What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Men's Golf 2019 fall and spring regular season 2020 seasons news and results (Spring season starts Feb. 6th)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Thought I'd start this consolidated pre- and regular-season thread now, as the team has released their schedule for the 2019/20 academic year.

Although the "real" NCAA and Pac 12 Championship season is in the spring, they compete in the same number of tournaments (not including post season) in the fall. I plan on us using this thread for all men's golf news and results until the Pac 12 championships get their own thread; they are scheduled for April 27-29 in Seattle.

Best wishes to the team for a great year!

Article on the schedule -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/8/8/cu-announces-2019-20-mens-golf-schedule.aspx

"
By: Curtis Snyder, Assistant AD/Communications
Release: August 08, 2019

BOULDER — The University of Colorado and men's head golf coach Roy Edwards announced the team's 2019-20 schedule Wednesday, and it features many familiar annual tournaments along with a couple of first-time affairs.

The Buffaloes are coming off what Edwards would call a transitional year, as several newcomers got their first consistent and extended competition; the team had lost three seniors who had played in almost all of CU's events over the previous two and three seasons. The end result was missing out on a berth into the NCAA Championships for the first time since 2012.

Colorado opens the season, its 107th competing as a varsity sport, once again down Interstate 25 in the Gene Miranda Air Force Falcon Invitational, Sept. 6-8. The Buffs are the defending champions in the event, which will be 16th time the Buffaloes open the fall season in AFA's annual tournament. CU has won the Falcon seven times.

"We want to compete against the best fields on the best courses is our scheduling philosophy," Edwards said. "This coming year's schedule reflects just that. It will provide a strong competitive challenge to the team, as will the goal of getting back to the NCAA's. We just missed last year after earning a bid six years in a row, and was want to rectify that. We're all looking forward to getting started at Air Force in September."

Next up will be the Maui Jim Intercollegiate in Scottsdale, Ariz., the first time Colorado will compete in the popular desert event (Sept. 13-15). Two weeks later, CU will participate in the New Mexico Tucker Invitational in Albuquerque (Sept. 27-28), as the Buffaloes, host New Mexico and New Mexico State are the only schools to have played in the previous 63 Tuckers.

The Buffaloes will host two tournaments in October, first the 10th annual Mark Simpson-CU Invitational at their home course, Colorado National Golf Club in Erie, on Oct. 7-8. The event honors Simpson, who coached the team for 29 years, from 1977 until his death in 2005. CU will be gunning for its seventh-straight win in its own tourney.

The fall schedule will conclude with the inaugural Les Fowler Invitational, a one-day, 36-hole event that will feature mostly Front Range schools on Oct. 21.

Colorado is scheduled to open its spring season for the 15th straight year on Hawaii's Big Island in the Amer Ari Invitational (Feb. 6-8); that follows an annual Alumni Match in Scottsdale in January at the Papago Golf Course. The Buffs finished 14th a year ago in Hawai'i, and with it being the first competition out of the gate every spring and it also being one of the strongest fields annually, CU has bounced around with its finishes, with its best showing a tie for fourth in 2017.

Five tournaments follow ahead of the Pac-12 Championships, set for April 27-29 in Seattle: The Troon Cup in Palm Desert, Calif. (Feb. 18, a match play event against an opponent to be determined); Wyoming's (Palm) Desert Intercollegiate (Feb. 21-23), the Lamkin San Diego Classic (March 9-10), Arizona's National Invitational Tournament in Tucson (March 16-17), Stanford's "The Goodwin" in Palo Alto (Mar. 26-28) and Wyoming's Cowboy Classic in Chandler, Ariz. (April 6-7). CU has played in all previously other than the Troon Cup.

The NCAA regionals are set for May 18-20 at six different sites: Auburn, Ala.; Baton Rouge, La.; Clemson, S.C.; East Lansing, Mich.; Norman, Okla.; and San Diego, Calif. Those six regionals will each send five teams on to the NCAA Championship Finals, which are set for May 29-June 3 in Scottsdale, Ariz., where Arizona State will host the meet at Grayhawk Golf Club.

