What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Sure hope RG doesn’t lure someone else’s head coach here. We’d look like a bunch of effing hypocrites if we were cheering about the new guy.
Again, it wasn't jumping after one season that was the issue with Tucker. It was the disingenuous way he handled it, shooting down the rumors, reaffirming the public (and his team) through Twitter and a media blitz, along with booster events just hours before taking the deal. Not to mention the rumors out there that he took the call from MSU/his agent in the car after said booster event with Lance Carl right next to him.

Just because it’s so late in the game for a coach and he’s the hot name right now. The other options we’ve seen to me look awful. Seems like it’s his to lose which I’m just not excited about.

Which options look awful?

Why does he seem like the only option?
Definitely not the only option, but if Grinch is a target and says no because he's holding out for something bigger, and Sark's issues are a non-starter for RG and LC, then he might be the best option.

You've been awfully quiet on your preferred choices, outside of Grinch. Realistically, who would you like to see?

Edit: I saw your list in the other thread. Who would be a 4th or 5th guy for you?

Definitely not the only option, but if Grinch is a target and says no because he's holding out for something bigger, and Sark's issues are a non-starter for RG and LC, then he might be the best option.

You've been awfully quiet on your preferred choices, outside of Grinch. Realistically, who would you like to see?

Grinch or bust for me. A lot of guys who just cause indifference and a few who would be terrible.

We literally know almost nothing about the coach search.

Exactly.

There is a media echo chamber that has people spinning names but we know virtually nothing as to what RG or LC are going to do. Last time around there was no talk of Tucker before they hired him. There is a huge pool of candidates that far exceeds the half a dozen or so names that we’ve locked onto so far.

There are clear and legitimate reasons that make Bieniemy a real candidate. Just about any other coach is a speculative guess.

Grinch or bust for me. A lot of guys who just cause indifference and a few who would be terrible.
I think CU-caliber programs are about the best Grinch can do right now. Maybe he's banking on turning the OU defense around this season and parlaying that into a bigger gig? If he turned down WSU already, I'm not confident he would all of the sudden jump to CU.

I think CU-caliber programs are about the best Grinch can do right now. Maybe he's banking on turning the OU defense around this season and parlaying that into a bigger gig? If he turned down WSU already, I'm not confident he would all of the sudden jump to CU.
Could have been fit too. Wazzu should stick with the Air Raid emphasis

i have trepidation about EB for the Embree years....but, objectively speaking, there's a lot to like by possibly hiring the OC of the Super Bowl champs....who can recruit with names like Adrian Peterson and Pat Mahomes in his pocket. I like the idea of Sarkisian more and more but, still, also concern. However, could be a lot of "value" there. Grinch has a lot of positives but seems pre-mature to me. times i saw OU last season the D looked pretty good against OOC....and less so as the conference season went on. but, Big XII gonna Big XII.

i guess we'll see.

The WSU job was not nearly the job that CU is. Leach overachieved so much that following him would be inadvisable.

CU has better athletes in place and has many things in place to make this a launching pad, rather than a career ended that WSU could be.

Could have been fit too. Wazzu should stick with the Air Raid emphasis
But it was his time as DC in WSU that got him where he is today. Not saying it's correlated to the Air Raid or that he wouldn't have been good regardless, but I wouldn't think that would matter. Then again, maybe he doesn't care to go back to Pullman.

The one thing that consoles me right now is that whoever we hire, I know RG is going to properly value recruiting chops. We may not get a Tucker level recruiter (although he didn't blow me out of the water despite his rep, but that may have been his staff), but we sure as hell are not going to get a guy like MM or HaLk.

Which options look awful?

I can’t remember all the names I’ve seen. Calhoun isn’t a fit and he should stay at AF, I don’t think Bienemy is the guy and I just haven’t seen a name yet that inspires confidence. I know we’re not doing the search or deciding the candidate so we know nothing about what’s going on. But if we didn’t talk about all this we’d have nothing to talk about.
We literally know almost nothing about the coach search.

I’m aware but talking in hypotheticals is all we have unless we decide to just not talk about it.

Give me Ryan Walters over EB if we're going to the alumni well. But I agree that there hasn't been a name that blows me away, which makes me think it could be Chiv.

i liked Calhoun after the Hawkins firing, as a possibility (and more than JE, really). not so much, now. they had a good season last year and beat us, obviously. even still, i don't think his star is in ascension.

Sarkisian should definitely be the hire. If he'll take it. He's young, charismatic, experienced in the Pac-12, familiar with the west coast, seasoned under Saban and in the NFL and a strong recruiter. He's had big time jobs before. He might jump at it as a second (and maybe last) chance after his problems with alcohol. While there is obviously risk in light of his problems, there is nothing about him that should make him ineligible for a second chance. Many people fight alcoholism, get on track, get sober, stay sober and succeed. It's a chance to have a great redemption story. Maybe he could serve as an example to the student body about the dangers of excessive drinking. The contract could be structured to protect CU in the event of a relapse and he would probably accept a higher buyout number to take the opportunity. Let's do this.

If what I saw here about Eric needing time to think about doing it/put together a staff is accurate, let's talk to some other guys. Sark, Blake Anderson (made an argument for him in his thread in the coaching bazaar), Chev, and Alex Grinch.

If we hire someone like Ryan Walters without HC experience any chance you think we could pull Chris Peterson out of retirement to be an OC/ QB coach. Pay him $1.5 mil with no fund raising, PR, recruiting Responsibilities except to recruit 1QB a year. Just enjoy coaching football. He probably should have come to Boulder years ago anyway.

Back