is women's basketball royalty. I don't think it is any coincidence that three Pac-12 teams scheduled games in non-conference with Texas Southern (Oregon, Utah, and Colorado). Additionally, Colorado will be participating in the Tulane Classic with Texas Southern, although not playing them again. This is a beautiful storyline in terms of the humanity of basketball coaches. She was a rival Pac-12 coach, and coaches in the Pac-12 inherently understand how difficult that task actually is. We never saw Linda Lappe get another chance, other than a single season as an assistant at San Francisco. HCooper-**** had coached at Texas Southern for one season previously. That would be like JR returning to Santa Clara. opefully, if things don't work out here in Colorado, JR Payne and Toriano are able to continue coaching in a smaller conference like the WCC where they had success. One thing that women's basketball has to change is the notion that coaches aren't hirable after they've left an elite program where they didn't have the expected success. If you aren't rooting for Cynthia Cooper-**** to be successful at Texas Southern and earn for herself another opportunity at Pac-12 basketball, then you don't love women's basketball.
Gonna have to call you out on this one Buffa:

“This game was a great expample of just how much this team has improved since last year. Our backcourt last year would have been exposed defensively by the Texas Southern players, unable to handle their quickness and intensity. It was very refreshing to see Sherrod handle the challenge with aplomb.”

While I agree we are seeing some positive flashes from our young PGs your statement above seems incredulous. First off the starting back court last year of Robinson and Leonard was one of the best tandems statistically in the history of the program. Leonard is arguably the best passing PG in Cu history finishing her career with the top 2 season totals as well as the all time career mark. In fact Leonard is the only player in CU history to finish a career with 1600 pts, 400 rebounds, 225 steals and 650 assists. To disparage Leonard and Robinson or to compare our current backcourt to these two greats is not fair to either group.
Also, statistically we are starting to see some of the struggles to come: in the last 3 games, facing teams with a combined 8-14 record, Sherrod and Finau are a combined:
12-35 34% Shooting
0-10 on 3 PT attempts
23 assists 25 turnovers

as a comparison Leonard’s non conference freshmen campaign stats were
43% Shooting
38% from 3
62 assists 40 turnovers

Sherrod and Finau May very well become solid or even good PGs but please let’s not put the weight of being Leonard or Robinson on them

Agreed. Although turnovers and poor shooting performance are a concern, particularly when we start to play top tier teams.

Agreed, as they have been for years. Turnovers, poor shot selection, and an inability to create for teammates have unfortunately been the hallmark of recent CU teams. Give, Sherrod and Finau a chance though, both are very good players. They bring a lot more to the table than we're seen here recently, and will make a huge difference re: the struggles we've had not matching up against Pac-12 guards. We've been at or near the bottom of the conference in our backcourt defense, and defending the perimeter for years. There were nights our guards would combine to score twenty, thirty, or forty or more combined points only to give up more. Sherod and Finau each have their own unique style, and if you listen to JR Payne, she loves this team, specifically the balance she finally has with players who can make different contributions in terms of how they run the offense, but more importantly, they can actually play defense, and buy in to the team structure and the scheme. This group of players has some very competitive players that are winners, players that want to win, more than they want to just get theirs. Three years ago, after their first season here Toriano shared that this team needed to bring in new players and winners, before they were going to compete in conference. I think the most understated transformation that JR has made with this team is communicating each player's role, and getting player's to buy in to focusing on having success in that role, setting personal goals aside, in order to focus on team success. If you ever get a chance to go to the Pac-12 conference tournaments, you'll really see things differently, not just watching CU players, but watching the quality of Pac-12 players in games we don't play in. In the conf tourney, we were one and done as our senior backcourt couldn't match up with the talent ASU had, the backcourt had some of the most negative +/- numbers (-12, -15). JR wasn't going to do it in their last game, but the smart coaching move would have been to limit minutes and play Finau and even Peyton Carter more. Would it have made a difference in the outcome? No, absolutely not as ASU was ranked #20/20 at the time. So JR stayed with her normal rotation. Finau wasn't going to win that game for us. However, Finau in that game only had a single turnover and even though inexperienced she played at a higher level (-7) and the team played better when she was on the floor. For the rest of the time JR Payne is at CU, you'll see her being much more deliberate with the rotation, using a combination of guards, with the expectation that they play smart basketball and holding players accountable for poor decisions, bad shot selection, and staying within their defined role. I think we need to give JR Payne a lot of credit, most of us as fans don't realize just how bad the recruiting had been, especially with the bigs, before she had a chance to turn it around. Are we recruiting the types of players we need to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament? No. Not yet, but the progress is there and it is just going to take a single legitimate elite player or two to right this ship. Sherrod and Finau are good players, this program was lucky to get them, considering where we've been at, and both are capable of competing against Pac-12 competition, the problem is they are just two players on the roster. Neither Finau or Sherrod present the problems we've had since Chucky left after the '12-'13 season, we've had entire seasons where once our backcourt players take the floor they could play their hearts out but have no chance vs the elite players they were matched up with.

One of the most exciting things about how incredible the Pac-12 has become is that each year we are going to see a higher and higher caliber of player at CU, as we slowly climb this mountain. CU is going to bring players that will actually be better than some of my favorite players we've ever had in this program. That's a good thing. We're all hoping for some wins come the conf schedule. This program is so close to really turning the corner. We have a chance to get more conf wins this year than we had combined the past two seasons. Getting these next four non-conference games is huge. Xavier already beat Utah. Fingers crossed.

