What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread- (RV) Volleyball hosting Oakland (Friday, 9/20, 7:00), UMBC (Sat., noon) and Campbell (Sat., 7:30)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the team as they finish off non-conference play hosting Oakland (from Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, Michigan), University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) and Campbell University (from Buies Creek, NC)!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/17/...assic-to-close-out-non-conference-season.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball team closes out the remainder of the non-conference schedule hosting the 2019 Colorado Classic this weekend against Oakland, University of Maryland Baltimore County and Campbell University.

The Buffaloes (5-2) are coming off of a pair of losses to No.19-ranked Colorado State last week during a home-and-home set of contests. Oakland (5-4) enters the tournament with a recent four-set win against Miami (OH), while UMBC (3-6) has lost four of its last five matches with a win against Canisius in four sets. Campbell (5-4) began the season with a four-match losing streak but since then have won five straight, all by way of sweep.

This tournament will mark a special occasion for (Jill) Schneggenburger who gets to compete against her older sister, Hannah, who plays middle for Campbell. The junior has seen action in 11 sets this season.

Colorado begins the tournament against Oakland Friday night at 7 p.m. The team then takes on UMBC at noon on Saturday and end the non-conference season against Campbell at 7:30 p.m.

SCOUTING THE GOLDEN BEARS
Oakland comes into the match Friday hitting .222 as a team. The Golden Bears suffered sweeps to both Michigan and Michigan State, but have wins against Tennessee Tech, Belmont, DePaul and Northern Arizona. The team is led by Jamie Walling and Taylor Dellinger with 134 and 109 kills, respectfully. The Golden Bears run a 6-2 offense that averages nearly 15 assists per set, led by Madison Ross with 191 assists and AnnaBelle Tomei with 180. Their libero Lindsay Wightman has more than four digs per set with 156 this season, nearly more than the next three highest teammates combined. Up front, Megan Hobler is the middle to fear with 46 total blocks this season.

SCOUTING THE RETRIEVERS
UMBC enters Boulder with just a single win in five tries. The team's three wins come against Lafayette, St. Francis and Canisius. They have a .213 hitting percentage, while opponents are hitting .245. Kamani Conteh and Carmen Freeman have a team-high 111 and 100 kills, respectfully. Brooke Hayden leads the defense with 125 digs, while Niki Khoshatefeh has 26 total blocks.

SCOUTING THE CAMELS
Campbell has turned things around early after starting the season 0-4. A pair of home-and-home sweeps against NC Central helped spark a home run that has the team 4-0 with all sweeps against North Dakota, The Citadel and SC State. Sophomore outside Sarah Colla leads the way with 135 total kills and a .264 hitting percentage. The Camels also run a 6-2 with Emily Mitter and Madee Miner, as Mitter has a team-high 157 assists. Libero Elyse Gross has 128 digs to lead the defense, while Amanda Patterson has 18 blocks. Colla recent is coming off an errorless 21 kills and .750 hitting percentage against NC Central.
"

Matches' Media links -
Live video -
All matches involving the Buffs look to be viewable via a free live stream, with the Oakland and Campbell matches at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs and the UMBC match at https://pac-12.com/live/pac-12-plus (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Live stats -

Last edited:
Watched Stanford beat Nebraska last night. It was not a contest. Stanford is the best volleyball team in the country and they have been on a long road trip playing teams ranked in the top 10. They have not started classes yet.

Barring injuries, they will win the Pac-12 easily.

I also disagree with the B1G announcer who said the B1G conference is the best volleyball conference in the country. I am happy that the B1G is having Wednesday as Block Party for the rest of the season. Some Wednesdays they are having double headers. I will get to see a lot of excellent volleyball but the Pac-12 is just as good, if not better, when it comes to the best conference.

Stanford is the defending national champion and Plummer is the two time player of the year.

Stanford and Plummer is on a different level. I saw the Florida match and it was no contest in Jacksonville. Florida had a 6'7" girl they were exited about but she was no match for Plummer and her teammates.

Watched BYU and Utah last night. Both are ranked in the lower 20's. The volleyball played was not close to the level of the volleyball played in the Stanford vs Nebraska match.

I'm not impressed with the teams the Buffs are playing this weekend. They had best beat all three teams 3-0 or I will be disappointed.

The Buffs cruised in the 1st 25-14 against Oakland, and are up 9-4 in the 2nd. TO Oakland.

The 4th set looked like another tight one early, as it was tied at 6, but the Buffs have earned the next 7 points as Oakland takes their 2nd timeout.

Tonight they looked better, except for the 3rd set. the middles were more involved and it looked smoother when they set them. Both Hart and Price had good night. hart had 10 kills and I think Price had 7 and both had a good amount of blocks. Still too many serving errors

Article after this evening's match-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/20/volleyball-buffs-hitting-frenzy-leads-cu-over-oakland.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado women's volleyball team broke numerous school records en route to a 3-1 (25-14, 25-12, 24-26, 25-14) win over Oakland University this Friday evening.

