What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shadow World - the recruiting of Deandre Ayton

Ayton and Marvin Bagley III should really be a case studies in exercising caution for the shoe companies funneling money to the people around the prospects. Under Armor paid a ton of money for his first high school program in the US, and then Nike sponsored his AAU team and presumably funneled him to UofA (a Nike school) . Bagley's family likewise recieved tons of money from Nike, who sponsored his AAU team and who also sponsors his college team (Duke).

Both those guys signed shoe contracts with Puma this week.

Since none of that stuff is regulated, the shoe companies can't exactly take these guys to court for breach of (oral) contract.

Ayton and Marvin Bagley III should really be a case studies in exercising caution for the shoe companies funneling money to the people around the prospects. Under Armor paid a ton of money for his first high school program in the US, and then Nike sponsored his AAU team and presumably funneled him to UofA (a Nike school) . Bagley's family likewise recieved tons of money from Nike, who sponsored his AAU team and who also sponsors his college team (Duke).

Both those guys signed shoe contracts with Puma this week.

Since none of that stuff is regulated, the shoe companies can't exactly take these guys to court for breach of (oral) contract.

While I partially agree, I still think the success rate of getting in early and landing them when they hit big greatly outweighs the downside of missing on a guy or two. I also think Puma could be a bit of a fluke situation here - they're new and looking to make a splash. I haven't seen numbers, but I'm assuming they dramatically overpaid to land these guys.

It's not really what some of you might think. It's not that Ayton or his family were dirty. There's no implication of Arizona.

But damn does it shed some light on AAU, handlers, shoe companies and the shadowy world of basketball recruiting for a top talent like this.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shadow-wor...rous-path-become-nbas-top-pick-040044927.html

I think the AAU/club scene has brought the sport more harm than good-that's where the shoe companies go to town to me.

Back