What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensively inept

What do you expect from a coach who's entire coaching toolbox contains just two sticky notes:

1.) One reads "defending"
2.) The other reads "rebounding"

I don’t know how the stats shake out but eye test tells me good defensive team but awful on the offensive side...turnovers and shooting percentage have to be off the charts...this team is way overrated..,don’t expect to see them ranked again.

Last edited:
Guards, guards, guards. . how about a "real" post player. Walton is going to be another Mills. . worthless. And in the face of huge turnovers the response is "but we find a way to win?!" Yeah. Winning is nice, but against teams you should beat the "win" should be quality. The Northern Iowa game was the worst performance of the year. . . and I'm a Northern Iowa grad!

toohip Walton isn't Mills, his biggest problem right now is mental. Are you expecting him to be ahead of how he was playing before this last injury? Tad is bringing him along just like he said preseason. Every season we as a board have this same conversation about Tad and the bad ball handling, inbound plays, offensive offense's'
Tad is who he is and the man doesn't look like he has any intentions of changing. My worry for Tad is when coach Tucker elevates his team to championship level, will RG at that time look at his own stated goals for the program. If he does I hope he apologizes to Tad for not having been able to financially support Tad as he would have liked and change is comming. Will Tad be willing to recruit, not cheat but become more relentless. Peer pressure amongst the coaches will be good for the Buffs programs.

Guards, guards, guards. . how about a "real" post player. Walton is going to be another Mills. . worthless. And in the face of huge turnovers the response is "but we find a way to win?!" Yeah. Winning is nice, but against teams you should beat the "win" should be quality. The Northern Iowa game was the worst performance of the year. . . and I'm a Northern Iowa grad!
Walton is far better than Mills could ever hope to be. He's a head case about his knees though. He had the same issue the first year he played for us after coming off surgery. He doesnt need the knee brace, and I'm 100% confident there are no restrictions in his knee. He has to get over the fear of injuring is knee again because he's too talented to be a guy who plays 4 minutes of ineffective basketball a night for this team.

toohip Walton isn't Mills, his biggest problem right now is mental. Are you expecting him to be ahead of how he was playing before this last injury? Tad is bringing him along just like he said preseason. Every season we as a board have this same conversation about Tad and the bad ball handling, inbound plays, offensive offense's'
Tad is who he is and the man doesn't look like he has any intentions of changing. My worry for Tad is when coach Tucker elevates his team to championship level, will RG at that time look at his own stated goals for the program. If he does I hope he apologizes to Tad for not having been able to financially support Tad as he would have liked and change is comming. Will Tad be willing to recruit, not cheat but become more relentless. Peer pressure amongst the coaches will be good for the Buffs programs.

Neither the men's or women's basketball programs have been supported financially to give the fans what we want.

Just referring to Walton, the guy is a bust already. Making excuse of his injury, he's had a year recovery. How much playing time has he gotten so far with the non-league schedule? Very few minutes. Look at his stats so far minutes, points, rebounds. Right now I'll say he's better than Mills, but lets see at the end of his career. He looks lost out there, looking where to go next, can't keep up with his opponent when defending, can't muscle out for rebounds. I had lots of hopes, and gave him pass his first year, now (his 3rd?), nada. I'm sure he "looked" good, as a 7 footer, but maybe the competition wasn't a good indicator for Arvada. I'll keep my mind open on him, but he has to get better. We need a BIG post player.

Walton is far better than Mills could ever hope to be. He's a head case about his knees though. He had the same issue the first year he played for us after coming off surgery. He doesnt need the knee brace, and I'm 100% confident there are no restrictions in his knee. He has to get over the fear of injuring is knee again because he's too talented to be a guy who plays 4 minutes of ineffective basketball a night for this team.
Well I don't know what's in his head and whether he worries about his knee. . you don't either. I think you're making excuses for him. Nothing wrong with wearing a brace. If you think wearing a brace on former injured knee is a sign of worry, I think you're wrong. It's could be just to protect it or reinforce it as it's still kind of healing. But the rubber meets the road by his performance, and it stinks from personal opinion, and his stats back that up. I'll still keep my opinion open, but he has what, 2 more years? Mills could at least contribute sometimes, Walton not, so far.

Neither the men's or women's basketball programs have been supported financially to give the fans what we want.
Well I'm not aware to this, but I've been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years, from Miller to Boyles, and I've seen my season ticket prices double in one year, and now exorbitant price. I've seen the game-perks, and the amenities of food service etc., decline. So I don't know where the $ is going, but I'm doubtful if this is contributing to season success?

Just referring to Walton, the guy is a bust already.... I had lots of hopes, and gave him pass his first year, now (his 3rd?), nada. I'm sure he "looked" good, as a 7 footer, but maybe the competition wasn't a good indicator for Arvada. I'll keep my mind open on him, but he has to get better. We need a BIG post player.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This criticism feels strange.

Walton was an under-recruited prospect who developed quickly into a promising player from year 1 to year 2, earning Most Improved Player award after his first full season. To consider him a Bust seems completely misdirected.

