What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

BS. They have cut the nuts out of this program since Barnett
96 Buff said:
The "academic elites" thing is a laughabke boogeyman made up by conservatives over the years. The College of Arts & Sciences, for example, cares as much about the football team as the football team cares about a CU professor winning another Nobel prize.
(The quoted reply is upside down, and I can’t fix it. Sorry.)

There is nothing “elite” about the dips***s who have screwed up CU—both academically and athletically. As 96 Buff points out, the term “academic elite” is nothing more than dog-whistle call-to-arms for the anti-intellectual, anti-science crowd.

All of which has nothing to do with the discussion of the middling, old administrative idiots like PhilD who have peter-principled themselves into lengthy stays in positions of power, while tearing down both academia and athletics.

Of course, professors and “academics” are going to want resources to allow them to do their jobs. Um. Teaching and research are sort of the… Um…. Essence? of what a University is supposed to be. There is nothing “elitist” about that. Everyone wants their job to be prioritized and properly funded. If you aren’t fighting for that, you simply don’t care about the underlying purpose of what you are doing—teaching and expanding knowledge.

Good administrators figure out how to deal with all of that, smartly, balancing the competing interests pulling in different directions. That’s the WHOLE and ONLY point of administration—management and development of resources. The problem is that CU has had HORRIBLE management.

The point of the “academic elite” dog-whistle is to conflate people doing the actual academic work and teaching with those who—very often—are entirely mismanaging it all. It is a political strategy designed—entirely—to overcome the fact that those who read and research are “dangerously” well-equipped to subvert a particular form of opportunistic demagoguery.

All of which has nothing to do with football

Last edited:

There is nothing “elite” about the dips***s who have screwed up CU—both academically and athletically. As 96 Buff points out, the term “academic elite” is nothing more than dog-whistle call-to-arms for the anti-intellectual, anti-science crowd.

All of which has nothing to do with the discussion of the middling, old administrative idiots like PhilD who have peter-principled themselves into lengthy stays in positions of power, while tearing down both academia and athletics.

Of course, professors and “academics” are going to want resources to allow them to do their jobs. Um. Teaching and research are sort of the… Um…. Essence? of what a University is supposed to be. There is nothing “elitist” about that. Everyone wants their job to be prioritized and properly funded. If you aren’t fighting for that, you simply don’t care about the underlying purpose of what you are doing—teaching and expanding knowledge.

Good administrators figure out how to deal with all of that, smartly, balancing the competing interests pulling in different directions. That’s the WHOLE and ONLY point of administration—management and development of resources. The problem is that CU has had HORRIBLE management.

The point of the “academic elite” dog-whistle is to conflate people doing the actual academic work and teaching with those who—very often—are entirely mismanaging it all. It is a political strategy designed—entirely—to overcome the fact that those who read and research are “dangerously” well-equipped able to subvert a particular form of opportunistic demagoguery.

Sanders is all about his players attending class and graduating. Jackson St I believe has a 90% graduating rate which is tops in its conference.

Plus media. Plus he’s super charismatic. Plus he succeeded as a professional in two sports.

It really isn’t hard to see why he resonates with kids.
I think we can probably remove your “one of the” clause from your statement.

I’m having a hard time thinking of someone that surpasses him.

Yep. I had Bo in my mind. But did not extend to coaching.

Saw Bo play left field at Miss State. Thighs were popping out of uni. Rednecks calling him Buckwheat. Left field lounge was rough back in the day.
Aftershow Molly Bernard GIF by YoungerTV

I think we can probably remove your “one of the” clause from your statement.

I’m having a hard time thinking of someone that surpasses him.

Depends on how you define high profile but I think Jordan and LeBron need a mention. And of course this is US only.

The point of the “academic elite” dog-whistle is to conflate people doing the actual academic work and teaching with those who—very often—are entirely mismanaging it all. It is a political strategy designed—entirely—to overcome the fact that those who read and research are “dangerously” well-equipped to subvert a particular form of opportunistic demagoguery.

Lol.

>CU Fans: we need to let more athletes into school that don't meet CU's academic standards. The transfer regulations need to be lowered.

>Same CU Fans: the "academic elite" is an alt right neo Nazi conspiracy theory dog-wistle

Morons

Watching Oregon State rebuild and it's really the formula I'd prefer (normally).

Must have been a successful coordinator.
Prefer ties to the University, for longevity.
Just a really good Nuts & Bolts type coach (Coach Smith at OSU).

Rarely have I seen a "recruiter" succeed if he's not been a successful coordinator prior.

But I don't know that the world has seen a guy like Prime.
He may not be able to coach at a high level, which is why a lot of programs would shy away.
But he does seem to be very discipline oriented and command respect. Most "recruiters" are more about buds than respect.

I have been hammering on other attributes that I think are the way you build something.
Oregon State right now exemplifies it to a T. They were almost as low as us recently. We beat them last year in fact.
But I throw all the attributes and formulas out the window for Prime. If not Prime, there's other good choices, but nobody will like them!

The thing I like about Prime is the amount of positivity I have seen from former players for him becoming coach. Especially from those that were way past his era. This tells me that 1 they think he has the cache to bring us back, and 2 they know he is a good coach. I have never before seen such positivity from the NFL buffs.

Lol.

>CU Fans: we need to let more athletes into school that don't meet CU's academic standards. The transfer regulations need to be lowered.

>Same CU Fans: the "academic elite" is an alt right neo Nazi conspiracy theory dog-wistle

Morons
Fascinatingly cherry-picking, unrelated straw-man juxtaposition of assertions while ignoring the inherent modern disconnect between athletic "transfers" and the academic standing of universities to which they are accepted--not to mention the ability of schools like Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and many others to surpass CU in both academics and transfer athletes--suggests that your view of the world is far more moronic than those you seek to chide.

And yes, the term "academic elite" absolutely arose from the right-wing echo chamber, that's not even subject to debate. The fact that you immediately equate that with Neo-Nazi's says far more about the present state of the right-wing than the fact that the rest of us noticed the development of the term and its intended implications.

Take it easy snowflake. No dog whistle here.

By academic elite, I mean “elitist.” Our elites think they are pretty special despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Fascinatingly cherry-picking, unrelated straw-man juxtaposition of assertions while ignoring the inherent modern disconnect between athletic "transfers" and the academic standing of universities to which they are accepted--not to mention the ability of schools like Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and many others to surpass CU in both academics and transfer athletes--suggests that your view of the world is far more moronic than those you seek to chide.

And yes, the term "academic elite" absolutely arose from the right-wing echo chamber, that's not even subject to debate. The fact that you immediately equate that with Neo-Nazi's says far more about the present state of the right-wing than the fact that the rest of us noticed the development of the term and its intended implications.
The Simpsons GIF

Back