Individuals who are not on the travel squad or who bounce back-and-forth will also play in some select other tournaments as long as they are within their competition day maximums to do so.

Missed that the men are playing their 1st tournament of the fall season, as they're participating at a Air Force Academy (AFA) hosted tournament running from this past Friday through today. I couldn't find a live leaderboard link, but per https://goairforcefalcons.com/documents/2019/9/7//GMFI_round_2.pdf , looks like the Buffs had the low round yesterday to move up to 2nd place, a couple strokes behind the AFA.

Congrats to the team for winning their tournament yesterday, Mr. O'Loughlin for sharing medalist honors, and Coach Edwards for the coaching milestone achievement!

Recap -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/10/8/...aight-simpson-cu-inivtational.aspx?path=mgolf

"
Golfers Win Eighth Straight Simpson-CU Inivtational

O'Loughlin shares medalist honors, Buffs tattoo record book

ERIE — The University of Colorado men's golf team came out firing on all cylinders Tuesday and made a few entries in the school's record book as the Buffaloes captured its own 10th Annual Mark Simpson-Colorado Invitational.

It marked the eighth straight year the Buffaloes have won or shared the title in the event, this being the sixth outright victory and second in a row. All five of CU's designated scorers finished in the top 20, and it was the first time in 11 years that as many as five Buffs finished under par in a tournament, as well as the first time ever that all five scorers did so.

The Buffaloes pulled away from the field in posting a tournament single round record of 15-under par 273, which also gave CU the meet record for the winning score at 35-under 829. That stands as the second-best score in relation to par in school history, just behind a 39-under par performance in 2008 at Denver's Ron Moore Invitational.

Grand Canyon took runner-up honors with an 839 score, followed by Wyoming (844), CSU-Fullerton (845) and Texas-Arlington (846) to round out the top five.

Senior Daniel O'Loughlin shared medalist honors with two others, as he closed with a 4-under 68 for a 12-under 204 total on the 7,703-yard, par-72 Colorado National Golf Club course layout. He birdied his last two holes to pull even with Grand Canyon's Michael Salazar and CSU-Fullerton's Jack Dyer; Salazar birdied the first playoff hole while the other two scored par to lay claim to the trophy for medalists as all three count it as a victory in college golf.

"My game was really, really good all three rounds, my long game especially good," O'Loughlin said. "For the most part, I gave myself a lot of chances, though today, I felt like I didn't give myself that many the first 12 or 13 holes. I was really pleased with how I finished today, with the three birdies on the last four holes (Nos. 15, 17, 18)."

"Everybody is excited to get this victory," CU head coach Roy Edwards said. "The team played really well from start to finish. I was really impressed with everyone's composure and patience. I thought we specifically did a good job of coming down the stretch to pull away. In particular, Adam Daniel and Ross – the way those three finished was very impressive."

That trio combined to play the last seven holes at 12-under par, all birdies and not a single bogey as CU held Grand Canyon at an arm's length, as its quintet played the back nine at 11-under overall.

"It was definitely a positive way to finish the team portion of the fall schedule," he continued. "It shows the guys that if they play with great course management and patience, along with a solid short game, we can be a great team. Hopefully this motivates us to work hard in the off-season to get ready for the spring."

This was the Buffaloes' 17th major tournament win under Edwards, as this win broke a tie with the late Mark Simpson, who saw his teams win 16 during his tenure as coach from 1977 until his death in 2005. Anyone who knew Simpson no doubt believes he would have been honored to see his record broken by his beloved Buffs winning the tournament named for him.

"To me, there's no greater person in Colorado golf history than Coach Simpson," Edwards said. "I'd like to believe the way this team won this tournament honors that legacy. The University of Colorado, its golf program, and college golf in general meant everything to Mark."

CU will close its fall season with the Les Fowler-CU Invitational on Oct. 21, a one-day, 36-hole tournament with 35 individuals set to compete at present (no team competition).
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Full final leaderboard - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/10/8//Mark_Simpson_Results_FINAL.pdf

Last edited:
Back