Agreed, as they have been for years. Turnovers, poor shot selection, and an inability to create for teammates have unfortunately been the hallmark of recent CU teams. Give, Sherrod and Finau a chance though, both are very good players. They bring a lot more to the table than we're seen here recently, and will make a huge difference re: the struggles we've had not matching up against Pac-12 guards. We've been at or near the bottom of the conference in our backcourt defense, and defending the perimeter for years. There were nights our guards would combine to score twenty, thirty, or forty or more combined points only to give up more. Sherod and Finau each have their own unique style, and if you listen to JR Payne, she loves this team, specifically the balance she finally has with players who can make different contributions in terms of how they run the offense, but more importantly, they can actually play defense, and buy in to the team structure and the scheme. This group of players has some very competitive players that are winners, players that want to win, more than they want to just get theirs. Three years ago, after their first season here Toriano shared that this team needed to bring in new players and winners, before they were going to compete in conference. I think the most understated transformation that JR has made with this team is communicating each player's role, and getting player's to buy in to focusing on having success in that role, setting personal goals aside, in order to focus on team success. If you ever get a chance to go to the Pac-12 conference tournaments, you'll really see things differently, not just watching CU players, but watching the quality of Pac-12 players in games we don't play in. In the conf tourney, we were one and done as our senior backcourt couldn't match up with the talent ASU had, the backcourt had some of the most negative +/- numbers (-12, -15). JR wasn't going to do it in their last game, but the smart coaching move would have been to limit minutes and play Finau and even Peyton Carter more. Would it have made a difference in the outcome? No, absolutely not as ASU was ranked #20/20 at the time. So JR stayed with her normal rotation. Finau wasn't going to win that game for us. However, Finau in that game only had a single turnover and even though inexperienced she played at a higher level (-7) and the team played better when she was on the floor. For the rest of the time JR Payne is at CU, you'll see her being much more deliberate with the rotation, using a combination of guards, with the expectation that they play smart basketball and holding players accountable for poor decisions, bad shot selection, and staying within their defined role. I think we need to give JR Payne a lot of credit, most of us as fans don't realize just how bad the recruiting had been, especially with the bigs, before she had a chance to turn it around. Are we recruiting the types of players we need to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament? No. Not yet, but the progress is there and it is just going to take a single legitimate elite player or two to right this ship. Sherrod and Finau are good players, this program was lucky to get them, considering where we've been at, and both are capable of competing against Pac-12 competition, the problem is they are just two players on the roster. Neither Finau or Sherrod present the problems we've had since Chucky left after the '12-'13 season, we've had entire seasons where once our backcourt players take the floor they could play their hearts out but have no chance vs the elite players they were matched up with.

One of the most exciting things about how incredible the Pac-12 has become is that each year we are going to see a higher and higher caliber of player at CU, as we slowly climb this mountain. CU is going to bring players that will actually be better than some of my favorite players we've ever had in this program. That's a good thing. We're all hoping for some wins come the conf schedule. This program is so close to really turning the corner. We have a chance to get more conf wins this year than we had combined the past two seasons. Getting these next four non-conference games is huge. Xavier already beat Utah. Fingers crossed.
Come on now, you are sounding a lot like that old poster RWaG except now you’re disparaging players that are no longer here but left a tremendous legacy. Leonard was first team Pac-12 twice and first team all freshman. She was also honorable mention Pac-12 Defense twice. Do you really think those accolades from the coaches in the conference were unearned, charity, a gift? Both her and Lex were strong defenders, quit simply the level of talent surrounding them was not on par with them or the conference they were playing in, no slam on the players, just the reality of the talent. Robinson and particularly Leonard were ELITE players, ask the pac12 coaches. And to pick out one game against ASU (particularly when Leonard has been our for 15 games) as an example is disingenuous. And by the way both of there +\- were still better then the final out come.

“Turnovers, poor shot selection, and an inability to create for teammates have unfortunately been the hallmark of recent CU teams.”
Stop...
Described by JR as an exceptional leader and the hardest working player that she ever coached as well as the all time assist leader.
Are you really saying that the All Time assist leader could not create shots for teammates??

Last edited:
cubuffs preview now available for tomorrow evening's Xavier game. (Interesting their only win so far this season has been over Utah.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/5/womens-basketball-colorado-heads-to-xavier.aspx

"
CINCINNATI – The Colorado women's basketball takes to the air for the first time this season, headed east to Cincinnati for a matchup against Xavier on Friday. Game time is set for 5 p.m. MT.

The Buffaloes are off to a 7-0 for the first time since the 2016-17 season. CU holds a 2-0 record on the road, registering wins over Wyoming and Colorado State away from Boulder. Friday will be CU's first game out of the mountain time zone this season.

"This will be the first true road trip for us," head coach JR Payne noted. "We've played in other people's gym's, but Wyoming was a bus trip, which was pretty quick and CSU, we just drove up to the game. This is going to be fun. We enjoy spending time together so it's going to be kind of fun to get on an airplane and go. I know they [Xavier] beat Utah the first game of the year and so I'm sure they're a really good basketball team and playing on the road is always difficult."

The Buffs have been on a roll this season, totaling six wins by more than a 10-point margin. CU has three wins of 20 or more this season, after not hitting a 20-point margin last season. Colorado is coming off a 24-point win, 74-50, against Texas Southern, marking its largest margin of victory this season.

Colorado's 2-0 record on the road is already better than last season. The road was not kind to the Buffs in 2018-19, finishing with a 1-10 record last season. The young Buffs will need to come together as a group on the road to further the team's development.

"There's a lot of things that go into road trips," junior Mya Hollingshed added. "I think that we have each other, so we're going to be fine. Going into a different gym, different crowd, different everything, you just have to stick together and play together as a group and we'll be fine."

Xavier started the season off with a win over Utah. The Musketeers have lost five straight since beating the Utes. Xavier is allowing 72.0 points per game this season and has been outscored by an average of 10.0 points in its six games.

Friday's game is set for a 7 p.m. MT tip. The game will be streamed online at CUBuffs.com/WatchWBB.
"

cubuffs preview now available for tomorrow evening's Xavier game. (Interesting their only win so far this season has been over Utah.)
So a nice litmus test. If we beat Xavier, then wouldn't we have to feel good about our 2 conference games against Utah?

Come on now, you are sounding a lot like that old poster RWaG except now you’re disparaging players that are no longer here but left a tremendous legacy. Leonard was first team Pac-12 twice and first team all freshman. She was also honorable mention Pac-12 Defense twice. Do you really think those accolades from the coaches in the conference were unearned, charity, a gift? Both her and Lex were strong defenders, quit[e] simply the level of talent surrounding them was not on par with them or the conference they were playing in, no slam on the players, just the reality of the talent.

