What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball hosts USC (Friday,1/10, 7:00 MT) & #8/9 UCLA (Sunday, Noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs start their home slate of conference games with 3 straight in Boulder, starting this Friday vs. the young but talented Trojans and Sunday against the #8 (AP poll)/ #9 (USA Today/ Coaches poll) Bruins.
(Note - After last weekend, the Buffs are at #28 RPI, while USC is at #106 and UCLA #7. Also (although I don't believe they matter for tournament selection), In the Massey ratings, UCLA is #6, CU at #32 and USC at #82.)

Go Buffs - Beat the Trojans and Bruins!

Preview article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/8/womens-basketball-buffs-kickoff-homestand.aspx

"
BOULDER — After playing almost a full month away from the CU Events Center, the Colorado women's basketball is looking forward to a little home cooking. The Buffaloes return against Southern California on Friday, kicking off a three-game homestand.

Colorado (12-2, 1-2 Pac-12) started the conference season with three straight on the road. CU opened with a win at Utah, the team's 12 consecutive, before making the toughest trip in basketball last week at No. 2 Oregon and No. 3 Oregon State.

"To open Pac-12 play on the road with a bunch of young players was a bit nerve-racking," head coach JR Payne recalled. "We had a great preseason. I think we feel really good about who we are and how we are playing."

The Buffs return home in the middle of a two-game losing streak, a situation this young team has not experienced this season.

"I think it's [CU's win at Utah] a huge confidence boost for us," Tuitele added. "Last year was depleting losing game after game but this year we know what we're capable of and we know what we're worth. This year, I think once we hit all cylinders and we're all connected we can be a scary team in the Pac-12."

A win against USC on Friday would match CU's conference win total from a year ago and would be a huge boost heading into Sunday against eighth-ranked UCLA.

"UCLA is one of the few teams is still undefeated and USC is really young," Payne noted. "They [USC] have a few McDonald's All-Americans as freshmen. They are talented but young. UCLA returns some really talented players and they are good."

Friday's game is set for a 7 p.m. MT start. The team is having a school supply drive and fans that donate supplies will receive a $5 general admission ticket to the Oregon State game (Jan. 30). Sunday is the first game of the basketball doubleheader. The Buffs will take on the Bruins at noon MT, before the men's game against Utah. It is the team's annual American Girl Doll Day.

All of Colorado's Pac-12 games will be televised on the Pac-12 Network this season. You can also catch the game on the Colorado Radio Network with the TuneIn app.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:
Game Notes
(for USC game ) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2020/1/8//1_10_USC.pdf?id=14990

Live stats (for both games) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

@ USC (Friday, 7:00 PM MT)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2020/01/10/usc-colorado .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2361&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=743597841527589621 .

@ #8/9 UCLA (Sunday, Noon MT):
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Los Angeles channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2020/01/12/ucla-colorado .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2362&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=743597841527589621 .

Last edited:
Brian Howell has a podcast on buffoon.com and he interviewed J.R. today and J.R. said that while Charlotte is getting better she probably will not play this weekend. Said crowd and being on TV kind of made the team nervous against Oregon. She said she needed to prepare them more for that but liked how they responded on sunday

USC on Friday is another one of those games that we almost have to win.

agree that USC is a must win if this team has any NCAA aspirations. Coming out of this weekend at 2-3 would be a good start for this team

I know we have to play the game, but the Massey site has CU favored to win 67-59.

Have no idea how the calculations are made or if that considers Whitaker probably isn't playing.

After the strong start, it's not great offensive play for the Buffs, but they're only down 2 at the half after the 2nd quarter has USC only holding a 7-10 advantage . (Among other things, the Buffs are only shooting 25% from the field, already have 11 turnovers, and scored 2 points in the last ~7-1/2 minutes of the half.)

nice win. Sherrod is so much better than Sila at pg. Nice to see Clark get out of her slump. USC has some players that are big and very wide.

nice win. Sherrod is so much better than Sila at pg. Nice to see Clark get out of her slump. USC has some players that are big and very wide.

Sila is doing fine and is giving Sherrod a chance to rest, that will pay off over the next 2 months. Emma was 2-29 going into the second half over the last three games, it was great to see her hit a couple in the second half.

Article after this evening's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/10/womens-basketball-buffs-triumphant-in-return-home.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado women's basketball's return to the CU Events Center did not disappoint. The Buffaloes improved to 7-0 on their home floor with a 66-53 win over Southern California.

The win gives the Buffs 13 on the season, one more than a year ago. It's also CU's second win in the Pac-12 season, matching the total from last season. USC falls to 8-7 overall on 0-4 in the Pac-12.

