What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

MEAC is shrinking and now they are asking D2 HBCUs to move up to fill in the gaps. It remains to be seen if those HBCUs can make the move up and stay D1.

• this appears to be a recap of old news
  • I don't have the subscription to read the full article, but this positions NCSU and VT as expansion possibilities for the SEC. I'm mildly curious as to the full content, while being dubious of McGee's knowledge, but I still think UNC will be the school that the SEC next targets.
  • point of debate on the VT realignment forum, which conferences would be most willing to allow Texas to keep the Longhorn Network? Consensus seems to be the ACC and the Pac12, which I think makes sense. I don't see the B1G or SEC being willing to negotiate that.
    • note: trigger for this discussion is around potential move of the Pac 12 HQ to LV (Vegas gets more visitors originating from Texas than any other state except California)

What the heck is even on the Longhorn Network?

Texass VS San Angelo State for football ?
bull riding ?

• this appears to be a recap of old news
  • I don't have the subscription to read the full article, but this positions NCSU and VT as expansion possibilities for the SEC. I'm mildly curious as to the full content, while being dubious of McGee's knowledge, but I still think UNC will be the school that the SEC next targets.
  • point of debate on the VT realignment forum, which conferences would be most willing to allow Texas to keep the Longhorn Network? Consensus seems to be the ACC and the Pac12, which I think makes sense. I don't see the B1G or SEC being willing to negotiate that.
    • note: trigger for this discussion is around potential move of the Pac 12 HQ to LV (Vegas gets more visitors originating from Texas than any other state except California)

• Been reading NCSU & VT to the SEC stuff for awhile while UNC & UVA would head to the Big Ten.
  • Only the Big 12 would allow UT to keep its Longhorn Network. Even the G5 conferences wouldn't allow such a thing. Either UT stays in the Big 12 or goes independent if they want to keep the LHN. If the Pac-12 can get one heck of a media rights deal with escalators for if they added UT, they could listen to Pac-12 offers.
  • Las Vegas seems to be on its way to becoming the Atlanta of the west when it comes to sports. Pac-12 HQ moving there is a no-brainer.

Texas isn't going to just give up the Longhorn Network because they have no good reason to give up another 10 years of almost $11 million a year in revenues. It is clear though that the payout isn't going to get bigger than that because the network isn't going to be profitable enough to pay off it's cost and move them into the 70/30% profit split called for in the contract.

ESPN would love to get rid of the Network. It has never come close to generating the kind of viewership

One possibility for Texas moving to the PAC would be if an agreement could be reached that includes PAC expansion including Texas (and most likely Oklahoma,) which would also include a new TV deal between ESPN/ABC and the PAC which would also include ESPN taking over the PAC12 network with an equity stake in the operation.

It is possible that adding UT/OU to the PAC would increase the value of the Media rights to a point that would benefit all involved. Texas might be willing to go along with this as well because they know that while they still have years left on the TLN contract that the day it expires ESPN will be out and done.

A side note to this is that while money is always the number one consideration both Texas and Oklahoma have real interest in the PAC due to academic reputation. Texas always wants to be seen as "elite" and believes the PAC affiliation would help them in that regard. Oklahoma has put a lot of money into increasing their academic standing and have brought themselves up to meet AAU standards and are hoping for an invitation to join. For them affiliating with the PAC would be significant.

I read something last night that ranked the top ten realistic expansion targets for the Pac-12.

It had:
#1 Oklahoma
#2 Kansas

Yes, please.
Expand to a 14-game regular season, let OU schedule the whorns and cowgirls and let KU schedule Missouri and KSU and everybody is happy.

Given the news of the 12 team playoff recommendation and I think it's going to pass. Does this cool down realignment for awhile?

Given the news of the 12 team playoff recommendation and I think it's going to pass. Does this cool down realignment for awhile?
Follow the money. Always.

Realignment will happen whenever a conference sees a significant margin for adding a school & the school also sees a big payday. For the school, it's not always about the direct revenue from the conference. CU's calculus, for example, heavily weighted toward connecting with more of its out-of-state alum donors.

Follow the money. Always.

