What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hotel help for A&M game?

bufffbdad

Hello everyone,
My son will be a freshman on the football team this upcoming season so we are completely new to the area and everything that goes with the gamday experience. Does anyone have recommendations for where to stay in Denver for the Texas A&M game? In looking online it seems there are tons of options in Downtown Denver near to the convention center which is close to the stadium. Would this be the right area to be looking?

Also, does anyone happen to know if there is a Facebook page or other type of group for football families?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello everyone,
My son will be a freshman on the football team this upcoming season so we are completely new to the area and everything that goes with the gamday experience. Does anyone have recommendations for where to stay in Denver for the Texas A&M game? In looking online it seems there are tons of options in Downtown Denver near to the convention center which is close to the stadium. Would this be the right area to be looking?

Also, does anyone happen to know if there is a Facebook page or other type of group for football families?

Hi

Others can be of much more assistance than I can but welcome to our board.

Staying in Downtown will put you close to a lot of good dining and things to do.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Hello everyone,

Welcome!

As you said, there are tons of options. Springhill Suites is probably the closest at 1.1 miles away, but within another half mile, there are endless hotel options. Hotel Teatro and the Brown Palace probably have the most character, plus every chain option you can think of.

Getting something within a block of the 16th Street Mall gets you in a position where the free bus that runs every few minutes can take you from Union Station on the NW side to the Civic Center on the SE side. That could be super helpful for a long weekend and multiple activities.

Hello everyone,

Welcome! @svdbuff might be able to help with the bolded.

Welcome,
Can’t go wrong downtown. I would suggest someplace near Union Station, this eliminates the need for a car rental as you can get a train to/from the airport and to/from the Stadium. But if the plan is to visit Boulder too a rental car or Uber would be required.

I don’t suggest convention center and 16th street mall area, it is an isolated section of downtown, it’s the place where people work, not a social environment.

There are much better restaurants near Union Starion. Also Union Station is closer to the RiNo neighborhood (north of the Baseball stadium) which is a social spot of restaurants, eateries, breweries and shops.

These are not a party areas, Union Station and RiNo are definitely a family friendly locations.

Last edited:
When I was a corporate schmuck, working in downtown Denver and living in Boulder, I sometimes grabbed a hotel in Downtown Denver to work late at the office and get to work early.

Here's the deal. They're all the same. I've stayed in every hotel down by the Convention Center, and they're all fine. Good even.

However, if there was one that stood out in downtown that I enjoyed a touch more, it would be one up by the Millennial Bridge/Coors Field/Union Station area. I was rather fond of the Hotel Indigo. And I liked the restaurant and bar there as well

Disclaimer: I quit my corporate life and haven't been to Denver (leaving the Boulder bubble can be scary) in a year, so as far as I know it's all changed. But as of a year or so ago, I liked the Hotel Indigo.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

What kind of budget? The nicest hotels in Denver and some of the not so nicest are within a 3 mile radius of Mile High.

There are three relatively new hotels right off I-25 and Speer Blvd (Residence Inn, Hampton Inn, and a Fairfield). All three are reasonable walking distances to Mile High Stadium (about 1 mile), and also puts you right in the mix of “LoHi” (Lower Highlands) where there are some good restaurants and breweries. You can also use the pedestrian bridge that goes over I-25 into Union Station area, and take the free Mall Ride up and down 16th street.

Staying at any of the hotels directly downtown probably requires an Uber or shuttle to the stadium but are closer to more bars/restaurants. IMO, It all depends on what you’re looking to do aside from the game. If you want to explore Denver, the downtown options are better. If you’re in for the game and then out the next day, the ones in the first paragraph are probably the better option.

Hello everyone,

Couldn't go wrong with Westin Tabor Center. Take the free Mall Ride to Union Station (maybe 5 minutes), though it's an easy walk too. Jump on the light rail to the stadium stop (another 5 minutes).

When I was a corporate schmuck, working in downtown Denver and living in Boulder, I sometimes grabbed a hotel in Downtown Denver to work late at the office and get to work early.

Here's the deal. They're all the same. I've stayed in every hotel down by the Convention Center, and they're all fine. Good even.