These young ladies play their absolute guts out representing this program. They move here, away from the comfort and support of friends and family, and they make an incredible commitment to play Division One basketball. I don't think most fans have any concept of the amount of work these athletes put in. They put in so much time and energy into strength, conditioning, rehabilitative, flip that honestly we almost might need to consider at some point granting these athletes a second scholarship so they can go back after their playing careers end and give their educations the same focus and effort they gave to this game. We have some incredible young women and men in our athletic program, just exceptional young people, and there is no telling what they could accomplish in life, if they could pursue their education with the same drive, commitment, focus and effort required to compete at this level of sport, without the distractions of what their sports require.

If you want to advocate that Ken and Lex were the two best players in the history of this program, go for it. I have zero problem with that. I just think that Rick and Ceal might not be as willing as you are to put a statue out in front of the building, memorializing them.

I'm not one to put up with personal attacks, or anyone disparaging players that are here, or are no longer here. It is interesting how you parse words. I've made no disparaging comments about any of our players. In fact I haven't seen an ad hominem attack made by anyone here. I think most fans do a great job of keeping it about the game. Your comment that the talent surrounding our recent backcourt is not a personal attack on those players, as you say "no slam on the players, just the reality of the talent." My opinions should be taking in the same consideration as your opinions. Your opinion, as I understand it, is that the surrounding cast of a couple of players you perceive as truly great exceptional talents, were their downfall. If we are to respect that your evaluation of those players was "just the reality of the talent" please respect the opinions of others who also saw that backcourt as great players, traveled with them into hostile gyms, cheered for them, and enjoyed their development and accomplishments, but perhaps, viewed them with a little more objectivity than you are managing. I have no problem with you perceiving that backcourt as the greatest players to ever play for this program. I think any reasonable fan is going to see that as a stretch. However, to each their own. Fans see different things in different players. I saw a backcourt that really struggled in terms of "their level of talent" in the context of this crazy competitive conference, and I saw that for four years.

You use the term "Great." Great players transcend this game, their opponents aren't necessarily the other team but the history books. Individual players whose talent is so exceptional they single handedly lift a program up to competitive heights. Onyenware at UCLA took a program what was voted in the pre-season poll to finish 6th in conference and carried that program to the Sweet-16 where it should be noted the team that beat them at the NCAA tournament was none other than UCONN. Kelsey Plum arrived at a Washington program that was winning 20 games and getting to the WNIT or even the second round and took college basketball by storm as our game's version of Pistol Pete Maravich. Plum's freshman year she carried that Washington team to the WNIT semifinals and the next three years carried her team to the NCAA tournament, getting as far as the Final-Four, having two Sweet-Sixteen appearances. Unless you are going to suggest that Kelsey Plum's career at Washington was a function of the talent around her. I'll remind you that a captain on that Washington Final-Four team, and a starter playing huge significant minutes was none other than Alexus Atchley, a former walkon here at Colorado, and that wasn't good enough to remain on the roster here. Plum's spectacular talent was incredible and she was winning games at Washington with players that weren't good enough or talented enough to remain on the CU roster. Atchley, played with Ken and Lex their freshman year here at CU. Plum wasn't making excuses about whether the talent was good enough around her. Onyenware wasn't making excuses about whether UCLA had the pieces to complement her talent, yet. Aari McDonald transferred to Arizona, a program that was picked in the preseason poll to finish 10th (behind Colorado) last year, an Arizona program that had finished '17-'18 with only a 2-16 record in the Pac-12 (the same as Ken and Lex). Aari didn't make excuses regarding the lack of talent around her. McDonald became one of the most dynamic players in the entire country, and carried Arizona to 7 conference wins in the Pac-12 (Ken and Lex never won more than 5). Arizona beat ASU (a tournament team), Colorado (Aari had 32 points and with her superior athleticism shut down Ken's scoring she only had 11), California (tournament team), USC, Washington, Utah (a tournament team before injuries led them to announce they would decline postseason invites), Colorado again (an injured Ken only had 5 points 3 assists, Aari had 11 points and 9 assists). In Vegas as the Pac-12 tourney Aari was just absolutely electric and willed her team to upset USC, only to earn a game facing Oregon. Aari then went off scoring 34points against Ionescu and Cazorla (both WNBA level talents). Aari and Arizona didn't make excuses that they had the misfortune to run into Oregon in the bracket, they just went out and upset the WNIT with wins over Idaho State, Pacific, Idaho, Wyoming, TCU, and Northwestern. WNIT teams are no joke. Around here in we don't give a lot of respect to WNIT teams like Wyoming and Denver, but keep in mind that our senior backcourt that you want to annoint as the best players in program history, they were only good enough to make to make the WNIT a single time in '16-'17, and in that WNIT they were only good enough to win a single game. Ken had a great game, an incredible game against South Dakota State (who maybe should have been in the NCAA tournament), but had a terrible game against Iowa where her 2-14 shooting and 6 turnovers were the story of the game.

When Becky Hamman showed up at CSU, she would go onto be selected an All-American three times. Becky carried CSU to a 33-3 record in in '98-'99 and Sweet-16 run. Becky's number is retired now at CSU. Elite players go on to play in the WNBA, and their talent is unmistakable. Hammon came from the humble WAC (All-time leading scorer passing Keith Van Horn) but the lack of talent around her would have no bearing on her greatness as a basketball player. Becky would goo on to be a six-time WNBA All-star, two-time WNBA first team, two-time WNBA second team, led the WNBA in assists one season, was voted to the WBA top-15 Players of All-time in 2011, and the top-20 WNBA All-time players in 2016. Becky's number is now retired by her WNBA franchise, San Antonio. After her WNBA career ended she only went on to win, I believe, a Euroleague title. No fan can go through the CSU roster of players on Becky Hammon's CSU teams and identify talent that contributed to those historic CSU teams. Simply put, it was Becky. She is an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs now, and fans of women's basketball are cheering for her to be the first female coach in the NBA. Not WNBA, the NBA. Great basketball players transcend the game. Which is why Sue Bird is working for the Denver Nuggets.

The last two players that played anywhere close to that transcendent level for this Colorado program were Brittany Spears and Chucky Jeffrey. Both carried the Buffs teams they played on to some special things, and made the teams more competitive, and both were drafted into the WNBA. I just cannot reconcile your perspective of Ken and Lex, both good players for this program, with the players we have had that were historically great for this program. But that's okay. I think it is reasonable that we both remember good CU players with a different context. If you want to remember Ken and Lex as the two best player in the history of the program, and the greatness by which all other players that play for Colorado will be compared to, that's fine. You just can't get frustrated and attempt to browbeat others that don't share that perspective. Objectively, that duo only won 12 conference games and they lost 42.

