What's new

Mark Kennedy new CU President, affirmed in party line vote (formerly Bruce Benson retires)

Denver_sc

Club Member
Club Member
DiStephano is reviled at allbuffs but people working at the university think highly of the guy. i have no view on Phil, really.
Seriously?! I know quite a few faculty and they HATE that guy as much as Allbuffs does. Of course, his recent track record has been much, much worse than his past mediocrity so it might be that he used to be respected.

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
Seriously?! I know quite a few faculty and they HATE that guy as much as Allbuffs does. Of course, his recent track record has been much, much worse than his past mediocrity so it might be that he used to be respected.
He isn't liked by faculty and staff as far as I can tell

Mick Ronson

it's been since 2012 since i had a CU paycheck....and i will say the people i knew, faculty admins and staff thought Phil was a good guy for their interests.

maybe elevation has changed the man or his reputation at the institution.

can't say.

Hugegroove

Club Member
Club Member
I think people bring up Benson as an example of a guy who did well in spite of initial opposition. The argument being that we should give Kennedy that same leeway. I can buy that. I’m willing to put my preconceived notions about Kennedy aside and judge the job he’s doing. BUT, he has a short leash as far as I’m concerned. We don’t need a guy with a steep learning curve. We need a guy to build on what Benson did.
THIS!

buffs233

Club Member
Club Member
Mark Kennedy is not the problem at CU. I have met him and expect him to be very supportive of the AD and football, in particular.

The two left wing, football-hating idiots on the Board of Regents (Shoemaker and Kroll) along with that dumbass lefty, faculty member Lesley Smith, however, are a serious threat to the CU football program.

buffs233

Club Member
Club Member
Forgot to add that Mark Kennedy and Tucker hit-it-off immediately. Kennedy will be fighting with several Dems on the BOR to maintain and even grow support for the CU AD.

Not Sure

Club Member
Club Member
It’s not Kennedy’s job to fight with the Regents. The two dipshits (three, actually) need to be held in check by the sane members of the BoR.

buffalo1

Club Member
Club Member
It’s not Kennedy’s job to fight with the Regents. The two dipshits (three, actually) need to be held in check by the sane members of the BoR.
This is true. I've served on numerous appointed and elected boards. The hired executive director should never get in the middle of a board squabble. The ED will almost always be shown the door at some point. But the ED CAN provide important facts, data, information and perspective from an expert/staff knowledge point of view.

Highlander

There can be only one
Club Member
Mark Kennedy is not the problem at CU. I have met him and expect him to be very supportive of the AD and football, in particular.

The two left wing, football-hating idiots on the Board of Regents (Shoemaker and Kroll) along with that dumbass lefty, faculty member Lesley Smith, however, are a serious threat to the CU football program.
I wasn't previously that concerned about Kennedy as an athletics/football supporter.

I'm now terribly concerned.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This is bizarre.

How can someone be a public official with responsibilities for budgeting and oversight of a state university and then say he/she is working as a private citizen that directly relates to their position?

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
This is bizarre.

How can someone be a public official with responsibilities for budgeting and oversight of a state university and then say he/she is working as a private citizen that directly relates to their position?
You’re going out of your way to find fault with the guy.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
You’re going out of your way to find fault with the guy.
No. I'm saying it's a weird thing to me from both Regent Ganahl and President Kennedy.

I don't understand how you separate lobbying efforts related to your job function from your job by saying that it's something you're doing on the side as a private citizen. Maybe it is just to make it clear that their positions are not representing CU in any official capacity, but I don't know that it's really possible to separate the two.

As far as the issue itself, I haven't studied it enough to see if I agree with Ganahl, Kennedy or neither.

skibum

Did not pee on the Alamo.
Club Member
It’s not Kennedy’s job to fight with the Regents. The two dipshits (three, actually) need to be held in check by the voters and donors who fund their campaigns.
FIFY. The place to fight them is via campaign donations and votes.

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
No. I'm saying it's a weird thing to me from both Regent Ganahl and President Kennedy.

I don't understand how you separate lobbying efforts related to your job function from your job by saying that it's something you're doing on the side as a private citizen. Maybe it is just to make it clear that their positions are not representing CU in any official capacity, but I don't know that it's really possible to separate the two.

As far as the issue itself, I haven't studied it enough to see if I agree with Ganahl, Kennedy or neither.
I think a government or quasi governmental employ should steer clear of interjecting political opinion in their job as much as possible. There are reasons government employees are reminded of the Hatch Act every election cycle.