What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles - Former HC OSU/LSU/Kansas

Actually, just going from on the field returns, no, Les Miles should never coach again.

The firing for cause is assuming the KU didnt already know about this incident. If thats the case then the AD should be fired for ineptitude.

I would put my money down that they did know about it and this is a saving face measure. Regardless this should be a very expensive separation.

The firing for cause is assuming the KU didnt already know about this incident. If thats the case then the AD should be fired for ineptitude.

I would put my money down that they did know about it and this is a saving face measure. Regardless this should be a very expensive separation.
And the real winners in a situation like this one

The lawyers.

No matter what the final resolution is the legal fees are piling up and will continue to do so.

Most of the rumored candidates are current G5 head coaches

If you are a "hot" coaching prospect do you want to take the Kansas job. That program is such a dark hole that even if you do a great job you are very likely to end up leaving with a losing record and a stalled career.

A young up and coming coach might be better of risking another year at the G5 level and waiting for a real stepping stone, not a block of ice.

If you are a "hot" coaching prospect do you want to take the Kansas job. That program is such a dark hole that even if you do a great job you are very likely to end up leaving with a losing record and a stalled career.

A young up and coming coach might be better of risking another year at the G5 level and waiting for a real stepping stone, not a block of ice.

None of the coaches on that list are terribly hot prospects and a chance to get the head gig at a G5 school is big even if it is KU. Go there and get them to bowl eligibility and that would likely open up other, bigger opportunities.

None of the coaches on that list are terribly hot prospects and a chance to get the head gig at a G5 school is big even if it is KU. Go there and get them to bowl eligibility and that would likely open up other, bigger opportunities.
Understand what you are saying and that is how whoever takes the job has to think but getting Kansas to bowl eligibility is a tough task even if the coach does a great job.

A young up and coming coach might be better of risking another year at the G5 level and waiting for a real stepping stone, not a block of ice.'
You're right. An up and comer is much, much better off waiting for a good opportunity.

KU's best chance is with someone who has a perceived negative. It could be a real negative, like they were a scumbag in a prior job, but they've now "reformed." It could be someone that is "washed up." It could be someone who is simply "too old" for a better program to hire.

Someone like Sunny was for CSU. I don't have a **** load of names because I don't follow coaching quite closely enough, but KU's best options are going to be guys like Bohl at Wyo or Bob Stitt (where is he now anyway?).

Note: I'm not necessarily saying those are "good" options. I'm just saying that it's KU, and well, their best options aren't necessarily good options.

You're right. An up and comer is much, much better off waiting for a good opportunity.

KU's best chance is with someone who has a perceived negative. It could be a real negative, like they were a scumbag in a prior job, but they've now "reformed." It could be someone that is "washed up." It could be someone who is simply "too old" for a better program to hire.

Someone like Sunny was for CSU. I don't have a **** load of names because I don't follow coaching quite closely enough, but KU's best options are going to be guys like Bohl at Wyo or Bob Stitt (where is he now anyway?).

Note: I'm not necessarily saying those are "good" options. I'm just saying that it's KU, and well, their best options aren't necessarily good options.
Jim Leavitt?

Guy has proven he can win and do it in less than ideal situations.

He has also proven to be a bit of a hothead fired from South Florida after hitting a player and lying about it. Been long enough to claim rehabilitation.

Has been a top assistant with excellent success at a number of major programs and shown he can recruit but has also been tough to work with.

He spent time at KSU so he is familiar with the region, desperately wants to get another head coach job and is older than most schools would be willing to look at.

Would he get them to a bowl before the probation started?

Jim Leavitt?

Guy has proven he can win and do it in less than ideal situations.

He has also proven to be a bit of a hothead fired from South Florida after hitting a player and lying about it. Been long enough to claim rehabilitation.

Has been a top assistant with excellent success at a number of major programs and shown he can recruit but has also been tough to work with.

He spent time at KSU so he is familiar with the region, desperately wants to get another head coach job and is older than most schools would be willing to look at.

Would he get them to a bowl before the probation started?
He could be a good option for them.

Again - I'll repeat: I'm not saying Leavitt is a "good option" in a general sense.

But....

It's KU.

Last call was 3 minutes ago, and the lights are about to come up.

I would say KU should grab Willie Fritz. Downside, he is 60, but Les Miles was 67. Fritz wins and runs a weird variant of the option. IMO, he is their best bet.

But since they are KU, they will probably hire some retread they can't afford.

With Long now gone, sounds like they are likely going to go the whole year with Interim Coach, hire an AD, then look at the post-2021 Season to make a hire. Hiring someone right now is not helpful to anyone or any program.

Back