What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

this is all correct, i think.

lets assume that we aren't getting an invite to the big and that the sec is off the table (that doesn't seem like a huge assumption but others may disagree). if you look at the next tier of markets, ratings, and brands, the best solution i think is bundling. put all the top markets, ratings, and brands into a 3rd power conference and sell to a streaming service.

Vanderbilt, northwestern, etc. etc.-- there are a lot of weak links in the p2 and the way to punch through the current situation is bundle more teams than draw better eyeballs and then play hard ball on the playoffs and such.

it is pretty much what the remnant b12 is trying to accomplish but they don't have the markets and such to make it go---
The lower level B1G and $EC are like the idiot children of tycoons: they are rich because that’s where they were born. It’s not fair but NCAAF was never designed with fairness as a core value.

I think an annual CU-AFA game would draw a big tv number and full stadiums.

If you do that, I think you also make the move for BYU to get that market reach + the Utah rivalry game.

SDSU + FSU is another rivalry that works while securing CA markets.

I think I'd like that as a Pac-14.
One of the biggest things going for CU’s potential inclusion in the P2 down the road is that they are the lone P5 program in the state, and one of only 2 (3 when BYU joins) in the MTZ. Adding AFA would not be wise

Ironic that B1G stabs P12 with USC/uCLA then throws them life preserver shutting out ESPN.

One of the biggest things going for CU’s potential inclusion in the P2 down the road is that they are the lone P5 program in the state, and one of only 2 (3 when BYU joins) in the MTZ. Adding AFA would not be wise
Fwiw, I don't think AFA would see competing on that level as aligned with its mission and wouldn't join anyway. But if they did, they're not positioned to be a risk like CSU would be (not Denver media market, among other things).

Fwiw, I don't think AFA would see competing on that level as aligned with its mission and wouldn't join anyway. But if they did, they're not positioned to be a risk like CSU would be (not Denver media market, among other things).
Where is the line drawn on Denver TV markets?

What is the potential yearly payout from ESPN for the Pac now? That has to be added value here.
Yeah, I mean, end of the day this is good for the Pac but only if there is another bidder. ESPN wants the West coast inventory, but there’s still no reason to pay over market for it.

Amazon Prime has more eyes, so the Pac will end up with Apple if anything.
Why not both? This conference needs distribution as much as it needs money. What would be wrong with giving each platform two games a week?

Why not both? This conference needs distribution as much as it needs money. What would be wrong with giving each platform two games a week?
I like both playing. Not sure streaming gets 4/6 games during conference season.

I like both playing. Not sure streaming gets 4/6 games during conference season.
You’re completely right, now that I think about it. Four games is 8 teams in a 10 team conference. Still, maybe 2-3 games a week, split between them ought to work.

"The fallout could be good news for the Pac-12, which remains in negotiations with the network giant" "The Pac-12, as Kliavkoff noted that day, is next to market after the Big Ten."

Barring a last-minute change of direction, ESPN will be not carry Big Ten games for the first time in 40 years.

At some point in this thread I posted our attendance fluctuations and TV ratings in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 to prove that this state will support a winning CU football program, or even one that people think can become a winning program (hence the Mel Tucker bump in 2019).

The test on whether this administration is interested in being included will come after this season, assuming it goes like most here believe it will. If they win 3 or fewer games and they aren’t looking for a new staff, you’ll likely have your answer.
Don't know how relevant it is now but before CU jumped off the cliff we were a program that drew high TV ratings nationally, one of the reasons that when we were still decent we had a high number of national TV games.

Don't know how relevant it is now but before CU jumped off the cliff we were a program that drew high TV ratings nationally, one of the reasons that when we were still decent we had a high number of national TV games.
I think it's very relevant.

From 1988-2002 (15 seasons), CU was as nationally important as all but a handful of programs.

So there's brand value to any college football fan over 30. That still draws us solid numbers and will put us in the "2nd 20" of national brand values if we become a winning program again. Possibly a "1st 20" if we get back close to what we were.

I’m pretty sure when Hawkins was hired. Only Notre Dame had more nationally televised games.

Read My Lips Flirt GIF by MK xyz

Interesting comments by Arizona's 'Adam M.'

Thinks if the Pac 12 (10) money is only $5 - $10 million less than Big 12 money then they gone.

Last edited:
Back