What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official In-home Visits Thread

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
The coaches will be out and about the next two weeks during a NCAA-designated contact period. Between now and December 14th, coaches are allowed to make in-person visits to recruits at home and/or school. This is mostly to lock up the current class, but you will also see new offers to underclassmen.

Every commit and target will typically get a visit from their primary recruiter and Tucker. Those visits may be separate or together, but Tucker only gets to visit each prospect once. For other recruits, you might see multiple coaches visit as well.

Edit: Can Martzen (Director of Player Personnel) recruit on the road without taking someone else off?

He isn't recruiting. He is accompanying Tucker. I am assuming he is acting as his admin / personal assistant keeping him on schedule and apprised of details and changes. Good business practice to take your top admin/manager on the road with you to handle the details while you focus on closing deals.

He isn't recruiting. He is accompanying Tucker. I am assuming he is acting as his admin / personal assistant keeping him on schedule and apprised of details and changes. Good business practice to take your top admin/manager on the road with you to handle the details while you focus on closing deals.

That’s not a commercial flight either.

Not sure that is allowable. Martzen is probably just on the road in place of someone else.

Looks like a pitstop for HCMT on the way through Memphis

Once homeless, Raheem Shabazz transformed into most prominent trainer in Memphis
And then there’s Penny. From afar, Penny Hardaway had observed Shabazz through his work with the Lawsons. He was impressed by the transformation of their bodies and the way it improved their on-court performance, so he told his assistant to make a phone call.

“The day he walked through the door at Lausanne I couldn’t believe it,” Shabazz said. “I was star-struck but I had to play it cool.”

His goal was to treat Hardaway like any other client, charging him the same $50 per session that he does for all pro athletes. Hardaway noticed.

“He impressed me that he didn’t try to go overboard,” Hardaway said. “That he didn’t try to bump the price up more because it was me.”

Since March, Shabazz has helped Hardaway drop 17 pounds to get within a whisper of his playing weight in the NBA. They work out multiple times each week, including a pool workout at Hardaway’s house on Fridays.

They’ve become fast friends in the last five months, forging a bond highlighted by the exchange of NFL memes via text message, gifts of sneakers and a phone call from Hardaway to Shabazz’s wife for her birthday. Hardaway hired Shabazz to be the trainer for his AAU program, and in the spring Shabazz will join the staff at Hardaway’s new basketball training facility in Cordova.

Former pro football player to get swole with brand new Cordova gym
Shabazz knows the path young athletes are trying to get to. Shabazz played football at Ohio State University for four years and later played for five years professionally in the Arena Football League. He legally became a certified personal trainer in 2011, with the intent to train athletes and has earned several more certifications since then. Shabazz, who developed a friendship with University of Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway, helped trained many of the basketball players who were part of Hardaway's three-time state championship team at East High School.

Other clients over the years have included brothers K.J. and Dedric Lawson, who both played basketball at the U of M and Kansas University, and Skal Labissière, who currently plays for the Portland Trail Blazers. Shabazz said a recent client was NBA draft prospect Darius Bazley.

Bazley, a top recruit coming out of high school in Ohio, chose to bypass college and played in the NBA G League this past year and is projected to be picked in the 2019 NBA draft. Bazley, who signed an endorsement contract with New Balance in 2018 that could earned him up to $14 million if he hits performance incentives, was referred to Shabazz by Labissière.

Something seems a bit off with public employees flying all over the country multiple times per day in private jets to talk to 17-year-olds.

You'd be surprised how much you can save in real terms with corporate flights in terms of equivalent hourly pay for highly compensated employees, especially when time is critical and you can't guarantee commercial travel. These are sales visits, not vacations, being paid through a recuiting budget in the AD. Why does that seem off?

You'd be surprised how much you can save in real terms with corporate flights in terms of equivalent hourly pay for highly compensated employees, especially when time is critical and you can't guarantee commercial travel. These are sales visits, not vacations, being paid through a recuiting budget in the AD. Why does that seem off?

It's just kinda crazy to me.

*fires up Kansas Flight Tracker thread*

The plane appears to be registered to Bradley Petroleum (CU Alum Buzz Calkins' family) but I'm pretty sure that could just mean it's being paid for/leased by the University.
Many jet owners will allow for use of aircraft when not needed, as there is a breakpoint in total usage of the aircraft (or monies generated from leasing out) to make the business case close.

Something seems a bit off with public employees flying all over the country multiple times per day in private jets to talk to 17-year-olds.
So you’d prefer they fly all over the country in private jets to talk to 30 year olds?

Chev in LA

Edit: Can Martzen (Director of Player Personnel) recruit on the road without taking someone else off?

Looks like Tucker is really trying to sell Boulder to recruits as a destination city. I know he said as much when he was hired.

Back