What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I agree we'll land a decent coach, just not from the list people seem to be throwing around. We're not getting a Chryst, Herman, Peterson, Mendenhall, etc. These are guys who if they choose to take a position are not going to wade into the quicksand that is our program. They'll take RGs call then turn around and reach out to their individual coaching and media networks which will tell them to run away as fast as they can. They will then politely decline. A G5 HC or P5 Coordinator is where we'll land.

This take possibly underestimates the egos of football coaches.

After reading through all the threads, I still believe this year sets up well to be looking for a head coach. There are a lot of good candidates out there, and while CU may not be in the first tier of openings, that first tier looks pretty shallow, maybe 6-8 spots. CU can and should land a good coach.
It’s early October, there will be many more openings as the season goes on.

But this got me thinking, who are the candidates that will be top of the list for the best HC opportunities this year? Like if one or two blue-chip jobs open who will be the targets? Think of this as the no-hoper pool for CU. Campbell and Fickell seem to be regulars on this list though ISU has come back to earth some. PJ Fleck? Todd Monken? Leipold? Deion? Maybe Aranda or Chris Peterson? Seems like not as many top line names this year.

But this got me thinking, who are the candidates that will be top of the list for the best HC opportunities this year? Like if one or two blue-chip jobs open who will be the targets? Think of this as the no-hoper pool for CU. Campbell and Fickell seem to be regulars on this list though ISU has come back to earth some. PJ Fleck? Todd Monken? Leipold? Deion? Maybe Aranda or Chris Peterson? Seems like not as many top line names this year.
Fleck likes what he has at Minnesota and if a situation were to arise, they would open the bank for him. Leonhard will 100% get the Wisconsin job. Deion + Boulder = Hahahahaha! Leipold will get whatever he wants. I would take Aranda or Peterson in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Fleck likes what he has at Minnesota and if a situation were to arise, they would open the bank for him. Leipold will 100% get the Wisconsin job. Deion + Boulder = Hahahahaha! I would take Aranda or Peterson in a heartbeat.
Deion isn’t coming to Boulder, but he’ll get looks from other programs. And I gotta believe the Wisconsin job is Leonhard’s to lose.

It doesn't fit. I can't imagine CU all of a sudden doing business like USC under Pete or LSU under Miles/O. What makes him great is what we'd hamstring, and he's not great at a lot of the other stuff. Hiring O and not getting top 20 recruiting classes while not killing it in the portal would be a disaster.
Ya admin would immediately need to fix transfer requirements (they honestly need to for any coach), but he has what RG has stated are the important qualities he’s looking for

Old HC who Rick will hire:
Brady Hoke (maybe a better job)
Clay Helton/Tyson Helton
Jeff Tedford
Gus Malzahn (maybe a better job)

HC Rick should hire:
Curt Cignetti
Jeff Traylor

I agree we'll land a decent coach, just not from the list people seem to be throwing around. We're not getting a Chryst, Herman, Peterson, Mendenhall, etc. These are guys who if they choose to take a position are not going to wade into the quicksand that is our program. They'll take RGs call then turn around and reach out to their individual coaching and media networks which will tell them to run away as fast as they can. They will then politely decline. A G5 HC or P5 Coordinator is where we'll land.
The playbook calls for taking RGs call then turning that into a better offer elsewhere.

Urban Meyer could be coaxed out of the TV studio with an offer from a good program. He would be your #1 available coach, even if you don’t like him.

try again:

Animated GIF

I can promise one thing. It’s going to be an over the hill former HC who nobody else wants.

Bill Obrien and Ed O, while big names, feels like les miles at Kansas.
Ed O isn’t going to be a HC ever again. Bill O’Brien is the OC for one of the best offenses in college football. He’s been baptized by Saban. He will have many opportunities to coach. He is very likely going to be a success wherever he chooses.

Herman, Bronco….. good choices. i don’t think they’re unrealistic, depending on what CU offers. i like Coaches who are active on the sidelines, engaged in the game.

At first I thought it was a joke it now I see actually serious about hiring Frost in some capacity.
To these folks all I can say is pls get back on your meds!🙄
hire him as the drug and alcohol counselor at CU.

I want to turn on the cold showers for Tom Herman, who seemed like a good but not great fit at Texas. His ability to recruit Texas' halfway-decent players was LOW. He lost 9-of-10 recruits to OU and texAgs, and he'd end up with 2-3 stars instead the 4-5 star recruits. Then his assistant coaches were not well skilled at player development. Or, not in the couple of years they wandered in and out. Herman does not have strong Texas ties so for someone thinking Herman might bring in a horde of Texas recruits, maybe they need to append "GOOD Texas recruits" and that answer would be, "Never did that for UT."

