What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown to be played on campus 6 times between 2029 and 2038 in a 2-on, 2-off format

"This has been a great series for the state, and we wanted to be sure we had games locked in moving forward," CU athletic director Rick George said. "The two-on, two-off format we've adopted provides both schools some flexibility to schedule other non-conference opponents in other parts of the country, which play a role in several factors, including alumni engagement and recruiting. We have some exciting series coming up this decade, but also felt it was prudent to secure CSU deep into the 2030s."

Yep, Rick. I am sure we had to hurry in scheduling CSU before the big guys come knocking to set up those blockbuster clashes.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I think this is great news.

for all that people bitch about playing CSU, it's been the most well attended series in the seven years I've been following CU. It helps raise in-state interest in college football, which we've discussed repeatedly being severely lacking. And it gets more discussion on this board (including USC who many hear feel is the closest conference rival to being a "blue blood", and including UU with which we actually have a named rivalry game) than any other series, save possibly NU.

I like it being on campus, although I've posted before I think there may be a recruiting upside to playing a game at least once every four years in an NFL stadium.

Eight years is a long time though -- both CU and CSU will be different by then.

It really is not.
you may be right. but consider:
1. if only from a revenue POV, is there another non-conf opponent CU could've gotten six games with that would perform better?
2. is there an opponent CU could've gotten a home-and-home with that would've elevated in-state interest in college football more?
3. is there an FBS opponent CU could've gotten a home-and-home with that more fans would bother road tripping to?

I understand everyone would prefer we schedule home-and-home series with NU or UT or Mizzou, and I suspect ADRG tried to do just that, but given how poorly we've performed both on the field and in attendance and in TV ratings over the last decade, this is likely the series that made the most sense from a financial and fan-interest perspective.

let's win the Pac 12 a couple times over the next few years and those other doors will open -- then we can pay whatever the cancellation fee is to CSU and schedule more lucrative matchups.

I'm listening to counter-arguments.

you may be right. but consider:
1. if only from a revenue POV, is there another non-conf opponent CU could've gotten six games with that would perform better?
2. is there an opponent CU could've gotten a home-and-home with that would've elevated in-state interest in college football more?
3. is there an FBS opponent CU could've gotten a home-and-home with that more fans would bother road tripping to?

I understand everyone would prefer we schedule home-and-home series with NU or UT or Mizzou, and I suspect ADRG tried to do just that, but given how poorly we've performed both on the field and in attendance and in TV ratings over the last decade, this is likely the series that made the most sense from a financial and fan-interest perspective.

let's win the Pac 12 a couple times over the next few years and those other doors will open -- then we can pay whatever the cancellation fee is to CSU and schedule more lucrative matchups.

I'm listening to counter-arguments.
1. No, but what school plays six non-conference games against an opponent as insignificant as CSewe? Or said another way, would anybody not desperate for attention and money sign up for six body bag games with their big brother?
2. Yes, AFA.
3. Yes, kNU, UT or aTm.

Counter argument? CSewe has no national significance of any type whatsoever. Any game with them is just propping them up. CU gets nothing out of the exchange except a W 80% of the time, and even when they do, everyone thinks "well, yeah, they should beat CSU, they suck". If by some miracle the goats pull off the upset, we play Michigan to their App. State. No upside, stupid.

As long as it is on campus, I am fine with it. The game itself is usually pretty fun (and good for us), and I think that the players like it too. Definitely more fun than playing some directional school with no connection to the state.

At some point, I think that all of our whining about it just feeds a narrative that the rest of the state has about CU.

As long as it is on campus, I am fine with it. The game itself is usually pretty fun (and good for us), and I think that the players like it too. Definitely more fun than playing some directional school with no connection to the state.

At some point, I think that all of our whining about it just feeds a narrative that the rest of the state has about CU.
And what are people actually whining about at this point?

Not thrilled, but at least they aren’t doing this in Denver anymore. In my attempt to see the positives in this, I wonder if RG is reading the tea leaves and expects an expansion of the regular season to 13 or 14 games. In that scenario, this would make a lot of sense. High paying body bag games are hard to come by.

It will end up at Mile High. Watch.

Playing CSU is good for the budget I suppose, but does nothing for recruiting. I would’ve preferred a home and home in another state where CU recruits. CSU is typically an easy win fortunately, so there’s that.

What literally is the problem with this game? I can agree with not wanting it every year, but this is almost perfect scheduling for the CSU game.

One of the biggest pay day games CU will get outside of Nebraska, will be a guaranteed home sellout, can almost guarantee that CU is requiring a big pay day when they travel to FoCo, essentially another game to go to, etc. Maybe me growing up in the state gives me a different view of this game, but I enjoy the game and enjoy the tears afterwards. Not every non-conference game is going to be against a P5 School and would literally be stupid to do so by the AD anyways. This is the most bang for your buck G5 game CU will get, so makes no sense to me to hate it.

Last edited:
Back