What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Random 3am football thought: Jay MacIntyre's role in 2017

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
I couldn't think of a better intro for this rant other than "this is something that wakes me from a slumber at 3 in the morning." I'm curious to hear some thoughts on Jay MacIntyre, especially the role he'll play next year, considering the team will have a healthy JuWann Winfree, and with Anthony Julmisse potentially being in the WR lineup toss in addition to Johnny Huntley.

So firstly, for the 2016 season, did you feel that JayMac's got a role on the team that he didn't deserve? He finished the year with 30 receptions for 390 yards. Essentially what I'm asking is do you think the "coaches son = preferential treatment" argument is fair in criticizing Jay MacIntyre? In your minds, has he earned his place as a wide receiver on this team that deserves to see a lot of playing time?

Heading into next year, the Buffs are going to have a plethora of wide receivers. Bryce Bobo, Shay Fields, Jr. and Devin Ross are locks. JayMac served as the rotating slot receiver in 2016.

My thoughts: JayMac proved his worth in 2016. He's speedy, does well with blocking assignments, and has showed versatility as a punt returner. I'd stop short of saying he should be a lock as a starter in 2017, but I think he'll make a case for himself come Spring and summer drills.

Thoughts? Overall opinion on Jay MacIntyre?

I couldn't think of a better intro for this rant other than "this is something that wakes me from a slumber at 3 in the morning." I'm curious to hear some thoughts on Jay MacIntyre, especially the role he'll play next year, considering the team will have a healthy JuWann Winfree, and with Anthony Julmisse potentially being in the WR lineup toss in addition to Johnny Huntley.

So firstly, for the 2016 season, did you feel that JayMac's got a role on the team that he didn't deserve? He finished the year with 30 receptions for 390 yards. Essentially what I'm asking is do you think the "coaches son = preferential treatment" argument is fair in criticizing Jay MacIntyre? In your minds, has he earned his place as a wide receiver on this team that deserves to see a lot of playing time?

Heading into next year, the Buffs are going to have a plethora of wide receivers. Bryce Bobo, Shay Fields, Jr. and Devin Ross are locks. JayMac served as the rotating slot receiver in 2016.

My thoughts: JayMac proved his worth in 2016. He's speedy, does well with blocking assignments, and has showed versatility as a punt returner. I'd stop short of saying he should be a lock as a starter in 2017, but I think he'll make a case for himself come Spring and summer drills.

Thoughts? Overall opinion on Jay MacIntyre?
I think his roll will decrease too much talent coming in +KDNixon. Unless Mac doesn't want to and then players start transferring

No, I'm fine with JMac being on the team. Just play your role and answer when your number is called. That's basically it with me. He knew it would be scrutinized, who gives a damn? This is different from the Hawk situation imho.

There are still some guys who don't believe he should be on scholarship. We've hashed it over and over here. I love the kid. He most definitely has a place. He will be a contributor for sure. Him starting will depend on how some of the young guys step up or if they do, rather.

Now get some sleep.

If he gets beat out fine, I still think he's earned a spot to contribute. Plus, it's nice to have someone with experience to fall back on, if need be. That means injury or guys that are gassed.

I've seen a lot of players on scholarship do a whole lot less with the opportunity. If MM recruits over his son then that should say something. Hawkins certainly never did that.

I think Jay will play some. Maybe not as much as last year.

WRs always fret injured. Veteran depth that has legit production is a nice thing to have.

I doubt we see Julmisse at WR.

Jay Mac has earned his scholarship, IMO. He plays with passion and focus. He's not without skills, either. I do think Nixon probably has more talent and will likely be playing the same position, though. Keep in mi d that Nixon is a Freshman, while Jay Mac will be a RS Junior ( I think). Experience counts. Don't be surprised if J Mac starts out the year at the slot while Nixon finishes it. That's not a terrible thing, either.

Just so we're all on the same page, Julmisse will not be playing receiver next year, he is our starting corner next year...
Yeah. I was wondering if some sort of change had occurred. He certainly has the skill set to play WR. Unless he can't catch, haha.

J Mac has played well and found a niche for himself on this team last year. I was against giving him a scholarship, and while I still think as a general rule it's more risk than reward to give your kid a scholarship (especially when it's his only P5 offer), he has shown he can play at this level, and has done some nice things for us. I never want to see him return punts again, but he'll be in the rotation again next year in the slot.

Productive member of the WR group. I don't expect that to change.

Hey, Guerriero! Wake up and be better!

giphy.gif

JMac was huge in the wsu game for us. Possibly would not have won that game with out some of his key catches. I could see a little drop off due to more talent around, but should still contribute in those "possession catches".

JayMac is a first down machine and a very reliable receiving option for our QB's. He has enough skill to break one if DB's don't take him seriously and he works as hard, if not harder than every other receiver on this roster because his dad is the coach. For all the **** he gets, he has been a very solid player here at CU.

As for 2017, unless one of the younger receivers can be a reliable and efficient option in the middle of the field, JayMac will continue to have a niche in this offense. Especially with the likelihood of us going 4 or 5 wide often.

I had been critical of JM getting a scholarship prior to finding out that mom and dad reciprocated by funding a women's vb scholarship. Even so, he made me eat my words last season. Good hands, quick feet, good routes, good blocking and willing to play whatever role he is given. If he is relegated to a lower spot on the depth chart that bodes well for us. I still have questions about how good a coach MM can be for us, but nepotism isn't one of them.

This is a discussion board where not everyone will agree with your opinions/thoughts. If you have an issue with people contributing to a discussion, maybe you shouldn't be posting. Do you get paid for being a douche bag?
Who the **** thought it would be a good idea to let this kid have a role at AB? Does he get paid?

I had been critical of JM getting a scholarship prior to finding out that mom and dad reciprocated by funding a women's vb scholarship. Even so, he made me eat my words last season. Good hands, quick feet, good routes, good blocking and willing to play whatever role he is given. If he is relegated to a lower spot on the depth chart that bodes well for us. I still have questions about how good a coach MM can be for us, but nepotism isn't one of them.
Ah, so it was you!

He is a good possession reciever.

I went off when he was given a scholarship, and still disagree with the choice. Not because of him, but because of the optics following Hawkins mismanagement of his own son. Do we have a kid who can catch the ball and then with speed to finish? Then they will be ahead of Him. His muffed punts in a home game were bad, but his dad made the tough call and replaced him.
Any time he makes a mistake people will question if someone better should have been there. It puts the kid in a really tough spot.

Back