What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- Volleyball scheduled to open season hosting Oregon State (Friday, 1/22, 7:00 MT and Sunday, 11:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The volleyball team has it's delayed season openers this weekend as they host the Beavers at the Event Center. It's such a strange year where, heading into conference play, I know of maybe 3-4 players (or ~1/2 the starting rotation) I might be willing to guess who will be starting at a certain position, so many unknowns for the Buffs. Assume OSU fans may face even more uncertainty, as their roster shows 7 freshmen on their 11 person roster.

Note - For those not aware, this season's schedule features, with one exception***, all teams hosting both matches against an opponent to limit travel. (More info in the Volleyball off-season news thread at post #66 and beyond at https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/2019-20-off-season-buff-volleyball-news-awards.142284/page-3 .)
(***The Buff's designated Pac 12 "rivalry" series with Utah still shows as a home and home.)

Go Buffs!!!

There's no preview available as I type this. Buffzone has a general article (written by Brian Howell) on the Buffs heading into the season available at https://www.buffzone.com/2021/01/21/cu-buffs-volleyball-set-to-begin-delayed-season/ .
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A little more on the Beavers -

Roster - https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster
Stats - N/A- 1st match (Last season's at https://osubeavers.com/documents/2019/12/1/2019_OSU_Season_Stats.pdf?path=wvball)
Schedule - https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video
- Both matches are scheduled to be available on free live stream at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs .

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary

Game notes - Not available as I type this.

and, no fans.

I don't understand that. even when CU was ranked in VB a few years ago, maintaining social distancing at matches wouldn't have been a challenge. it makes zero sense to me to not allow the few hundred interested fans to attend. Hell, CU and the Pac12 are missing an opportunity to provide entertainment to people who would not normally attend VB, but have nothing else to do during Covid lockdown.

I think the no fans rule is a Pac 12 rule.

I just wish the match was not the same time as the women's basketball game.

I think the no fans rule is a Pac 12 rule.

I just wish the match was not the same time as the women's basketball game.

I'm not seeing the time conflict?

The bball game today is at 3:00; the vball game is at 7:00.

Sunday's games might conflict a little IF the vball game goes 4-5 sets, as it starts at 11:00 while bball is at 1:00.

Season opener day!

(Great to see this tweet, as I was getting nervous about potential pandemic issues with still no preview article out on cubuffs (looks like there may not be a preview article released for the 1st time I can remember for any team sport game/ match), and Oregon State hadn't tweeted out anything new until an hour or so ago.)

Last edited:
Some time the schedules came out, a time change occurred.

Perhaps I should have not watched the basketball game.

Some time the schedules came out, a time change occurred.

Perhaps I should have not watched the basketball game.

I was watching some other volleyball, and based on the box score, sounds like the bball game wasn't that pretty (yeesh- 25 TO's?).

Also glad I got to see the other vball games, as it usually takes me at least a match or two every season to remember (both intellectually and emotionally) the WILD momentum swings in volleyball; hopefully this will save me from a couple heart attacks tonight, or throwing anything at the TV (esp. after a service error or badly botched attack) as the Buffs start their season.

Must say it's also VERY strange, with no pre-season, not having really ANY idea the starting lineup. There's maybe 4-5 players I THINK will probably be in the starting lineup, but even a couple of those I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out some other player has been "Kicking A" in practice and has earned the start. (With the multiple options at pretty much every position outside of setter (only 2 options there) and lack of pre-season play, assume we may see different lineups from set to set (and if needed within a set).)

General note - Already one pretty big upset in the Pac 12, as predicted pre-season 2nd place finisher and nationally #8 ranked Washington got swept at home by ASU (picked 9th in the preseason poll).

Really on ASU?

I feel the same way with no pre-season and I wish I had watched volleyball instead of the WBB game.

So, it's starting with a 5-1, with Brynna Deluzio at libero. (My main question was if they were going to start in a 5-1 or 6-2.)

Buffs get a comfortable 25-16 set 1 win. Hope they keep it up!

Note- One negative tonight- thankfully there is a lot of depth at the position, but if I had to guess the most likely outside hitter to get a start this evening it would have been (prior to last season) transfer Leah Clayton. However, she's not in uniform tonight, although she is standing with her teammates. Hope whatever issues she's having are minor ones. (I don't see anything visible like a big cast or whatever on her to indicate a major injury, but it's often hard to tell.)

Last edited:
Much tighter 2nd set with the Buffs going down by 3-4 points at the mid point, but they come back and get a 25-23 win.

As might be expected with limited practice time and no non-conference matches, some rough patches, with especially serve-receive/ passing being troublesome at times.

nice win. They looked pretty good. Surprised because I missed that Danni Price is not on the team. Looked on the website not listed on the roster. Rachel Fara looked good in the middle. Having Brynna back helped the back end and all in all a very good start to the season.

The Buffs with a nice serve-receive game, and OSU hit a LOT of attacks out. Result- Buffs get the 1st 25-15.

Hope they keep it up!

Buffs going to have to bounce back from their 1st set loss of the young season, as the beavers get the 3rd 22-25.

Buffs come back, tightened up their play, and get the W (3-1) with a 25-16 4th set win.

Way to go Buffs!!!

Best wishes to the Beavers (picked to finish last in the Pac 12 in the pre-season coaches' poll). Hope their young team continues to improve and win many of their remaining matches.

Forgot to mention that for this match, as with Friday's, potential Buff starting outside hitter Leah Clayton wasn't in uniform (but was on the sidelines). With the Buffs having almost 2 weeks before their next match (after next week's scheduled opponent Stanford cancelled its 1st weeks of matches due to Covid-19 restrictions), hopefully whatever issue there is isn't that serious, and she'll be ready to go when Cal comes to town. (Thankfully, OH is a good depth area, so if she does need to miss time, looks like the Buffs are in good shape.)

Last edited:
Savannah Perry is on the roster but I didn't see her in the stats. I don't know if she was on the sidelines.

Savannah Perry is on the roster but I didn't see her in the stats. I don't know if she was on the sidelines.

Jessie said that Deluzio has separated herself from the group at libero. I think Perry and the others will be getting a lot less playing time with her back. I both matches, her play was talked about and how much of a leader she is on the floor

Back