What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking for Used Mountian Bike

Fight CU

Club Member
Club Member
Fight son went to Boulder with my used but still kick ass Specialized Roubaix roadie but has determined it's not going to be the best fit for his lifestyle and all the seasons there in Boulder - and he's probably right.

So....he's in the market for a used mountain bike. Anyone selling or know of good places to buy / trade? I looked at FB Marketplace - not a lot of good ones out there.

I have an older Marin model I'd let go cheap. I'll try to post some pix before the game.

Seriously - the Used Bike market is still very stoopid right now. Way overpriced. New low-end shifters and brakes are going to still be better than 10 year old Shimano XT. If I was getting something inexpensive w/decent components, I would just figure out a budget and shop www.bikesdirect.com. Especially for a townie bike to get to class. People actually race and win in the high end BD mtn bikes.

Or look at Framed bikes; they're well made frames.

EDIT: Hokie's bike is going to smell like Patchouli. Hard pass.

Last edited:
Jello's answer is likely the correct one. Prices went way up during the pandemic because people "wanted to be more active" and were searching for anything they could get their hands on; prices still haven't come down.

That said, if he's willing to be patient I would suggest checking CL every day. I bet he could find something reasonable within a month or so. It's probably easier to buy Hokie's, though.

As an aside, when we left Boulder in 2018, I had a mid-80s Peugeot Orient Express that I picked up at an estate sale for $15:

1662142925646.png

I think the seeming condition of the bike scared everyone off, but honestly it was in pretty great shape- everything was there and functioning (even the tubes still held air), and after I cleaned it and tuned it up it was a really fun bike to tool around in. Heavy as ****, though. When we were moving, I was in a position of needing to transport 7 bikes for a family of 4, and I thought it was ridiculous to take so many bikes. After much consideration, I sold it for $60.

When we got to North Carolina, my wife told me "I wish we had sold my bike (a ****ty Schwinn we bought from a big box) because I felt so much safer and more stable on that huge old heavy bike." Ugh...I'd love to have that thing back. I've seen them advertised north of $200 nowadays.

*changes keypad code on garage
Completely unrelated to the bike post, but a few years ago I was picking something up from my folks garage (they weren't home at the time). It was heavy, and in their garage, so my dad told me to just use the garage code (my birth year) for ease of pick-up.

I arrive, but for the life of me I can't get their garage door to open. I'm trying everything. I'm pressing the # and * signs on his keypad before and after entering my birth year. I'm hitting the up/down button before and after. Nothing is working. After about 10 min I decide to do it the old fashioned way before the neighbors call the police on me. I walk around to their front door, use the key to get into the house, walk to the garage and use the button to open it up and claim the goods. Reverse the procedure before locking up the house and leaving.

A couple weeks later I stop by and mention that I couldn't figure out how to work his keypad. Why the hell does it have # and * buttons anyhow? He's amused and surprised at my inability to operate a keypad and decides to show me how it works.

Ladies and gentleman, I did everything correctly but discovered that this man did not know what year I was born in. :ROFLMAO:

I am selling my son's XC mountain bike that he raced on last year as a sophomore in high school. It's a medium frame and he simply outgrew it.

It a 2012 Salsa Spearfish 1 and it's in great shape, but it's probably not a great choice as a 'ride around campus' bike. But if you're interested in finding out more, PM me.

I am selling my son's XC mountain bike that he raced on last year as a sophomore in high school. It's a medium frame and he simply outgrew it.

It a 2012 Salsa Spearfish 1 and it's in great shape, but it's probably not a great choice as a 'ride around campus' bike. But if you're interested in finding out more, PM me.
The Spearfish is a nice bike- I wanted one for awhile, never got around to picking one up. I have a Salsa Horsethief as a backup bike now.

Seriously - the Used Bike market is still very stoopid right now. Way overpriced. New low-end shifters and brakes are going to still be better than 10 year old Shimano XT. If I was getting something inexpensive w/decent components, I would just figure out a budget and shop www.bikesdirect.com. Especially for a townie bike to get to class. People actually race and win in the high end BD mtn bikes.

Or look at Framed bikes; they're well made frames.

EDIT: Hokie's bike is going to smell like Patchouli. Hard pass.
This. Sold my 5 year old hardtail for $50 less than I bought it for. I was the 2d owner. A few upgrades but still wild. I am seeing sales pop up now on higher end bikes.

@Fight CU , i fukced up, didn't get the pix and am now out of town (your neck of woods, IIRC).

I'll be back in Boulder 9/13 and will try harder then.

if you find a different solution before, go for it.

Completely unrelated to the bike post, but a few years ago I was picking something up from my folks garage (they weren't home at the time). It was heavy, and in their garage, so my dad told me to just use the garage code (my birth year) for ease of pick-up.

I arrive, but for the life of me I can't get their garage door to open. I'm trying everything. I'm pressing the # and * signs on his keypad before and after entering my birth year. I'm hitting the up/down button before and after. Nothing is working. After about 10 min I decide to do it the old fashioned way before the neighbors call the police on me. I walk around to their front door, use the key to get into the house, walk to the garage and use the button to open it up and claim the goods. Reverse the procedure before locking up the house and leaving.

A couple weeks later I stop by and mention that I couldn't figure out how to work his keypad. Why the hell does it have # and * buttons anyhow? He's amused and surprised at my inability to operate a keypad and decides to show me how it works.

Ladies and gentleman, I did everything correctly but discovered that this man did not know what year I was born in. :ROFLMAO:
My parents forgot my birthday when I was 12. As an Xer, it rolled off my back (and deeply scarred me).

Last edited:
My birthday always falls within a day or two or Thanksgiving. Celebrating your birthday with leftover Thanksgiving pumpkin pie is the most Gen X thing ever.
Mine is Dec 28. Growing up, I got lots and lots of 'this is your Christmas AND birthday present'. I'm totally not bitter about it. The year my birthday got forgotten, we had family in town and we were all up skiing. Not even so much as a 'happy birthday' from mom, dad, siblings, cousins, aunts or uncles.

My birthday always falls within a day or two or Thanksgiving. Celebrating your birthday with leftover Thanksgiving pumpkin pie is the most Gen X thing ever.
My younger daughter is the same. she has had her birthday fall on Thanksgiving. When it happens we move celebrating it to the following Saturday, want her to have her day.

Tougher one is that my oldest birthday falls on the same day that my MIL died from Cancer so my wife doesn't feel much like celebrating on that day.

Mine is Dec 28. Growing up, I got lots and lots of 'this is your Christmas AND birthday present'. I'm totally not bitter about it. The year my birthday got forgotten, we had family in town and we were all up skiing. Not even so much as a 'happy birthday' from mom, dad, siblings, cousins, aunts or uncles.
I'm completely over the concept of adult present giving, but I do like the idea of people recognizing my birthday and letting me watch football in peace without chores or parenting. That I like.

Back