What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball opens season hosting Western Colo. (Wed., 11/25, 6:00 PM MT) & Air Force (Sat., 12:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs are scheduled to open their season hosting a couple Colorado schools, with a game against D2 Western Colorado on Wednesday evening, followed up with a Saturday afternoon matinee against Air Force . (Edit- As I note in post #12, the start time for the Air Force game has changed to noon.)

Go Buffs!!!

Note- as a reminder, I don't believe any fans will be allowed to watch games live on-site for, at minimum, any 2020 games. (From the November Pac 12 WBB schedule release (https://pac-12.com/article/2020/11/...ame-womens-basketball-league-schedule-2020-21) it looks like the Sept. 24th Covid-19 release (https://pac-12.com/article/2020/09/24/pac-12-announcement) still applies. That said "No fans will be permitted at any sporting competition taking place on Pac-12 campuses. The decision to not allow fans at competitions will be revisited based upon health and safety considerations in January 2021.".)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Preview for Western Colorado game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/11/23...ffs-set-to-open-against-western-colorado.aspx

"
BOULDER – If 2020 has taught any lesson, it is that nothing is guaranteed. That is one thing that the Colorado women's basketball team has had to work through as they get set to begin the 2020-21 season against Western Colorado on Wednesday.

The Buffs have worked up to the season-opener, starting from functional groups early in the preseason to being able to run full-squad practices to being 48 hours away from actual gameplay.

"At points, we did have to wonder maybe we weren't going to get games in this season," head coach JR Payne explained. "Not because of anything we were or weren't doing, but just because of the status of the world. There were times that we were doubtful but remained hopeful. We are beyond excited to get to play. We've worked really hard to not only get ready to play basketball but also taking the necessary precautions and make great decisions to allow ourselves to play."

Colorado finished last season with a 16-14 record and were beyond hopeful to claim a spot in the WNIT and head back to the postseason for the first time since the 2016-17 season. CU's last game came on March 5 at the Pac-12 Tournament and by the next week, postseason play was canceled across the nation due to COVID-19.

"We have not played against anyone other than ourselves," Payne said about the preseason process. "There's been times that we haven't had a full roster because of just little knick-knack injuries and stuff so we had to play people out of position and do different things.

"I think the goals are to get out there and have fun and play hard. I don't think any team in America is going to play beautiful basketball early on in the season. If we can play hard, have fun and get better that'll be a huge win for us."

Tip-off against Western Colorado is set for 6 p.m. MT. The game will be streamed online at CUBuffs.com/WatchWBB and can be heard on the TuneIn app.
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live stats
(for both games) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary and/ or https://admin.cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary
(The 1st link worked last year, while the 2nd is what's showing on this year's schedule. Just to be safe, I'm listing both for now.)

Live video (Free stream for both games) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Vs. Western Colorado (Wednesday, 6:00 PM MT):
Game Notes
- https://cubuffs.com/documents/2020/11/23//11_25_Western.pdf

Live Audio - https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=859629065942746144

Vs. Air Force (Saturday, 2:00 12:00 PM MT):
Game Notes -
Not available as I type this.

Live Audio - https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=859629065942746144

Last edited:
As might be anticipated the Buffs aren't having much problem with Western Colorado, and lead 39-15 at the half. (Must still feel GREAT to be on the court against another team!)

Here was the starting lineup-

It was so much fun to finally see a basketball game. Brian Howell said they used piped in crowd noise. It was strange to see no fans and the players chairs spread out. Same thing for the press conference after the game.

I know they are trying their best to be safe as they don't know if their next game will be played.

Mya's double double was fun. Forman is going to be good.

Defense really broke down in the 2nd half and let Western get too many 3's. In this game it didn't matter but it will matter when they get to Oregon/Oregon State.

Nice to have a game when all eligible players could get in for more than a few minutes.

Wish Tayanna Jones would find out if she gets a waiver to play this season. Raoul on Twitter said he knows of only 3 who have been denied.

It was nice to see them play again. Fromman will be good. Little concerned about shooting and what seemed like a lot of early 3 point shots when imo they should have been getting it inside more. I also liked Lafontaine, looked like a tough player. Have to shoot better when they play in the pac 12

Appreciate the game reviews from those who watched. I was watching the men's game, but home to see the women v Air Force on Saturday afternoon.

What position/role did Foremann play. Also, how did Blacksten? Does she have legit perimeter skills?

Foreman was the best shooter and is a scorer, very aggressive and fun to watch. Backstien did some nice things and was better than I thought. I think she made a 3 if I remember right. It is hard to tell because Western St is not exactly Oregon talent wise.

The Buffs build the lead up at halftime to 41-27. The Buffs shooting a blistering 62% from the field in the half, and Hollingshed and Knight are a combined 9-9.

Watched the second half. Lots of good moments for each of the four freshmen, but most impressive was Formann. She is a scorer, as someone stated in a previous post. Today she had 13 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists in 23 minutes. Looks to me like she might make a case for herself as a starter at some point this season.

Blasting Air Force should be expected from any team in the Pac 12. But let's be honest, it really doesn't give an indication that CU will be any better than they have been in recent seasons when it comes to conference play. And this season, with limited non-conference play (3 games) the odds of winning more than loosing aren't very good.

Today they committed 18 turnovers and shot 55.6% from the line. On the flip side they out rebounded AFA 46 - 26 and shot 62% from the floor due to getting a lot of layups.

Next up are the Oregon schools on the road.

Formann is the best player to come to CU in a long time, imo. She is very impressive and her experience with Euro Ball shows.

I sent many tweets today about free throws. There is no excuse for missing so many free throws. None. We all know games can come down to free throws. At this point, if I had to put someone at the line for technicals it would be Mya. She is about the only consistent free throw shooter through two games.

They did not have the defensive let down like they had against Western Colorado, but the starters were mostly on the bench in the 4th quarter. Everybody who was suited up played today. Smith was not suited up according to Corey Lopez and Carol Callan.

I don't think we are any match for the Oregon schools, so we will have to see what happens next weekend.

At least at this point, CU is playing and has avoided covid. The men's team has a positive player and two players who have to quarantine for 14 days. Those protocols mean it won't take much to shut down a basketball team.

I think it is Santa Clara County who implemented new requirements for all levels of athletics. 14 day quarantine, so something will have to give there if games are to be played there in any sport.

I'm happy just to get two games played and get the nerves out.

Back