Unfortunately, we get to see truly great players almost every night in Pac-12 play. Hopefully, the Colorado program catches up and is able to start recruiting on par. Because one thing we agree on is that "quit[e] simply the level of talent surrounding them was not on par with them or the conference they were playing in, no slam on the players, just the reality of the talent." We just disagree on our previous backcourt. You go ahead and believe they are the best players in program history, and truly GREAT players. You go ahead and believe that Ken and Lex did not have talent around them. I simply recognize that, as a team, including Ken and Lex, our team talent was not on par with our Pac-12 conference rivals. That is not disparaging those players, that's just obvious watching the games and reading the box scores.

I remember that Ken and Lex's teammates were recognized for their talent. Arianna Freeman was a 5-star recruit for Louisville, and played in nineteen games for the Cards on a Sweet-16 run before she transferred to CU. Jamie Swan, MacKenzie Ellis, Janea Bunn, Lauren Huggins and Mya Hollingshed are all special and talented players. Zoe Beard-Fails was pretty good. Monica Burich still plays for Drake, and they received an top AP-25 vote. Haley Smith was both honorable mention All-Pac 12 and honorable mention All-Pac 12 defensive team. Annika Jank was three time Pac-12 Freshman of the Week, honorable mention Pac-12 All-Freshman team. Quinessa Caylao-Do was Pac-12 All-Defensive honorable mention, and Nevada Classic All-Tournament. Peanut Tuitele was Pac-12 Freshman of the week and honorable mention Pac-12 All-Freshma team. So, no I do not agree that Ken or Lex haven't had good players around them. They did have good players around them. You say Ken and Lex were GREAT players. It still wasn't good enough even with good players around them.

I believe great players transcend the game, make the players around them better, and play the history books not so much the opponents. The reality is our previous backcourt was not able to compete in this conference, even with good players around them. The almost lost four times as many games as they won. Maybe they are the best players in our programs history. If that is the case, that really isn't saying much considering where this program has been since the 2003-2004 season ended.The reality is that even if Lex and Ken were, and I'll concede that to you, the best players in the history of the program, that level of talent still wasn't good enough for the program to be competitive. We just simply need better players. I think my point has been this is an exciting time for Colorado Women's Basketball and the Pac-12. The players we recruit going forward are all going to be incredible. The conference is incredible and will remain that way. This year's CU team will be better than last years. This program is getting better and going to great heights. I'm inviting you to get on board and start rooting for the Buffs instead of looking in the review mirror pretending the conference record of 12-42 the past four years was "the good old days." This program has had a winning tradition in the past, and we are close to turning the corner to have that tradition again. Unfortunately, the past four years won't be remembered as anything but transition. We didn't have any transcendent WBA level talent, and we didn't have any postseason or conference relevance. Hopefully, JR Payne turns that around.

This is a tough conference. Maite Cazorla came into the Pac-12 at the same time as Ken and Lex. Last year Maite was All-Pac 12, junior season was All-Pac 12 and honorable mention All-Pac 12 defensive team, she was All Pac-12 Freshman team and honorable mention All-Pac 12. She was drafted into the WNBA. It shoudn't be lost on anyone that she was a backup for Oregon. That's how good this conference is. Simply put, we just aren't and haven't been playing on the same level with our conference rivals, nor have we had comparable talent. Hopefully, that changes. It is not fun as Buffs fans being the laughing stock of the Pac-12.

I'd invite you to move on and support and root for this program, instead of against the Buffs in some misguided campaign to prove that our senior backcourt was the greatest ever, by wishing the Buffs lose to validate your opinion. To be honest, I can't see where you are coming from, other than suspecting this is personal for you, being directly related to one of those players or something. Otherwise, I honestly can't see where your passion and intractable opinion regarding a couple of players from a largely irrelevant team are coming from. So let's agree on Go Buffs! If you are someone's angry grandpa please leave me out of your attempt to prove your granddaughter was the greatest player to ever play the game.

Last edited:
So a nice litmus test. If we beat Xavier, then wouldn't we have to feel good about our 2 conference games against Utah?

Yes? Utah was so injured last season that while they were probably going to be given an NCAA tournament invite, their coach announced they would be turning down all postseason invitations (including WNIT) because it wasn't fair to her players because they just didn't have enough healthy bodies to keep playing. I don't know who they have returning or even sho is healthy. Maybe this is a totally different Utah team than last year. They had wins last year over BYU, Florida, Alabama, Colorado (twice), Arizona, Washington State (twice), Washington (twice), Cal, Stanford. Beating two NCAA tournament teams Cal and Stanford was no joke. Arizona won the WNIT. They lost 9 of their last 11, including their Pac-12 tournament loss, after having some bad luck with injuries. Who knows who they are this year. They could be just injured, or they could be bad. However, prior to being injured last year they were very very good.

Utah has the worst RPI in the Pac-12 (we have the 5th best). Utah only beat Texas Southern and the intense defensive pressure that athletic backcourt brought by a 61-52 margin, we beat Texas Southern 74-50. So is it okay to hope that we've made some progress?

Last edited:
These young ladies play their absolute guts out representing this program. They move here, away from the comfort and support of friends and family, and they make an incredible commitment to play Division One basketball. I don't think most fans have any concept of the amount of work these athletes put in. They put in so much time and energy into strength, conditioning, rehabilitative, flip that honestly we almost might need to consider at some point granting these athletes a second scholarship so they can go back after their playing careers end and give their educations the same focus and effort they gave to this game. We have some incredible young women and men in our athletic program, just exceptional young people, and there is no telling what they could accomplish in life, if they could pursue their education with the same drive, commitment, focus and effort required to compete at this level of sport, without the distractions of what their sports require.

If you want to advocate that Ken and Lex were the two best players in the history of this program, go for it. I have zero problem with that. I just think that Rick and Ceal might not be as willing as you are to put a statue out in front of the building, memorializing them.

