What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Kennedy Leonard!

For anyone who is a women's BB fan how far is the level of play in that league from the WNBA? What is the likelyhood of Kennedy finding her way back into the the US and playing WNBA ball?

For anyone who is a women's BB fan how far is the level of play in that league from the WNBA?

A long way from the WNBA

Russia is supposed to be the #1 league in Europe followed by Italy, Spain with Turkey, France & Germany in the pack behind. English league minor in comparison

WNBL in Australia is probably the #2 league in the world behind the WNBA talent wise

Eastern Europen teams are not bad either. Chucky Jeffrey has made her living mostly playing in those. She has been MVP a few times.

This year she was injured and had surgery. She is rehabbing over there.

Top end of the league is pretty close to Germany. Last couple years, particularly this rear has seen an influx of US players in GB and Western Europe due to COVID. Israeli has a strong league as well, plays a short season. She’s definitely on a tear after a great rookie season in Germany last year. She has played for GB National team so that may play into it as well

Looks like Kennedy needs to get into a league with a bit more competition - seriously. Wonder if she'll get an offer from a WNBA team in the near future?

I really have no idea what skills it takes to make in the WNBA these days, but it's hard to believe she doesn't have many of them.

Last season, 16 of the 36 players drafted got through training camp and made a roster at the beginning of the season. Rookies get cut throughout the season or get 10 day contracts. It's tough to make a team in the WNBA and to actually stick with the team for the entire season unless you are a big star.

Does she get to focus on just basketball in a league like that, or do you think she has to have a side job?

Does she get to focus on just basketball in a league like that, or do you think she has to have a side job?
I do not think she has a side job. I believe she has some sort of family support structure over the pond. While I am speculating, I think that down the road, she will go into coaching. As I recall, when she was injured she watched how the coaches coached the players and seemed to be interested in coaching as a career.

If I understand the WNBA, the players need to play almost year round here and overseas to make ends meet or to obtain a salary fitting a professional basketball player.

In Kennedy Leonard's case, its great to see someone who is living their dream regardless of where and with whom.

I would imagine she works. A search shows that comparable Euro women's leagues pay like 40,000 a year. That's not so much if you're living in London.

I would imagine she works. A search shows that comparable Euro women's leagues pay like 40,000 a year. That's not so much if you're living in London.
She could make that as a waitress in London. But, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's set up so she's got very few living expenses.

I don't know how the UK league works, but most women's basketball players who hoop overseas, are provided with an apartment and a car. They practice twice a day and make appearances for the sponsor. They have a game on Saturday. Sunday is their day off.

Sabrina Scott said you had to watch what kind of place they gave you to live because they would try to give you a dump. She said a good agent was a must to watch out for you as often the US players can't talk directly to the team because of the language.

If Leonard is getting an apartment, I don't know if she would be provided with a car in the UK, especially if she is in London. Most of my friends who living in London don't own a car. They depend on the tube, buses and walking.

My guess is she is getting at least an apartment. It's doubtful she has time for a job.

That makes sense, and the team is based in Barking, east London which is much more affordable that something more central.

1620360047955.png
I’m assuming she’s doing pretty well. Top player in an up and coming league on a team with US corporate ownership that is looking to play in the Euro League next year. All expenses paid and $60k-$80k for 7 or 8 months work in London, not a bad gig for a 24 year old playing basketball.

If I'm reading the tweets right, looks like Ms. Leonard was named to both the overall and defensive all-league teams.

Congrats to her!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, looks like her team has made the league championship game, with the final coverage scheduled (if I'm getting the time zone differences right) to begin at 7:30 AM MT this Sunday (5/16), with the game hopefully being free on Youtube -

Link to article after the semi-final games -

Preview page for the game (will hopefully also contain things like stats when the game begins.) - http://www.wbbl.org.uk/competitions/?WHurl=/competition/29714/match/1880798/preview?

Youtube coverage has begun for the championship game Ms. Leonard's in, with tipoff scheduled for the top of the hour..

Looks like Ms. Leonard's starting up a new season with her London Lions team, and they've made it through the group stage going 3-0 in their (WBBL) league's Cup competition.. Already a very nice looking stat line for her in her last game per the 2nd tweet below.

(Link to her league's web homepage with more info - http://www.wbbl.org.uk/ .)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, looks like her team played their 1st game ever in "European competition" this past Thursday, and easily defeated the Canary Islands Spanish team (per https://women.hoopsfix.com/2021/dom...ke-major-step-towards-eurocup-regular-season/ ).

Back