What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #20/21 (AP/ Coaches polls)/ #21 (NET rankings) Men's bball at #59 (NET) ASU (Tempe, Thursday, 1/16, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go Buffs - beat ASU!

Sun Devil roster for Lookalike suggestions
- https://thesundevils.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

A (what I assume is a) preliminary preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/13/...turn-attention-to-weekend-trip-to-desert.aspx

"
BOULDER — Minutes after the Colorado Buffaloes had routed visiting Utah on Sunday afternoon, CU sophomore Evan Battey said it best:

"This is Colorado basketball. It's hard to beat us when we're playing like this."

Indeed, when the Buffs are hitting on all cylinders on both ends of the floor — as they were in their 91-52 win over the Utes — they are as good as anyone in the Pac-12. The Buffs were efficient offensively, outstanding on defense and dominant on the boards.

Now, their challenge will be to take that play on the road this week when they travel to the desert for a 7 p.m. game Thursday at Arizona State (ESPN2) and a 12:30 p.m. game Saturday at Arizona (Fox).

"The way we're going to make up for the Oregon State game is by going on the road and getting some stuff done," Boyle said after Sunday's win. "That opportunity comes on Thursday in Tempe and then we get another shot on Saturday in Tucson. It's a big road trip for us if we want to do what we want to do, which is compete for a conference championship. You have to be able to win on the road to do that and there's no time like the present."

The Buffs have actually faced ASU once already this year, collecting an 81-71 win over the Sun Devils in the season opener in China in a game that did not count in the league standings.

But Arizona State was missing two of its key players in that contest, and Bobby Hurley's team has improved significantly since.

"I think we're a better team than we were in Shanghai but they're a totally different animal than what we saw over there in November," Boyle said. "They're playing well. They beat Oregon State on the road, they gave Oregon all they wanted on the road. They're playing well and they're competitive and they're tough."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:
Game Notes
- Not available yet.

Live video - Game is being shown live on ESPN2. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://www.espn.com/watch/ .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2395&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=745841199144806507 . Game is also broadcast on the radio, typically on 850 AM and 94.1 FM.

Link to link to live stats - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=asu

Just noticed there's another preview out there, mainly concentrating on the point guard battles this week, but also with additional general info on ASU.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/14/...hallenge-against-asu-arizona-star-guards.aspx

"
BOULDER — Every week, it seems, Colorado's McKinley Wright IV is matched against another elite-level point guard.

Two weeks ago in back-to-back games, he faced Oregon's Payton Pritchard, a first team preseason All-Pac-12 pick, and Oregon State's Ethan Thompson, a second-team selection. Last week, it was Utah standouts Rylan Jones and Both Gach.

This week, the storyline stays the same — except for the fact that Wright won't have the comfort of the home court on his side. Colorado hits the road this week for games at Arizona State on Thursday (7 p.m., ESPN2) and Arizona on Saturday (12:30 p.m., Fox), where Wright will face two more preseason first team all-conference players in ASU's Remy Martin and Arizona's Nico Mannion.

It is no doubt a big weekend for the 20th-ranked Buffs (13-3 overall, 2-1 Pac-12) and Wright, of course, is relishing the challenge. He was also a member of the preseason all-conference first team, and there is nothing the CU junior enjoys more than the challenge of squaring off against the best.

Martin is a 6-foot, 170-pounder whose game revolves around his quickness. He leads ASU in scoring at 19.1 points per game (fourth in the Pac-12) and is ninth in the league in assists with 3.94 per game and a 1.34 assist-to-turnover ratio. Wright is averaging 13.6 points and 5.06 assists per game, with a 1.88 assist-to-turnover ratio

In their first meeting this year — a season-opening 81-71 Colorado win in China — Martin finished with 23 points, but he needed a 9-for-20 shooting night to get there. Wright had 17 points on 8-for-16 shooting.

"I have respect for Remy, I know he has respect for me," Wright said. "It's going to be a battle. He's going to try to will his team to a victory as I'm trying to will my team to a road win. It's a perfect opportunity for us to make up for our home loss against Oregon State and this will be a big one for us."

"The thing I like about McKinley is he takes that attitude of, 'Respect everybody fear nobody,' and it's genuine and it's true and it's real," Boyle said. "A lot of guys say 'I respect everybody but I fear nobody' — and they really fear some guys. They don't want to play against them. That's not McKinley. McKinley wants the opportunity to guard Remy Martin and he wants the challenge to guard Nico Mannion or Payton Pritchard or Ethan Thompson. He relishes that and that's what makes him special."

COLEMAN CONNECTION: Thursday's game in Tempe will have just a little more "juice" for CU assistant coach Anthony Coleman, who spent the last three seasons as a member of Hurley's staff at ASU before making the jump to Colorado over the summer.

Thus, it's no coincidence that Coleman is the CU assistant who had the scouting preparation duties for the Sun Devils this week.

"He obviously knows their personnel," Boyle said. "He knows a lot of those kids, he's got good relationships with them and he helped recruit a lot of them. So it's a big game for Anthony. He and Coach Hurley still have a very good relationship … but once the ball gets tipped up, that will go by the wayside. I know this game means something to him and I'm sure those kids want to beat him, and I want him to come back and get a win at their expense."

DIFFERENT DEVILS: While the Buffs can no doubt take with them a little confidence after their early season win over ASU, they also know this will be a different team.

In the season opener, the Sun Devils were without the services of big men Romello White and Taeshon Cherry, both of whom were serving suspensions for violating team rules.

Since then, White has started every game for the 10-6 Sun Devils and is averaging 10.6 points and 9.6 rebounds — second in the Pac-12 behind CU's Tyler Bey (9.75 rpg). Cherry, meanwhile, is averaging 4.9 points and 2.4 rebounds with seven starts since the opener.

"They're completely different," Boyle said. "He (White) is worth 12 points and 10 rebounds more. Adding those guys in the mix makes a big difference."
"

I hate to say this ... but I really think we need this one. And I don't have a good feeling about it.

The refs wanted to make sure no one thought Battey was gonna get better calls after the speculation after last game. Called a foul on him because he didn’t budge when a guy threw his weight.

Back