What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell - WR coach Miami Dolphins

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member

As coach:

Welp, as far as ex-UCLA coaches go we’ve already tried one and I prefer Dorrell to Mora.

Nothing about this hire says "okay" there are literally no positives here. Awful recruiter, UCLA fans didn't like him, and he's old. I can;t find a silver lining at all and I'm wondering wtf RG and LC are thinking. I'd rather Chev/Calhoun/Mora even Bert over him.

Roll Tad

Completely depends on his staff. If we trust that RG is putting an emphasis on recruiting, have yo imagine they have a plan

Nothing about this hire says "okay" there are literally no positives here. Awful recruiter, UCLA fans didn't like him, and he's old. I can;t find a silver lining at all and I'm wondering wtf RG and LC are thinking. I'd rather Chev/Calhoun/Mora even Bert over him.

Roll Tad
He’s younger than Mora and had a similar winning percentage as HC. I don’t think you really know what you’re talking about.

Edit: Also better conference winning percentage than Mora and made a Bowl game every season.

My initial reaction is that I don’t see how he’s preferable to Mora. Mora seemed to do a better job at UCLA in most aspects.

I think there was a point when KD was a rising star in coaching. That moment came and went. If this rumor is true, my confidence level in Colorado Football is like the late stage of a jenga game...

My thoughts...

Maybe bring in Dorrell to groom Chiaverini as he was his OC/WR coach at CU? Give Chiv another shot again as OC and keep the terminology. Bring in Cable as OL coach which he was very good at. Keep Summers to keep the D the same? I am just throwing darts to see what sticks... who knows. I trust RG.

I remember when he was here before everyone thought he was the next hot young HC. He flamed out at UCLA. I forgot about him and so did everyone else. Has been out of college game for over a decade. No even a coordinator. This sounds like agent trying to get his name out their

He’s younger than Mora and had a similar winning percentage as HC. I don’t think you really know what you’re talking about.

Edit: Also better conference winning percentage than Mora and made a Bowl game every season.

He had all 6 win seasons except for one 10 win. So a ceiling slightly higher than MikeMac. Mora had four 8+ win seasons and is undoubtedly the better recruiter.

Of all the retreads we were thinking about retreadding, he's at or near the bottom

I guess I am the only one who doesn't think this is terrible. Karl has a ton of contacts in the coaching world and must have put something together to convince Rick and Lance.

What was his recruiting like at UCLA?
According to 247...
2003 = 83.22 avg, 4 4-stars, 11 3-stars
2004 = 81.87 avg, 1 4-star, 17 3-stars
2005 = 85.50 avg, 3 3-stars, 15 3-stars
2006 = 82.70 avg, 1 4-star, 9 3-stars
2007 = 92.08 avg, 4 4-stars, 1 3-star

At. UCLA. 247 had Colorado had higher rated classes than UCLA most years during that time.

Recruiting there was a disaster.

My thoughts...

Maybe bring in Dorrell to groom Chiaverini as he was his OC/WR coach at CU? Give Chiv another shot again as OC and keep the terminology. Bring in Cable as OL coach which he was very good at. Keep Summers to keep the D the same? I am just throwing darts to see what sticks... who knows. I trust RG.
That's exactly what this seems to me as well

I remember when he was here before everyone thought he was the next hot young HC. He flamed out at UCLA. I forgot about him and so did everyone else. Has been out of college game for over a decade. No even a coordinator. This sounds like agent trying to get his name out their

Literally every national reporter, both NFL and college is reporting this as about done. lol

How about we credit Karl Dorrell, the Dolphins’ wide receivers coach who played an important — but until now, unknown — role in the Dolphins’ second-half improvement.

Let’s go back to Nov. 2, the day before the Dolphins’ 26-18 victory against the Jets.

Dorrell had something to say that he thought his team should hear. So during a team meeting, he got in front of the group and inspired a group needing inspiring.

But we won’t tell you about it. Let the people who were in the room do it better than we can.

Guard Evan Boehm: “Karl got up and talked and that was pretty sick.”

Tackle Jesse Davis: “We were 0-and-whatever, and he gave us a speech about how back when he coached here (in 2011) and they were 0-and-whatever and went on a six-game run. We went on a two-game run right after. ... We started turning things around at that point. We started believing in each other.”

Dorrell’s message? Play together, trust the process, trust the coaching, trust one another. It worked eight years ago, when the Dolphins finished the season 6-3 after starting 0-7.

Dorrell’s speech resonated. The next day, a breakthrough. Finally, a win. And then a week later, a road upset over the Colts.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article238746553.html#storylink=cpy

Back