I'm not one to put up with personal attacks, or anyone disparaging players that are here, or are no longer here. It is interesting how you parse words. I've made no disparaging comments about any of our players. In fact I haven't seen an ad hominem attack made by anyone here. I think most fans do a great job of keeping it about the game. Your comment that the talent surrounding our recent backcourt is not a personal attack on those players, as you say "no slam on the players, just the reality of the talent." My opinions should be taking in the same consideration as your opinions. Your opinion, as I understand it, is that the surrounding cast of a couple of players you perceive as truly great exceptional talents, were their downfall. If we are to respect that your evaluation of those players was "just the reality of the talent" please respect the opinions of others who also saw that backcourt as great players, traveled with them into hostile gyms, cheered for them, and enjoyed their development and accomplishments, but perhaps, viewed them with a little more objectivity than you are managing. I have no problem with you perceiving that backcourt as the greatest players to ever play for this program. I think any reasonable fan is going to see that as a stretch. However, to each their own. Fans see different things in different players. I saw a backcourt that really struggled in terms of "their level of talent" in the context of this crazy competitive conference, and I saw that for four years.

You use the term "Great." Great players transcend this game, their opponents aren't necessarily the other team but the history books. Individual players whose talent is so exceptional they single handedly lift a program up to competitive heights. Onyenware at UCLA took a program what was voted in the pre-season poll to finish 6th in conference and carried that program to the Sweet-16 where it should be noted the team that beat them at the NCAA tournament was none other than UCONN. Kelsey Plum arrived at a Washington program that was winning 20 games and getting to the WNIT or even the second round and took college basketball by storm as our game's version of Pistol Pete Maravich. Plum's freshman year she carried that Washington team to the WNIT semifinals and the next three years carried her team to the NCAA tournament, getting as far as the Final-Four, having two Sweet-Sixteen appearances. Unless you are going to suggest that Kelsey Plum's career at Washington was a function of the talent around her. I'll remind you that a captain on that Washington Final-Four team, and a starter playing huge significant minutes was none other than Alexus Atchley, a former walkon here at Colorado, and that wasn't good enough to remain on the roster here. Plum's spectacular talent was incredible and she was winning games at Washington with players that weren't good enough or talented enough to remain on the CU roster. Atchley, played with Ken and Lex their freshman year here at CU. Plum wasn't making excuses about whether the talent was good enough around her. Onyenware wasn't making excuses about whether UCLA had the pieces to complement her talent, yet. Aari McDonald transferred to Arizona, a program that was picked in the preseason poll to finish 10th (behind Colorado) last year, an Arizona program that had finished '17-'18 with only a 2-16 record in the Pac-12 (the same as Ken and Lex). Aari didn't make excuses regarding the lack of talent around her. McDonald became one of the most dynamic players in the entire country, and carried Arizona to 7 conference wins in the Pac-12 (Ken and Lex never won more than 5). Arizona beat ASU (a tournament team), Colorado (Aari had 32 points and with her superior athleticism shut down Ken's scoring she only had 11), California (tournament team), USC, Washington, Utah (a tournament team before injuries led them to announce they would decline postseason invites), Colorado again (an injured Ken only had 5 points 3 assists, Aari had 11 points and 9 assists). In Vegas as the Pac-12 tourney Aari was just absolutely electric and willed her team to upset USC, only to earn a game facing Oregon. Aari then went off scoring 34points against Ionescu and Cazorla (both WNBA level talents). Aari and Arizona didn't make excuses that they had the misfortune to run into Oregon in the bracket, they just went out and upset the WNIT with wins over Idaho State, Pacific, Idaho, Wyoming, TCU, and Northwestern. WNIT teams are no joke. Around here in we don't give a lot of respect to WNIT teams like Wyoming and Denver, but keep in mind that our senior backcourt that you want to annoint as the best players in program history, they were only good enough to make to make the WNIT a single time in '16-'17, and in that WNIT they were only good enough to win a single game. Ken had a great game, an incredible game against South Dakota State (who maybe should have been in the NCAA tournament), but had a terrible game against Iowa where her 2-14 shooting and 6 turnovers were the story of the game.

When Becky Hamman showed up at CSU, she would go onto be selected an All-American three times. Becky carried CSU to a 33-3 record in in '98-'99 and Sweet-16 run. Becky's number is retired now at CSU. Elite players go on to play in the WNBA, and their talent is unmistakable. Hammon came from the humble WAC (All-time leading scorer passing Keith Van Horn) but the lack of talent around her would have no bearing on her greatness as a basketball player. Becky would goo on to be a six-time WNBA All-star, two-time WNBA first team, two-time WNBA second team, led the WNBA in assists one season, was voted to the WBA top-15 Players of All-time in 2011, and the top-20 WNBA All-time players in 2016. Becky's number is now retired by her WNBA franchise, San Antonio. After her WNBA career ended she only went on to win, I believe, a Euroleague title. No fan can go through the CSU roster of players on Becky Hammon's CSU teams and identify talent that contributed to those historic CSU teams. Simply put, it was Becky. She is an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs now, and fans of women's basketball are cheering for her to be the first female coach in the NBA. Not WNBA, the NBA. Great basketball players transcend the game. Which is why Sue Bird is working for the Denver Nuggets.

The last two players that played anywhere close to that transcendent level for this Colorado program were Brittany Spears and Chucky Jeffrey. Both carried the Buffs teams they played on to some special things, and made the teams more competitive, and both were drafted into the WNBA. I just cannot reconcile your perspective of Ken and Lex, both good players for this program, with the players we have had that were historically great for this program. But that's okay. I think it is reasonable that we both remember good CU players with a different context. If you want to remember Ken and Lex as the two best player in the history of the program, and the greatness by which all other players that play for Colorado will be compared to, that's fine. You just can't get frustrated and attempt to browbeat others that don't share that perspective. Objectively, that duo only won 12 conference games and they lost 42.

Unfortunately, we get to see truly great players almost every night in Pac-12 play. Hopefully, the Colorado program catches up and is able to start recruiting on par. Because one thing we agree on is that "quit[e] simply the level of talent surrounding them was not on par with them or the conference they were playing in, no slam on the players, just the reality of the talent." We just disagree on our previous backcourt. You go ahead and believe they are the best players in program history, and truly GREAT players. You go ahead and believe that Ken and Lex did not have talent around them. I simply recognize that, as a team, including Ken and Lex, our team talent was not on par with our Pac-12 conference rivals. That is not disparaging those players, that's just obvious watching the games and reading the box scores.

