What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

Paying more than double to get 50% less in performance. That's what Larry Scott has built with his conference organization. It's shameful.

Thanks for posting this. Even though it pisses me off, it's a good read I hope everyone takes the time for.

The Pac-12 needs a new commissioner and it needs to restructure its operations.

We've been saying this for quite a while, but that piece really does a great job of putting the numbers into black & white.

I'd consider Chris Hill, the retiring Utah AD as an interim and head of the search committee to replace himself. Respected throughout the Pac-12 and for good reason. Dude did about as good of a job as is possible for the Utes. Here's a bit more on Hill: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-...rail-blazing-31-year-career-leading-the-utes/

that article is brutal. i thank scott for getting us into the conference, but the rev/expense analysis is eye-popping. and, there is really little doubt at this point looking back at tv deals, that the p12 ****ed up their tv negotiations. owning all the rights is an outlier strategy for sure. disney is about to pull everything from netflix and launch their own subscription service so maybe scott will be proven right about control but right now things aren't looking that great.

Paying more than double to get 50% less in performance. That's what Larry Scott has built with his conference organization. It's shameful.

Thanks for posting this. Even though it pisses me off, it's a good read I hope everyone takes the time for.

We've been saying this for quite a while, but that piece really does a great job of putting the numbers into black & white.

I'd consider Chris Hill, the retiring Utah AD as an interim and head of the search committee to replace himself. Respected throughout the Pac-12 and for good reason. Dude did about as good of a job as is possible for the Utes. Here's a bit more on Hill: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-...rail-blazing-31-year-career-leading-the-utes/

I'd look at a TV executive for the job. Sports leagues, such as the Pac-12, are primarily about selling their media rights these days. The Premier League also just hired a TV executive as their new CEO for that very reason. Selling and maximising your media rights is the single most important thing.

I look at it differently, where would we be without Larry? We should thank our lucky stars. Just wait till we corner the Asian market!

Logically they need to move the Pac-12 headquarters to a lower cost area. The bay area is cool, but those same facilities would cost much less to operate in Phoenix, or Salt Lake, or even Denver.

I mean, they can stay in the Bay Area or NorCal if they think it makes logistic sense, but there's no reason for them to bang in the city in SoMa. Move to Silicon Valley or LA and I think they should be able to slash those rent costs by quite a bit.

Logically they need to move the Pac-12 headquarters to a lower cost area. The bay area is cool, but those same facilities would cost much less to operate in Phoenix, or Salt Lake, or even Denver.

The money isn't a consideration, the league HQ isn't leaving California. No way that the four California schools let that happen. Unless the move were to Seattle or Portland the four Pacific Northwest schools would back the California schools.

They could certainly move to a cheaper location in California but compared to the three mentioned in the post anywhere they would consider in California would be much more expensive.

I am not sure if putting your administrative offices and a TV studio does much for that, tbh.
If they advertise and force the issue it does. How does having administrative offices and TV studio in Northern CA do anything? I bet people on the East Coast have no idea where the Pac 12 offices are currently located.

Who or what is in Las Vegas they'd be near to?
It's where the conference hosts its basketball tournament and will start hosting its football championship in a couple years. These are our 2 biggest events. Also going to be one of our biggest bowl tie-ins when that stadium is completed.

It's also central to the conference footprint, doesn't play favorites with any of the schools as a power base, is very easy to get to for the major media players and tech people (they go there all the time for trade shows and to meet with vendors), there's no better place to entertain domestic & international business clients, and the cost to run operations would be less than half what it costs in San Francisco.

Last edited:
As always, I kind of wonder why this article gets published now. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think nothing happens without a reason and it wouldn't surprise me if someone was trying to push Scott out of his job by having someone write an article where he highlights certain issues.

It's where the conference hosts its basketball tournament and will start hosting its football championship in a couple years. These are out 2 biggest events. Also going to be one of our biggest bowl tie-ins when that stadium is completed.

It's also central to the conference footprint, doesn't play favorites with any of the schools as a power base, is very easy to get to for the major media players and tech people (they go there all the time for trade shows and to meet with vendors), there's no better place to entertain domestic & international business clients, and the cost to run operations would be less than half what it costs in San Francisco.

Are there any media or communications companies in Vegas? That's what I'd look for.

It's where the conference hosts its basketball tournament and will start hosting its football championship in a couple years.

