What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Some takeaways from CU's loss to USC

Justin M Guerriero

Club Member
Club Member
What another fantastic finish to a conference game at Coors Events Center. After going up by as much as 11 over No. 25 USC in the first half, Colorado could not contain Chimezie Metu and the Trojans' offense, falling at home to Southern Cal, 71-68.

There's some good that I saw in this game along with quite a bit of bad. I'll start with the good.

And that would be Mr. George King. His 16 points tonight was one point shy of his season high (vs. Notre Dame.) A big Achilles heel of this team has been the inability of King, Fortune, Gordon, etc. to score points (preferably in the double digits) in the aid of Derrick White and Xavier Johnson. So, I hope that this game will reinvigorate King's ability to be a solid addition to CU's offensive scheme. May Josh Fortune follow suit soon.

Now, onto the bad.

USC scored 20 points off of Colorado turnovers tonight. 20 points for the love of god. This is certainly not the first or probably last game where this has been somewhat the case, and it is a major hinderance to this team. 20 points scored off of the Buffs' 17 turnovers. Madness.

Next is the Buffs' season-long tradition of being absolute garbage from the free throw line. Colorado went 7-of-13 from the charity stripe tonight and it doesn't take a person of even moderate intelligence to realize (especially in this given game) how much it's hurting the team. It's really almost comical at this point. How the hell are we this bad at free throws??

Next comes the inefficiency of Mr. Wes Gordon. 25 minutes played, 2 points scored. His 8 rebounds were nice, and second on the team behind King's 9, but this lack of offense is appalling. I'd like some feedback on these next few sentences...do you think Wes is being misused? He spends so much time on the wings and doesn't do much there. Should he be positioned to utilize his size and skills closer to the rim? I certainly think so.

Random thought here-- Is Josh Fortune on a slippery slope right now? He's been a noticeable non factor this year and his minutes are diminishing by a significant margin. He certainly needs to increase his offensive output but I wonder what Tad Boyle's thoughts on him are right now.

I noticed how disheveled Deleon Brown looked after being pulled out the game after 2 minutes. It's fair to wonder if any of these guys (besides White) have any confidence left in their game.

With a 11+ man rotation, it seems like everyone is on a short leash at all times. Why can't we just play out best 7-8 guys on a nightly basis??? It would be great to develop some chemistry/confidence.

One last note--- Recruit some BIG MEN! Tory Miller is not going to cut it.

With quick minutes players are trying too hard or are too tentative for fear of making mistakes. They have good stretches but limited as not in rhythm. One win could make world of difference.

My takeaway? Ferris Bueller said it best.... "You're still here? It's over. Go home!"

Making the tourney now would be surprising. I realize tough starting schedule etc.... but to make it you have to be mentally tough. And we show no inclination to develop that toughness. I love White & Dom's play, happy to see King return to form, and XJ has been a ball of fire. But after that, the team is inconsistent and / or undisciplined.

One win would make a huge difference for this team, especially seeing what their schedule looks like from here in. CU should get at least a good 6 wins down the stretch, if Tad can hold ALL the players together and no one folds. But if they can get a nice confidence boosting win immediately, say at Wash, that could open the flood gates and the team could potentially finish HOT, with 9, 10, and maybe even 11 wins.
Their only hope for making the NCAA tournament, aside from winning the conf tournament, is to win at least 10 of their final 13. That gives them 20 wins total, 10 conf wins, and another Top 25 win (assuming) against Oregon at home. I expect this team to get hot and start winning beginning this week. Once CU faces Oregon they'll be a much different team, and hotter than hell. Under Tad CU has never put that kind of a run together, but there is an outside chance they could do that here this year. Every season there are always 2 or 3 teams that started really slow then get hot down the stretch, and make the NCAA's.

However, I could "at least" see this team finishing 8-5 down the stretch, giving them a reasonable finish to the season and a decent conf record and overall record. I think they'll get an NIT bid with that type of finish. The main thing is simply getting these players to buy into it, and the longer one goes without a win, the more defeated (of course) they'll become.

I noticed how disheveled Deleon Brown looked after being pulled out the game after 2 minutes. It's fair to wonder if any of these guys (besides White) have any confidence left in their game.

With a 11+ man rotation, it seems like everyone is on a short leash at all times. Why can't we just play out best 7-8 guys on a nightly basis??? It would be great to develop some chemistry/confidence.

One last note--- Recruit some BIG MEN! Tory Miller is not going to cut it.