I remember that Ken and Lex's teammates were recognized for their talent. Arianna Freeman was a 5-star recruit for Louisville, and played in nineteen games for the Cards on a Sweet-16 run before she transferred to CU. Jamie Swan, MacKenzie Ellis, Janea Bunn, Lauren Huggins and Mya Hollingshed are all special and talented players. Zoe Beard-Fails was pretty good. Monica Burich still plays for Drake, and they received an top AP-25 vote. Haley Smith was both honorable mention All-Pac 12 and honorable mention All-Pac 12 defensive team. Annika Jank was three time Pac-12 Freshman of the Week, honorable mention Pac-12 All-Freshman team. Quinessa Caylao-Do was Pac-12 All-Defensive honorable mention, and Nevada Classic All-Tournament. Peanut Tuitele was Pac-12 Freshman of the week and honorable mention Pac-12 All-Freshma team. So, no I do not agree that Ken or Lex haven't had good players around them. They did have good players around them. You say Ken and Lex were GREAT players. It still wasn't good enough even with good players around them.

I believe great players transcend the game, make the players around them better, and play the history books not so much the opponents. The reality is our previous backcourt was not able to compete in this conference, even with good players around them. The almost lost four times as many games as they won. Maybe they are the best players in our programs history. If that is the case, that really isn't saying much considering where this program has been since the 2003-2004 season ended.The reality is that even if Lex and Ken were, and I'll concede that to you, the best players in the history of the program, that level of talent still wasn't good enough for the program to be competitive. We just simply need better players. I think my point has been this is an exciting time for Colorado Women's Basketball and the Pac-12. The players we recruit going forward are all going to be incredible. The conference is incredible and will remain that way. This year's CU team will be better than last years. This program is getting better and going to great heights. I'm inviting you to get on board and start rooting for the Buffs instead of looking in the review mirror pretending the conference record of 12-42 the past four years was "the good old days." This program has had a winning tradition in the past, and we are close to turning the corner to have that tradition again. Unfortunately, the past four years won't be remembered as anything but transition. We didn't have any transcendent WBA level talent, and we didn't have any postseason or conference relevance. Hopefully, JR Payne turns that around.

This is a tough conference. Maite Cazorla came into the Pac-12 at the same time as Ken and Lex. Last year Maite was All-Pac 12, junior season was All-Pac 12 and honorable mention All-Pac 12 defensive team, she was All Pac-12 Freshman team and honorable mention All-Pac 12. She was drafted into the WNBA. It shoudn't be lost on anyone that she was a backup for Oregon. That's how good this conference is. Simply put, we just aren't and haven't been playing on the same level with our conference rivals, nor have we had comparable talent. Hopefully, that changes. It is not fun as Buffs fans being the laughing stock of the Pac-12.

I'd invite you to move on and support and root for this program, instead of against the Buffs in some misguided campaign to prove that our senior backcourt was the greatest ever, by wishing the Buffs lose to validate your opinion. To be honest, I can't see where you are coming from, other than suspecting this is personal for you, being directly related to one of those players or something. Otherwise, I honestly can't see where your passion and intractable opinion regarding a couple of players from a largely irrelevant team are coming from. So let's agree on Go Buffs! If you are someone's angry grandpa please leave me out of your attempt to prove your granddaughter was the greatest player to ever play the game.

As I could only keep my eyes open long enough to read part of your manifesto I’ll just share a few corrections:

I never said Kennedy and Lex were the greatest backcourt in history simply that they were a great backcourt. The pac 12 coaches, media, Lieberman committee and Naismith committee all seemed to feel that way about Kennedy (maybe they are all related to kenn)

You said and have said neither were competitive with the guards in the conference. The pac 12 coaches, media, Lieberman committee and Naismith committee all seemed to feel that way about Kennedy (maybe they are all related to Kennedy)
You have a right to your own opinion but not your own facts:
Maite started for 4 years at Oregon
Leonard won 60 % of the games she started between her sophomore and senior years
Over the last 5 years CU has had fewer pac 12 first team or honorable mentions then any team in the conference
The players you mentioned were all good and they covered 8 years of teams. Please make apples to apples comparisons
Alexus never played on a roster with Leonard and Robinson
Don’t compare McDonald unless you compare the team and the last 2 recruiting classes
No one said they were Becky Hammond (and FYI Hammond did not play in the pac 12)
Please stop disparaging these great players. You’ve done it for 5 years. I don’t know what Leonard (or Robinson) did you you but let it go. Both of thier names litter the record books, your “opinion” will not erase those facts
GO BUFFS

As I could only keep my eyes open long enough to read part of your manifesto I’ll just share a few corrections:

You said and have said neither were competitive with the guards in the conference. The pac 12 coaches, media, Lieberman committee and Naismith committee all seemed to feel that way about Kennedy (maybe they are all related to Kennedy)

Okay I wasn't sure if you were Ken's angry grandpa, or Lex's. With this latest point you are definitely somehow directly connected to Ken. Nothing else really would even make sense as to why you're on this weird campaign. If you need an angry grandpa nap, because you can't keep your eyes open and you want to enjoy dreaming of your granddaughter and her backcourt teammate cutting down the nets of multiple Pac-12 championships, WNIT semi-finals and finals appearances, and getting to the NCAA tournament and Final-Four, then go take that nap. We all had those hopes, but they were just dreams. Reality the past several years was a waking nightmare where the CU players could not compete in the conference.

The CU teams that Ken and Lex played on were simply NOT competitive, and Ken and Lex were NOT competitive with the guards in our conference. Both struggled to guard their player and win their Pac-12 matchup on a nightly basis. CU's defensive approach had to be altered from what JR likes to normally do because the backcourt couldn't guard one vs one their Pac-12 matchup on most nights. In the end compensating for the defensive struggles of our backcourt, typically resulting in having to play a third guard, Quinessa, and only playing two bigs, even where JR might have wanted to get Jank, Mya and Peanut on the floor together. In the end CU was constantly getting exposed by open wing shooters as our wing defenders were being asked schematically to sag to support Ken and Lex who were just getting beat off the dribble too consistently.

