What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim McElwain - Head Coach CMU

giphy.gif

If he is the guy, count me as being underwhelmed. Not because I think he is a bad coach....I actually think he's an excellent coach. I think he is a doofus and I can't stand looking at him.

are we all just mad that he's the only CSU coach with a winning record against CU?

Ode to Sparkles

Hottie shark, do do do do do. Hottie Shark!

Trouser shark, do do do do do. Trouser Shark!

Doggie shark, do do do do do. Doggie Shark!

Back door Shark do do do do do. Back door shark!

(h/t Thanks, Smokey)

Here's the other thing, aside from the crap recruiting in the Florida hot bed while coach at the flagship, that makes no sense to me in why RG would go after him.
He had that Woody Hayes type incident on the sideline where he dragged the kid around by the facemask while chewing his ass a new one - can't imagine for a second that RG would be able to get that past CU's athletics-hating BoR.

Maybe the news around this candidate is meant to make us feel more accepting of either EB or DC?

Here's the other thing, aside from the crap recruiting in the Florida hot bed while coach at the flagship, that makes no sense to me in why RG would go after him.
He had that Woody Hayes type incident on the sideline where he dragged the kid around by the facemask while chewing his ass a new one - can't imagine for a second that RG would be able to get that past CU's athletics-hating BoR.

I don't want him at CU but Florida recruiting was not horrible while he was there. According to 247 his first year 2015 they were 10th in SEC but that was 21st nationally and that was after losing players with Muschamp being fired. In 2016 they were 6th in the SEC but 12th nationally.

Won at CSU - couldn't recruit enough to win at Florida.
I recently read that it wasn't necessarily true. The Athletic recently went back and re-ranked the 2016 class. They re-ranked Florida's class (McElwain's first)
from #12 to #3 (behind only Clemson and Alabama) based on what that class actually did, and how they developed.

The top two classes in this revised ranking were extremely predictable. But the No. 3 spot? Here’s a little bit of a surprise. The first full recruiting class of the Jim McElwain era ended up being way more productive than expected.

In hindsight, maybe this ranking does kind of make sense? Dan Mullen inherited a group with a lot of potential and found immediate success, winning 21 games in their first two years together. The 2017 season was an abject disaster, no question, but this class played an important role in helping get the Gators back on track. This class hasn’t had any All-Americans but did produce 16 future starters, three of whom — Taylor, Polite and Gardner-Johnson — were drafted in 2019.

2017 was all downhill for McElwain. Not sure what happened, but that remains a giant red flag and I'm certainly no fan.

Didn't he take a bunch of high risk guys and jucos at Ft Fun? Which can work for a year or two, but then things tend to go south quickly.

And I don't think that strategy can work even for a year or two at CU.

There are no shortcuts to good recruiting at CU - coaches who have taken shortcuts in the past tend to get exposed when they come here.

Surely RG knows this.

Surely.

Back