What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Schiano - AHC/DC Ohio State University

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
636422702566370131-schiano100.jpg

Organization: Ohio State University

Current Position: AHC / Defensive Coordinator

Former Positions:
1988Ramapo HS (NJ) (assistant)
1989Rutgers (GA)
1990Penn State (GA)
1991–1995Penn State (DB)
1996–1997Chicago Bears (defensive assistant)
1998Chicago Bears (DB)
1999–2000Miami (FL) (DC)
2001–2011Rutgers
2012–2013Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2016–presentOhio State (associate HC / DC)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record and Awards:
Overall68–67 (college)
11–21 (NFL)
Bowls5–1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Notable Recruits:
Nicholas Petit-Frere - OT (5*)
Luke Wypler - OC (4*)
Matthew Jones - OC (4*)
Josh Proctor - S (4*)
Tyler Friday - DT (4*)
Ronnie Hickman - S (4*)
Lejond Cavazos - S (4*)
Javontae Jean-Baptiste - OLB (4*)

Coaching Notes:

Twitter conversation just now has me very intrigued about Schiano. He really does seem to check a lot of the boxes we think RG is looking for.

Biggest question is his network in our footprint, but the dude has always been a great recruiter.

Nobody except Jon Gruden can win in Tampa. I won't hold that against him. There's a lot of history of college coaches who lose in the NFL.

Just googled his name... From what I'm reading... OSU fans would be happy if we took him off their hands. Very happy.

Nobody except Jon Gruden can win in Tampa. I won't hold that against him. There's a lot of history of college coaches who lose in the NFL.

Tony Dungy? Hard pass on this. I'm not interested in him or Ryan Day. Wouldn't touch anything associated with Urban Meyer with a 39 1/2 foot pole. He's toxic.

This is really the first coach I've seen that makes sense. I could get behind this.

What does recruiting look like with him at CU?
Hard to imagine that Schiano wouldn't recruit Florida and New Jersey. But his recruits have been national with tOSU. One thing I'm sure of is that we'd be aggressive as hell on the recruiting trail. iirc, when he was at Rutgers he put up billboards all over Dade/Broward and even paid for airtime to have a coach's show on local tv to get more exposure for his program. I'm pretty sure a lot of that is against the rules now, but it wasn't then and he took advantage.

Hard to imagine that Schiano wouldn't recruit Florida and New Jersey. But his recruits have been national with tOSU. One thing I'm sure of is that we'd be aggressive as hell on the recruiting trail. iirc, when he was at Rutgers he put up billboards all over Dade/Broward and even paid for airtime to have a coach's show on local tv to get more exposure for his program. I'm pretty sure a lot of that is against the rules now, but it wasn't then and he took advantage.

Which is fine to an extent, but we know that cannot be the recruiting base.

Tony Dungy? Hard pass on this. I'm not interested in him or Ryan Day. Wouldn't touch anything associated with Urban Meyer with a 39 1/2 foot pole. He's toxic.
But you are saying you WOULD touch Urban Meyer with your 6” pole??

Does he have more off the field problems besides the alleged Sandusky stuff?
None that I ever heard of. I think there was something when he was in the NFL about breaking the unwritten sportsmanship rule by having his defense attack during a kneel down at the end of a game or something. Can't recall anything else negative.

What’s the explanation for why his defense is struggling so much this year? Don’t follow their program so I really don’t know if there is some good explanation for that.

What’s the explanation for why his defense is struggling so much this year? Don’t follow their program so I really don’t know if there is some good explanation for that.
I don't know. Lots of other things changed from last season with the staff, Urban, offense system, etc. Schiano seems like a constant, so you'd have to think the problem is with one or more of the variables rather than him. That's the way I look at it and what makes sense to me, at least.

They weren’t able to effectively replace Nick Bosa, arguably the best defensive player in the country.

Plus we’re looking for a HC, not a DC (yet). He’s been a very good HC so I’m not as concerned with his defense this year and they are 10-1.

Plus we’re looking for a HC, not a DC (yet). He’s been a very good HC so I’m not as concerned with his defense this year and they are 10-1.

Dad Pants is going to make them look foolish on Saturday-still not touching either him or Ryan Day.

In my opinion the most qualified person for the job is OSU DC Greg Schiano. I know this name could make some of you skittish, but let me delve into why he is a great choice.

1) Proven experience as a head coach
Fans might want to point to a 68-67 overall record at Rutgers, but I went to Rutgers before moving out to Boulder. What Schiano did there was a miracle. It takes time to build up one of the worst programs ever. In his last 7 years there, Schiano went 56-33 and went 5-1 in bowl games. The 3 years after they left Rutgers went to 3 more bowl games. 9 of the 10 bowl games in the schools 100+ years of football history came from Schiano’s players. He is a proven program builder.

2) Ability to put together a great staff
Schiano will be able to pluck coaches from his days in the NFL, his time at Ohio State and his Rutgers days to put together a top notch staff. He would likely hire some coaches who are familiar with the region to help hit the ground running right away.

3) Ability to recruit
Some of you might be concerned with his recruiting ability, but Schiano was ranked last year by ESPN as the #1 recruiting assistant in all of CFP. Schiano has always been known as an elite recruiter who can recruit nationally. He might be the only coach on the market who could expand our recruiting base and allow us to compete more on a national level.

4) Ability to develop
Schiano put a ton of players from Rutgers to the NFL. He has had a bunch of high first round draft picks in his short time at OSU, including Lattimore, Denzel Ward, Hooker, Conley and soon to be top pick Nick Bosa.

5) Defensive Mind
Yes, OSU has struggled this year, but they have had 12 guys to go the NFL, most early. They lost the best defensive player in CFB in Bosa. His history and track record as a defensive coach is proven.

6) Can do A lot with a little
This job is not a top tier level job, so a coach here will have to do more with less. Based on his time at Rutgers, Schinao has proven that.

7) Addressing the UT situation
I know some might be scared off, but there is absolutely zero evidence or proof Schiano did any wrong doing. Tom Bradley said under oath Schiano did not see anything and he denied it, too. Let’s be honest, Tennessee fans did not want him because his last name wasn’t Gruden. They didn’t think he was a good enough coach, so they used that because they knew that was the only way to nix that deal.
Colorado has a unique opportunity to get a guy who should have had a very good SEC job. When does that ever happen? Based on qualifications alone, he is the best coach on the market. Based on what AD Rick George wants, Schiano fits the mold. It’s a great fit!

Back