Currently he is recovering from serious injury, which clearly takes time especially with someone as tall as Walton. I'd recommend patience with Walton's return from injury before giving up on him.

Well I'm not aware to this, but I've been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years, from Miller to Boyles, and I've seen my season ticket prices double in one year, and now exorbitant price. I've seen the game-perks, and the amenities of food service etc., decline. So I don't know where the $ is going, but I'm doubtful if this is contributing to season success?
Who is Boyles?

Just referring to Walton, the guy is a bust already. Making excuse of his injury, he's had a year recovery. How much playing time has he gotten so far with the non-league schedule? Very few minutes. Look at his stats so far minutes, points, rebounds. Right now I'll say he's better than Mills, but lets see at the end of his career. He looks lost out there, looking where to go next, can't keep up with his opponent when defending, can't muscle out for rebounds. I had lots of hopes, and gave him pass his first year, now (his 3rd?), nada. I'm sure he "looked" good, as a 7 footer, but maybe the competition wasn't a good indicator for Arvada. I'll keep my mind open on him, but he has to get better. We need a BIG post player.
I don't know why you are down on Walton, as a 30 year fan seems you would understand that instead of developing his game this very TALL young man has been spending most of his time rehabbing. Tad was very clear in how he plans on being careful with Walton and his return, just an observation but the Buffs aren't the only team having trouble handling the ball this season. Share some of your frustrations with the program just not with the young man given his injuries, for myself I'm ralling behind him and still glad he's a Buff and will watch him grow as a player.

Walton is a "real" post. The problem is Tad doesn't really know how to develop players, or even coach this game. He is a "defending" and "rebounding" coach and there isn't much more in his coaching toolbox than that. There are Buffs in the Association that will share that the development in their game didn't come because of instruction or development they received at Colorado by this staff. They had to go and find development to improve their game to make it to that level on their own.

Chimezie Metu is in the Association now. Walton handled him just fine. Walton has all the potential you need from a big to even win the Pac-12. He's been unlucky medically. The issue with Walton is not his potential or talent, the issue with Walton like most CU players is the coaching he receives is from a staff that just doesn't comprehend how to develop basketball players.

Exorbitant? Have you looked at any other school?

Walton is a "real" post. The problem is Tad doesn't really know how to develop players, or even coach this game. He is a "defending" and "rebounding" coach and there isn't much more in his coaching toolbox than that. There are Buffs in the Association that will share that the development in their game didn't come because of instruction or development they received at Colorado by this staff. They had to go and find development to improve their game to make it to that level on their own.

Chimezie Metu is in the Association now. Walton handled him just fine. Walton has all the potential you need from a big to even win the Pac-12. He's been unlucky medically. The issue with Walton is not his potential or talent, the issue with Walton like most CU players is the coaching he receives is from a staff that just doesn't comprehend how to develop basketball players.
I rolled my eyes so hard at this that I am going to need medical attention to pull them out of my skull.

I continue to find it amazing how lucky Tad is.

I mean, we're talking about a guy who apparently can't recruit, can't develop players, can't do x's and o's and is a bad game day coach -- yet somehow he averages over 20 wins a year and has pretty much everyone who started for him playing professionally right now. I think I need to email Tad and ask him for advice on Powerball numbers.

wow. . must of struck a nerve with the Walton fans! How long does he get to "rehabilitate" that knee? Hasn't it been a year? OK, we'll see at the end of the season (long enough??) and re-evaluate his performance, and check back how much it's improved. Blaming the coach for Walton's skills, is a bit thin? I'm not down on Walton. I was really excited, but have seen nothing. . NOTHING . . so far. I'll keep my opinion open because of all these pro-Walton comments. Still a lot of season to go!

I continue to find it amazing how lucky Tad is.

I mean, we're talking about a guy who apparently can't recruit, can't develop players, can't do x's and o's and is a bad game day coach -- yet somehow he averages over 20 wins a year and has pretty much everyone who started for him playing professionally right now. I think I need to email Tad and ask him for advice on Powerball numbers.

He just got lucky because he coaches in the Pac12, sure he set a school record for wins his first year at CU in the Big 12. You have to remember that there are a lot of coaches in the sucky Pac12 who can't get 20 wins or beat Tad, but those are just facts that take away from the important argument that Tad can't coach.

Last edited:
wow. . must of struck a nerve with the Walton fans! How long does he get to "rehabilitate" that knee? Hasn't it been a year? OK, we'll see at the end of the season (long enough??) and re-evaluate his performance, and check back how much it's improved. Blaming the coach for Walton's skills, is a bit thin? I'm not down on Walton. I was really excited, but have seen nothing. . NOTHING . . so far. I'll keep my opinion open because of all these pro-Walton comments. Still a lot of season to go!
I was on Walton as a recruit and lobbied for him when very few people had him on their radar. It's just hard to find legit 7 footers with shooting touch, a solid frame and enough athleticism to get up and down the court.

