What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If Sark or Calhoun, does this mean there is a major division within the AD/CU?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
The 2 candidates could not be more different.

Calhoun is a good football coach. Bad with the media. Hasn't done well running any offense other than triple option (look at the horrible offense when he was in the NFL - 10 games with total offense under 300 yards). Hasn't ever recruited the type of players CU would need to and has no juice to do so. But he's rock steady, gets the most out the talent he has, and would probably die at his desk at CU if he was hired.

Sark is a good football coach. Charismatic with media and as a recruiter. Known as one of the best offensive minds in college football for almost 2 decades. Quickly turned an 0-12 Washington into an annual bowl team stocked with talent. Has an unmatched track record with recruiting and developing quarterbacks. But didn't leave UW in the best way for USC and then personal problems caused a train wreck of his career at USC. Since then has rebuilt himself at Alabama and delivered one of the best offenses in the country while bringing in elite SoCal talent. He's a splashy risk with tremendous upside and downside, would stock the cupboard with talent but could leave for another job quickly or have a relapse and need to be removed.

I don't see how one hiring manager would land at these guys as his final 2 candidates for the job. There's contrast and then there's this. It would be like going to a restaurant and saying you couldn't decide between the plain oatmeal and the atomic hot wings. I'm having trouble believing, if these are actually our final 2, that it's not 2 camps at CU instead of a unified search.

Calhoun is a good football coach. Bad with the media. Hasn't done well running any offense other than triple option (look at the horrible offense when he was in the NFL - 10 games with total offense under 300 yards). Hasn't ever recruited the type of players CU would need to and has no juice to do so. But he's rock steady, gets the most out the talent he has, and would probably die at his desk at CU if he was hired.

Sark is a good football coach. Charismatic with media and as a recruiter. Known as one of the best offensive minds in college football for almost 2 decades. Quickly turned an 0-12 Washington into an annual bowl team stocked with talent. Has an unmatched track record with recruiting and developing quarterbacks. But didn't leave UW in the best way for USC and then personal problems caused a train wreck of his career at USC. Since then has rebuilt himself at Alabama and delivered one of the best offenses in the country while bringing in elite SoCal talent. He's a splashy risk with tremendous upside and downside, would stock the cupboard with talent but could leave for another job quickly or have a relapse and need to be removed.

I don't see how one hiring manager would land at these guys as his final 2 candidates for the job. There's contrast and then there's this. It would be like going to a restaurant and saying you couldn't decide between the plain oatmeal and the atomic hot wings. I'm having trouble believing, if these are actually our final 2, that it's not 2 camps at CU instead of a unified search.

Makes sense because I have a hard time believing that this administration would be on board with Sark.

so, if it is calhoun, would he bring the option offense with him? don't you run the option when you have less talent to throw the other team off balance? he will have more talent at CU then AF. so maybe he tries to run a more traditional offense? but running a traditional offense is something he isn't used to. so isn't that an issue as well?

hoping it's Sark

so, if it is calhoun, would he bring the option offense with him? don't you run the option when you have less talent to throw the other team off balance? he will have more talent at CU then AF. so maybe he tries to run a more traditional offense? but running a traditional offense is something he isn't used to. so isn't that an issue as well?

hoping it's Sark
Calhoun ran the West Coast offense in his previous stops as OC. He isn't bringing the option to CU if he is the coach.

You have to think the "2-man search committee" would center on Sark. If the admin shoves Calhoun down their throats, well, what good can come of that?

I think it’s Sark and TC is just a bargaining chip to keep costs and contracts reasonable. I honestly couldn’t see them hiring TC over DC, and I don’t want DC (yet).

Just like Tucker used the media events to show “I’m serious about CU, pay up or else!” to MSU, CU is probably using Calhoun and BB to show “We have options” during negotiations. And to be fair, Calhoun is probably using CU as a “Ive got options, better give me/recruiting budget a raise if you want to keep me” in return. I can’t fathom in a world where George wants to win Championships and values high level recruiting that Troy Calhoun would be a top 25 choice. Grinch and Avolos would be far more inspired choices. Can’t imagine that they wouldn’t want a PAC 12 HC job here. So if they are not being talked about, it seems it’s Sark or bust IMO.

What I wouldn't get in that case is why it would go so far. Isn't it just LC and RG doing the selection? Why would they bring both guys along this far just to then turn to the administration and say, "okay, pick!"

Or have we been reading this wrong all along, and all of the other interviews have been "due diligence" while the plan has to go with the ****ty "safe" hire all along?

If these are the final two candidates, I think so.

To me, Calhoun signals they’ve given up resurrecting the program to a place where it competes for championships. And that they just want to be the Northwestern of the PAC 12. Getting to a bowl game and occasionally upsetting a blue blood program is the ceiling and success because everyone knows it’s not possible for them to be a serious competitor for a national championship.