By definition, neither our team, nor Ken and Lex were competitive with the guards in the conference. If however, you believe that only winning about one-fifth of all conference games they ever played in, and losing almost exactly four times as many conference games this duo won makes them competitive, then by all means you must be right, they were the best ever. Let's build statues of each player. Let's write angry letters to each WNBA franchise that didn't select either player, or even give them a tryout, and demand they acknowledge the superiority of these GOATs. Best ever. This program has nowhere to go but down after their departure. They carried us to two consecutive seasons of two conference wins per season, with their greatness. The sixteen conference losses they incurred on the way to those two conference wins each season, well we won't be confused by those FACTS!

Maite started for 4 years at Oregon

Cazorla was Oregon's PG her freshman year, maybe you missed that. She then became Ionescu's backup at PG. Obviously Cazorla was a singular talent in her own right. Yes, she continued to start for Oregon as an off guard. My point was that one of the best point guards in the conference, not just players, and an eventual WNBA player, lost her job as starting PG to an ever more spectacular individual talent at PG. That's how good this insane conference is. Obviously, you'd believe that had Ken and Lex played at Oregon, both Cazorla and Ionescu would have been relegated to the bench because of their superior talent. You don't even have to post that. We get it. GOATs both.

Leonard won 60 % of the games she started between her sophomore and senior years

This CU team won just 12 conference games between Ken's sophomore and senior years, they lost 42 conference games. That is not indicative of greatness. Ken was one of the best Freshman Point Guards I've ever seen in this conference, but not anywhere close to the best. If we factor in her freshman season as well this CU team won just 14 conference games in Ken and Lex's career, and they lost a staggering 58 conference games. Non-conference is irrelevant for a Pac-12 team. Get real. CU should be expected to be undefeated at the end of every non-conference portion of the schedule. At this point you're just reaching and pandering if you are resorting to trying to conflate non-conference wins. Ken and Lex's Pac-12 record reveals everything you need to know.

Over the last 5 years CU has had fewer pac 12 first team or honorable mentions then any team in the conference

Yes. These were not good Buffs teams. There were no hidden GOATs. From the top of the roster to bottom the past several year CU has needed better players at every position.

The players you mentioned were all good and they covered 8 years of teams. Please make apples to apples comparisons

Exactly. That was my point. Ken and Lex played with good players on their teams and it still wasn't good enough. You were trying to make some point that the lack of talent is what held GOATs Ken and Lex back, that simply is not true. The reality is that these players were not competitive in this conference. Trying to point fingers at Ken and Lex's teammates and saying their GREATNESS was held back is just really grasping, in my opinion.

Alexus never played on a roster with Leonard and Robinson

You called Ken and Lex "great" players. Then you made the point (you were wrong) that Ken and Lex were held back by not having good players around them. As if that holds truly great players back. Which is why I made the point that a former CU walkon that was shown the door by Lappe, transferred to Washington, and became a starter, a captain, and a key piece on a team that a truly great player, Kelsey Plum, would carry to the Final-Four. GOATs don't need good players around them to win and be great. They transcend the game.

Don’t compare McDonald unless you compare the team and the last 2 recruiting classes

We wouldn't want to have to encounter any examples or reasonable arguments of great player in the recent Pac-12 that went to nearly identical programs as CU in terms of a complete lack of conference competitiveness, that actually played against Ken and Lex, and which took a team that was 2-16 in conference (just like the Buffs) to competitive heights with their greatness. Nope. That would shatter the bubble of believing Ken and Lex were GOATs. Its much better to just dream in the bubble of a women's basketball safe space where no one should challenge the memories you have of your granddaughter, daughter, or whatever she is to you. Its better to disparage their teammates and blame everyone else that they didn't win more games. They were held back by incompetent coaches, terrible teammates. How dare the WNBA talent evaluators not recognize these players greatness through their dismal 14-58 conference record which revealed they couldn't compete with guards on this level, or compete in a conference of this caliber.

No one said they were Becky Hammond (and FYI Hammond did not play in the pac 12)

The point was truly GREAT players transcend beyond their teammates ability, the quality of their conference, and their talent is unmistakeable. If Becky Hammon had played in the Pac-12 she'd have killed it just like she killed WAC and WNBA competition. It didn't matter who was around her or who the opponent was.

Please stop disparaging these great players. You’ve done it for 5 years. I don’t know what Leonard (or Robinson) did you you but let it go. Both of thier names litter the record books, your “opinion” will not erase those facts

What are you talking about? The only person who has disparaged any of these players is you. For some reason pointing fingers and needing to "blame" Ken and Lex's teammates as the reason their greatness wasn't recognized universally. They had some very good teammates. They were very good. It still wasn't good enough. What would be so difficult about having to recognize that Ken and Lex whose careers are in the books as great players in the limited context of Colorado Women's basketball, but in the context of Pac-12 or WNBA basketball just weren't good enough? Why is that so difficult to have to accept? Why this insane campaign to try to force people to see your granddaughter (daughter?), or whatever these ladies are to you as GREAT?

There were better Division One players at other Colorado schools during Ken and Lex's run. That's not disparaging them, that is a testament to some of the GREAT young women that play this game. If you never learned how to lose graciously in sports, if your default reaction to everything is "they cheated" or "we were better," or "my granddaughter (daughter?) is still the best" then I think you missed the most valuable lessons in all of sports. If you want to argue with someone about how truly great you think Ken and Lex were, go talk to Bill Laimbeer. He's a definitive authority on evaluating prospective WNBA talent, and the women's game. He'll tell you exactly where the two stood in comparison to their Pac-12 peers, and he won't sugarcoat it so it might be tough to hear.

Please just STOP.

Last edited:
Okay I wasn't sure if you were Ken's angry grandpa, or Lex's. With this latest point you are definitely somehow directly connected to Ken. Nothing else really would even make sense as to why you're on this weird campaign. If you need an angry grandpa nap, because you can't keep your eyes open and you want to enjoy dreaming of your granddaughter and her backcourt teammate cutting down the nets of multiple Pac-12 championships, WNIT semi-finals and finals appearances, and getting to the NCAA tournament and Final-Four, then go take that nap. We all had those hopes, but they were just dreams. Reality the past several years was a waking nightmare where the CU players could not compete in the conference.