I couldn't agree more!! Look at the conference ... more importantly look at all the "upper tier" teams, they all have a good 3 to 4 BIG'S that their rotating in and out, and all are 6-10 or bigger and very athletic. CU has two guys that are plodding along in Gordon and Miller. Both are good kids but neither really fills out the roll of "starter". They're both roll-players. Both capable of occasional stretches but neither is really a threat for long stretches, and the opponenents know that. Even last year I though CU was maybe 1 guy short on the interior. I know that Tad wants to rely on his wings for big rebounds but when the opposition is playing two guys (at 6'10 or bigger) all the time, it's difficult to accomplish his expectations with the wings. CU needs to add another couple of BIGS!

I couldn't agree more!! Look at the conference ... more importantly look at all the "upper tier" teams, they all have a good 3 to 4 BIG'S that their rotating in and out, and all are 6-10 or bigger and very athletic. CU has two guys that are plodding along in Gordon and Miller. Both are good kids but neither really fills out the roll of "starter". They're both roll-players. Both capable of occasional stretches but neither is really a threat for long stretches, and the opponenents know that. Even last year I though CU was maybe 1 guy short on the interior. I know that Tad wants to rely on his wings for big rebounds but when the opposition is playing two guys (at 6'10 or bigger) all the time, it's difficult to accomplish his expectations with the wings. CU needs to add another couple of BIGS!

... and furthermore, while I respect the signing of Bey and Battey, they both are still only 6'7". Bey might be closer to 6'8". Personally I would have liked having them sign Schwartz and Bey, but then going after a highly rated BIG that is 6'10 or better. A banger. Someone who wants to be in the post and banging things out with Dallas Walton over the next few years. Look at Cal, Utah, USC, Oregon, AZ and UCLA ... they're all running with multiple BIGS.

As far as I'm concerned, CU should be playing a rotation of their best 7 to 8 players, period. I'm sorry if there are FR and SO on your bench who don't like it, but it's their responsibility to earn their keep and playing time. Just because one is a scholarship player doesn't mean he automatically gets minutes and playing time.

I would say your top (5) are G-Collier : G-White : F-King : F- XJ : F-Gordon
Your top-three/four off the bench are G-Peters : G-Fortune : G-Brown : F-Miller

I'm sorry but Akyazili has done nothing for the squad this year, neither has Siewart. Those guys are stealing minutes from the above mentioned. That's not good!
If Akyazili and Siewart don't like this ... then they have two options : 1) Stay the course and improve and get better, or 2) Transfer somewhere else. I'm sorry but THAT is college basketball in 2017.

I won't give up and I'll always have hope.

Tad's 2nd year when the team couldn't compete on the road and we were ready to run Carlon out of town and give the minutes to a younger player... until the Pac-12 tourney happened. That has stuck with me.

This team has the pieces and is closer than we think.

Fortune needs to be a water boy. Should never see the court again.

How many games this year has he had more turnovers than points? I know he averages as many turnovers as assists, and if your primary job is outside shooter, 28% should earn you no minutes. Period.

Work on next year, the NIT is a pipe dream at this point

I considered the ASU game critical, and USC last chance. I'll be following Buff basketball, but my expectations are minimal. Hoping to not have a losing overall record. Hope the P12 tourney is a fresh start. But not expecting.

How many games this year has he had more turnovers than points? I know he averages as many turnovers as assists, and if your primary job is outside shooter, 28% should earn you no minutes. Period.

You know what's scary? He doesn't even have the worst TORate on the team. Yaz has a TORate of 26.9%. Fortune's at 23.6% and Dom is 22%.

Fortune's whole statistical profile has taken a nosedive the last few weeks. They were never good, but holy crap has he tanked. Dude has an ORtg of 66 in P12 play.

You know what's scary? He doesn't even have the worst TORate on the team. Yaz has a TORate of 26.9%. Fortune's at 23.6% and Dom is 22%.

Fortune's whole statistical profile has taken a nosedive the last few weeks. They were never good, but holy crap has he tanked. Dude has an ORtg of 66 in P12 play.
Last year, Fortune's turnovers were devastating in their timing. This year, they are EVERYWHERE. He has regressed as you pointed out but in my opinion, he no longer tries. Last year, he tried to hard at the crucial moments.

Last year, Fortune's turnovers were devastating in their timing. This year, they are EVERYWHERE. He has regressed as you pointed out but in my opinion, he no longer tries. Last year, he tried to hard at the crucial moments.

Fortune's turnovers were atrocious, but the two consecutive turnovers in the final minutes by Peters last night could have been worse. Totally unforced, they just bounced off of his leg while dribbling.

Fortune's turnovers were atrocious, but the two consecutive turnovers in the final minutes by Peters last night could have been worse. Totally unforced, they just bounced off of his leg while dribbling.