However, if there was one that stood out in downtown that I enjoyed a touch more, it would be one up by the Millennial Bridge/Coors Field/Union Station area. I was rather fond of the Hotel Indigo. And I liked the restaurant and bar there as well

Disclaimer: I quit my corporate life and haven't been to Denver (leaving the Boulder bubble can be scary) in a year, so as far as I know it's all changed. But as of a year or so ago, I liked the Hotel Indigo.
Hotel Indigo is excellent!!

Hi

Others can be of much more assistance than I can but welcome to our board.

Staying in Downtown will put you close to a lot of good dining and things to do.

Hope you have a great weekend.
What kind of budget? The nicest hotels in Denver and some of the not so nicest are within a 3 mile radius of Mile High.
We aren't looking for the Ritz Carlton but we'll probably go above the Holiday Inn Express if that makes sense. All of the replies have been very helpful, thank you!

No. The AD can’t nor should make any travel assumptions for families. The Buffs travel to many cities and would have over 1000 athlete family members to consider.

Asking the local network is how to avoid eating at the Cheesecake Factory.

Last edited:
No. The AD can’t nor should make any travel assumptions for families. The Buffs travel to many cities and would have over 1000 athlete family members to consider.

Asking the local network is how to avoid eating at the Cheesecake Factory.
ok. I know it's different at VT and Wisconsin. Just pinged a friend whose son plays football at UW -- he said family travel is organized (suggested, not required) by a group, but that is not officially associated with the AD. I don't know any current VT players to confirm how it works there though.

I would suggest staying around cherry creek. Lots of good restaurants and stuff to do on non game days and a quick uber to the stadium for pregame activities.

I would suggest staying around cherry creek. Lots of good restaurants and stuff to do on non game days and a quick uber to the stadium for pregame activities.
I live right there - if the focus is the game I would not suggest this, it is going to take 20-30 minutes to get to MileHigh from CC. There are decent hotels and workable restaurants for sure in CC. It is cleaner than downtown proper for sure if you want to do a bunch of walking around.

That said my recommendation would be to stay in the Union station Neighborhood, specifically the Crawford if you want an experience (if that is too pricey there are other options that have been suggested in this thread). The Crawford puts you in Union Station and a quick jaunt to the stadium. Westin is workable and you know what you'll get. Same with the Ritz. Hotel Theatro is nice if you don't want to go the mega-chain route.

I live right there - if the focus is the game I would not suggest this, it is going to take 20-30 minutes to get to MileHigh from CC. There are decent hotels and workable restaurants for sure in CC. It is cleaner than downtown proper for sure if you want to do a bunch of walking around.

That said my recommendation would be to stay in the Union station Neighborhood, specifically the Crawford if you want an experience (if that is too pricey there are other options that have been suggested in this thread). The Crawford puts you in Union Station and a quick jaunt to the stadium. Westin is workable and you know what you'll get. Same with the Ritz. Hotel Theatro is nice if you don't want to go the mega-chain route.
Why would it take 20-30 minutes to get there? Get there about 4 hours early for tailgating and it would be about a 10 minute drive/uber to the stadium. Can also get dropped off at Pepsi and walk under the bridge.

We aren't looking for the Ritz Carlton but we'll probably go above the Holiday Inn Express if that makes sense. All of the replies have been very helpful, thank you!
I’d honestly just use your favorite hotel search engine and look for hotels within 3-5 miles of 80204. You can see some good options for your budget.

Oxford, teatro, Crawford, ramble are all nice and in good locations. The art hotel is pretty cool as well.

I've walked to downtown/16th st plenty of times from mile high, it's about 2 miles. Getting out of there via car or Uber can be a nightmare. Plus there's plenty of pedicabs.

If I read Bryan McGinnis' response to me correctly, he has the original poster now on his email distribution list. Apparently he sends one bulk email at the start of the season with hotel options for each game and then updates on event logistics when it is much closer to kickoff.

I was actually the second one to notify him. The first was another Buff dad who saw the post.

