What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- Volleyball scheduled to host ASU on Senior Weekend (Friday, 3/26, 7:00 PM MT and Sunday, noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs (6-10, 6-10) host ASU (5-11, 5-11) in their last scheduled home matches of the year, as they also hopefully get to recognize grad transfer middle blocker Rachael Fara in some sort of nice senior day*** ceremony on Sunday.

Both matches are scheduled to be covered by Buff-provided live streams.

***Of course, I hope the team is all about playing their hearts out with joy the rest of this season and continuing to improve, and I can't wait to hopefully (depending on my schedule) watch the last 4 matches of the season, but did want to highlight there might be some nice roster news for this coming fall's (hopefully more normal) 2021 season in the preview article. As also quoted below, it says "The Buffaloes (6-10 Pac-12) will celebrate one departing senior Sunday, graduate transfer Rachael Fara." If that sentence is complete and accurate, assume that must mean that starting outside hitter and Buff kill per set leader this season Leah Clayton, who is listed as a redshirt senior on this year's roster, is planning on staying at CU and playing next season!

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/24/volleyball-colorado-concludes-home-action-against-asu.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado women's volleyball finishes out the home portion of the 2021 spring schedule this Friday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at noon against Arizona State.

The Buffaloes (6-10 Pac-12) will celebrate one departing senior Sunday, graduate transfer Rachael Fara. The middle is currently second in the Pac-12 in hitting percentage at .407 and has an opportunity to make CU history and better Kelly Campbell's 1998 single season hitting percentage school record.

Colorado has shown it is a formidable opponent for anyone to face in Boulder with wins against No.12 UCLA, No.11 Utah and a 3-2 loss to No.10 Washington this season. CU is hitting .250 as a team at home in nine matches, averaging 13.3 kills per set, 1.52 aces per set and 2.42 blocks per set. Conversely, on the road the Buffs are hitting .129 in seven matches, averaging just 11.36 kills per set, 1.2 aces per set and 1.72 blocks per set.

SCOUTING THE SUN DEVILS

Arizona State (5-11 Pac-12) started out the season with the upset of the year, sweeping No.8 Washington in Seattle. After that they dropped five-straight to ranked teams, which strung together 10-straight losses that was finally ended in a five-set victory over Arizona at home. ASU has won four of its last five matches, only dropping a sweep at Stanford before taking down the Cardinal in five in the rematch. The Buffs are Sun Devils are 9-9 in the series standings.

Like CU, Arizona State has bounced around between the 5-1 and 6-2 with Ella Snyder leading the team with 408 assists while Shannon Shields has 144. Iman Isanovic is averaging 3.5 kills per set while teammate Marta Levinska has 3.06. Annika Larson leads the team with 247 digs (3.92 per set) while Kennedi Boyd is a force up front with 1.15 blocks per set.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on ASU:

Roster
- https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster
Stats - https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-volleyball/stats
Schedule - https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule
Their match preview article - https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/...-road-trip-to-colorado-awaits-sun-devils.aspx
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video (for both matches) -
Free live video stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs .
Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary

This one's tied at a set apiece after ASU took the opener 13-25 and the Buffs come back strong in the 2nd 25-16.

Another lopsided set (14-25), unfortunately this one to the sun devils, means this one is going 5.

Fun but nerve wrecking match to watch.

I did Jesse's Chalk Talk and he explained the numbers goals. Buffs were very close to hitting the numbers he thought they needed to win. The lopsided sets did play havoc with his numbers.

Hope tomorrow's match goes better after both coaches make adjustments today.

Article after yesterday's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/26/volleyball-buffaloes-serve-past-asu-in-five-setter.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado volleyball put down a season-best 13 aces Friday evening against Arizona State to seal a wild 3-2 (13-25, 25-16, 25-13, 14-25, 16-14) victory here.

CU (7-10 Pac-12) rallied twice after dropping huge sets in the first and fourth by 12 and 11 points, respectfully, to down the Sun Devils (5-12 Pac-12). The back-and-forth match never saw a set-point in jeopardy as the closest was eight points away in the second set.

Colorado was excellent from the service line in the winning sets, putting down 13 total aces as a team, the most since 2015. Jenna Ewert had a huge day with five aces while Katie Lougeay put down three in a single service run in the middle of the match.