The Buffs spread the scoring across the board on Friday, with three players reaching double figures. Senior Quinessa Caylao-Do and sophomore Emma Clarke led the way with 13 points and eight assists. Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod totaled 10 points and a team-high seven assists. Mya Hollingshed and Peanut Tuitele rounded out the starting lineup with six points apiece.

It was a tale of two halves for the Buffs. Colorado started quick in the first quarter but struggled into the half with a 25.0 field goal percentage (8-32). CU recovered in the second half, thanks to a 27-point third quarter. The Buffs finished the final 20 minutes shooting 53.6 percent (15-28).

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs, without the likes of Charlotte Whittaker in the lineup, snagged 50 rebounds for the second time this season. CU outrebounded USC by 19, 50-31, matching its season-high margin (Wyoming).

NOTES: Charlotte Whittaker did not play on Friday after missing most of the game against Oregon State due to injury…Jank finished with five points, passing 500 for her career (502)…Clarke's 13 points give her 301 career points…Hollingshed had seven rebounds, giving 399 for her career…CU's 61.1 field goal percentage was its 10th quarter shooting over 60 percent this season…CU's 17-point lead is the largest of the Pac-12 season.

NEXT UP: The Buffs are back at the CU Events Center on Sunday. Colorado will play the first leg of a doubleheader with the men's team, opening the day against No. 8 UCLA at noon.

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall thoughts
"
I just told the team I was proud of our resiliency. That's something that we kind of hang our hat on in our locker room. It's so important that you have that characteristic because this league is too good. No one's going to play a perfect game or perfect half. We were clearly evidence of that because the first half wasn't the best basketball we've played. I was really proud of our togetherness. We just stuck together, continued to compete and continued to understand that we needed to be more aggressive in the second half and that the shots would start to fall. We just played a great second half, I think."

On the message at halftime
"I will say our first three minutes were really good. After that it kind of went downhill. The message at halftime, we just said 'listen, we're better than that.' We can play better basketball than that. We need to and we're going to. We needed a more aggressive mindset offensively, defensively, on the glass and we definitely were able to do that in the second half."

On CU's rebounding
"We have a great rebounding team. We don't just rely on one or two people to rebound. We knew that even right before the game. I said, hey Emma, 'what's your highest rebounding total?' I think she said nine or 10. I said, 'okay, let's go for 11.' Just meaning let's just get a couple more than we can. Our effort was great on the glass. I think everyone knew with Charlotte [Whittaker] out tonight, that we needed to step up in that area because she is such a good rebounder for us and we did."
"
___________________________________________________________________________________________

And, some highlights of and interviews after the game-

Last edited:
Sherrod has had a cold. It appeared to me the coaches were resting her more than usual because of it.

Hope Clark stays out of that slump.

Hope Whitaker heals quickly.

Listened to an interview at half time on the radio broadcast with Michelle Irving. She is a former player and retired chief of the CU Police Department. She was talking about being recruited to CU by Jerry Zancanelli in the days of no recruiting dollars. He had her work out for a friend before offering her a spot on the team.

She said both Zancanelli and Walseth (I knew about Walseth) were overly concerned if they touched one of the players. She said it's hard to coach without ever touching a player.

I know it's been stated, but this was a real important win for the Buffs and their post season aspirations. Glad they didn't fold when then they were bit by the turnover bug.

USC is rebuilding, injured and is young. CU needs should be winning these types of games.

I was telling a friend that CU has a shot at winning 8 conference games this season. This win was one of the "must wins" if that's going to happen.

Still, they need to really cut down on the turnovers. Too many possessions are empty.

Tremendous rebounding effort by the team!

That was big. I thought we had the better team, but didn’t know how the team would respond after that brutal OR trip. Seems it might have made them stronger.

It was huge, especially with Wittaker being out and Sherrod being sick. It would be nice to see them get a win on sunday. Really starting to think this team has a chance at the NCAA

UCLA has much more talent than CU if they continue shooting decently it will be a long day.

That drive and dish by Sherrod to Mya was a thing of beauty.

I'm loving how hard the team is playing today. Everyone on the bench has been up and intense, too. They're playing for each other.

Ya, even though we will lose this game, this is actually a encouraging performance. Never quit, always fight.
Yep. The perspective I'm trying to keep is that there are 4 Pac-12 teams who I'd expect to see in the Elite 8 or better at the end (UO, OSU, Stan, UCLA). A good team can play well against any of those and still lose by 20.

I'm mostly watching to see fight/competitiveness and whether we look like we belong on the court. That's al there. And maybe we'll get treated to a signature win upset in one of these if the ball bounces the right way for us. Only down b 10 now.

Sherrod not getting home/star treatment by refs yet. It's cost us a couple times in this one.

Only down by 7 with 2:45 to go.

Back