What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RR Ralphie Report: Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A with UCF

RSSBot

News Junkie
Sam Houston v UCF

Photo by Conor Kvatek/UCF Athletics/University Images via Getty Images

The Buffs are 14 point underdogs.

As usual, we reach out to the Colorado Buffaloes’ opponent before game week to get some more information about the upcoming game. This week, it’s a true black and gold match with the University of Central Florida. The fake Space U is a smashmouth team this year, with a 3-0 record this year after a nail-biting win against TCU. Gus Malzahn has the offense cooking at a Crock-pot pace, so we asked Jeff Sharon of Black & Gold Banneret to see what we need to know:

1. UCF might be the most run-heavy team (service academies excepted) in the country. R.J. Harvey is the engine of the offense and K.J Jefferson is obviously a powerful runner. How confident is UCF that this type of run offense can hold up in conference play?

Gus Malzahn seems pretty confident it can. But it’s not just because or KJ and RJ — It’s because of the offensive line. UCF’s O-Line has five guys who all played at UCF (even if they didn’t all start together) at least a bit last season, and while that doesn’t sound like a big deal, it really is considering how the transfer portal has affected team composition the last few years. That level of personal familiarity has allowed that unit to jell together under OL Coach Herb Hand, and Harvey, who has also been here a while now, has also benefited from it. This group is built to withstand the weekly punishment of power conference play, and that was born out against TCU.

2. It seems like the only other team that’s struggling for a pass rush like CU is UCF. Currently, they have one sack on the year. What is behind UCF’s pass rush woes?

It’s kind of weird, actually. UCF has only one sack and 13 hurries in three games, and are currently 130th in sack percentage. I think part of it is the opponents. In the first two games, New Hampshire was just not good, and Sam Houston runs the ball 62% of the time. But TCU was just disinterested in running even when up by three TDs in the third quarter, but they also got the ball out quickly every play, ad prevented the rush from getting home. Another part of it is John Walker, who was projected to be a star up front this year, hasn’t played yet due to an injury. Nyjalik Kelly, a transfer DE from Miami, has yet to find his footing. So this will be a test for the front seven against a mobile QB in Shedeur, which always seems to give UCF trouble, and what I think is a suspect CU O-Line that gave up 8 sacks in a win over Baylor.

3. Who are the players to watch on offense for UCF, other than Harvey?

People need to pay more attention to Kobe Hudson. He was the #2 guy behind Javon Baker last year, but quietly led UCF in receiving TDs. Now he’s the ace and KJ Jefferson is solidifying their connection. Against TCU, Kobe had 6 catches for 145 yards and two TDs, including the game-winner where he got blown up as the ball got there and held on.

Also, watch out for Xavier Townsend, who is probably the fastest guy on the team. Gus finds ways to get him the ball via both the run and the pass, and he returns kicks.

FInally, I love what Myles Montgomery has done. He came over from Cincinnati and serves as Harvey’s backup, but every time he’s out there he gets the tough yards, to the tune of 7.1 per carry on 20 rushes so far.

4. Who are the players to watch on defense for UCF?

UCF’s defense is strongest in the middle. Ricky Barber and Lee Hunter are future pros in the trenches. The Knights also dramatically overhauled the LB corps, led by transfers Ethan Barr (from Vandy) and Deshawn Pace (from Cincinnati). Pace is my personal favorite, and not just because his nickname is The Joker. He leads the team in tackles with 19, has an interception to his credit, and against TCU he had one of the most remarkable sequences from a UCF defender I’ve ever seen.

Down 6 with 4:35 left and needing a three-and-out, Pace made tackles on all three plays — two by reading screens perfectly and one on the enormous Savion Williams on a one-on-one crossing route — almost single-handedly forcing TCU to punt the ball back to us for what would become the game-winning scoring drive. Dude’s a problem and I’m glad he’s with us and not Cincinnati.

5. What is your prediction for the game?

I hate making predictions, mostly because I’m often wrong. But I will say that this feels like one of those styles-make-fights games. UCF loves to run, Colorado loves to throw. But with the game at home, in the heat, and with the crowd we expect with Big Noon Kickoff coming to campus, I expect this to come down to whose offensive line can control the game in the second half. Right now, that advantage lies with UCF. I know the line is 14 points in favor of the Knights, but I think it will be closer than that.

by Jack Barsch
Continue reading...

Back