As for Deion Sanders, please... no... he's a walking scandal page. Heck, he's the whole magazine. From his pension-fund scandals on his Dallas-area "charter school scam" to his Dallas-to-Irving NW Highway strip-clubs, he's got soooo many links to the nether regions. In this day and age when players are now eligible for some level of payoffs, his versions will be ruinous.

I want to turn on the cold showers for Tom Herman, who seemed like a good but not great fit at Texas. His ability to recruit Texas' halfway-decent players was LOW. He lost 9-of-10 recruits to OU and texAgs, and he'd end up with 2-3 stars instead the 4-5 star recruits. Then his assistant coaches were not well skilled at player development. Or, not in the couple of years they wandered in and out. Herman does not have strong Texas ties so for someone thinking Herman might bring in a horde of Texas recruits, maybe they need to append "GOOD Texas recruits" and that answer would be, "Never did that for UT."

As for Deion Sanders, please... no... he's a walking scandal page. Heck, he's the whole magazine. From his pension-fund scandals on his Dallas-area "charter school scam" to his Dallas-to-Irving NW Highway strip-clubs, he's got soooo many links to the nether regions. In this day and age when players are now eligible for some level of payoffs, his versions will be ruinous.
No one is suggestion Deion.

But I’m curious about your comments on Herman’s recruiting. His 2017 and 2021 classes were partial because of the timing of his hiring and firing, but still his recruiting classes looked stellar on paper - national class rankings below:

2017: #25
2018: #3
2019: #3
2020: #9
2021: #15

And almost 70% of his recruits during his tenure were from Texas, so what am I missing?

But I’m curious about your comments on Herman’s recruiting. His 2017 and 2021 classes were partial because of the timing of his hiring and firing, but still his recruiting classes looked stellar on paper - national class rankings below:

And almost 70% of his recruits during his tenure were from Texas, so what am I missing?

You're missing nothing. That narrative was made up.

WTAF are you talking about?

Herman's classes at composite rankings at 247:

#25 (transition class), #3, #3, #8.

back to back top 3 classes is a heck of an achievement.

Old HC who Rick will hire:
Brady Hoke (maybe a better job)
Clay Helton/Tyson Helton
Jeff Tedford
Gus Malzahn (maybe a better job)

HC Rick should hire:
Curt Cignetti
Jeff Traylor
There are a lot of good coaches there. But I would also suggest that CU needs to hire a guy who is age 50 or less if possible. The key to this job is going to be relentless recruiting and program rebuilding. Even if a guy has been a successful coach his entire career, one's enthusiasm and energy for recruiting and rebuilding a program is going to suffer once he reaches age 50 to 55. Only rarely will you see exceptions to that rule.

That 2017 class wasn't really his.

I just went through the 247 database and he didn't sign a single 2* player. BuffaloChuck's post couldn't have been more wrong.

Y'all are too optimistic when you're thinking of people with P5 HC experience. I want to believe that this means people like Herman, Peterson, Mendenhall, Rhule, or Chryst.

What this actually means is people like Mora, Mark Helfrich, or Butch Jones.

:sick:
Nah. If a guy like Herman or Mendenhall can get certain conditions guaranteed in writing, this is still a good place. The issues are foundational, but a coach with some leverage can use that to his advantage.

Nah. If a guy like Herman or Mendenhall can get certain conditions guaranteed in writing, this is still a good place. The issues are foundational, but a coach with some leverage can use that to his advantage.
Depends on who's making those decisions. Has anything structurally changed yet?

Depends on who's making those decisions. Has anything structurally changed yet?
No. But I believe two things: One, RG would sell his sister to get a good football program here and if he genuinely thought that hiring Tom Herman would get him there, and that providing written guarantees was a way to get Herman to take the job, he’d do it; two, PD is so checked out at this point that he won’t put up much of a fight.
I’ll add one more; if PD does put up a fight, I think it’s entirely plausible that RG would go over his head to Saliman to get the concessions he feels he needs.

There are a lot of good coaches there. But I would also suggest that CU needs to hire a guy who is age 50 or less if possible. The key to this job is going to be relentless recruiting and program rebuilding. Even if a guy has been a successful coach his entire career, one's enthusiasm and energy for recruiting and rebuilding a program is going to suffer once he reaches age 50 to 55. Only rarely will you see exceptions to that rule.
No Boomers!!

BuffaloMikeSanford uh I mean BuffaloChuck. This Herman recruiting takes are completely false.

nobody on this board seriously thinks Deion is coming here. Neither do the national guys since he not included in a single list I have seen.

Back