What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ryan Walters - DC Illinois

Mb2658

Walters_Ryan.jpg

COACHING EXPERIENCE
Defensive Coordinator/Safeties, Missouri
Defensive Coordinator/Secondary, Missouri
Co-Defensive Coordinator/Secondary, Missouri
Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties, Missouri
2015Safeties, Missouri
2014Cornerbacks, Memphis
2013Cornerbacks, North Texas
2012Graduate Assistant/Cornerbacks, Oklahoma
2011Defensive Backs, Arizona
2010Graduate Assistant, Arizona
2009Student Assistant/Secondary, Colorado

Red flag is the question of whether he ran the Defense under Odom or did Odom.? Odom is a DC first and foremost. If Walters has yet to run the defense, then HC is a big leap.

I had same question with Tucker. Walters inexperience makes it a bigger question.

Merits an interview, to test how ready he is. Could be a superstar, but the risks have to be vetted.

Red flag is the question of whether he ran the Defense under Odom or did Odom.? Odom is a DC first and foremost. If Walters has yet to run the defense, then HC is a big leap.

I had same question with Tucker. Walters inexperience makes it a bigger question.

Merits an interview, to test how ready he is. Could be a superstar, but the risks have to be vetted.
At this stage of the game, all the candidates are a risk. Unless you get an Odom.

Walters is like at least a few years to five years away from a HC position. Same for Chev.

Pass for now but check back later.

I would be very interested in Ryan Walters as the next defensive coordinator at CU. He has been a star in the SEC to the point that the new MU HC kept him on as the DC.

I believe that the only way he could become CU’s DC is if Bieniemy is the CU HC. That would send a bunch of Buff fans bat**** crazy but he would be a fantasic hire at DC for CU. Walters is a rising star in the industry.

I would be very interested in Ryan Walters as the next defensive coordinator at CU. He has been a star in the SEC to the point that the new MU HC kept him on as the DC.

I believe that the only way he could become CU’s DC is if Bieniemy is the CU HC. That would send a bunch of Buff fans bat**** crazy but he would be a fantasic hire at DC for CU. Walters is a rising star in the industry.
I'd love that. But I think I saw that Walters is making $900k at Mizzou. We'd have to beat that and probably need to add something to the title (AHC?) to make it look like a promotion. Can we pay that kind of cheddar for our DC?

I'd love that. But I think I saw that Walters is making $900k at Mizzou. We'd have to beat that and probably need to add something to the title (AHC?) to make it look like a promotion. Can we pay that kind of cheddar for our DC?

I believe that the OC in this setup would not be a play caller and could come at a lower price, freeing up money for Walters. CU needs to join the million dollar AD club and it would be great if Walters was that guy.

Bonus Baby: Great way to get to see Walters up close to see if he is HC materiel in a several years when Bieniemy moves on.

I think there is a case to be made that this is the first time CU has had former Buffs that would be legitimate options for various positions. Bienemy as HC, Walters as DC and Chev as OC (would be taking cues from Bienemy).

Do you think Walters would need more than a pay raise to come back to where he grew up and went to school?

Do you think Walters would need more than a pay raise to come back to where he grew up and went to school?
Maybe not, but I posted that because he was interested in the HC job and I assume that a lateral move offer might be kind of an insult.

I am allergic to CU alums as coaches at this point, but I do think a 36 year old leading the #1 scoring defense would make my list regardless. Still iffy on my thoughts

The first time in history, being an alum at a university is considered a negative.

Unless he played at Neb or CSU, at that point its always a negative.

The first time in history, being an alum at a university is considered a negative.

Unless he played at Neb or CSU, at that point its always a negative.

My largest problem with Walters is that this job is going to be a very very difficult one, even for experienced head coaches. Walters trying to learn on the job here... I don't see it ending well for either party.

Add in that a lot of this fan base has "B4L fatigue" and ya... its going to be a tough sell.

My largest problem with Walters is that this job is going to be a very very difficult one, even for experienced head coaches. Walters trying to learn on the job here... I don't see it ending well for either party.

Add in that a lot of this fan base has "B4L fatigue" and ya... its going to be a tough sell.
I fully agree. Now if he wanted to come be DC. I wouldn't be mad.

Let him command the D and go out and spend big on an OC. If he has a good plan and is allowed to tackle the transfer portal like everyone else, I don't see why he wouldn't be at the top of the board for everyone.

Ryan would bring some huge excitement within the fan base and boosters. CU massively needs that. This would probably be a boom or bust type hire.

He’s seen a lot of offenses in the SEC and B1G. Would be curious which direction he’d lean for OC if he got the gig.

I’m leaning heavily towards no here. Ryan definitely has some good experience and his defense this year looks stout so he probably wouldn’t be the worst choice we could make, but damn if I’m not totally averse to alums and I feel like they’re more difficult to fire if it’s not working out.

I’m leaning heavily towards no here. Ryan definitely has some good experience and his defense this year looks stout so he probably wouldn’t be the worst choice we could make, but damn if I’m not totally averse to alums and I feel like they’re more difficult to fire if it’s not working out.
Honestly, Embree, Bienemy and Chev are the only alums who have coached here and left with a negative perception and Embree and EB were gone after 2 seasons. People say Dorrell was a former Buff but his only association with this program was a 4 year stint as OC almost 30 years ago. I think your (and most others) take is mostly recency bias with the Embree era disaster still on the mind.

This program needs a coach who can command the respect of admin and boosters alike. Walters isnt there yet. Hiring him now would be a mistake and would likely set his career back significantly. Hiring an up and comer won’t work for us. We aren’t in a position where a coordinator - any coordinator - would achieve success here. Too much internal restrictions to overcome and nobody willing to curtail those restrictions. He’d be set up to fail and I don’t want to see that happen again.

Back