Things started off when freshman Sterling Parker became just the third CU player to hit seven kills in seven swings. Though she didn't finish the match with a 1.000 hitting percentage, she dominated with 10 kills and a .412 hitting percentage. She was joined by redshirt sophomore middle Meegan Hart who broke two school records today with her 10 errorless kill effort on 12 swings. Hart broke a 20-year old record by hitting .833 in a four-set match, breaking Lisa Soulliere and Darla DeRuiter's record of .714 hitting percentage with a minimum of 10 kills. She also broke the sophomore overall match hitting percentage record of .778 set by Jennifer Sherlock in 1988 and Nicole Vranesh in 1991.

Those weren't the only records to go down as the team demolished the overall team four-set hitting percentage record of .402 set against Denver in 2004. The Buffs hit .490 in today's effort with 60 kills and only 12 errors on 98 attempts. Much of this effort was due to amazing passing all around, led by sophomore setter Jenna Ewert's double-double of 51 assists and 11 digs. She had 12.75 assist per set and was dishing out dimes with three Buffs over double-digit kills and five over .400 hitting percentage.

Senior outside hitter Justine Spann led the effort with 21 kills and a career-high .562 hitting percentage. She committed just three errors in the effort. Parker and Hart each added 10 kills, followed by Jill Schneggenburger's seven kills and Danielle Price's six and a .714 hitting percentage.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On The Match
"I thought 75% of that match was really high-level volleyball for us. 25% was really mediocre volleyball. Kudos to Oakland after being blowout in the first two sets. They responded and did great in the third set. We were thinking about what we were going to have for dinner. That being said, in the fourth set we played a really nice set of volleyball. I haven't looked at the passing numbers yet but I feel like it was one of our best matches. We were in system a bunch. That is why we were able to score in the middle with Meegan (Hart) and Dani (Price) as much as we did. I was joking with Justine (Spann) that she had a quiet 21 kills. I don't remember that many, but that is really good. 21 kills at a high percentage. I thought we limited our errors for most of the match and put a lot of pressure on them."

On Getting Ready For Tomorrow
"We have to recover tonight. We always talk about hydrating, sleeping, spending time with the training. Then we have to get up in the morning and watch film at 8:30. We'll have a pregame meal and play a match at noon and then another round of film and a match at 7:30. At this point we are used to what tournament weekends look like. It takes focus and effort to be prepared the way we need to be prepared."

On What Didn't Go Well In The Match
"I can give you like 17 things that didn't go well in that match. It is a function of focus. Very often you see four set matches with one team winning the first two, letting down in the third and coming back to win the fourth. That is kind of the human psychology of, how hard do I have to work to win? And then working exactly that hard. This was an opportunity for us to realize that is not going to make, and certainly not in our league. I didn't call a timeout in the third set because I wanted us to feel the pressure and work through it."

On What Was Working On Offense
"First of all, we passed extremely well. You could see them in the first two sets start to guess where Jenna (Ewert) was going. We set the middle three times and they would stay in the middle for the next three that would go to the outside. Jenna did a really good job of managing that part of our game. We served really well and got them a little out of system. Their outsides were struggling to score. We got a lot of blocks, but left a few on the table, but we got a lot of blocks with our right-side block. That is what we need to do day in and day out. It was good to see us compete at that level and set the standard. That is the standard. That is where we are and we can get better from there."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=13021

Highlights and press conference snippets-

Full press conference -

Agree on too many service errors. I have noticed in the matches I've been watching with other teams, they have what I think are too many service errors. Announcers seem to think that's part of high level volleyball and teams must take chances on the serve.

Watched Pitt beat Penn State at Penn State last night. That is tough to do.

Pitt has a nice program going. Beating Penn St 3-0 is hard to do. I also think a lot of the big 10 teams are a little over rated at this point.

Delayed start to the match (assume because prior match went 4 sets), but stream has now started, and teams are warming up. Intros are starting now, so match should be starting in 5 or so minutes.

1st set was a tough one but the Buffs pulled it out late after being down most of it. They're up 7-3 early in the 2nd. TO UMBC.

MUCH easier 2nd set as the Buff serve created all kinds of havoc for the Retrievers, and the Buffs own serve-receive improved a lot. Buffs up 2-0 after a 25-7 2nd set win.

With the exception of the 1st set, this is how I thought these 3 matches this weekend would go. At least they got the sweep and can now get ready for tonight's match.

I've got Stanford vs BYU on. It's tied at 1 set each. ETA: BYU beat Stanford 3-1

Last edited:
Pitt has a nice program going. Beating Penn St 3-0 is hard to do. I also think a lot of the big 10 teams are a little over rated at this point.

Agree that the B1G teams are overrated. We shall see where they are at the end of the season, when it matters.

a slow start but played better after the first set. Middles did another good job today and it seemed like they did not have as many service errors. It is nice when they can put in the bench. Nice serving by Demure at the end of the second set.

The Buffs starters (same as normal) are being announced now. so match should be starting momentarily.

Buffs up 14-8, as a pretty good looking (some very good looking digs and a couple rocket kills) Campbell team takes a timeout.

And it's a sweep! (Extra props to Justine Spann for this weekend, as the announcer mentioned she has been sick and only practiced one time this week, but was still the dominant kill-leader which will probably lead up to a possible/ probable tournament MVP honor.)

Back