What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ralphie V - Retired - Thanks, Blackout!

Ralphie V was born in October 2006 on the Vermejo Park Ranch located in Cimarron, New Mexico, owned by Ted Turner. Like Ralphie IV, Ted Turner donated Ralphie V to the University. As the darkest calf in the herd, she was named "Blackout" by ranch hands. Ralphie Program Directors Benny Frei and Kevin Priola worked with Barney Coppedge, the Bison Manager at Vermejo Park Ranch, to bring Ralphie V to Colorado. Frei continues to house Ralphie V.

Ralphie V came to Colorado in January 2007, and was introduced at "Ralphie’s Salute to a New Era" on November 17, 2007. A little over one-year-old, she weighed in at 450 pounds. Her debut game run came against Eastern Washington on September 6, 2008. Colorado won that game 31-24. Ralphie V is by far the fastest and largest of all the previous Ralphies.

She's been a great representative of the university, sometimes in the past few years one of the few good things about our program.

Good time to retire though. Next season will be our first real year in the Tucker era. New players, new attitude, new buffalo leading them onto the field.

Happy retirement Ralphie. Remember her first run was that spring game when she got loose. That was also the game where we had Darrell Scott and Lynn katoa in attendance. She served the university well but this might be the perfect time to move on to the next Ralphie.

I'll never forget her running between the hedges

Someone work out what the football program's record during her reign was. Must be fairly atrocious.

Not surprised with her not running the last 2 weeks, something was obviously up.

Can they have a Buffalo ready to run for next season? Thanks for all the memories Ralphie V, glad I got to see your last run.

Dang, I have pictures of my kids in front of her pen for the last 7 seasons from 2012 to this year. It has been a growth chart seeing how they compare from 1 year to the next using her pen as the measuring stick. I hope she lives on for another 10-15 years.

I have been sad since reading this news and this thread doesn't help.... She ran at the 2010 UGA/CU game when my husband and I had just met (& had to sit across the stadium from each other because we didn't know whether our relationship could survive our fandom), my kids first pictures at a CU game are with Blackout, and that 2008 spring game run had us wondering whether someone in Folsom has a super-secret tranquilizer gun "just in case"...

Thanks for the incredible memories, sweet girl!

THIS IS BULL****!

Ralphie V deserved to go out in a blaze of glory, not penned up on Franklin Field. I don't care if she was too ornery to run against 'furd or the the spoiled children--they should've taken off her harness and just let her loose!

Drq1CzNUwAAsHuw.jpg

THIS IS BULL****!

Ralphie V deserved to go out in a blaze of glory, not penned up on Franklin Field. I don't care if she was too ornery to run against 'furd or the the spoiled children--they should've taken off her harness and just let her loose!

Drq1CzNUwAAsHuw.jpg
Would have only been made more perfect by David Shaw's admitted terror. One of my favorite Ralphie stories.
Not everyone feels so comfortable around Ralphie — specifically visiting teams who have yet to meet the bison in person. Stanford head coach David Shaw shared his first encounter with Ralphie during a press conference this week, as the Cardinal head to Colorado to take on the Buffs tomorrow.

“I would refer to it as my most terrifying experience as an athlete,” remembered Shaw. “It was back in the day when they didn’t really have as much regulation around Ralphie and where that cage is, because it used to be right outside the locker room. And this was my first game in college football, my true freshman year — Ed McCaffrey wasn’t healthy yet so I got a chance to travel and was really excited.

“So we go warm up, we come in the locker room and then we are coming back out and for some reason I wanted to be the first guy out, so I go to the front and they open the locker room doors and I step out. And as you step out, you turn left and there’s the field. And I look out on the field and here comes this Volkswagen with horns, just dragging these human beings on the side, and she seems to be running right at me. So of course my natural instinct is to go back into the locker room. But I got 79 other guys trying to come out of the locker room — so I’m trying to go back in and they are all coming out. And it was probably 20 yards away, but it felt like five feet away when they finally turned the buffalo into her cage.

“I don’t think that my heart stopped pounding until the ball was kicked off. Just to see a large, large, fast animal coming right at you was very nerve-wracking. I’ll be staying in the locker room until she’s in her cage this week.”

Back