The other key to success for the Buffaloes was distribution. Six Buffs took 15 or more swings and five of those hit for .260 or greater. Leah Clayton led the Buffs with 13 kills and a .297 hitting percentage while Elissa Alcantara had nine and a .294 percentage. Maya Tabron, Sterling Parker and Meegan Hart all added eight kills as well. Setters Ewert and Brynna DeLuzio kept ASU on their heels with 22 and 21 assists, respectfully. Clayton and Ewert both picked up double-doubles with 12 and 11 digs, respectfully.

On the defensive end, freshman Maya Tabron stepped up big with 13 digs. Alexia Kuehl led the team with three blocks.

ASU had a solid night as well, hitting .316 as a team behind Iman Isanovic's 18 kills and .255 hitting percentage. Marta Levinska added 15 kills while Roberta Rabelo had 14. The two teams rematch Sunday at noon in Boulder.

QUOTES

Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On The Match

"We're happy to get out of tonight with a win. It's rare to have a five set match where you would think it was competitive, but most of the sets weren't. Most of the sets were blowouts and that had to do with serving and passing. When we passed we won sets and when we didn't we lost sets. That's a young team that's getting better. They just had a win over Stanford last week and a win over Arizona. I think they have some young players that are learning what it's like in the Pac-12. I have a sense that they'll probably be better on Sunday after being here and playing in this arena. We'll have to regroup tomorrow, take a look at some of the things that we missed from a system standpoint, and be ready to go on Sunday."

On The Week

"It has been tough for everybody across the country and certainly in Boulder itself. We practiced on Tuesday and we spent some time talking about the event. We had some kids who were pretty shook up. As everyone knows who's been in Boulder, there's been appall over the town all week. You do your best to compartmentalize parts of your life when you're an athlete and sometimes it's really hard to do. It's been a rough year on top of that from a COVID standpoint. I can go on and on, but I think our kids are handling it and dealing with it as best as they can and trying to process things like that that are happening in our lives."

On The Season

"It's been a really strange year. I think when we were healthy in the early part of the year we were a little bit more dangerous. You've seen flashes of us being healthy in some matches here. We have a couple top-15 wins. It's not every year that happens. You look at the match at the end there and we had a bunch of freshmen and sophomores on the floor. I think it's been hard to sustain the level that we need on the floor, given kind of everything that's going on in their lives. I think we are getting better. I think we are understanding what we need to do. After the Arizona weekends, we talked about focusing on getting better for next year and what we need to do and how we're going to spend our remaining time that we get to play. I think the kids bought in really well. Our practices are great. Our energy is great. I think we're fighting. The short answer is yes, I think we're getting better."

On Leah Clayton Returning Next Fall

"Leah wants to return. We want Leah to return so that's our plan. Rachael's (Fara) graduating with a Master's in chemical engineering. She's already an adult, but moving into the adult world. Rachael is going to play on Sunday as banged up as she is, but we're going to send her out right."

On Serving

"I think we were, to be honest, pretty hot and cold. I thought the first set we did a really poor job from the service line and then we got better. From then on I thought a lot of people had a lot of really nice runs and it's hard for me to remember all of them. I thought Taylor deProsse came in several times and created some separation for us. Jill (Schneggenburger) at the end after being yanked in the first set comes in the fifth set and gets an ace right away. We understand that any team in the Pac-12, and that team for sure, we have to serve tough and get teams out of system to win matches. I was happy that after the first set we amped it up."

On Spreading Attacks Around

"I think the 6-2 creates that. It's hard to camp out on any one and I think when we passed well, we scored really well in the middle. That was one of our goals for this match was to get the middles more involved. I think we've done that even maybe a little bit more. Each set I think we have a different player who steps up which is good to see. Now, if every set every player stepped up we would be the team that we wanted to be."
"

Jesse did say on the Chalk Talk that Fara's shoulder is really bad but she is going to try and play tomorrow.

The Buffs can't convert their 1st 2 set points and actually face one against themselves after giving up 3 straight points, but then score 3 straight themselves to go up 2-0 with a 27-25 2nd set!

Last edited:
Happy Rachael was able to gut this match out! Buffs managed to win 3 close sets. Congrats!

Back