What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Monday CU Buff Bites - Buffs Win; Hawkins cheered; Pelini gambles and loses

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Ash Jackson

More photos » Doug Pensinger - Getty Images

1 day ago: BOULDER CO - NOVEMBER 20: A general view of the stadium as the Colorado Buffaloes face the Kansas State Wildcats at Folsom Field on November 20 2010 in Boulder Colorado. Colorado defeated Kansas State 44-36. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

Browse more photos »

Tell me what's wrong with this picture: Colorado beats K-State; CU's seniors are honored loudly and well; and Nebraska loses. What's wrong with this picture? Not a damn thing.

colorado_logo.png
Stewart, Buffs Run Over Kansas State - CUBuffs.com

"We're right where we hoped to be going into Nebraska," said Cabral, adding that by the time they leave for Lincoln on Thanksgiving Day, his players will be well-schooled on what "Big Red Week" has meant to the CU program. "The pride and tradition of this program is big, and they're starting to understand how big it is . . . . Every little piece of information I've given to our team about the pride and tradition, they're eating it up."...Stewart, who ran nearly the entire length of the field pumping his fist after throwing the TD pass, said that meant more to him than his career-best rushing total: "I might in the future have another big (rushing) game. But to throw a touchdown pass . . . that might never happen again." ...He's now carried 70 times in CU's last two games (36 last week against Iowa State, 34 against KSU), but said his legs were still fresh for the Huskers: "Yeah . . . give me 40 (carries) if you can."

..."I'm not a stinking offensive coordinator," he said. "We'll run it when we need to run it . . . we have to be smart as coaches (and) give ourselves a chance to win games." Defensively, CU was porous at times - and Cabral knows those holes won't go unnoticed by Nebraska. "We struggled at times," he said. "We struggled with the play-action pass . . . we could have done better, we could have done much better against the throwing quarterback (Carson Coffman), but when we needed it they got the job done." Indeed, the Buffs held Daniel Thomas, the Big 12's No. 2 rusher (116.8) to 58 yards on 14 carries. They also registered six QB sacks, sending their total in the past two games to 15.

colorado_logo.png
Cody Hawkins receives warm reception at Senior Day - The Longmont Times-Call

Colorado quarterback Cody Hawkins, who has been one of the most criticized players in recent Buffs history, received one of the loudest ovations when the 16 seniors were introduced before the game. There was a lot of discussion as to whether his father, Dan, would be on the field for Senior Day. He was there, along with the rest of the Hawkins family.The players wore leis that were a gift from B.J. Beatty's mother, Abby. Beatty was the first senior introduced, and after hugging his family, he sprinted to the other end of the field to find Dan and give him a hug and lei. Several other players also made a point of finding Dan and giving him a hug.

After the game, Cody was given the Buffalo Heart Award, an award from fans for the senior who best shows heart, grit, determination and desire during his CU career. Cody said he would have voted for Scotty McKnight, but said, "It means a lot just because I think there are a lot of fans out there that haven’t liked my family too much over the last couple years. I definitely didn’t expect it but it is nice to know that you have the respect of the fans just because they are out there every Saturday when you are and they see what you go through. It is nice knowing that you have their support."

With one regular season game to play, Cody has 7,246 passing yards and 657 completions in his career. He needs just 10 completions and 130 passing yards to break Joel Klatt's school records in those categories. Dan Hawkins, meanwhile, has found a side gig. He will appear on ESPN's show The Experts on Tuesday at 11 a.m.

colorado_logo.png
Colorado 44, Kansas State 36 " CU At the Game - A CU Football blog by Stuart Whitehair

The stars seemed aligned for the Buffs to play well against the Wildcats: the weather was cool (37 degrees), but sunny; the Buffs were on a high from winning their first game in the post-Dan Hawkins era; and it was Senior Day, with the players and fans pumped after a pre-game ceremony honoring the out-going seniors.So, naturally, the Buffs came out and fell flat.

With the 41,147 on hand (the students were out for Thanksgiving break, reducing the crowd size) shufflling nervously in their seats, the Buffs slowly, but quite assuredly, took control of the game. A victory over Nebraska in the Big 12 finale for both teams would make the Buffs bowl eligible. A victory would also put an end to one of the last specters hanging over the program from Dan Hawkins’ tenure – the three year long road losing streak.

When asked about the Buffs’ road woes, Cabral had a terse reply: "There are no road woes when you get ready for Nebraska."

colorado_logo.png
Cornhuskers dealing with QB injuries yet again | CollegeFootballTalk - Nebraska set school records for penalties - 16 for 145 yards, including 6 Personal Foul/Unsportsmanlike, and the loss kept Nebraska from clinching the Big 12 North title.

