What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil DiStefano Launches Advisory Panel to Explore University Funding

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Studies have predicted that Colorado will run out of funding for higher education within a decade.

“Whether it's three, five or 10 years, we can anticipate, and we must plan for, zero state funding,” DiStefano said at a state of the campus address he delivered in the Glenn Miller Ballroom. “And that planning will require us to come together as never before.”

The council will include members of the campus community and external members who have no ties to CU. DiStefano, in an interview, said he plans on having the group put together by the end of the semester.

So, if we get no state funding, then what obligations do we have left as a public school? The land the buildings are on?

So, if we get no state funding, then what obligations do we have left as a public school? The land the buildings are on?

The land. The buildings. All of the items and equipments within the buildings. Anything in which the "University of Colorado" has any type of ownership or property interest is actual owned by the State of Colorado.

I wonder if there is a way to generate interst that drives an increase in applications and donations? Hmmm, what could possibly do that?

I wonder if there is a way to generate interst that drives an increase in applications and donations? Hmmm, what could possibly do that?

The CU Foundation had a record year for donations during the 2011-2012 academic year. $228.6 million in private donations.

And that was with a ****** football team.

Has a public school ever gone private before and what does it take? What would the process be looking like?

I nearly wrote the same thing except it began, "if only there was a way..." but same sentiment.

@Nik:

I think the dropping a letter thing was only for the thread about movies, but I'm still not sure how things work around here.

If CU goes private, charging different tuition for instate versus out-of-state might become illegal.
What would CU look like if everyone were charged the same amount...say $25K per student?

Something is out of whack with tuition. I wish I knew what was driving this, but it's been increasing at a faster rate than medical costs.

Tuition.png

Something is out of whack with tuition. I wish I knew what was driving this, but it's been increasing at a faster rate than medical costs.

It would be interesting to see what % of that is driven by state institutions receiving less government support.

Sure would be nice to be one of those schools that had a football program that was good enough to generate enough funding that it could feed back into the school.

Has a public school ever gone private before and what does it take? What would the process be looking like?

Are any major state flagship schools private? They only one I can think of is the University of Pennsylvania who's hardly one of the major ones as far as sports teams are considered. Delaware is unique in that it's private but gets some public assistance, so they're kind of a mix of public and private.

Are any major state flagship schools private? They only one I can think of is the University of Pennsylvania who's hardly one of the major ones as far as sports teams are considered. Delaware is unique in that it's private but gets some public assistance, so they're kind of a mix of public and private.

Penn is not a state university. Never has been. (Founded when we were still colonies.)

There's been a lot of talk about PSU going private, though. Michigan may also be forced into it.

We're nearly at zero state assistance right now. This isn't something that they're just now having to deal with. The enterprise status they received a couple years ago allows them to act like a private institution while retaining the privileges that come with being a state institution. In short, I see this as a positive. Yes, it will mean increases in tuition, which is very unfortunate. In the long run, it should make CU stronger.

Back