What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- (RV) Volleyball @ a Pac 12/Big 10 Challenge facing host Iowa (Friday, 9/6, 6:00 MT) & #5 Illinois (Sat., 3:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the team in what looks like the most challenging non-conference weekend of the season, on the road no less, as they have matches against an improving (and host) Iowa team (they swept then #22 WSU last weekend), followed up by a tilt against the #5 Fighting Illini.

Go get'um Buffs!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/4/volleyball-cu-set-for-pac-12-big-ten-challenge.aspx

"
By: Shaun Wicen, Assistant SID
Release: September 04, 2019

BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team heads to Iowa City this weekend to compete in its fifth-straight Pac-12/BIG TEN Challenge at the University of Iowa.

Friday evening's match against host Iowa will begin at 6 p.m. (MT) and will be streamed on the BIG TEN network. CU takes on No.5 Illinois Saturday at 3 p.m. (MT).

Colorado (3-0) will have its hands full this weekend against Iowa (3-0) and No.5 Illinois (2-0). 16th-ranked Washington will be the other Pac-12 school in the mix, as all four teams are either ranked or receiving votes entering the weekend.

SCOUTING THE HAWKEYES

Iowa had a strong start to their season last weekend in Virginia. The Hawkeyes defeated Stony Brook in four sets Friday night, then began the morning with a sweep of No.22 Washington State. They closed out the James Madison Tournament with a sweep of the host team.

Iowa held WSU to just a .069 hitting percentage while hitting .290 themselves. Iowa dominated the kills, putting down 46 compared to the Cougars' 28. Pin hitters Meghan Buzzerio and Griere Hughes each had a dozen kills in the sweep. Hughes hit .320 while Buzzerio hit .242 in the process. Libero Halle Johnston also had 21 digs in the match.

The team is hitting .327 right now and holding opponents to just .090 hitting and less than 10 kills per set. The serving game will be important as Iowa has 15 aces to 30 errors while allowing 18 aces with opponents just giving up 20 errors. Iowa is also averaging more than two blocks per set.

SCOUTING THE ILLINI

No.5 Illinois enters this weekend up one spot after defeating No.19 Tennessee in back-to-back five set matches last weekend. The home-and-home set up saw Illinois enter Knoxville to start the season rally from down two sets to none and win the match in a long 23-21 fifth set. Tennessee took the first two sets 26-24, 25-23, then surrendered a 25-22 third set, 25-17 fourth and the final 23-21 fifth. The Illini hit .246 compared to .218 from Tennessee. Outside hitter Jacqueline Quade put up an astonishing 31 kills in the effort, hitting .247.

In the second installment, Tennessee looked to return the favor after falling down two sets to none. After securing sets three and four, Tennessee dropped the fifth 15-8. Quade was the star again, this time with 21 kills, nearly twice as many as any other player. Ashlyn Fleming had 12 kills and nine blocks in the match, while Illinois hit .210 and held Tennessee to .129.
"

Match Media links -
Vs. Iowa (Friday, 6:00 PM MT)
:
Live Video (believe only for those with a premium Btn + subscription.) - https://www.btnplus.com/game/colorado-at-iowa-on-09062019
Note - Just since I've been investigating possibly signing up (I am NOT affiliated with them in any way and don't know enough about them one way or the other to either recommend or damn them), wanted to mention it does look like a premium FloPro subscription (either $150 per year or $29.99/mo.) includes Btn+ content access, along with all of FloPro's other content. (For me that includes most notably track and cross country meets and races through Flotrack, as well as many other volleyball matches. It looks like they have MANY (25 or so) separate "channels" for MANY physical activities from the classic sports (football, soccer, hockey, etc.) to what to me would be more obscure (bowling, cheerleading, marching band, dancing, etc.).). See https://www.flosports.tv/ if interested for more info, and what looks like the access point for any premium subscribers to see their live events. Note - believe Flopro gets some (justified in my opinion) grief for only saying their annual subscription is "$12.49 per month" on their initial signup page, while as I understand it not making it sufficiently clear to anyone joining they do immediately get charged the full $150 annual amount immediately upon subscribing.)