The CU teams that Ken and Lex played on were simply NOT competitive, and Ken and Lex were NOT competitive with the guards in our conference. Both struggled to guard their player and win their Pac-12 matchup on a nightly basis. CU's defensive approach had to be altered from what JR likes to normally do because the backcourt couldn't guard one vs one their Pac-12 matchup on most nights. In the end compensating for the defensive struggles of our backcourt, typically resulting in having to play a third guard, Quinessa, and only playing two bigs, even where JR might have wanted to get Jank, Mya and Peanut on the floor together. In the end CU was constantly getting exposed by open wing shooters as our wing defenders were being asked schematically to sag to support Ken and Lex who were just getting beat off the dribble too consistently.

By definition, neither our team, nor Ken and Lex were competitive with the guards in the conference. If however, you believe that only winning about one-fifth of all conference games they ever played in, and losing almost exactly four times as many conference games this duo won makes them competitive, then by all means you must be right, they were the best ever. Let's build statues of each player. Let's write angry letters to each WNBA franchise that didn't select either player, or even give them a tryout, and demand they acknowledge the superiority of these GOATs. Best ever. This program has nowhere to go but down after their departure. They carried us to two consecutive seasons of two conference wins per season, with their greatness. The sixteen conference losses they incurred on the way to those two conference wins each season, well we won't be confused by those FACTS!

Cazorla was Oregon's PG her freshman year, maybe you missed that. She then became Ionescu's backup at PG. Obviously Cazorla was a singular talent in her own right. Yes, she continued to start for Oregon as an off guard. My point was that one of the best point guards in the conference, not just players, and an eventual WNBA player, lost her job as starting PG to an ever more spectacular individual talent at PG. That's how good this insane conference is. Obviously, you'd believe that had Ken and Lex played at Oregon, both Cazorla and Ionescu would have been relegated to the bench because of their superior talent. You don't even have to post that. We get it. GOATs both.

This CU team won just 12 conference games between Ken's sophomore and senior years, they lost 42 conference games. That is not indicative of greatness. Ken was one of the best Freshman Point Guards I've ever seen in this conference, but not anywhere close to the best. If we factor in her freshman season as well this CU team won just 14 conference games in Ken and Lex's career, and they lost a staggering 58 conference games. Non-conference is irrelevant for a Pac-12 team. Get real. CU should be expected to be undefeated at the end of every non-conference portion of the schedule. At this point you're just reaching and pandering if you are resorting to trying to conflate non-conference wins. Ken and Lex's Pac-12 record reveals everything you need to know.

Yes. These were not good Buffs teams. There were no hidden GOATs. From the top of the roster to bottom the past several year CU has needed better players at every position.

Exactly. That was my point. Ken and Lex played with good players on their teams and it still wasn't good enough. You were trying to make some point that the lack of talent is what held GOATs Ken and Lex back, that simply is not true. The reality is that these players were not competitive in this conference. Trying to point fingers at Ken and Lex's teammates and saying their GREATNESS was held back is just really grasping, in my opinion.

You called Ken and Lex "great" players. Then you made the point (you were wrong) that Ken and Lex were held back by not having good players around them. As if that holds truly great players back. Which is why I made the point that a former CU walkon that was shown the door by Lappe, transferred to Washington, and became a starter, a captain, and a key piece on a team that a truly great player, Kelsey Plum, would carry to the Final-Four. GOATs don't need good players around them to win and be great. They transcend the game.

We wouldn't want to have to encounter any examples or reasonable arguments of great player in the recent Pac-12 that went to nearly identical programs as CU in terms of a complete lack of conference competitiveness, that actually played against Ken and Lex, and which took a team that was 2-16 in conference (just like the Buffs) to competitive heights with their greatness. Nope. That would shatter the bubble of believing Ken and Lex were GOATs. Its much better to just dream in the bubble of a women's basketball safe space where no one should challenge the memories you have of your granddaughter, daughter, or whatever she is to you. Its better to disparage their teammates and blame everyone else that they didn't win more games. They were held back by incompetent coaches, terrible teammates. How dare the WNBA talent evaluators not recognize these players greatness through their dismal 14-58 conference record which revealed they couldn't compete with guards on this level, or compete in a conference of this caliber.

The point was truly GREAT players transcend beyond their teammates ability, the quality of their conference, and their talent is unmistakeable. If Becky Hammon had played in the Pac-12 she'd have killed it just like she killed WAC and WNBA competition. It didn't matter who was around her or who the opponent was.

What are you talking about? The only person who has disparaged any of these players is you. For some reason pointing fingers and needing to "blame" Ken and Lex's teammates as the reason their greatness wasn't recognized universally. They had some very good teammates. They were very good. It still wasn't good enough. What would be so difficult about having to recognize that Ken and Lex whose careers are in the books as great players in the limited context of Colorado Women's basketball, but in the context of Pac-12 or WNBA basketball just weren't good enough? Why is that so difficult to have to accept? Why this insane campaign to try to force people to see your granddaughter (daughter?), or whatever these ladies are to you as GREAT?

There were better Division One players at other Colorado schools during Ken and Lex's run. That's not disparaging them, that is a testament to some of the GREAT young women that play this game. If you never learned how to lose graciously in sports, if your default reaction to everything is "they cheated" or "we were better," or "my granddaughter (daughter?) is still the best" then I think you missed the most valuable lessons in all of sports. If you want to argue with someone about how truly great you think Ken and Lex were, go talk to Bill Laimbeer. He's a definitive authority on evaluating prospective WNBA talent, and the women's game. He'll tell you exactly where the two stood in comparison to their Pac-12 peers, and he won't sugarcoat it so it might be tough to hear.

Please just STOP.
Your killing me RWAG, I’m trying to watch m other daughter and granddaughters play Xavier.

You disparage them, particularly focused on Kennedy, through out the last 5 yrs when you say they were average, can’t defend, were losers and all of the other subtle and not do subtle attacks

One does not have to be related to someone to define them as great. Again; are the pac 12 coaches, Media, Naismith committee and Lieberman committee related to Kennedy?? Or Lex??

Please after 5 years Leave them and their legacy alone. I’m sure there are sorry for whatever they did to you or your daughter or granddaughter,

Please stop

I just want to watch my buffs not read your false narrative and fake news

ps I called Laimbeer And he agrees with me (and pac12 coaches, media, Naismith and Lieberman and the record books)
Bye bye

Last edited:
Back