What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games 11/22 - 11/26

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
And just like that it comes to an end, the last full week of the college football schedule.

A season with a few teams that exceeded expectations and a lot of teams that fell short.

Some schools like Baylor and Michigan State are just glad to not have any highly publicized felonies. Nebraska with another year of trying to explain how they really aren’t as bad as their record and dreaming of returning to the glory days.

This weekend a number of schools will have their last chance to win their sixth game and qualify for bowl eligibility, others will be trying to move themselves up to a better bowl or even the playoff.

Tuesday we have our last dose of mid-week MACtion. Ball State at Miami (OH), both teams are 5-6 so one team gets to go bowling and one team goes home for the year. Bowling Green is bowling at 6-5 but another win at Ohio (8-3) would move them up into conference title game.

No games Wednesday but one on Thursday that is certainly not a turkey. It’s the Egg Bowl, Mississippi State (7-4) at (20) Mississippi (8-3). Bragging rights and bowl destinations are on the line.

Friday has a full slate of games as you digest your Thanksgiving meals and leftovers including a number of traditional rivalry games.

Most significant may be North Carolina State (7-4) at (18) North Carolina (9-2.)

Also matching ranked teams is (19) Tulane (9-2) at (21) Cincinnati (9-2.) Two teams interested ended as the highest ranked G5 team.

How about the Crime Bowl. It is a crime that (24) Texas (7-4) repeatedly waste highly ranked recruiting classes. They host Baylor that well, give them time and they will commit more crimes but at (6-5) they have slipped into the bowl picture.

Rivalry in the land of snakes and humidity. Florida (6-5) has lost 3 of their last 5 but they could put a positive end on their season beating (16) Florida State (8-3) who has won 4 in a row and this season is back in the rankings after a number of frustrating seasons.

Saturday we get what some consider “the” game of the year. (3) Michigan (11-0) at (2) Ohio State with the winner almost certainly guaranteed a spot in the playoff.

Not as big of stakes but ranked teams (13) Notre Dame (8-3) is at (5) USC (10-1) who still has playoff hopes.

Iron Bowl this year doesn’t promise the unpredictable battle it often is. Auburn (5-6) wants to forget this season. Their memories may be scarred at (8) Alabama (9-2) who have slim hopes to reach the playoffs.

PAC has a solid slate of rivalries this week.

Best may be (10) Oregon (9-2) at (22) Oregon State (8-3.) If you don’t like that one try the Apple Bowl with (12) Washington (9-2) at Washington State (7-4.)

Nobody else cares but Arizona (4-7) host Arizona State (3-8) for state pride in the Stripper State.

Some teams we just enjoy seeing lose. Michigan State (5-6) needs a win for bowl eligibility, playing at (11) Penn State (9-2) they aren’t likely to get it. Mel can spend the bowl season at home counting his money.

Friday Iowa (7-4) has spent all season trying to score on the field. Nebraska (3-8) has pretty much only scored with their sisters. In the battle for corn country pride the red polyester crowd can look forward to losing another one to the Hawkeyes.

Local schools finish up as well. What might be the worst game of the weekend on Friday has CSU and their middle school sized crowd welcoming in New Mexico in a titanic battle of 2-9 teams. Who gets to finish with double digit losses for the season.

Friday night Wyoming (7-4) goes to the warmth of Fresno State (7-4.)

Also in sunny southern California on Saturday Air Force (8-3) is at San Diego State (7-4.)

Northern Colorado was finished when the season started but they made it official last week as they fired Eddie Mac and his son after the season ending loss.

Colorado Mines host Minnesota State in the second round of the Division 2 playoffs. If they win they get the winner of #1 seed Angelo State and #4 Bemiji State.

I suppose 2 of the top 5 in the CFP have to lose in the next 2 weeks, but still, having LSU ahead of USC is a big FU to the Pac-12.

The CFP Armageddon Scenario

• No. 1 Georgia loses its last two games (Georgia Tech, LSU) and moves to 11-2.
  • No. 5 LSU loses to Texas A&M but beats Georgia and moves to 11-3.
  • No. 7 Alabama loses to Auburn, moving to 10-3.
  • No. 10 Tennessee loses to Vanderbilt, moving to 10-3.
  • No. 2 Ohio State beats No. 3 Michigan but is upset by the Big Ten West winner with OSU moving to 12-1.
  • No. 4 TCU loses to Iowa State and No. 12 Kansas State with TCU moving to 12-1.
  • No. 6 USC loses to No. 15 Notre Dame. No. 14 Utah beats Colorado to move to the Pac-12 Championship Game as No. 13 Washington beats Washington State, No. 21 Oregon State beats No. 9 Oregon and No. 18 UCLA beats California. The Trojans would move to 10-3.
  • No. 8 Clemson loses to South Carolin and No. 17 North Carolina, moving to 10-3.
In that scenario, we would be looking at ...
  • SEC champion: LSU (10-3)
  • Big Ten champion: Purdue, Iowa or Illinois (9-4)
  • Big 12 champion: Kansas State or Texas (9-4)
  • Pac-12 champion: Utah (10-3)
  • ACC champion: North Carolina (10-3)
Then, we would likely be left with these top four, none of which would have won their league ...