Live stats - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=274192

Vs. Illinois (Saturday, 3:00 PM MT) :
Live video - doesn't look there is any.

Live Audio
(looks like Illinois provides an audio broadcast for all its matches) - https://fightingillini.com/watch/?Live=4162&type=Live

Live stats - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=27426 (That link (from CU's schedule) errors out right now. Just in case it continues to do so, assume a valid live link will be available through http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=iowa before the start of the match.)

Forgot to mention volleyball has a few of their players doing the "This Week" shows for volleyball this season. This week's is

I'm excited as I'm going to the Iowa match.

I have listened to the Illini audio broadcast before. Very knowledgeable announcers who know how to call volleyball. They give the score at every point.

Looks like the match should be starting soon, but will be a little late, I assume because Washington went 5 to upset #5 Illinois in the earlier match. (Note - live stats has a full 5 set score already with the Buffs winning, but assume that's just "residue" from the earlier match.)

Great win over a team on their home court who beat the #22 ranked team (albeit in a pre-season poll) last weekend at a neutral site, and bonus points for the sweep so they'll be as rested as possible when they face-off against the #5 Illini tomorrow afternoon.

That was a fun match to watch! Of course it's always fun to beat a team on their home court.

I got there before the end of the Illinois-Washington match. Was talking to some Illinois fans. After the lack of hospitality by Iowa today, many of their fans will not be attending an afternoon match because of the football game at 11 AM tomorrow. Neither will I.

I had to go to 3 parking lots, getting told this is only for football and you can't park here for volleyball. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had any idea of where I was supposed to park. So I drove around Carver-Hawkeye until they figured out which lots we could park in.

The Buffs played very well for the most part. Both teams had too many service errors.

Both Illinois and Washington are good teams. Hope we can beat them tomorrow.

are they playing football tonight. If not why could you not park in the the lot for the game. That seems weird. If they beat Illinois tomorrow that will be a cherry on the top for me as they have won more then I thought they would have at this point.

Article after tonight's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/6/volleyball-colorado-sweeps-iowa-to-remain-perfect.aspx

"
IOWA CITY – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team remains unblemished with its third 3-0 sweep (25-22, 25-20, 25-23) of the season Friday evening against Iowa behind strong blocking and efficient hitting performances.

The Buffs (4-0) defeated Iowa (3-1) thanks to impressive hitting numbers that included a perfect second set with a .636 hitting percentage and no attack errors. Colorado committed just eight hitting errors all night long, the first time CU has had less than 10 errors since Sept. 2017. CU also dominated the net with nine total blocks, averaging three per set.

Individually, freshman Sterling Parker had a breakout match with 11 kills and a .450 hitting percentage. The rightside had just two errors and helped enormously in the second set with five kills. She was also a part of four blocks.

The CU hitting efficiency didn't stop with Parker, as freshman Jill Schneggenburger had eight errorless kills with a .444 hitting percentage. Justine Spann added 10 kills with a .161 hitting percentage.

In addition, setter Jenna Ewert had four errorless kills and a .429 hitting percentage, while Meegan Hart had four kills on six swings for a .667 hitting percentage. Colorado finished the match with a season-high .344 team hitting percentage.

Ewert recorded her third-straight double-double, dishing out 30 assists and leading the team for the third-straight match in digs with 12.

Defensively, Colorado's nine blocks was on par with the season's average blocks per set. Hart led the way with five block assists, followed by Parker's four. Danielle Price added three blocks along with Ewert, while Spann had a pair. All six front row players recorded at least one block assist.

Colorado returns to action tomorrow afternoon against No.5 Illinois at 3 p.m. MT. The Illini lost their first match of the season in a five-set affair against No.16 Washington today. Illinois (2-1) has played three-straight top-20 opponents and gone to five sets in every match this season.

QUOTES:
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney
On remaining perfect

It feels great. More important than the winnings, I'm excited that we keep getting better. That was a really good match against a BIG TEN opponent on their home floor and to get out with a 3-0 win is good for where our team is in their development right now.