Going with Sark would be swinging for the fences and means you believe CU can beat out USC and UCLA for elite California talent and still want to compete at the highest levels with the big boys.

Either they’re delusional or they’re divided about how to move forward after Mr. Integrity did them so dirty.

I completely agree with what you're saying but I could definitely see this administration being too chicken **** to hire a coach with even a remotely questionable background.
My statement wasn’t against your statement specifically, but to all the people saying that.

Rick is in charge. Rick and Lance are not passive. No way Rick makes this hire. If he does, and if admin in any way made him do it, he would be gone in weeks. Hell, I doubt he would do it at all. Would rather quit than give up. Not Ricks style at all.

I think Calhoun is the safe pick that won’t generate any backlash from Regents or staff. Sark is the sexy pick with a ton of upside but will likely face some headwinds from within the administration.
You hire Calhoun and *hope* he wins. You hire Sark and *expect* him to win.

I think Calhoun is the safe pick that won’t generate any backlash from Regents or staff. Sark is the sexy pick with a ton of upside but will likely face some headwinds from within the administration.
You hire Calhoun and *hope* he wins. You hire Sark and *expect* him to win.
If EB was a candidate then there should be no issues what so ever with Sark having an alcohol issue.

I think Calhoun actively pursuing the job changes the narrative in the OP. Could be our hiring manager places a lot of importance on the interview. By all accounts, Calhoun is an impressive and meticulous leader. If, for whatever reason (ego, challenge, money), he decided he wanted to leave AF and move up to P5 football, it wouldn't be on a whim. He would have a complete plan of how to do that and win. Being an AF veteran, he would also have a plan for how to present his plan to win in P5 football. He could've impressed RG so much in the interview that he gave himself a shot.

All that being said, RG impresses me as a man who considers all the evidence and won't be blown away by an incredible interview. As most have noted, there are enough questions about Calhoun's ability to do what needs to be done to win at CU that Sark, strangely, appears to be the safer choice.

Also, it's possible Sark was ****faced during his interview . . .

I've got no love for the CU admin, and have no doubt that they would screw up this search if given the chance, but would be very surprised if they had any authority to override RG/LC on this one. As others have said, RG is in charge.

Calhoun and Sark can’t be the two finalists, they just can’t. I said something similar to the OP in another thread for the same reasons.

Honestly I think Calhoun is being used as a stalking horse in this process - a well respected coach the local media will slob who can help keep pressure on the top candidate. I believe that candidate is Sark and if we can’t get to a deal with him then our fallback is likely Chev. He’d be an easier fallback to get behind if your a fan or booster than someone like Bielema.

RG values recruiting too much to be seriously considering Calhoun IMO.

I think Calhoun actively pursuing the job changes the narrative in the OP. Could be our hiring manager places a lot of importance on the interview. By all accounts, Calhoun is an impressive and meticulous leader. If, for whatever reason (ego, challenge, money), he decided he wanted to leave AF and move up to P5 football, it wouldn't be on a whim. He would have a complete plan of how to do that and win. Being an AF veteran, he would also have a plan for how to present his plan to win in P5 football. He could've impressed RG so much in the interview that he gave himself a shot.

All that being said, RG impresses me as a man who considers all the evidence and won't be blown away by an incredible interview. As most have noted, there are enough questions about Calhoun's ability to do what needs to be done to win at CU that Sark, strangely, appears to be the safer choice.

Also, it's possible Sark was ****faced during his interview . . .
You can have the greatest plan in the world but the odds of a guy like Calhoun being able to execute that plan are a lot lower than Sark's, imo. And maybe it is just me but way too many people fall for the bull**** in interviews so I hope RG and LC did their homework.

You can have the greatest plan in the world but the odds of a guy like Calhoun being able to execute that plan are a lot lower than Sark's, imo. And maybe it is just me but way too many people fall for the bull**** in interviews so I hope RG and LC did their homework.

Thank you, Mike Tyson.

If EB was a candidate then there should be no issues what so ever with Sark having an alcohol issue.
I’m not arguing that. EB never got to the vetting process, so that’s not something we could ever know anyway.
Point being, we will know a lot about how RG approaches things by seeing which guy he hires. I don’t think he’s usually a play-it-safe kind of AD, but we don’t know what kind of feedback he is getting behind the scenes, either.

No, it means its near last call.

Many here talk like there are a lot of choices that CU get to make, and it's all our decisions on how this ends up. The candidates have choices too. You might get a Calhoun because it's our only choice. From a negotiating point of view "you get to look at the flatirons" only goes so far a few weeks from Spring ball.

Back