1. Ohio State (12-1): The easiest decision given the head-to-head win over Michigan.
2. Michigan (11-1): A relatively easy decision given its only loss would be to No. 1.
3. Georgia (11-2): The committee would have to weigh LSU's head-to-head win and far worse losses with Georgia's body of work.
4. TCU (11-2): Likely a reward for their bevy of ranked wins in the regular season.

Willem Dafoe Smile GIF

I suppose 2 of the top 5 in the CFP have to lose in the next 2 weeks, but still, having LSU ahead of USC is a big FU to the Pac-12.

LSU has more impressive wins than USC at this point. If LSU and USC both win out then it's TBD to see how it shakes out. If either loses then's it's a moot point

LSU has more impressive wins than USC at this point. If LSU and USC both win out then it's TBD to see how it shakes out. If either loses then's it's a moot point

True, but they have two losses, including getting shellacked at home, while USC has one loss, on the road by one point to a ranked team.

Losses (or lack thereof) do have a role to play, otherwise TCU shouldn't be anywhere near the CFP.

I do wonder, too - this will not happen, but what if LSU got surprised by A&M but somehow rebounded and upset Georgia? Even at 3 losses, would the committee have the balls to not take the SEC champion?

True, but they have two losses, including getting shellacked at home, while USC has one loss, on the road by one point to a ranked team.

Losses (or lack thereof) do have a role to play, otherwise TCU shouldn't be anywhere near the CFP.

I do wonder, too - this will not happen, but what if LSU got surprised by A&M but somehow rebounded and upset Georgia? Even at 3 losses, would the committee have the balls to not take the SEC champion?

I don't see see any way LSU gets in in that scenario

I don't see see any way LSU gets in in that scenario

I mean, I would hope so. It's just weird to think of a CFP without an SEC champ.

I'm not really sure I like the 12 team scenario, but an auto-bid would make the CCG that much more exciting.

As it is, if (it's still not gonna happen) LSU was upset by A&M, the SEC championship would have no playoff implications. That's weird.

I mean, I would hope so. It's just weird to think of a CFP without an SEC champ.

I'm not really sure I like the 12 team scenario, but an auto-bid would make the CCG that much more exciting.

As it is, if (it's still not gonna happen) LSU was upset by A&M, the SEC championship would have no playoff implications. That's weird.
Without an auto-bid from the conference champ, does it harm your conference to have a CCG and tack on a loss to one of your two best teams?

That said, no way in hell that conferences give up that CCG money.

Without an auto-bid from the conference champ, does it harm your conference to have a CCG and tack on a loss to one of your two best teams?

That said, no way in hell that conferences give up that CCG money.

I mean, I keep bringing up LSU/A&M like that's an actual upset opportunity, but in reality, the most likely scenario for the CFP rankings on Tuesday is UGA at #1 and LSU #4.

With the entirely possible chances of TCU losing in the Big 12 CCG or USC losing in the Pac-12 CCG, the odds are good that LSU would get in without having to play in a CCG, and the SEC would have two teams.

As it is though, LSU is probably out with another loss, and if armageddon happened for LSU, TCU, and USC, you're looking at an ACC champ Clemson and the OSU/Michigan loser getting in.

Edited to point out that only Clemson could get in from the ACC. UNC ain't getting in.

Last edited:

I think it was in the first year of the CFP when if Missouri had upset Alabama then the SEC would've been shut out of the playoff

Holy **** - I just realized. There is a distinct possibility that in the next two weeks, numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 all lose.

In that scenario, the Ohio State/Michigan loser probably gets in, and then the last spot will come down to a one loss TCU or a 2 loss..... Alabama.

Holy **** - I just realized. There is a distinct possibility that in the next two weeks, numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 all lose.

In that scenario, the Ohio State/Michigan loser probably gets in, and then the last spot will come down to a one loss TCU or a 2 loss..... Alabama.

In that scenario Tennessee should also be back in the mix. They dropped too much anyway in the current rankings

This ASU v UA game features 2 completely horrific teams. These teams are so bad. Shows how pathetic we are right now. We deserve a great coach and the ability to absolutely skull fvck both these loser programs into oblivion for the next half a decade.

CSU currently up on New Mexico. This is a case where both teams are so bad it's a shame that one of them gets to mark a win on their record.

If CSU not only beats your but shuts you out how bad are you and is it possible to be worse.

Back