What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #25 (AP poll)/ #28 (NET rankings) Men's bball hosts #53 (NET) Utah (Boulder, Sunday, 1/12, 4:00 PM MT, ESPNU)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go Buffs - beat Utah!

Ute roster for Lookalike suggestions
- https://utahutes.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

(No preview containing info on Utah I could (easily) find as I write this.)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Media links -
Game Notes
- Not available yet.

Live video - Game is being shown live on ESPNU. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://www.espn.com/watch/ .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2393 or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=744309708697824346 . Game is also broadcast on the radio, typically on 850 AM and 94.1 FM.

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

2019_20_MBB_Headshots_White_LucKrystkowiak.jpg

I decided to be not be too mean to this kid.
1578697890419.jpeg

Preview for the game now available at https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/10/...turn-attention-to-sunday-visit-from-utes.aspx .

"
BOULDER — Learn, get better and move on.

That's been one of the main messages this week from Colorado head coach Tad Boyle to his Buffaloes.

The 25th-ranked Buffs (12-3 overall, 1-1 Pac-12) played well last week for approximately 73 minutes, only to see a sub-par seven-minute stretch throw a damper on the entire week. Thus, what started as a very promising week with a big win over No. 4 Oregon ended with a thud in the form of a home loss to Oregon State.

Now, the Buffs aim to rebound Sunday when they end a three-game homestand with a 4 p.m. game against Utah (10-4, 1-1) at the CU Events Center.

Granted, it hasn't been easy for the Buffs to get past those final seven minutes against OSU, when they let an 11-point lead slip turn into an eight-point loss. But as Boyle has told his team, they have to remember what they did to produce that lead — then eliminate the mistakes that let it disappear down the stretch.

"You address your problems and you also talk about the fact that we were playing very, very well for those first 33 minutes," Boyle said after Friday's practice. "We have to build on that and gain confidence from that, and learn from that last stretch. (But) you can't dwell on it. That's a big thing."

Protecting the paint against the Utes will be a critical area for Colorado on Sunday, in particular against Utah's 6-foot-6 forward Timmy Allen, who leads the Pac-12 in scoring with a 21.1 average.

"He can score at the rim, he can make free throws, he's got a great mid-range game," Boyle said. "He's just a tough-minded, gritty, competitive dude that puts a lot of pressure on your defense. We have to keep him out of the paint. It's going to take a team effort."

SUNDAY TWINBILL: Both the CU men and women will play at the Events Center on Sunday. The women will square off with UCLA at noon before the CU men and Utah tip it off at 4 p.m.

BROADCAST: Sunday's game will be televised by ESPNU with Roxy Bernstein and Corey Williams. The radio broadcast will be carried by 850 AM and 94.1 FM KOA, with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke.
"

Article-

"
BOULDER — Dozens of players representing three decades at Colorado gathered Saturday for the Russell "Sox" Walseth reunion in Boulder as the era of CU's all-time winningest men's basketball coach was recognized.

Walseth, whose name is emblazoned on the CU Events Center court, coached at CU for 20 years (1956-76), where he compiled a 261-245 record while playing in one of the nation's toughest conferences (Big Seven/Big Eight). In an era when only the regular season conference champions earned NCAA Tournament berths, Walseth won three Big Eight regular season titles (1961-62, '62-63 and '68-69), took his teams to three NCAA Tournaments, and was named the Big Eight Coach of the Year five times.

As several players noted Saturday morning, had today's NCAA selection standards applied, Walseth's teams almost certainly would have played in several more NCAA tournaments. Along with three conference titles, Walseth's teams also finished in the top three in the league on five other occasions.

Walseth also coached the CU women's team from 1980-83, compiling a 77-21 record that included a perfect 43-0 record at home in his tenure.

The annual reunions were started by current CU head coach Tad Boyle, who greatly values the Colorado program's tradition. It has been a point of emphasis throughout his 10-year tenure, and each year CU hosts a reunion for former players. The reunions are open to all Buffs, but each year, a coach from the past and players from that specific era are recognized.