Realignment will happen whenever a conference sees a significant margin for adding a school & the school also sees a big payday. For the school, it's not always about the direct revenue from the conference. CU's calculus, for example, heavily weighted toward connecting with more of its out-of-state alum donors.
All the good looking girls all have a date to the dance. Maybe Missouri moves to the Big Ten someday. Maybe WV joins the ACC. That slut Texas and her backwater cousin OU bimbo might jump someday. But thats it. Everyone has a date. Unless someone lifts up some of them uglier girls, they aint getting in without some work.

All the good looking girls all have a date to the dance. Maybe Missouri moves to the Big Ten someday. Maybe WV joins the ACC. That slut Texas and her backwater cousin OU bimbo might jump someday. But thats it. Everyone has a date. Unless someone lifts up some of them uglier girls, they aint getting in without some work.
Good analysis

Somebody is going to have to be ready to put out to get invited.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of the conferences aren't trying to figure out how to divorce the ones they have been married to for a long time but who don't do much of the work but still make sure they get a big slice of the pie.

Good analysis

Somebody is going to have to be ready to put out to get invited.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of the conferences aren't trying to figure out how to divorce the ones they have been married to for a long time but who don't do much of the work but still make sure they get a big slice of the pie.
Nah. Every conference needs bottom feeders. If you kick some out, others will take over the space vacated. It sucks for some schools who missed the boat, and it’s fortunate for schools who have been floating on a life raft for 60 years.

You can't outgrow a conference if you're only winning it once a decade. Such a ****er-esque take from USC media.

USC probably could do very well as an independent if the remaining member schools of the PAC 12 played nice. If they didn’t, football would probably be fine, but the basketball and the remaining non-revenue sports would be in for a rough ride.

USC probably could do very well as an independent if the remaining member schools of the PAC 12 played nice. If they didn’t, football would probably be fine, but the basketball and the remaining non-revenue sports would be in for a rough ride.
Even football would be tougher.

There are zero P5 teams west of the Colorado/Kansas border that aren't in the P12. The only highly respected G5 programs are BYU and Boise. The high profile of USC could get them a lot of 1 for 1s and even a few 2 for 1 with P5 programs but they would still be doing a lot of travelling.

There are zero P5 teams west of the Colorado/Kansas border that aren't in the P12. The only highly respected G5 programs are BYU and Boise. The high profile of USC could get them a lot of 1 for 1s and even a few 2 for 1 with P5 programs but they would still be doing a lot of travelling.
Agreed. It would be a lot of traveling, but it is doable. For what it’s worth, the SC faithful think it’s a terrific idea, and they’ll just keep playing in the PAC 12 for all the other sports.

Agreed. It would be a lot of traveling, but it is doable. For what it’s worth, the SC faithful think it’s a terrific idea, and they’ll just keep playing in the PAC 12 for all the other sports.

Sweet! Two more guaranteed wins for Tad every season.

Sure they may have to do some traveling but they would be just fine if they went independent

This would be like FSU blaming the ACC because they haven’t been nationally relevant in a few years and going independent. Maybe USC should get their program back to where it should be and quit blaming the conference
Just need to hire a competent cheater instead of the ADs buddies.

They have the resources, are in the middle of a talent gold mine, have a national name, have connections to the LA image and stars, and have shown in the past that a little cheating doesn't bother them.

They have no excuse for not being a dominant program other than their own bad choices.

This would be like FSU blaming the ACC because they haven’t been nationally relevant in a few years and going independent. Maybe USC should get their program back to where it should be and quit blaming the conference
Almost sorta. Slight difference is that the ACC actually has a team that is always is the Championship hunt (Clemson) and FSU rarely makes it to the conf championship…where as USC routinely does. Nevertheless, it’s not the Pac-12, per say, that is USC’s problem.

It's a good thing. USC is applying pressure. The conference needs to show them the money and fix its problems.

Remember, USC was sold on 100% equal revenue sharing and giving up all its 2nd tier rights based on how a strong conference would generate record media revenue.

Didn't work, so why should they accept going forward that anyone gets as much as them when they're the most valuable property and have options?

Hell, if I'm USC my move would be to sit down with UT, bring in ESPN, and figure out the structure they'd like and who they would want to join them in a SW-Pac superconference.

Back