I hadn't considered Las Vegas, but it does make sense. I initially thought about Salt Lake because it would be low cost, has a major airport, and is central to all the schools. But Vegas pretty much checks all those boxes other than being a bit further from the Oregon/Washington schools. I like how it is also a neutral site. They conference really needs to slash its operating costs to benefit the schools.

If they advertise and force the issue it does. How does having administrative offices and TV studio in Northern CA do anything? I bet people on the East Coast have no idea where the Pac 12 offices are currently located.

As I said to Nik, I can see the argument for California as all the networks, communications and media companies have offices there and I think they're the kind of crowd the Pac needs to go for as they are the people who can make things happen for the P12.

The actual physical location of the TV studio is completely irrelevant to the viewer, I think. Whether they sit in Sydney, LA or somewhere in Idaho makes no difference to me, I just see the studio anyway or what they want me to see.

Not yet they dont... cough cough it's gonna be rick george cough cough

As I said to Nik, I can see the argument for California as all the networks, communications and media companies have offices there and I think they're the kind of crowd the Pac needs to go for as they are the people who can make things happen for the P12.

The actual physical location of the TV studio is completely irrelevant to the viewer, I think. Whether they sit in Sydney, LA or somewhere in Idaho makes no difference to me, I just see the studio anyway or what they want me to see.
I just don't see physical addresses of administrative offices and studios mattering when it comes to new business ventures, but Vegas is already the epicenter of the sports world as it pertains a singular location, and it's adding an NFL franchise, the Pac 12 football championship and already hosts the Pac 12 basketball tournament. As nik stated, it's also centralized in the footprint and far less expensive.

Are there any media or communications companies in Vegas? That's what I'd look for.
Why would that be important to you?

ACC is in Greensboro, NC. SEC is in Birmingham, AL. Those are not where the media & communications companies are located within those conference footprints. Rather, those are central locations with airports that service the conference footprint.

Big Ten is pretty much on the O'Hare Airport property. Big 12 is in Irving, TX, near the DFW Airport.

Access with lower cost than locating inside the big metro city seems to be the model for everyone else.

With the Pac-12, we got a commissioner who gets paid double or triple what other commissioners get and then chose to live and locate in one of the nation's most expensive real estate markets -- the frikin SoMa District of San Francisco. I wasn't happy about being in Walnut Creek, but that was better. The choice to make this move is emblematic of the type of leadership we have. More interested in the prestige of an address and living the good life than in rolling up the sleeves and getting business done efficiently. Larry Scott is a ****ing show dog and the decisions are the ones you'd expect a show dog to make.

Why would that be important to you?

ACC is in Greensboro, NC. SEC is in Birmingham, AL. Those are not where the media & communications companies are located within those conference footprints. Rather, those are central locations with airports that service the conference footprint.

Big Ten is pretty much on the O'Hare Airport property. Big 12 is in Irving, TX, near the DFW Airport.

Access with lower cost than locating inside the big metro city seems to be the model for everyone else.

With the Pac-12, we got a commissioner who gets paid double or triple what other commissioners get and then chose to live and locate in one of the nation's most expensive real estate markets -- the frikin SoMa District of San Francisco. I wasn't happy about being in Walnut Creek, but that was better. The choice to make this move is emblematic of the type of leadership we have. More interested in the prestige of an address and living the good life than in rolling up the sleeves and getting business done efficiently. Larry Scott is a ****ing show dog and the decisions are the ones you'd expect a show dog to make.

I am not defending the SoMa location, as stated above, and think the costs are completely out of hand and it seems like the conference leadership is primarily interested in serving itself rather than its institutions (which is hardly a unique problem for the P12) I can just see there being an advantage to being in the same physical location with your administrative HQ than some big players in the US media and communications industry.

I'm fully on the fire Scott bandwagon now. Guy tricked us with a solid vision but ****ed up the execution. **** like this is unacceptable. You get paid enough money so you don't need to worry about where you ****ing live.

I am not defending the SoMa location, as stated above, and think the costs are completely out of hand and it seems like the conference leadership is primarily interested in serving itself rather than its institutions (which is hardly a unique problem for the P12) I can just see there being an advantage to being in the same physical location with your administrative HQ than some big players in the US media and communications industry.
This exact point was brought up in the article. None of the deals the Pac12 has signed have involved anyone in the area (media or sponsor). If that is your justification for being in the area, you better damn well take advantage of it.

Back