While Boyle's Buffs did win a Pac-12 tournament champion in 2012, Walseth's 1968-69 team — which featured Big Eight Player of the Year Cliff Meely — is still the last CU squad to win a regular season conference title.

Reunion attendees were celebrated at a Saturday night reception in Boulder, and will be recognized at Sunday's Colorado-Utah game at the Events Center (4 p.m., ESPNU).

"Tad is the first coach who has done this type of thing and I think it's made an impact on his players and program, and I know it's made an impact on us old guys," Bauers said. "We appreciate the recognition, we appreciate being involved, we appreciate being invited back. It's a big deal, and someday, these young guys will know how big a deal it is for them as well."
"

A more detailed preview of tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/11/mens-basketball-buffs-host-utah-in-pac-12-matchup-sunday.aspx

"
BOULDER — Tad Boyle's Colorado Buffaloes have had a week now to stew over their last outing, a 76-68 loss to Oregon State.

Sunday afternoon, the 25th-ranked Buffs (12-3 overall, 1-1 Pac-12) finally have a chance to wash the taste out of their mouths when they play host to Utah (10-4, 1-1) in a 4 p.m. game at the CU Events Center (ESPNU).

Most weeks in the conference season involve two games. But twice each year, Pac-12 teams face their conference-designated rival and it is their only game of the week. Thus, thanks to a loss that prevented the Buffs from spending the week atop the league standings, it's been an especially long seven days.

"That's behind us," Boyle said after Saturday's practice. "We can't do anything about it now other than move forward, and that's what we've got to do with Utah."

It won't be an easy assignment. The Utes, picked in the preseason media poll to finish ninth in the Pac-12, look much more like an upper-division conference team. Utah opened its conference season with a win over Oregon State — the same Beavers, Boyle notes, who beat Colorado three days later — and took Oregon down to the wire before losing. Larry Krystkowiak's team also owns wins over Kentucky, Nevada, Minnesota and BYU.

"They're a tough-minded team and they play within themselves," Boyle said. "Utah doesn't beat themselves. You have to beat Utah. They're not going to come in here and turn it over 25 times. They're not going to take a bunch of bad shots. They're much, much better than I think anybody thought that they would be at this stage of the game before the season started."

The Utes are led by sophomore Timmy Allen, a 6-foot-6 forward who leads the league in scoring (21.1 points per game) and is in the top 10 in rebounding as well (7.9 rpg). But they also have a dangerous outside shooter in freshman Rylan Jones (third in the league in 3-point percentage at .475) and a capable scorer in 6-6 guard Both Gach (12.9 ppg).

"They have great role definition," Boyle said. "The Jones kid knows what he does well and they know what he does well. They look to get him shots and threes. Allen, when he penetrates, he knows where Gach is, he knows where Jones is, he knows where Batten is. He (Allen) takes tough shots and he makes tough shots. He's a handful."

TIPOFF: The game is set for 4 p.m. at the CU Events Center.

THE SERIES: Colorado holds a 28-23 all-time edge in the series, but the two teams have split the last four, with the home team winning each time.

BROADCAST: The game will be televised by ESPNU with Roxy Bernstein and Corey Williams. The radio broadcast will be carried by 850 AM and 94.1 FM KOA, with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke.

UP NEXT: The Buffs hit the road next week for a pair in the desert, beginning with a 7 p.m. game Thursday at Arizona State (Pac-12 Network), followed by a 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Arizona (Fox).
"

I know it’s not nice to say such things, but good gawd Utah has to have the ugliest roster of dudes I’ve ever seen. It’s like a comic book mad scientist’s experiment gone terribly wrong. Or The Hills Have Eyes Part 3. Man, I’m shaken deeply.

I know it’s not nice to say such things, but good gawd Utah has to have the ugliest roster of dudes I’ve ever seen. It’s like a comic book mad scientist’s experiment gone terribly wrong. Or The Hills Have Eyes Part 3. Man, I’m shaken deeply.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Mormon inbreeding? o_O

Back