Should have had more playing-time by this point anyway. Freshman gain confidence and awareness with more PT. Yaz, Siewert, Fortune should have given up their mins to Peters and Brown after CSU debacle.

As far as I'm concerned, CU should be playing a rotation of their best 7 to 8 players, period. I'm sorry if there are FR and SO on your bench who don't like it, but it's their responsibility to earn their keep and playing time. Just because one is a scholarship player doesn't mean he automatically gets minutes and playing time.

I would say your top (5) are G-Collier : G-White : F-King : F- XJ : F-Gordon
Your top-three/four off the bench are G-Peters : G-Fortune : G-Brown : F-Miller

I'm sorry but Akyazili has done nothing for the squad this year, neither has Siewart. Those guys are stealing minutes from the above mentioned. That's not good!
If Akyazili and Siewart don't like this ... then they have two options : 1) Stay the course and improve and get better, or 2) Transfer somewhere else. I'm sorry but THAT is college basketball in 2017.
Siewart is totally lost on defense, so unless he's a scoring or assist machine don't understand why he's playing. Unless Akyazili can shoot better, it's like playing 4 vs 5 on offense. He's regressed if anything.I'd rather see more Peters and Brown, go small. Unfortunately that means we will get abused in the post/block at times.

I don't know what some of you are bitching about. The bench has been shortened. Siewert got 2 minutes last night. Same with Akyazili, 2 minutes. Brown got 6 minutes. That is 5% of the available player minutes per game.

Tad doesn't have a whole lot of options. I don't think that he can shorten the bench any more than 8. Derrick White played the most minutes of any player in the game(either team) and it showed at the end of the game. He was noticeably fatigued at the very end and could not get to the rim. I'm pretty sure that coereg is wrong, that was White that dribbled the ball off his leg in the final 1.5 minutes.

The turnover total was artificially inflated due to the non-calls by the refs. I can definitely say that 3 or 4 of those to's should have resulted in us shooting free throws instead of hustling back down on defense. That said, the 13 or 14 to's were still twice the amount that USC gave up. We probably would have missed the FT's anyway. So, yeah to's, horrible free throw shooting and the refs contributed but that wasn't the worst thing.

The worst thing that I saw last night was the large number of easy putbacks we allowed by not boxing out. I don't care if you're boxing out air, you still need to do this. Especially after we got burned a couple times. USC scored easy putbacks on 2 consecutive trips down the court in the second half because George was "resting" and figured Wes would pull the board. The lack of weak-side defensive rebounding was also noticeable at critical times. There was nobody in position.

Oh yeah, the other dip**** move was our student section throwing stuff at the Trojan bench that resulted in a Technical foul and 2 made free throws. Thanks morons.

The Buffs finally shot the ball well from the field and almost overcame all of the negatives. Almost. These guys need to be better conditioned and have much more focus on the fundamentals. Some(maybe a lot) of this is on Tad.

I don't think you can ask much more from Derrick White. XJ played well. Dom was adequate as a reserve. Tory cannot and never will be able to play D at this level but his offense was good coming off the bench. Peters is a freshman and the minutes are well spent at this time.

The rest of this season (no surprise) hinges on whether Gordon, King and Fortune can pay attention and play some ****ing ball.

I don't know what some of you are bitching about. The bench has been shortened. Siewert got 2 minutes last night. Same with Akyazili, 2 minutes. Brown got 6 minutes. That is 5% of the available player minutes per game.

Most of us want to see Brown getting MORE minutes a night, not less. We're not wanting to shorten the bench by cutting out Brown. I think one of the general issues that played out in this particular game is Brown only got 6 mins, and Fortune got 14. Most people want to see Fortune getting 2 or 3 mins at most. Fortune for the season is averaging 22 mins a game, Yaz averages 12 mins a game. If Collier, Brown, and Peters can't fill those mins between them, then we DO have a problem, because it means they are incredibly out of shape. Are those three better than Fortune and Yaz? I think so, and I'd rather have our promising freshman, and Collier (who can shoot), playing over Fortune and Yaz.

UCLA plays 8 players total. They run and gun way more than we do, and are not as tired as we look, even though they have 4 players averaging over 30 mins a game. We have one player who plays over 30 mins a night. Granted, Lonzo Ball is a freak of nature for a freshman. But Brown & Peters can handle more than 6 & 13 minutes a night (which is what they got vs USC).

We're going to be up the creek next year with a ton of freshman/first year players and only a few veterans. Got to get Brown and Peters playing big boy minutes ASAP.