A 9-6 loss to Texas A&M Saturday that set offensive football back at least a decade was bad enough for Nebraska. Now, the Cornhuskers will be forced to deal with injuries to the quarterback position ahead of their regular-season finale....In the end, if Martinez is unable to recover sufficiently from the dreaded high-ankle sprain, it could very well be Cody Green starting under center against the Buffaloes.​
colorado_logo.png
Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman not happy with coach Bo Pelini - ESPN Dallas - Reading the quote in different articles, it really sounds like Nebraska is saying, "We're sorry our coach looked like a jerk on TV; we'll make sure that doesn't show up on camera next time."

Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman isn't happy with coach Bo Pelini's behavior. The game was televised on ABC, and Perlman said he felt uneasy about the numerous camera shots of Pelini's outbursts. "I think it was very unfortunate," Perlman said, "and I think it's something we'll have to address with Bo."​
Small-ball results, New Head Coach rumors, and our mention in ESPN, after the jump...

colorado_logo.png
I’m telling ya, this guy Jon Gruden might be in Buffs coaching mix | CollegeFootballTalk

Yes, we understand that this is likely a Minnesota-esque pipe dream, but I'm telling ya we've been waiting for this guy to come on somebody's radar for a job at the collegiate level so we could use that headline. And trust me, this guy is on somebody's radar. Well, at least for a minute he is.​
colorado_logo.png
Buffs Set For Nationals - CUBuffs.com - The University of Colorado cross country teams are prepped and ready to compete at the 2010 NCAA Cross Country Championship on Monday, November 22, in Terre Haute, Ind. The men are ranked No. 7 and the women are ninth.

colorado_logo.png
Buffs Fall in Overtime - CUBuffs.com

Alec Burks had 29 points and Cory Higgins added 28 points and eight rebounds for the Buffaloes (1-2). Higgins gave Colorado an 81-79 lead with 10 seconds left - the Buffaloes' first lead in OT - when he scored on a knifing fast-break drive and added the ensuing free throw.Doolin drove the length of the court and missed a wild runner, but Green grabbed the rebound and converted the putback with 2.4 seconds remaining. Colorado was judged by the officiating crew to have called timeout after Green's basket, but the Buffaloes had none remaining, so Williams was sent to the line, where he swished both.

colorado_logo.png
Fast Start, Strong Finish Eases Buffs Past Skyhawks - CUBuffs.com

"We haven't showed we can (hold onto a big lead) yet, but that's typical for this time of year," she said. "We haven't played a full 40 minutes yet, but I like our starts, though . . . I don't want to change how we're starting and how we're finishing. We just have to continue to work to put together a full game."​
colorado_logo.png
"How ’bout them Buffaloes!" " CU At the Game - A CU Football blog by Stuart Whitehair

Under the "The Next CU Head Coach …" heading at this website, we have taken a look at the resumes of over a dozen potential candidates to replace Dan Hawkins. It is time to add Brian Cabral to the list, if only for what has transpired over the past few weeks …- Colorado has scored 123 points in the past three games, the best such stretch since the Buffs posted 124 points in three games in 2002. The Buffs have scored in 12 straight quarters;

- Colorado set a season low for penalties against Kansas State (two for five yards), and had no turnovers; - Cody Hawkins has passed for three touchdowns in three consecutive games, a feat never before accomplished by a Colorado quarterback;

- Colorado had six sacks against Kansas State, after posting nine against Iowa State. Against the Wildcats, Josh Hartigan became the first Buff to record three sacks in a game since Abraham Wright had three against CSU in 2006; and

- Most importantly, Colorado won both games. The Buffs have now won consecutive Big 12 conference games for the first time since 2007, and two straight against Big 12 North fans since 2005. Buff players have had nothing but good things to say about Cabral, talking about how their new head coach has focused their attention on the history and tradition of Colorado football, and how important it is to live up to the high standards set by previous generations of players.

So, is Brian Cabral a legitimate candidate to keep the job as the head football coach at Colorado? Let’s take a look …

colorado_logo.png
What we learned in the Big 12: Week 12 - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Colorado is playing its best football of the season. Where did this come from? Beating Iowa State at home is one thing. Out-powering a physical Kansas State team is another. That's exactly what Colorado did, jumping out to a second-half lead on the back of Rodney Stewart and riding him to the finish line while Carson Coffman and the Wildcats had to sling it to play catch-up. Colorado is putting it all together under Brian Cabral, and now faces a monumental task, heading to Lincoln with bowl eligibility on the line for the Buffs, and the Big 12 North at stake for the Huskers.​
Go Buffs!

Originally posted by Ralphie Report
Click here to view the article.

Back