On Sterling Parker
Sterling started out a little tentative in set one. She can take big, high swings and she is super athletic. That kid is going to have a great career because she is no where near her potential right now and it is good to see her playing well because that is going to give her confidence to continue to do better.

On Jenna Ewert
Jenna's a stud. She is such an athletic setter. She delivers a really nice ball but she can also defend, she can block, she can attack, she had a ton of kills tonight. Even as a sophomore she is such a great leader for this team.

Concerns on service errors and middle attempts
We've been serving really well in practice, but we are getting a little amped up at game time and driving the ball long. We are still trying to find ways to get the ball to our middle. We know that in order to be the team we want to be we want to spread the ball around more.

On sharing the ball to hitters
I'm excited about our pins. Justine is doing a really nice job. She is maturing and taking care of the ball and making better choices than when she was a little younger, that is great to see. Our two other freshmen pins are only going to continue to grow. Once we can diversify our offense a little better I'm excited about what this team can be.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Boxscore - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=13036

are they playing football tonight. If not why could you not park in the the lot for the game. That seems weird. If they beat Illinois tomorrow that will be a cherry on the top for me as they have won more then I thought they would have at this point.

The football game is today, not last night, which is the reason it was so strange that they would not let us park in the lots right across the street from the venue. The Illinois and Washington fans had it worse because their match started before the nearby lots are available to non permit holders. They had to park in a parking garage some distance away and pay to park.

I don't know if they allow people to RV camp in their parking lots or not, but I didn't see any of those vehicles driving around last night.

It was very hot in the arena and the Illinois fans said there were no concession stands open. They couldn't bring in water and they couldn't buy water, so they were unhappy. They were like me about today's afternoon match. Parking will be such a nightmare, it isn't worth going, even though I'd love to watch the match.

I really hope they can beat Illinois. I've watched all 4 matches the Buffs have played so far and, as with Jesse's teams, they get better with each match. He will have them as ready as any coach can have the team.

Rachel Whipple didn't participate in all of the warm-ups before the match. I know she wears a big wrap on her knee/leg. Is she limited to the bicycle for practice and then goes hard for the matches?

I am so impressed with Sterling Parker. She had family there last night. There was a fan sitting with Washington fans who was wearing a CU shirt. Other than that, I could only tell of Sterling's family and me being there.

I know Savannah Perry is from Iowa. I don't know if she has younger siblings who play sports. If she does, both high school volleyball and football games were happening last night. Otherwise, her family might have been on the other side. They were not behind the bench for the 1st and 3rd sets like the few fans CU had in attendance.

Really sad about the game management. Sterling Parker and Jill S have really impressed me as freshman.

I wish I had been there, but the Buffs took care of business and showed they belong with the elite teams of volleyball.

Some of the Illinois fans were saying yesterday the team would lose to Colorado today. They were the ones that stayed for the Iowa-Colorado match. They said Illinois has serving problems and from today's stats, they do.

Do we get ranked this week?

Article after yesterday's HUGE win.

Note - It's another BIG week coming up for the team with a back to back home and home against an always dangerous*** CSU team this Thursday (Ft. Collins - 7:00) and Friday (Boulder - 6:00). Hope some Allbuffians in the area can make it out to at least one of the matches. (***They just swept #22 FSU yesterday at a tournament hosted by TCU, and are 5-1 overall.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/7/volleyball-buffaloes-upset-no-5-illinois-in-sweep.aspx

"
IOWA CITY – Colorado women's volleyball team made history today by sweeping No.5-ranked Illinois, 3-0 (30-28, 25-19, 25-20), the first top-10 victory under head coach Jesse Mahoney and just the second-ever top-five upset not at home and second-ever sweep of a top-five opponent.

Colorado remains perfect with a 5-0 record for just the third time in school history after sweeping the Illini (2-2) who lost to No.16 Washington in five the night before. CU is now 15-1 in sets, a mark matched only by the 2008 squad that started the season 6-0 and were 18-1 in set wins to begin the season.

The Buffs were an efficient hitting machine all weekend, cumulating in a .462 team hitting percentage against the Illini, the highest since 2014 when the team hit .549 against Robert Morris and just the fifth time hitting greater than .400 in the past decade. Colorado hit .542 in the final set without an error.

