What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg McDermott

BuffLuke80

Club Member
Club Member
Umm, I doubt you want to use the word "plantation" because you're pissed you lost a game when you have black players on the team. They've been talking about boycotting, I don't blame them a damn bit. That's ridiculous **** to say. If I was on that team, I wouldn't play either.

Holy ****. I had not seen this, and looked it up. The direct quote is way worse than I ever could have imagined. I can't believe the admin hasn't taken any action yet.

"On February 27th, after an emotionally tough loss on the road, I addressed our student-athletes and staff in the postgame locker room and used a terribly inappropriate analogy in making a point about staying together as a team despite the loss," McDermott said in a statement released via Twitter. "Specifically, I said: 'Guys, we got to stick together. We need both feet in. I need everybody to stay on the plantation. I can't have anybody leave the plantation.'

Holy ****. I had not seen this, and looked it up. The direct quote is way worse than I ever could have imagined. I can't believe the admin hasn't taken any action yet.
You obviously have had little/ no exposure to Creighton or their 'fans'.... poseurs all the way around and many also double as Huckster fans (and vice versa) if that helps....

You obviously have had little/ no exposure to Creighton or their 'fans'.... poseurs all the way around and many also double as Huckster fans (and vice versa) if that helps....
I've known guys who attended Creighton Prep and Creighton. HUGE racists. Both schools have had issues for a LOOOOONG time.

In today's environment, an incredibly stupid thing to say. I have long heard the phrase "going off the reservation" as a metaphor, I am guessing he meant it that way, but there is no way you do that today. Things change, and I would doubt I would hear "going off the reservation" from anybody that had any sense about them now.

I am glad I am not a public figure. It must be exhausting to constantly catalog what you say. I try, but if I say something stupid, I would guess less than 5 people hear it, and fortunately, most of my friends/colleagues actually have forgiveness in their repertoire. The world at large has seemingly dispensed with that antiquated notion.

In today's environment, an incredibly stupid thing to say. I have long heard the phrase "going off the reservation" as a metaphor, I am guessing he meant it that way, but there is no way you do that today. Things change, and I would doubt I would hear "going off the reservation" from anybody that had any sense about them now.

I am glad I am not a public figure. It must be exhausting to constantly catalog what you say. I try, but if I say something stupid, I would guess less than 5 people hear it, and fortunately, most of my friends/colleagues actually have forgiveness in their repertoire. The world at large has seemingly dispensed with that antiquated notion.
In that sense, he's not using the phrase right. "Going off the Reservation" means you lost your ****.

Those poor white dudes. Life's tough. He's a victim of society's intolerance for sure.

Context matters, words matter, position matters.

Terms like "going off the reservation," and "stay on the plantation" may have been acceptable and even common when he was younger but as we become more aware of the origin and impact of our words they aren't any more.

If they get casually used in certain settings they can be chalked up to simply not thinking but you hit it when you addressed being a public figure. He is likely the highest paid employee of the university, he is the face of the single most publicly visible element of the university.

Truth is that he isn't paid to coach basketball. There are plenty of highly qualified people out there who would gladly do the coaching part for much less money and could probably do that part of the job as well as he does.

His success on the basketball court is what keeps him employed but what he is paid huge amounts of money for is being that media presence, representing the university to boosters, alumni, potential students (and more than just basketball players,) being a leader of the group of young men who get the schools name in the national media frequently and on national TV more prominently.

He is paid to not say stupid stuff. He is paid to not put the school in a negative light. He is paid to not make this kind of mistake.

It may not seem fair but in our current environment saying that same thing would get many university presidents fired, same with many CEO's, broadcasters, and others who are paid to be public figures.

In the context of our times I wouldn't be surprised nor would I oppose his players choosing to not play for him.

Lefty is really feeling it today. A well paid white coach telling a bunch of young black men to stay on the plantation with him is one step away from communication being limited to nodding and grunting at one another.

When I worked in Durango we did a lot of our wells on Southern Ute land. We had a big meeting with the tribe and the topic of protestors and anti-oil activists came up. One of our foremen, with the grace of a hippopotamus, says "those activists are really off the reservation on some of their stuff." For about 10 seconds after, no one said anything. You could have heard a pin drop. After a few second it dawned on him what he said, and he turned beet red with a deer in the headlights look. Still, no one said anything. And then the meeting moved on.

"Going off the reservation" is something you definitely don't want to say where I live. Well, unless you are looking for a fight.

My parents had a bigelow tea variety pack and one of them was seriously called "plantation mint." I was like wtf? I looked it up and they had since changed the name.

Over by Ignacio by chance? Did you have to get that pass thing to say you could be out there? I know I had to working on rigs over in that area. That was @ J.R. Ewing btw, didn't go through the first time.

Over by Ignacio by chance? Did you have to get that pass thing to say you could be out there? I know I had to working on rigs over in that area. That was @ J.R. Ewing btw, didn't go through the first time.
Our office was by the airport. I didn’t venture down onto Ute lands much personally

Our office was by the airport. I didn’t venture down onto Ute lands much personally
Gotcha. I didn't care that they monitored everything, I was just there to do my job. Whatever deal was made, I wasn't privy to. We were definitely watched, no doubt.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I was managing a group of people, let alone a group that was majority AA... and if I could think of a scenario where I told them they needed to follow my vision and not go off the plantation.

Not just no, but hell no.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I was managing a group of people, let alone a group that was majority AA... and if I could think of a scenario where I told them they needed to follow my vision and not go off the plantation.

Not just no, but hell no.
Did he coach yesterday, pretty sure I saw highlights from their game before I left? I didn't see him.

Lefty is really feeling it today. A well paid white coach telling a bunch of young black men to stay on the plantation with him is one step away from communication being limited to nodding and grunting at one another.
*grunts and nods in agreement*

Did he coach yesterday, pretty sure I saw highlights from their game before I left? I didn't see him.
Didn't see anything about him not coaching. Apparently he offered to step down.

https://www.aol.com/greg-mcdermott-says-offered-step-230213152.html

This isn't, nor should it be, the kind of thing that goes away easily.

I don't feel bad for him, he is the one who said something that should never be said. Feel bad for the players who not only have to deal with hearing this from a coach that they put their trust and respect into and who believed he respected them, they also have to deal with having this kind of attention and disruption to a season in which they have worked very hard to build a good season.

If there's anything in this closet at all, Greg's in a bad spot. I honestly don't know what should happen here, but I feel like it should be up to his team.

If there's anything in this closet at all, Greg's in a bad spot. I honestly don't know what should happen here, but I feel like it should be up to his team.

And if there's not, an apology should have been enough.

Not sure what to think here. Could be an overreaction. Could be that he's an asshole finally getting what he deserves.

And if there's not, an apology should have been enough.

Not sure what to think here. Could be an overreaction. Could be that he's an asshole finally getting what he deserves.
I think taking the time to ensure there's nothing else there is the right thing to do. I agree nothing else being there means he's back with the apology.

Umm, I doubt you want to use the word "plantation" because you're pissed you lost a game when you have black players on the team. They've been talking about boycotting, I don't blame them a damn bit. That's ridiculous **** to say. If I was on that team, I wouldn't play either.

"Cancel culture."

That's the new Fox News right wing favorite new buzz phrase, isn't it?

I hate the idea of somebody losing his job because of something he said. But damn, dude. Of all the words he could have chosen that would convey the same basic idea, he chose “plantation”. Twice. ooof.

Back