When he was healthy as a RS-Frosh, I was critical of his rebounding. I thought his presence in the post helped with FG% defense. I thought he improved over the course of that season and became good at not giving deep post position, got better at all the fundamental things on offense (setting good screens, passing well for a big from the high or low post, getting good post position and giving a good target, etc.). I love his work ethic. He plays hard on the court and no one outworks him in the weight room.

So far this year he has looked rusty and tentative. I'm willing to be patient with him to see if he breaks through, because if he does then it makes us better and more matchup proof. He doesn't look explosive so far, but I think his struggles are more mental than physical right now. It's not that he is recovering from "a" knee surgery, it's that he's recovering from his 4th knee surgery and he isn't trusting his body.

I've been a fan on the men's side since the end of the Walseth era and on the women's side since Day 1 of the program. I am speaking about salaries. CU doesn't pay either Tad or JR the kind of money that will produce championships.

"Boyles", huh?

I'm no longer a season ticket holder because I have not lived in Colorado for over 10 years.

Athletic directors get the kinds of teams they are willing to pay for. Coach Barry said long before she retired that the practice facility (if it ever came) would be after she had retired. She was right.

Until yesterday, your previous last post was January 2018. Think you can go back to what you were doing and give us another two year break?

On a serious note (although I am serious about my above request) coming in and slamming a player about his injury recovery is pretty ****ed up. Being a dick is allowed, just don’t be such a ****ing dick, you 30-year-season-ticket-holding-blue-hair, probably showing up at halftime and leaving with 5 minutes left to beat the lines and traffic.

I was probably one of the most critical posters when it came to recruiting Walton, and still am not as high on him as many others here, but that was a no brainer scholarship offer. A 7 footer with promise whose biggest negatives were injuries. You bring him in, hope for the best, and if he can’t make it you medically retire him - he gets to get his degree and we get the scholly back. As for him not showing much this year, he hasn’t had the opportunity to nor have we needed him. Have we played a bruising front court yet? No. Should he be getting the minutes from Battey, Bey or Lucas? No.

I was probably one of the most critical posters when it came to recruiting Walton, and still am not as high on him as many others here, but that was a no brainer scholarship offer. A 7 footer with promise whose biggest negatives were injuries. You bring him in, hope for the best, and if he can’t make it you medically retire him - he gets to get his degree and we get the scholly back. As for him not showing much this year, he hasn’t had the opportunity to nor have we needed him. Have we played a bruising front court yet? No. Should he be getting the minutes from Battey, Bey or Lucas? No.

To my eye, Walton's been more and more active over the course of the season. Tad has stuck to his script and only played him about 6 minutes a game, usually in the first half. I think he's put him in during the second half for a few minutes recently. His offensive touch hasn't returned, but he's getting better defensively and on the boards.

I was on Walton as a recruit and lobbied for him when very few people had him on their radar. It's just hard to find legit 7 footers with shooting touch, a solid frame and enough athleticism to get up and down the court.

When he was healthy as a RS-Frosh, I was critical of his rebounding. I thought his presence in the post helped with FG% defense. I thought he improved over the course of that season and became good at not giving deep post position, got better at all the fundamental things on offense (setting good screens, passing well for a big from the high or low post, getting good post position and giving a good target, etc.). I love his work ethic. He plays hard on the court and no one outworks him in the weight room.

So far this year he has looked rusty and tentative. I'm willing to be patient with him to see if he breaks through, because if he does then it makes us better and more matchup proof. He doesn't look explosive so far, but I think his struggles are more mental than physical right now. It's not that he is recovering from "a" knee surgery, it's that he's recovering from his 4th knee surgery and he isn't trusting his body.
That's what sucks, that trust has to be there. Makes it pretty hard to play when it isn't.

Until yesterday, your previous last post was January 2018. Think you can go back to what you were doing and give us another two year break?

On a serious note (although I am serious about my above request) coming in and slamming a player about his injury recovery is pretty ****ed up. Being a dick is allowed, just don’t be such a ****ing dick, you 30-year-season-ticket-holding-blue-hair, probably showing up at halftime and leaving with 5 minutes left to beat the lines and traffic.
Take a pill Ruckus. We can disagree, without making personal attacks (since you're a paid member, no use reporting your personal attack and abuse ;o). How long you been a CU men's basketball season ticket holder? Me, over 30 years. Doesn't make me more knowledgeable, but does make me more "experienced?" and while I don't spend all my time here, I just wanted to see what other thought about Walton. LOL now I do! It's not an opinion contest here. It's an opinion forum. I'm just expressing my disappointment in Walton, who I had I regard for, and gave him a pass on his first year. And so far, I'm not seeing improvement or playing time. I'll keep optimistic about him, but probably not much hope for you improving . . . ;o)

Last edited:

I "hear you" . . nik. Again, let me rinse, repeat. I had/have high hopes for him to, but so far haven't seen anything. And the fact Boyle (did I spell it correctly this time, anal types??). . isn't giving him playing time, especially in close games. . IMO. . says something? Work ethic, attitude means a lot, but the "end justifies the means" means . "performance. Let's keep hope alive!

Back