What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

So starting in 2024, the Saturday B1G TV lineup is going to be the #1 game Big Noon kickoff at Noon ET, the #2/#3 game on CBS at 3:30, and then their 2/3 game on NBC in prime time. Theoretically, they could also do a 10:30 ET game with one of the LA schools as well.

Imagine a day where Ohio State v USC at Noon, Wisconsin v Michigan at 330, MSU at PSU for a whiteout game at 7, and then Iowa at UCLA at 10:30.

What a day

So starting in 2024, the Saturday B1G TV lineup is going to be the #1 game Big Noon kickoff at Noon ET, the #2/#3 game on CBS at 3:30, and then their 2/3 game on NBC in prime time. Theoretically, they could also do a 10:30 ET game with one of the LA schools as well.

Imagine a day where Ohio State v USC at Noon, Wisconsin v Michigan at 330, MSU at PSU for a whiteout game at 7, and then Iowa at UCLA at 10:30.

What a day
I guess. But then again, I don’t really have much interest in watching any of those games.

After years of being absolutely fanatical about watching any/all college football, I can’t believe I actually typed those words.

I guess. But then again, I don’t really have much interest in watching any of those games.

After years of being absolutely fanatical about watching any/all college football, I can’t believe I actually typed those words.
Agreed, I can’t care less about watching other conferences besides bowl season

What a day
Hopefully the weather outside on that day is good for a round of golf.

What a day
That’s why they said no to ESPN’s lowball offer. Not even in the ballpark.

9 AM USC vs Ohio St would be such a bummer, get that bad boy on prime time
Part of the discussion on the Staples pod that was talking about this was the fact that FOX loves the Big Noon time slot and it has become the highest rated. So basically, expect to see almost all the marquee B1G games kickoff at that time, meaning lots of Ohio State, USC, and Michigan games.

Of course, CBS and NBC will occasionally be able to get “first pick” so there will be plenty of big time matchups in prime time as well.

Stepping back even further and looking at the SEC and ESPN likely doing something similar, and it’s hard to see where the other 3 conferences fit in. Pac needs to jump on the night game stuff

Part of the discussion on the Staples pod that was talking about this was the fact that FOX loves the Big Noon time slot and it has become the highest rated. So basically, expect to see almost all the marquee B1G games kickoff at that time, meaning lots of Ohio State, USC, and Michigan games.

Of course, CBS and NBC will occasionally be able to get “first pick” so there will be plenty of big time matchups in prime time as well.

Stepping back even further and looking at the SEC and ESPN likely doing something similar, and it’s hard to see where the other 3 conferences fit in. Pac needs to jump on the night game stuff
I think the Pac has to have a streamer involved.

I think the Pac has to have a streamer involved.
Well yeah. NBC, CBS and FOX are all out. ESPN for tier one rights, and then Apple or Amazon and maybe TNT/TBS for 2/3 rights. They have to generate more interest to compete with ESPN, otherwise, it doesn’t really matter that ESPN is done w the B1G. There’s no reason to overpay without competitors

Well yeah. NBC, CBS and FOX are all out. ESPN for tier one rights, and then Apple or Amazon and maybe TNT/TBS for 2/3 rights. They have to generate more interest to compete with ESPN, otherwise, it doesn’t really matter that ESPN is done w the B1G. There’s no reason to overpay without competitors
ESPN needs to stake out territory in California like FOX does in Texas. They might slightly-but I'm not expecting a joke of a deal like the one they gave the NBA.

But again, if there is no other entity, streaming or network, willing to bid on those rights, ESPN won’t overpay.
I'm willing to do my part and not complain if I have to deal with a Thursday 8:30 MT kickoff on TruTV in order for our Buffs to get max dollars.

Actually, I'm probably being dishonest with myself on that. I'd probably support the deal out of necessity then suck it up and watch while bitching a lot.

I'm willing to do my part and not complain if I have to deal with a Thursday 8:30 MT kickoff on TruTV in order for our Buffs to get max dollars.

Actually, I'm probably being dishonest with myself on that. I'd probably support the deal out of necessity then suck it up and watch while bitching a lot.
I think Thursday/Friday would be more 7pm kicks while Saturday would be the 8:30. Thursday kind of sucks though because it would compete with the NFL.

All we have to do is bribe the **** out of every B1G president. Build a $50-75m subdivision and give them a beautiful view of the flatirons.

This is partly why it's hard to believe the Big 12 being in a better position than the Pac 10. CU is said to have a fanbase about the size of BYU's and more than Houston and Cincy combined.

In the total fan base slide. How does the PAC change with the departure of sc, and fucla? Assume we fall close to the Big12.

In the total fan base slide. How does the PAC change with the departure of sc, and fucla? Assume we fall close to the Big12.
Yeah, the Big 12 number is already accounted for with losing UT and OU, but I'm not sure the Pac 12 accounts for SC and UCLA leaving. If it doesn't, the USC number is 4.46m so it brings it down to 19.04m, and I imagine UCLA is less than that, but even if it's the same, it still has the Pac 12 at 14.58m fans with two fewer teams than the Big 12.

There's an academic debate that could be had in theory over the definition of the word Fanbase, but I think that attendance is one metric where the rubber meets the road. Then, donations to the AD for sure. I don't know how BYU stacks up there vs CU. Most of BYU's $$ numbers are going to be opaque since it's private.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Big 12 number is already accounted for with losing UT and OU, but I'm not sure the Pac 12 accounts for SC and UCLA leaving. If it doesn't, the USC number is 4.46m so it brings it down to 19.04m, and I imagine UCLA is less than that, but even if it's the same, it still has the Pac 12 at 14.58m fans with two fewer teams than the Big 12.
Good point, I dont see fucla being the same as sc, I could be wrong. So we still stay above the Big12. Thats a positive.

This is partly why it's hard to believe the Big 12 being in a better position than the Pac 10. CU is said to have a fanbase about the size of BYU's and more than Houston and Cincy combined.

That data is at the end of a long human centipede of weak analysis. They used a 2014 NYT study which was based on counting Facebook likes to make some clickbaity article.

Facebook likes from 2014 is one step above a gypsy with a crystal ball. Just look at Syracuse’s supposed media domination lmao

Source: "The only conference that's truly aligned right now is the SEC."

(Hotline aside: The longer the B1G goes without finalizing the media contract, the more I wonder if a faction of the leadership is pushing to add teams now ... even if Fox is tapped out.)

This from Wilner.
Sorry. Having trouble linking a Twitter from my phone.
Also Fluguar guy from Minnesota just uploaded a YouTube video talking about this tweet and Stanford, Washington and Oregon's chances in joining Big10.
If you believe him then the PAC is screwed.

Back