What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Is ESPN about to create (force) a merger of the PAC and ACC or Big 12?
Believe it or not the 'after dark' time slots have value.
I think FOX has to have the Big 12 if for no other reason than the BYU home games. If I'm ESPN, I'd have the Pac 10 add San Diego State (duh) for sure to get back to where I'm an in market property in SoCal, and I'd at least ask Air Force. Those two are the two most attractive brands in the MWC, and I think you want to have the Pac poach from there because FOX has them in those windows. I think the service academies are brands that are very TV attractive, personally. Compare them to BYU in a way-I would think a fair amount of servicemembers pay attention to Army, Navy, and Air Force (depending on the branch they serve in). I know AFA turned down I think the Big 12 10 or so years ago, but they can and would compete in the Pac. Oregon's probably the only team in the league that would overwhelm them right now in football. There's also a regional rivalry with CU at least....and one that I would think AFA would give up playing CSU (who they're 13-2 against dating back to 2006) for.

Is ESPN about to create (force) a merger of the PAC and ACC or Big 12?
Believe it or not the 'after dark' time slots have value.
I don't see a merger.

I see putting them both on ESPN+ for Tier 3 while also orchestrating a scheduling alliance including a Pac/ACC challenge in hoops.

I could see ESPN deciding to destroy the Big 12 now.

They own the ACC.

They can own the PAC.

Then, push each conference to 16 teams by expanding to additional markets.

ACC adds West Virginia and Cincinnati.

PAC adds SDSU, UNLV, KU, OSU, TCU, UH.

I don't see a merger.

I see putting them both on ESPN+ for Tier 3 while also orchestrating a scheduling alliance including a Pac/ACC challenge in hoops.
I think you could see that in football too. Frankly, both leagues need eyeballs. Let's assume the Pac 10 adds the two best MWC brands to make sure they win the late night windows-IMO, that's SDSU (obv) and AFA or Fresno. ESPN doesn't need SMU in the Pac 10 because they have Texas and A&M's rights via the SEC. AFA's got BYU like reach because they're a service academy. They can play with everybody in this league outside of maybe Oregon, and you can easily tell AFA "Hey, we'll go to 8 conference games a year to accomodate the Commander-in-Chief's trophy" while committing the other 11 teams to play one game a year against the ACC.

CU/AFA getting the Gary Danielson treatment tells me what the networks think of the Zoomies.

I think you could see that in football too. Frankly, both leagues need eyeballs. Let's assume the Pac 10 adds the two best MWC brands to make sure they win the late night windows-IMO, that's SDSU (obv) and AFA or Fresno. ESPN doesn't need SMU in the Pac 10 because they have Texas and A&M's rights via the SEC. AFA's got BYU like reach because they're a service academy. They can play with everybody in this league outside of maybe Oregon, and you can easily tell AFA "Hey, we'll go to 8 conference games a year to accomodate the Commander-in-Chief's trophy" while committing the other 11 teams to play one game a year against the ACC.

CU/AFA getting the Gary Danielson treatment tells me what the networks think of the Zoomies.
I think an annual CU-AFA game would draw a big tv number and full stadiums.

If you do that, I think you also make the move for BYU to get that market reach + the Utah rivalry game.

SDSU + FSU is another rivalry that works while securing CA markets.

I think I'd like that as a Pac-14.

I think an annual CU-AFA game would draw a big tv number and full stadiums.

If you do that, I think you also make the move for BYU to get that market reach + the Utah rivalry game.

SDSU + FSU is another rivalry that works while securing CA markets.

I think I'd like that as a Pac-14.
I don't think FOX lets BYU leave. They need BYU's home games to pair with the Mountain West late night.

I don't think FOX lets BYU leave. They need BYU's home games to pair with the Mountain West late night.
They've got USC & UCLA.

Their interest in the Big 12 is almost 100% about ESPN having UT & aTm so needing broadcasts for the TX market, not because of BYU.

BYU, UH, Cincy & UCF are scheduled to join next summer.
So, they haven’t officially joined yet. Seems like there’s an opportunity there for the P12 to strengthen the conference and weaken the B12 at the same time.

The plot is thickening
there are a few out cards for us, but they are definitely dwindling. the pac did the right thing by waiting for the window to run out before committing to anything. now the goal for CU is to maximize revenue payout per school. i do not have confidence that the powers that be understand that is the goal.

the thing i am honestly most struggling with is how we managed to get ourselves behind a bunch of former g5 teams when we were a perennial top 20 program. you have to work to **** up this badly. CU is a sleeping giant -- i know that sounds like crazy talk in this era, but it is the truth-- where we have failed is vision and commitment. fix that and we are golden.

Do you have a preference between Amazon or Apple for other streaming rights? They're the 2 main players entering for CFB rights.
not really--either would likely pay a premium to the deal on the table-- there are others too. live sports are the holy grail for streaming services. cfb is not the nfl which will garner a ****ing insane amount of money on the next deel, but it is still super valuable. you are looking at millions of households that are about to be left out of the p2 configuration. the right holistic deal will be worth a **** ton of money.

That's a 7:30 ET game, I'd expect.

When the USC or UCLA home game was too big for the later slot, that's why they have the MWC to put BSU or other on.
Yeah but I think they'll want a 2nd tier power league too. You add BYU's 6 home games a year + USC/UCLA playing there 2-3 times a year you don't need to try for the Pac 12's tier 2 rights.

Yeah but I think they'll want a 2nd tier power league too. You add BYU's 6 home games a year + USC/UCLA playing there 2-3 times a year you don't need to try for the Pac 12's tier 2 rights.
I don't believe that FOX sees any need to bid on the PAC and I don't believe BYU has much of anything to do with that.

I don't believe that FOX sees any need to bid on the PAC and I don't believe BYU has much of anything to do with that.
this is all correct, i think.

lets assume that we aren't getting an invite to the big and that the sec is off the table (that doesn't seem like a huge assumption but others may disagree). if you look at the next tier of markets, ratings, and brands, the best solution i think is bundling. put all the top markets, ratings, and brands into a 3rd power conference and sell to a streaming service.

Vanderbilt, northwestern, etc. etc.-- there are a lot of weak links in the p2 and the way to punch through the current situation is bundle more teams than draw better eyeballs and then play hard ball on the playoffs and such.

it is pretty much what the remnant b12 is trying to accomplish but they don't have the markets and such to make it go---

You're right-but I also don't think FOX wants to be irrelevant in football crazy Texas. The Big 12's tier 1 rights do two things for them-One, the Big 12 keeps them relevant in Texas. Texas Tech-Houston is going to draw better in any Texas market than Indiana-Minnesota will. Two, the Big 12 also allows them to compete in that late night window with ESPN and the Pac 12. USC/UCLA you figure play there 2-3 times a year-You don't put Ohio State at USC in that window......but Illinois at USC is probably a different story. Maybe a game like Nebraska at UCLA could go there. If you can't put an LA school in that window.....maybe you put a BYU home game there?

Last edited:
Back