What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball on the road to face #6 Stanford (Friday,1/24, 8:00 MT) & Cal (Sunday, 1:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Another week, another highly ranked opponent as the Buffs start this week's slate of games against #6 Stanford (16-2, 5-1), then follow up with a Sunday matinee against Cal (8-9, 0-6).

(Note - Through yesterday, the Buffs are at #50 RPI, while Stanford is #4 and Cal #101. Also (although I don't believe they matter for tournament selection), In the Massey ratings, Stanford is #6, CU #44 and Cal #96.)

Go Buffs - Beat the Cardinal and Golden Bears!

Preview article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/22/womens-basketball-buffs-head-to-the-bay.aspx

"
STANFORD, Calif. — The Colorado women's basketball team has had a week to move past a disappointing 84-69 loss to Utah last Friday. The Buffaloes, who only had one game last week, will look to get back on track this weekend visiting No. 6/6 Stanford and California.

Colorado (13-4, 2-4 Pac-12) isn't going to forget the outcome from last Friday. They are going to try and learn from it.

"We've had a great week," head coach JR Payne explained. "We watched the Utah game in its entirety as a team. We very much have moved on since then and refocused on areas that we need to improve, our communication and things like that. I feel like this has been a great week so far."

The Buffs and Cardinal met just once last season in Boulder. The two teams could not have been in more different places at the time. CU was on a six-game losing skid and Stanford was the No. 6/7 team in the nation. The Buffs came out and surprised the Cardinal and led by as many as 10 points in the first half. Colorado outscored Stanford in three of the four quarters, but a 32-point third quarter proved to be too much to overcome.

For the Buffs to have success this weekend, they will need to pick things up on offense. Colorado has not shot above 40 percent in its last five games, dating back to its win at Utah (48.3 percent). The task at hand might be easier said than done. Stanford ranks 10th in the nation, holding opponents to a 34.1 field goal percentage this season.

"It's important for us to be the aggressive team," Payne continued. "On offense, we need to be able to make shots. The times that we've been competitive with Stanford, that's been a big part of our success. We've been able to get decent looks but we've knocked down shots. Competing on the glass is going to be important. That's something we do very well. Then we've got to be able to defend you know they run in transition, but they also score efficiently in the half-court."

The Buffs will travel to California to end the weekend. CU has lost the last two to the Bears but picked up a road win (64-59) in Coach Payne's first season. The Bears are 8-9 overall this season and 0-6 in the Pac-12. They are currently on a six-game losing streak and will host Utah on Friday.

Friday's game at Stanford is set for an 8 p.m. MT start. Sunday will be a 1 p.m. MT tip.

All of Colorado's Pac-12 games will be televised on the Pac-12 Network this season. You can also catch the game on the Colorado Radio Network with the TuneIn app.
"

Media links:

Game Notes (For Stanford game) -

@ #6 Stanford (Friday, 8:00 PM MT)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and Bay Area channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any of those Pac 12 channels, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2020/01/24/colorado-stanford .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2364&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=748970346469783420 .

Live stats - https://gostanford.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

@ Cal (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT):
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2020/01/26/colorado-california .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2365&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=748970346469783420 .

Link to link to live stats - https://calbears.com/sports/2016/8/22/live-stats.aspx

I'm guilty of not really following the women too close and just realized how crazy good the Pac 12 is. Holy sh!t! C'mon, Buffs!
I don't follow it that closely either. I'm a casual WBB fan limited to supporting the CU program. But, yeah, the conference has had 4 of the top 10 teams in the nation all season with both the AZ schools in the top 20 (and maybe good enough to make a deep tourney run with the right draw). Got to be pretty darn good to even be competitive in most conference games. Hell, Cal is in last place with a new coach -- that's a program that generally goes to the Dance every year and made a Final Four recently.

The Buffs follow up their 21 point 1st quarter (they were up 21-13) with only 4 in the second. Thankfully, looks like their defense is still doing pretty well, and they're only down 2 and are definitely still in it at the half.

Hollingshed with a huge 3 off the board to give the Buffs a 2 point lead with 1.6 seconds left, but Stanford is able to get a layup off the inbounds.

Turnover Buffs, Stanford still up 3 and now have the ball with 35 seconds left.

It's sad that seemingly everyone, including the refs and announcers, all seem to be pulling for Stanford.

Stanford going to win this one- they're up 5 and just got a foul on the defensive board off a Buff miss.

Ugh what a huge bummer, I feel like I jinxed us, I tuned in when I saw we were up by 7 with like 3 mins left. That woulda been the biggest win in years. Oh well, lets beat Cal Sunday!

Mega Bummer! Buffs did a lot well, but defending in the last 1.6 seconds. That was really a killer. Ashten Prechtel - from Colorado Springs - was a Buff killer. Scored the last basket in regulation and got many key rebounds.

In over time the Buffs weren't able to get shots off once they gave up the lead.

Last edited:
The players on this team have never considered quitting. Please do not quit on them.

Jaylyn Sherrod played probably the best game of her young career.

The wins will come. Stanford has to visit Boulder in February. The game will be played the same day the 25 year anniversary of the winningest team in Colorado women's basketball history will be honored. I hope this team, the current team, shows that team they have the same kind of will, fight and determination.

Never say never and do not give up on this team or these players. They have not given up and will not give up.

This team appears to have a different team psyche than team of the last 10 years or so. They BELIEVE in themselves and each other.

It's sad that seemingly everyone, including the refs and announcers, all seem to be pulling for Stanford.

That is poor announcing. I see it on the Big 10 channel also. They are a ranked team. They will win. The underdog isn't going to pull this off.

I remember thinking the same thing about the announcers. I told them more than once (not that they could hear me yelling at my computer) to stop cheering for Stanford and be impartial PAC 12 announcers.

Nm. Go Buffs!

Edit: damnnnit! Bwalk man...
Unfortunately it looked like the team did this too.. They mobbed Mya after her 3 that put the Buffs up 2 with 1.6 seconds to go and celebrated like the game was over. Then they couldn't stop Stanford from getting the lay-up for the tie.

Last edited:
I don't follow it that closely either. I'm a casual WBB fan limited to supporting the CU program. But, yeah, the conference has had 4 of the top 10 teams in the nation all season with both the AZ schools in the top 20 (and maybe good enough to make a deep tourney run with the right draw). Got to be pretty darn good to even be competitive in most conference games. Hell, Cal is in last place with a new coach -- that's a program that generally goes to the Dance every year and made a Final Four recently.
Via the P12 morning show: Last night the Oregon WBB teams game sold out. The AZ teams drew 10.6k. A huge recruiting advantage. I believe O signed 5 McD All-Americans this year

Back