I've always found CU staffers responsive to these kinds of situations. They can't fix what they aren't aware of in the first place.

ok. I know it's different at VT and Wisconsin. Just pinged a friend whose son plays football at UW -- he said family travel is organized (suggested, not required) by a group, but that is not officially associated with the AD. I don't know any current VT players to confirm how it works there though.
He said his son was a freshman, so probably not on campus yet. I am sure that information will go out eventually

Oxford, teatro, Crawford, ramble are all nice and in good locations. The art hotel is pretty cool as well.

I've walked to downtown/16th st plenty of times from mile high, it's about 2 miles. Getting out of there via car or Uber can be a nightmare. Plus there's plenty of pedicabs.
The first time I was ever in CO, was for my wife’s cousin’s wedding in November of 2006. The reception was at the Oxford. It was a great hotel, and loved the fact you could walk across the street to the train station and ride back to the Lone Tree area. It was that trip that made me realize that driving from Omaha to Denver for a couple days, then driving back was not fun. My subsequent trips have been flying (if only staying a couple nights), or making a 4+ day trip of it.

Why would it take 20-30 minutes to get there? Get there about 4 hours early for tailgating and it would be about a 10 minute drive/uber to the stadium. Can also get dropped off at Pepsi and walk under the bridge.

Because it takes 15 minutes to drive from the Halcyon Hotel to Mile-High (lots of lights on Speer, no good way to make time, you might catch all the lights and make it in 12 - but statistically that's unlikely). And that's without game traffic around the stadium, which depending on your arrival time could ad reasonably 5-15 minutes.

It is roughly the same drive to get to Pepsi center, and then you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the Stadium.

In both those cases to you have to deal with the hassle of actually getting the Uber after the game - who knows what the crowds will look like this year with covids etc - but in past years when I've been to the game or the NCAA tourney, or Nuggets games, it is a bit of a hassle unless you walk a decent distance from the stadium (at which point you are basically in Lodo).

That said if you do stay in Cherry Creek look at: The Halcyon, JW Marriot, Jacquard, or Moxie. Food-wise it is pretty easy to land in a very good spot in cherry creek although excellent or unique is a bit tougher.

Happy to get deep into the food stuff when the thread warrants it.

Last edited:

Oxford is another good one - Historical property and generally decent on the price front.

Because it takes 15 minutes to drive from the Halcyon Hotel to Mile-High (lots of lights on Speer, no good way to make time, you might catch all the lights and make it in 12 - but statistically that's unlikely). And that's without game traffic around the stadium, which depending on your arrival time could ad reasonably 5-15 minutes.

It is roughly the same drive to get to Pepsi center, and then you have to walk 15 minutes to get to the Stadium.

In both those cases to you have to deal with the hassle of actually getting the Uber after the game - who knows what the crowds will look like this year with covids etc - but in past years when I've been to the game or the NCAA tourney, or Nuggets games, it is a bit of a hassle unless you walk a decent distance from the stadium (at which point you are basically in Lodo).

That said if you do stay in Cherry Creek look at: The Halcyon, JW Marriot, Jacquard, or Moxie. Food-wise it is pretty easy to land in a very good spot in cherry creek although excellent or unique is a bit tougher.

Happy to get deep into the food stuff when the thread warrants it.
Well I have been to a ton of Broncos games and you seem to be exaggerating this whole situation quite a bit. It’s pretty easy to get an Uber after the game if you walk over by Pepsi center and out of the uber line they provide at the stadium. A 15 minute walk is pretty standard for getting To a stadium if you don’t have access to the main parking lots. You also don’t have to take Speer to the Pepsi center, you can take 25 and get there pretty quickly. Either way, cherry creek is a pretty awesome place to spend the weekend and is in a good spot for exploring the city.

The first time I was ever in CO, was for my wife’s cousin’s wedding in November of 2006. The reception was at the Oxford. It was a great hotel, and loved the fact you could walk across the street to the train station and ride back to the Lone Tree area. It was that trip that made me realize that driving from Omaha to Denver for a couple days, then driving back was not fun. My subsequent trips have been flying (if only staying a couple nights), or making a 4+ day trip of it.
Probably the ugliest part of the whole Chicago-San Francisco route so probably why they schedule if for overnight but have you ever taken Amtrack from Omaha to Denver and back. Take you right to Union Station where you could then take light rail to Lone Tree.

I enjoy travelling by train and this lets you skip the airports.

Back