CU only had one unforced hitting error during the match. The team only committed eight total errors, but seven of those came from being blocked.

Justine Spann led the Buffs with 16 kills and a career-high .560 hitting percentage. She was joined by freshman Jill Schneggenburger who had 12 kills with a .611 hitting percentage. Sterling Parker added in six kills and a .364 percentage. CU had five of its six hit .300 or better.

Dishing out with near perfection today was sophomore setter Jenna Ewert with 31 assists. She led the team for the fourth-straight match in digs with six.

Defensively, CU had six recorded blocks and numerous more pressured that forced attack errors on Illinois. Meegan Hart was the anchor of the defense with five recorded block assists. She has recorded five blocks in the past three matches, averaging 1.37 blocks per set this season.

The biggest differences between the two teams were the serving game and errors in the third set. Illinois hit .467 and .417 in the first two sets, respectfully, but CU held them to just a .100 hitting percentage in the third. Both teams had seven aces during the match, but Illinois committed 12 service errors compared to CU's six.

Mahoney is now 6-2 in the Pac-12/BIG TEN Challenge. This was his first top-five win and he now has coached two of the three best starts in school history. This is the first top-five victory not at home since the 1997 team defeating Nebraska in Lincoln in five. That team also had the only top-five sweep until today, defeating the same Husker team 20 days later at home.

Colorado has a short week to prepare for the first home-and-home double header with Colorado State this Thursday and Friday.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney
On the match

Really fun, exciting match. I'm really proud of the growth of this team in a short amount of time. That's a team that was just in the Final Four that has a ton of talent on it. I thought that we did a really nice job controlling the match early and we withstood runs in set one, set two, set three and found a way to separate at the end. I thought our two outside hitters were fantastic. Jenna did a fantastic job spreading the ball around. Really a total team effort and we are looking forward to celebrating this for a day then we have some tough matches coming up, that's the way it is.

On hitting efficiency
Those are some pretty gaudy numbers (we put up), especially against a really good team and a really good blocking team. We are going to be successful this year is our outsides can be that efficient. That being said, that comes from good passing, good defense and really good setting so it's a team effort to get those two to put up those type of numbers.

On passing/defense
Defensively, Lee runs our defensive game plan. I thought he put the block in the right spots tonight and I thought defensively we did a very nice job. Behind it they've got an All-American attacker that was pretty tough to slow down but we were able to do it and create some separation.

On 15-1 in sets
Those type of things are fun to look at and think about but we are worried about our growth and our process and we just want to get better every practice and match. It's fun to see that some of the younger players out there are doing that and our veterans are stepping up as well. Again, total team effort and we will celebrate it for a day then we are back in the gym.

Outside hitter Justine Spann
On 5-0 start and four sweeps

It definitely helps being the underdog, being the team that people don't expect to win games like this. I absolutely love the pressure, that's the best part about being the underdog. Going on the road, our team is very young and it's really difficult for us sometimes as far as experience goes, but honestly we are playing like veterans right now and I couldn't be more proud of this team. Super excited to see how the rest of the season goes, but we can't bank on these wins, we need to continue to win as preseason and conference play goes on.

On her play
I'm shocked that I hit that well. I'm super proud of myself but I couldn't have done that without my teammates because at the end of the day this is a team sport and I couldn't hit that well without the rest of the team executing the game plan as well as we did.

Outside hitter Jill Schneggenburger
On being a part of this run

It's great being a part of this run and being a part of this team in general. They push me in a positive way, even if I'm down or not doing as well as I could they always make sure I am up in spirits. Being a part of this positive environment has made this enjoyable to be a part of this run.

On team hitting improvements
We knew what to work on. That was the majority of our focus in practice. Knowing what we had to work on, hitting high off the top of hands, it really helped.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=13037
(Assume there may have been a match against a much lesser opponent some time in the past, but still hard to imagine there's EVER been a better statistical match by a CU outside hitting duo, with senior leader Spann and true freshman Schneggenburger combining for an average of 9-1/3 kills per set with a .581 hitting % against the #5 Illini.)

Back