Last edited:
We're going to be up the creek next year with a ton of freshman/first year players and only a few veterans. Got to get Brown and Peters playing big boy minutes ASAP.

Next year's team will have Collier, King and Miller as returning seniors, plus Namon Wright (Transfer) who played 20 and 26 MPG at Mizzou as a Fr/So will be a 4th year junior with a year in Tad's system. I'd expect the three seniors will be starting and playing around 80 minutes between the three of them, add in the minutes that Wright plays plus at least 8-10 MPG from Yaz and it projects out that at least half the minutes and most of the starting lineup should be coming from upperclassmen.

Next year's team will have Collier, King and Miller as returning seniors, plus Namon Wright (Transfer) who played 20 and 26 MPG at Mizzou as a Fr/So will be a 4th year junior with a year in Tad's system. I'd expect the three seniors will be starting and playing around 80 minutes between the three of them, add in the minutes that Wright plays plus at least 8-10 MPG from Yaz and it projects out that at least half the minutes and most of the starting lineup should be coming from upperclassmen.

You think Yaz is getting 8-10 minutes per game next year?

You think Yaz is getting 8-10 minutes per game next year?
Yes, at least, he's at 12 per game this year.

I don't think he's any stud, but I'm failing to see why there's so much disdain for him on this board. As far as backup guards on a middle of the pack power conference team go, he's not a bad option. I'd like to see him shoot less 3's and make his free throws, but he's not the only guilty party on this team. I think he comes off the bench and if he's going good or has a good matchup we see 15-20 minutes of him; otherwise he just fills a few minutes to be an acceptable ball handler when the other guys are sitting.

The takeaway is that hopes for this season are lost. 0-5 with roadies ahead. It's a hole we're not getting out of at this point. Beyond disappointing. This team could have been so much more.

I don't think he's any stud, but I'm failing to see why there's so much disdain for him on this board. As far as backup guards on a middle of the pack power conference team go, he's not a bad option. I'd like to see him shoot less 3's and make his free throws, but he's not the only guilty party on this team. I think he comes off the bench and if he's going good or has a good matchup we see 15-20 minutes of him; otherwise he just fills a few minutes to be an acceptable ball handler when the other guys are sitting.

Yaz really surprised me last year (I thought he was going to be terrible), and I was hoping for a good step forward from him this year. However, for the moment, it seems like his Euro experience may have just prepped him better for college...and he maybe is what he is. I like the kid, but I hope...WISH...that he does not get 12 mpg next year if his game stays the same. I hope Brown, Peters and Collier all regulate him to a critical practice player. This is all of course based on Brown, Peters, and Collier taking steps forward in their game.

I'm scared about our PG situation next year. It's becoming pretty obvious that Dom needs to play the Levi Knutson role where he plays off the guard and shoots for us with some occasional ball handling. That leaves Wright (who's not a PG), Peters (who...well, I don't know what he is yet) and Yaz to run the show. And honestly, I have zero faith in Yaz. Honestly, he was bad last year. But he was a freshman so you could focus on the bright spots and hope for improvement. But last year he put up an ORtg of 91.5, a 21.3 TORate to 18.4 ARate ratio and the worst shooting percentages on the team in eFG% and TS% by a large margin (TS% was 5.1% lower than the next lowest of XT if you discount Guzo who was at 44.3% to Yaz' 43.9%). This year he's somehow gotten worse. His ORtg is 83.6 (ahead of only Siewart and WAY behind the player that most people on this board are ready to have kicked off the team in Fortune who has a 95.2), his shooting is down to 39.2% TS% (ahead of only Siewart and 2.5% points below Peters) and his eFG% went from 40% last year to 35.1% this year. The only real positive you can come with is that his ARate has gone up to 25.5%, but his TORate has jumped too and is 26.9%. And he's getting less minutes than he did last year (38.4% of minutes last year, this year is 29.9%).

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but I think at this point expecting anything from Yaz next year is a bit foolish.

(Note: we'd better pray that Peters makes the leap from his freshman to sophomore year that some guys do, because his numbers aren't exactly inspiring either)

BTW, this article is a little old, but typically players improve the most between their freshman and sophomore years. The interesting thing is that the biggest leap is between freshmen who were less polished than others. It could go along with what @dyemeduke said about Yaz's European career possibly limiting his bump this year. It also gives me a little bit more hope for Peters & Siewart.

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/233596/Is-The-Sophomore-Leap-Real

Love Yaz's energy, aggressiveness and enthusiasm on the court.

But if you can't shoot and you turn the ball over a lot, you aren't able to deliver winning basketball.

Back